PDA

View Full Version : Anime for Review: (Update : Elfen Frog)

Sayara
Mar 31, 2006, 03:00 PM
So, I may not be the hugest anime buff of all the land, but i do sit and watch anime every once and a while. So here is 6 animes in review that i've had the "honor" to watch:

Pita-Ten
All Ages (TV Y[Y-7 to get the romantics])
26 episodes, currently only avaliable through the net
Genres - Comedy/Romance/Fantasy
"BASED" on its Manga by Tokyopop

dig it, Take the story of a lonley young man, mother dead, and father at work all the time. Not a very "comedic" story is it? Well why don't you toss in some pink hair nut case as his next door neighbor. We're getting there... How about the young man's two best friends, a braniac and a loudmouth? And to top it off, add one very shy girl and a bunch of other zany characters. Confused yet? Good because this is Pita Ten.

Kotaru, are protaganist is a boy, trying to get ready for his exams to get to high school, with his two friends, Ten-chan and Kobashi. But enough about them, the real hilarity comes when a girl from "out of town" named Misha becomes Kotaru's next door neighbor. With a bizarre wardrobe, and a brain compacity of a nut, you'd love to have a neighbor like her! But when she wants to be your mother, then you've crossed the line. When this little set up isn't enough, in comes Mitari, a rival for Tenchan, his sister, Tenchans unrequitted lover, and Shia. A "demon in training" who is too innocent to be considered a demon. Take this set up, slap digi charat randomness, with sappy situations and you got Pita-Ten anime. As of episode 13, the anime is very loosely based on the manga. The manga is very successful in being dramatic, its very hard to pull this off with everything thing (including the scnery) being incredibally bright and happy. Not that this is a bad thing or anything.

Alot of the voices here (for Subbed, since i have yet to see an american release) can slowly get on your nerves (ala Shia and Misha) but if you're faithful enough to the manga, you'll stick through this 26 epsiode run of a manga pittled in happy cutsey dust.

Ichigo 100%
Teen (aka TV14/ T) Rated on nudity,
Genre - Girl Harem, Romance, Comedy, Drama, Ecchi
12 Episodes (split into 2 half segments) only avaliable through the net.

To the unknowning, A Girl Harem anime is one that has one male main character, involved with the hillarities of alot of female characters. Some prime examples would include Love Hina, and Tenchi Muyo. And when you even DARE mention Girl Harem, you're suspected to getting alot of fanservice. Boobs, underwear, whatever you want. Ichigo100% is no different.

This high school type anime sports our pim- errr main character Manaka Junpei finding a dream girl fall from the air (while he is on the roof of his school) to reivel some, strawberry panties. This underwear is going to be a big running gag in this anime. He being a big film buff and all, he wants to find this girl so he can redo the scene for a movie. Because everyone loves romance and strawberries. In comes the girlfriend who is sorta unsure with their relationship, the tomboy and the little sister type cousin. who with each of their own emotion and what not, all have some sort of attraction to the main character. Much like Tenchi Muyo. (Even the cabbit wanted tenchi!) .

I'll give it this much, being harem, eechi anime, they are very good in planning their fanservice well. From bending over to just LANDING on someone, they are "thoughtful" i guess, unlike say Agent Aika, which is a whole different case. And the story is rather interesting, instead of just OMFG RANDOMNESS, its... OMFG RANDOMNESS WITH SOME SORT OF STORY. A dramatic aspect also exists too, betweem the ex and our pimpin hero. On a final random note, Ichigo is Strawberry in Japanese, so those strawberry panties are kinda the mascot underwear for the show.

UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie
Older Teen (OT, TV14?) Rated on nudity, violence, and language
12 Episodes, with the first episode on DVD for Newtype. Episodes 1-4 will be released for DVD soon through ADV Films.
Genre - Comedy, Ecchi, Girl Harem

And so, how many overdone cliches do you know for an anime? Catgirls? Check. Bathhouse? Got that. Angels and Demons? Yup. Aliens? Yep. ONE male character in a situation of MANY women? Check-o. What we have here is the Excel Saga of the eechi kingdom. Being a bathhouse anime, you can expect nudity. Its a given. But the way this anime does it is downright weak. BEHOLD I BURST FROM A ROBOT NAKED. A bit much ya? One thing about the nudity though. Every single boob, every crotch that IS visible (besides sideboob) has been censored in the preview dvd. Will it be in the real dvd? Who knows. But seeing 6 or so pairs of ADV FILMS makes me thing about those old "GIRLS GONE WILD" commercials on Comedy Central while waiting for South Park to come back on.

Well as the story goes, Kazuto dies(zomg spoilers!!) when a giant spaceship crashes on his parent's bathhouse (who are conviently not home to see this.) Inside this ship, one angelic like figure, the Valkerye mourns for the loss, and gives up 1/2 of her soul to keep this poor dude alive. The side effect? She becomes an half pint little girl. The idea of big/little character reminds me of WISH (for you crazy Clamp fans out there.) So what she's an 8 year old tyke. When she wants to become her full power, she must kiss Kazuto and regain her soul (in sense Kiss of Death) and she grows. Like literally, in a Sailor Moon esque transformation...including growing boobs, with necessary ADV FILM nipple. Now i may be one for that ol fashioned fan service, but this one takes the cake, in the direct wrong direction. Much like anything Love Hina author has done. <_<

Green Green
Rated Mature (TV MA) for nudity, violence and sexish stuff. (whoda thunk it!)
Genre - Comedy, Romance, (you guessed it) Harem
12 episodes soon to be available to DVD by "Mediablasters"

It is becoming sad to declair that a good chunk of anime these days fit these catagories:
Girls in the plentyful and one smoozer boy, Super fantasy, lolicon )younger children fanservice) or Robo. And this anime, is no exception. Now i only got the patience to watch but one episode, but it was enough for me to turn it off. Haha.

Take an all boy school acadmey thing in the middle of the woods. Everythings fine, silly situations between men happen. All is fine and dandy. But when a all female school gets drafted to co-link with this all boy academy, things begin to change.

Take very many cliche girl types and throw them into a blender, mix them all together, and you got the main girl cast for the show. Including one over perky glompy girl who of course is attracted to the main character, (who gets him in major trouble with everyone at the end of story 1.) Lets just move on... >_>

Ghost Story
Older child (TV-Y7ish?) For mild language, "scary moments" and violence.
Genre - Comedy, Horror, Kid Show
20 Episodes avaliable NOW for DVD by ADV films

Here was something for a taste of new media. An anime that isnt souly (haha funny) based on girls or sex. We have here, a very likely canidate for a saturday morning cartoon type show. episode 1 anyway, has excitement, suspense, scary stuff and a few wise cracks here and there. (Though censoring two silly jokes would be kinda obvious to tv these days)

Anyway, when two kids (brother and sister) move to a new city (and meet their nextdoor neighbor by "not so fashionable" methods [if you get the drift], their cat wanders off into an abandoned school house, known to be haunted. Along the way, An older girl's hat is also lost into the same building. So to rescue the hat, and the cat the two siblings, the neighbor and his friend, and the taller girl venture inside to meet the horrors of their lives.

The characters are rather pleasable for a story of which, A smart talk sister, a feeble weak brother, the adventerous neighbor, his geeky friend and the god blessing older girl (who will probably piss you off the most). Oh and a cat too.

Last but totally not leastly:
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Older teen/Mature (TV14/MA) for Violence, Nudity, Sexual Content, Adult ideas, and Religion
Genre - Giant Robo/Sci Fi/Action/Drama/Suspense
26 episodes are avaliable for DVD by ADV films

So here it is. The big daddy anime that anyone is required to see. And honestly, im glad i did. Finding a serious anime is very tough to come by these days with the growing trend of female sex humor being so rampant.

