PDA

View Full Version : Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast

Deathscythealpha
Mar 31, 2006, 01:51 PM
Came out in the UK today and I had to pick it up. Was a tough choice, as the Xbox version is sexy as hell, but in the end i decided for the PSP version just to see how hard Sumo Digital had pushed the machine with this conversion.

They pushed it helluva hard!

The game looks amazingly good on the PSP. Theres no pop up, you can see a long way into the distance and everything looks sexay. Occasionally the close ups when you finish a race go a bit glitchy, but nothing major.

Gameplay is addictive and run. Simple racing is a joy and slipstreaming can be done with great ease to allow you to really push the speed limits. Drifting is also easy to pull off and looks extremely cool when you manage to drift all the way around an S Bend.

Heart Attack mode is crazily fun. All you have to do is impress your girlfriend by completing the challenges set to you. The challenges are pretty normal. Pass all the cars, dont crash into anyone, drift a full curve, dodge the meteorites...Ok, not all of them are normal. The challenges are not to hard to learn, but difficult to master (I still cant dribble the damned beachball!) and the presentation of these challenges is done in a nice, fun SEGA style.

Music manages to be good as well, featuring some good mixes of the classic Outrun themes whilst mixing some new ones in there. Vocal tracks arent too great (Cheesy Sonic Adventure/Daytona style lyrics and singing), but intrumentals are easy to listen too.

Overall a top game thats going to be eating a lot of my spare time for the next few weeks.

Sinue_v2
Apr 1, 2006, 02:37 PM
Hmm... wasn't OR2:C2C just an updated version of OutRun for the Xbox/Arcade? I haven't played 2006, but I own the Xbox version and I have to agree with alot of what you said. It's pure and simple fun in the distinct Sega style which they are (or were) legendary for. It's everything the original OutRun was - but with a whole lot more. Sega's other departments should take notes on how Sumo Digital creates followups to their classic franchises.

It's a shame that more people didn't buy it, and probably won't buy C2C for the PSP. The industry really needs more of these types of games.

Deathscythealpha
Apr 1, 2006, 03:33 PM
On 2006-04-01 11:37, Sinue_v2 wrote:
Hmm... wasn't OR2:C2C just an updated version of OutRun for the Xbox/Arcade? I haven't played 2006, but I own the Xbox version and I have to agree with alot of what you said. It's pure and simple fun in the distinct Sega style which they are (or were) legendary for. It's everything the original OutRun was - but with a whole lot more. Sega's other departments should take notes on how Sumo Digital creates followups to their classic franchises.

It's a shame that more people didn't buy it, and probably won't buy C2C for the PSP. The industry really needs more of these types of games.

Outrun 2 SP was the original version that you may be thinking of, Coast 2 Coast includes the original OR2 tracks, the OR2SP tracks and both game sin one package.

The games only just come out in the UK for PS2, PSP and Xbox. I keep recomending it to everyone at work now.