Lets hear a tale of Shinji Ikari. A boy with no mother and a father who basically "disowned him". Seems like a quite depressing life eh? Well the true trouble begins when he is enrolled into "NERV" the same company that his father is a part of. And to make matters worse. An "angel" is attacking and he has pilot a giant robot named an "Eva" Oh my!

At that moment, you'd imagine it was the first of many Giant Robo save the world type anime, but once you sit and watch it further and further its dark secrets become revieled and at very alarming rates. Not to spoil you, but you will be baffeled of what exactly is HAPPENING with this NERV organization, and the people involved in it.

On the technichal side, the anime is dated. Very picky people could dismiss the anime for not being a SFX powerhouse. And some could dismiss the voice actors for the English dubbing. To me they are fine, but i have not watched the subbing of this anime. On a random note, on Adult Swim's airings of the show, any curse word outside of Damn and hell are censored ala Jerry Springer bleep. Quite amusing actually. That and its the first anime i see on that channel have different TV ratings through the show. (In example one episode is TVMA vs the others that are TV14)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tingle on 2006-05-20 13:02 ]</font>

Alucard_Zer0
Mar 31, 2006, 04:02 PM
ahhhh good ole Eva FTW! such a good series. i want the directors cut: "prepare to be confused all over again"

Deathscythealpha
Mar 31, 2006, 04:48 PM
On 2006-03-31 12:00, Tingle wrote:

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Older teen/Mature (TV14/MA) for Violence, Nudity, Sexual Content, Adult ideas, and Religion
Genre - Giant Robo/Sci Fi/Action/Drama/Suspense
26 episodes are avaliable for DVD by ADV films

So here it is. The big daddy anime that anyone is required to see. And honestly, im glad i did. Finding a serious anime is very tough to come by these days with the growing trend of female sex humor being so rampant.

Lets hear a tale of Shinji Ikari. A boy with no mother and a father who basically "disowned him". Seems like a quite depressing life eh? Well the true trouble begins when he is enrolled into "NERV" the same company that his father is a part of. And to make matters worse. An "angel" is attacking and he has pilot a giant robot named an "Eva" Oh my!

At that moment, you'd imagine it was the first of many Giant Robo save the world type anime, but once you sit and watch it further and further its dark secrets become revieled and at very alarming rates. Not to spoil you, but you will be baffeled of what exactly is HAPPENING with this NERV organization, and the people involved in it.

On the technichal side, the anime is dated. Very picky people could dismiss the anime for not being a SFX powerhouse. And some could dismiss the voice actors for the English dubbing. To me they are fine, but i have not watched the subbing of this anime. On a random note, on Adult Swim's airings of the show, any curse word outside of Damn and hell are censored ala Jerry Springer bleep. Quite amusing actually. That and its the first anime i see on that channel have different TV ratings through the show. (In example one episode is TVMA vs the others that are TV14)

Shows get an age rating for Religious content in the states?

Eva is one of my all time favourite animes, and I have watched through it several times. The old school SFX dont bother me, especially since it was made in 1996. It is interesting to note the extreme drop in actual animation in the final few episodes of the show, caused by a lack of funding (SEGA cut a lot of their sponsor ship due to the extremely violent nature of a few of the later episodes. Probably had something to do with the show being shoved in the childrens time slot originally). I remember one scene where Misato is talking to another member of the cast for about 5 minutes, and in this whole time there is no animation at all! Just static images.

Directors Cut adds some more animation to the show, but the majority of it has been harvested from 'Death'. The new animation just seems to add to the tragedy of some of the major characters (Asuka especially).

End of Evangelion is one of the most depressing movies ever. I prefer the original ending to the TV show, even if they had the animation budget of around zero. Not that I dislike EOE, as its still a very good movie, just very sad.

Its wierd that this topic showed up now and mentioned Eva, as I just got my copy of Yoshiyuki Sadamoto's 'Der Mond' through the post (Ive been after it for about 2 and a half years now). The concept art for the characters is great too look at, the original design for Rei is very different too.

Bah, I could babble on about Evangelion for ages. I will quickly recomend the manga to fans of the show, as it makes a few interesting changes to the progress of the plot.

Sayara
Mar 31, 2006, 05:44 PM
I suggested "Religion" because some people would be rather against having religon protrayed as it is in Eva. Tis all.

the actual TV guide (for US anyway) have it as Violence, Language or Sexual Content (or just naked-well you know)

Alucard_Zer0
Mar 31, 2006, 08:07 PM
you've heard they're making a movie out of it. i believe a live action one

InfinityXXX
Mar 31, 2006, 10:27 PM
Wow, thank you for the reviews Tingle. My best friend was in love with Ichigo %100 and he had pictures of strawberry panties(from the comic) on his drawing folder. I've never read it but he seemed to really enjoy it.

My brother is into Neon Genesis and there are a lot of people that love this anime but I've caught some episodes and it looked really cool but I don't really know the storyline that much.(I've seen the 1st episode, a flashback episode and some other ones)I keep promising myself to watch it but I end up falling asleep.

Have you ever heard of an anime/manga called Full Metal Alchemist? What do you think about it?

Sayara
Mar 31, 2006, 10:40 PM
I'll do that one with some other poor saps next time. (typing some right now. XD)

Saraphim
Mar 31, 2006, 10:53 PM
I've seen some of Neon Genesis, and thought is was cool. Call me old school, but I believe EVERYONE should be required to see Ghost in the Shell, Akira and Fist of the North Star. These are classics not to be missed, and Fist is just fun to watch a lot of people get creamed ! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Sayara
Mar 31, 2006, 11:32 PM
PARANOiA Agent (lol, had to do it)
Older Teen, Adult (TV14/TVMA) - Rated on Violence, Sex and Drugs
Genre - Mystery, Psychological, Horror
13 episodes are avlaiable for DVD by Geneon

Doubt anyone expected such an anime to air on Adult Swim, with all the Inuyasha, Cowboy Bebop and Whatelse they have being on, this seemed like a total different change. Being the first of an actual thirlling/disturbing anime on AS seemed like it was gonna flop. Oh by the way the director for Paranoia Agent is Satoshi Kun. Whom is famous for his very dramatic and serious movies (the titles are slipping my mind though... Tokyo Godfathers come to mind.)

Take the story of a young lady and her carrer of making Cartoon Characters. She made a big hit with her lastest work, Maromi the pink cute little doggie. Though when asked to make a new one, better then Maromi, she struggles and fails. Haven't you had this position before. You are running out of time and you need to do something. Wouldn't a little accident here or there be convient to get you out of a sticky situation? Little did she know, her wish was about to come true.

It takes one cry for wolf. To cause an national uproar. That night, our "heroene" was hit in a hit and run assault. Who was it? Apperently, a Boy with a golden bat. With this little info, big talk and turmoil surrounds the idea of the boy and his golden bat.

One thing i like about PA is the fact that each episode do not directly relate to one another. Episode 1 is about the Maromi creater, while say episode 3 is about a whore with double personallity. Yet each story is directly connected. Every character intwines with one another, in a very longated (13 episode) chain reaction of ...well paranoia. The show heavily relies on the idea of "Escape your torture" because hey. Nobody wants to deal with that. lets note that the intro song is by far the most nerve racking song to be used for an anime. (if you can hear it, DO SO!)

Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi
Older Teen (TV 14) rated for Nudity and Violence
Genre - Comedy, Fantasy
13 episodes avaliable on DVD by ADV OR possibly on the anime network

When Gainax isnt doing Eva or Kare Kano. Gainax gets its hands into some interesting conctions. As you know, the company "Gainax" produced both Evangelion, Kare Kano (His and Her Circumstances) AS WELL as FLCL and now this bizarre story of Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi. As like FLCL, Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi is a total dope rush. Psychotic and bizarre. It would be an interesting vision to see the two mixed actually.

In the quaint Abenobashi Shopping Arcade in Osaka, Two friends are inseperable. The dimwitted, Sasshi and the smart mouth Asahina. Things seemed perfect for these two friends, until a chain of unfortauate events threaten to split the two apart. In Asahina's attempts to comfort Sasshi, the Shopping Arcade opens into a bizzare new "Warp field" of sorts. The real insanity begins here. While saying Abenobashi is a random anime with no plot (ala Azumanga) you'd be mistakened, because the plot is retold at the beginning of each episode. Just to make sure you haven't forgotten.

After episode 1, the series begins to do a "Lets do a different anime cliche" theme to the Shopping Arcade. Where everyone acts the same like they would in the real shopping center, just with a fancy template. Themes include Space, 30's mystery type, a Army war game and geek's favorite, RPG land. Another thing that remains consistant is Masamune, hugely developed young lady who is looking for someone special, She is an equivallant of say the Red Guy from Cow and Chicken. She blends into the world, but is totally out of this world! This anime is rated for nudity, i say this because of just about Masamune by herself, is a boob parade, (of which even evoloves from a boob at one point.) In the end, its a good hysteria with an actual story. Whodathunk it.

Fullmetal Alchemist
Teen to Older teen (TV 14/TVPG) Rated for violence
Genre - Adventure, Drama,
51 agonizing episodes soon to be entirely avaliable by Funimation

When they say that things are forbidden, you should actually listen to what it is. But that would totally destroy the entire series... Anyway, when two brothers Ed and Alphonse perform the "Forbidden" Alchemy to ressurect their dead mother, they lose everything they own. Well almost. A brother and some limbs. Big deal right? Well this begins the ongoing 51 episode hurrah for Ed to get his brother, and his limbs back. And undo the sin they have performed.

On the exterior, FMA looks like an adventure anime with protaganists and villians. But deeper inside the anime, its very dark and moody. Something you'd expect from SquareEnix anyway right? Like Evangelion, you need to actually focus to appreciate this anime, after the first 20 episodes anyway (this is when it really gets down and dirty.) One thing i appreciated was the fact of keeping things light when it was growing too depressing. Like episode 26 being a happier brighter episode to put behind the tragic #25. And the one episode of the militaries offday. The other positive of this anime is you can relate to the cast. Well, maybe your neighbor ed doesn't have robotic limbs, but each characters personallity, and emotions are very realistic, and beleivable. You can feel sorry for the characters when they are dealt with mindblowing tradegies left and right. In my eyes, it was irritating all the drama the show goes through, for SUCH a result is bothersome. Though don't let that let you down, its still an amazing anime. One of which with great music choices as well. I am trying my best to be very general with this anime, because one spoiler and you're ruined. So if you haven't seen this yet. Go! Go and watch it now, especially with a movie now in production.

InfinityXXX
Apr 1, 2006, 12:14 AM
Lol, yes I loved the review for Paranoia Agent, a favorite of mine(I'm still a bit confused though) and for Full Metal Alchemist.

You have to tread lightly reviewing FMA for it can be spoiled very easily.(I was pissed until I found out there was a movie comming out *you and other fans know what I mean*)

But it has a very deep and complex story that really nice and to be honest, When I first saw it, I too thought it was gonna be a very cliched anime but I was proven wrong.

Deathscythealpha
Apr 1, 2006, 02:58 AM
Ah, FMA, brilliant Anime. Was so addicted to it in my first year of University, would wait and download it everyweek. Ive only just managed to watch the movie this past wednesday (Someone at the Anime Society I go to had a copy) and sadly it doesnt really top anything that happened in the anime itself (It really just feels like its there to be there to be honest).

I have not got around to watching Paranoia Agent yet and the first DVD is still sitting on my shelf. Sounds a little bit like Boogiepop Phantom, another show I would recomend to everybody, as long as you have a strong stomach for some gore.

Sayara
May 7, 2006, 04:41 PM
RESSURECTION LOLZ

Two more animes up to plate.

Nanaka 6/17
Older Child (TV Y7/G) Rated on language, and mild violence
Genre - "Slice of Life", Comedy, Drama
12 Episodes slowly becoming avaliable to DVD in the United States (by ADV). (Well, its the feature for the May Newtype Magazine as well.)

GROW UP! Im sure plenty of us have heard this statement, but what if the person who needs grow up...really NEEDS to grow up? This is the story of Nanaka, the 17 year old who would rather study for her college exams then to attend gym, or have a social life. Wait wait, she was not always like this. Long long ago, when she was 6, she was a very childish, baby-esque girl. She had a best friend named Neiji who's been her best friend since well always!

Well back to the now; Nanaka is known to pester Neiji to growing up, to finally he snaps at her. Some drama ensures, and Nanaka...well falls down a flight of stairs. When she wakes up however, she was no longer the 17 year old she use to be, but the 6 year old!

In english: Her brain is of a 6 year old.

For what its worth its got a quirky charm to it. While a more mature-er audience might take it for a kiddy flick, it has some sort of "memory" of how you were as a 6 year old. Granted you don't parade around chanting sailor moon spells, but ...well you get the idea.

ADV is growing nortorious for having better and better dubbing voices, and this is no exception. And musicly wise the ending theme is quite a catchy little number. Anyway, final verdict: Want to see a 17 year old act like a little kid, go pick up a copy.

Midori Days
Teen (aka TV14/ T) Rated on nudity, violence and language
Genre - Comedy, Drama, Romance
13 Episodes Now avilaible via DVD by Mediablasters.
Read the manga! By viz comics

It goes without saying when you've been offically dumped by 210 girls in a row. Well, its alittle understanding when you're Seiji, the man nortorious for your killer right hand punch!!

I'd be scared of him too honestly! But poor Seiji, all he wants is a girlfriend...besides his right hand anyway. A day goes by, and much to his surprise... his right hand has transformed!!! ...Into a girl! Not just any girl but of Midori; the one girl who actually has a crush on Seiji. Now this becomes a major problem for Seiji's reputation. The man with the killer right hand.... now a cute little girl?! How ever will Seiji and even Midori deal with this perdicument.

The anime, is very friendly in using major exaggerations. In random dream takes, movie reels, or just a complete bizarre face outbreak. And this is what makes the anime amusing. The characters interact in such a cartoony fashion, when the anime has an undermeaning SERIOUS plot. If you like a random lovey anime, with miscellenious jokes left and right, give Midori Days a shot, OR even read the manga by Viz.

Sinue_v2
May 7, 2006, 07:48 PM
Wait... Neon Genesis Eveangelon is getting a live action movie? When did this happen? Is it going to be a JP only release - because for some reason, I don't see it going over so well in the US or EU. Macross might do fairly well... but Eva?

Gah.. when are they going to do a Ghost in the Shell live action movie? If done properly, I think that would do really well worldwide.

Sayara
May 14, 2006, 08:05 PM
Lets let this week be a Video Game Anime Run.

Kirby! Right Back At Ya! (Hoshi no Kirby)
All Ages(!) (TV Y/TV G) (Though light cartoon violence is possible)
Genre - Fantasy, Action, Comedy
100 Episodes are only avaliable through watching the FOX BOX on your local Fox Brodcasting Station (I do not know who runs it for Canada's channels) by 4kids

It seems like a dream come true. Kirby, a character whos games have lit our Nintendos and super Nintendos for years, shootin fire outta mouths, suplexing big enemies, becoming a rock it was a great game!

Then there was news about an anime. A ANIME ABOUT KIRBY. It seemed perfect, though by the time we hit the series here, it didn't seem to be what we expected.

Kirby find himself stuck on a planet with its inhabitants who become infatuated with the little pink dood's powers. The king (who is King DEDEDE) is angered by this and calls the Nightmare (you know, the Vampires's name?) Monster co to "KEEP" summoning monsters to defeat Kirby, so he could become the top of attention again.

For what it is worth, it seems like an interesting plot, I just have a hard time dealing with alot of these characters; they're cliched or just downright repulsive. Kirby's a slowwit child type, theres the surfer type dood, the overcynical girl, and so forth. Even Metaknight seems to fit a antihero type role (vs his original Kirby's Rival/Enemy ordeal). While the sound quality isn't terrible its music is. 4kids have a tendency to make low quality intros/extros but this one takes the cake.

To quote the games directly: MISS

Sonic X
Older Kids (TV Y7/TV G) for Action, Violence and the "Indirect" mentioning of death
Genre - Fantasy, Action, Adventure, Science!
78 Episodes avaliable to watch on FOXBOX (Again on your local fox broadcasting channel)

Sonic as a tv show has happened alot in its time. The Adventures of Sonic, The serious-er Sonic with the Archie Cast, Sonic Underground, the Sonic Animes. He's been around the block. So hearing a new sonic anime has begun brodcast made alot of Sonic fans wet dreams come true. Especially with its posterart including Shadow the Hedgehog.

When a rescue mission goes wrong, Sonic and his pals (and enemies) are transported from their world to the real world. Where Sonic is found by a young lad Chris Thorndyke. This is Sonics *and Chris'* adventure to get Sonic and his pals back to their real world.

Mmm, sonic X either you love it or you hate its nuts. When dubbed the show got horrible (and i mean horrible) reviews from the sonic elitsts for anything you could think of, Intros, voices, cutting, censorship you name it! While alot of it is truthful, alot of this senseless bash is just that. Senseless bash.

Granted, the quality of the anime is quite par. Not too choky, yet not exceptional, its very bright and happy; Much like most sonic games, SPEAKING OF WHICH alot of the plots for the anime revolve around the sonic games:
SOnic Adventure 2
SA 1
Sonic Battle
then a totally unrelated season (which was hated the most by the elitists for dub). If the anime were more faithful to the series they are reinacting it would of probably did better. (Rumor has it "Live and Learn" was not included during the fight against Final hazard). Plus in the final season, there are two deaths, and 4kids *yes them again* altered them quite a bit. Tsk tsk,

Voices is what turns off alot of the fans. They'd appreciate if they had the game's voice actors do their jobs; but with the voice for Robotnik gone, 4kids just went and got new people and to top it off ditched the original voice actors entirely and got new ones for all new sonic games (past Sonic Heroes) that really got every one disappointed. My regrets to the voice actors are they lack a changing acting voice. Knuckles' voice actor is exactly the same as how Yami Yugi speaks. (4kids is naughty for this alot, some dude in the Sigma six is Kaiba in army clothes)

Music is also a naught. The intro is actually ACCEPTABLE (for a change?) but the in show music is quite goofy at times and don't really work. And the missing music from the games for specfic moments shadow's death? would of been quite nice.

Disgaea
Older Child (TV Y7/G) for Violence (Cartoony and not), Language (Laharl mentions damn alot, and the currancy is HELL and Etna XD
Genre - Action, Fantasy, Science!
12 Episodes are still in development.

Disgaea. The most nortorious RPG to hit our side as an Anime. Can you feel the excitement dood!! Granted theres a trend of animes flopping from games (As my last 2 reviews show) but Disgaea can't be that bad right?

The Son of the Overlord of the Neitherworld is asleep for 2 years. In this time his oldman passes over, and all hell breaks lose in the netherworld! Laharl awakens to take back his rightful place as the overlord, and rule it with his amazing fist!

Well playing the game i can say they've made a key mistake already. They are not loyal to the storyline. As of episode 1, the series jumped from Episode (of the game) 1 to 4 to 10 to 4 to 6 and back to 3. (or something less exaggerated!) and at alot of occassions just does not feel like the game at all, is that good? Bad?

voices (i assume) are the same as their Japanese voice over's roles and thats quite a positive thing because that can give its english dub (maybe??) a chance to get the English voice actors a 2nd run through. (And that'd rock) and the music actually uses the in game music as its music choices; a very wise choice because Tenpei Sato was a genius for the music in those games.

Sgt_Shligger
May 14, 2006, 09:49 PM
FMA is a great Anime. The last episode is amazing.. I loved it. You need to include a review on Trigun, Samurai Champloo, and Full Metal Panic.

InfinityXXX
May 14, 2006, 10:31 PM
There was a kirby anime!? Woah, where was I at. I watched Sonic X only for Shadow and refrences to Adventures 2 but I stopped watching it after the third episode and ended up missind the Adventures 2 plot.

I always wanted Disgaea but I can never find it. It looks really cool.

Sayara
May 14, 2006, 11:03 PM
Its on at terrible times in the morning (The Kirby Anime anyway.) It's like next to that DOREMEI anime thing, and before all the Bratz/Winx stuff.

Deathscythealpha
May 15, 2006, 04:43 AM
Disgaea disapointed me a lot. It just doesnt feel like theyve captured the spirit of the game at all, and the way story points have been swapped around really annoys me. Me and my flatmate (Who is a huge Disgaea/Nippon Ichi fan) watched the first episode, and whilst i cringed all the way through it, he just up and left.

Sayara
May 20, 2006, 03:01 PM
Lets return to the Anime Scene!

Keroro Gunso (Srgt Frog)
Older Child (Tv-y7, TVPG) for violence and language
Genre -sci-fi, action, comedy
too man-117 Episodes availiable in Japan
Based off the Manga Sgt. Frog by TokyoPop

ALIENS!!! Its an invasion, the earth is DOOOMMMEDDD. Well this is exactly what Srgt. Keroro wants to hear happen. Meet our Alien Invader, Keroro, Interesting fellow, has a love fetish for Gundam Models, the leader in taking over earth, and pretty good looking too. Minus the catch that...he's a frog.

Things were going well, until he was caught and made a prisoner of war/slave to the Hinata family. This is the not so simple lives of the ongoing war of earth and the frog. Having read the manga, i wanted to give the anime a chance. And let me tell you it is quite a very clean cut conversion. See, the Manga Sgt Frog was alittle more preverse (its rated Teen in book form) so with that piece out in the anime, this is a perfect show for kids and adults alike. The only difficult issue with Sgt Frog is the sheer number of cultural references and Pop culture (for Japan anyway) that it'll be a danger zone to get everything to make sense. Furthermore like in the manga, word art and interactive words also invade alot of time.

Sound wise, you gotta be able to deal with the squeaky squacky voices, 2 of the 5 have very squeaky voices (Keroro/Tamama) then theres Kururu and his...well...awkard voice. and the Music uses alot of random songs mesh with Keroro voice actors to boot. In the end, good silly series, a translator's nightmare.

Elfen Lied
Mature (TV-MA) for Heavy Violence, Sexual Scenes, Nudity, Language and anything you could think of.
Genre - Sci-fi, Action, Suspense, Horror, Psychological
13 episodes avaliable for DVD by ADV Films

Before i begin, let me express my appreciation to the series intro (which is findable via Youtube) for being the most art gorgeous i've ever had the pleasure to see. On with the show:

Elfen Lied has got to be one of the most down right deranged series i tried to watch. The story begins with Lucy, a "Diclonius, a mutated homo sapien that is said to be selected by God and will eventually become the destruction of mankind, possesses two horns in their heads, and has a "sixth sense" which gives it telekinetic abilities. . ." (Anime News Network, Internet), is heald in a labratory facility. Until one day she breaks free and leashes an unexplainable amount of havoc to anyone who gets in her way, (and also gives you a fine example of what to expect in the series also, if heavy violence isn't your thing then i'd suggest you drop this title completely.) She almost makes a complete escape until snipped in the head, That next day, two kids find a strange nude lady by the beach who can only say Nyuu.

Lucy/Nyuu has an amazing sort of Scihzophrenia in her, however most of the time its by her own will. When she is Nyuu she's slow, childish and innocent, but admist returns to her havoc causing self when she returns to Lucy. Now clearly, the facility doesn't want her to do what she pleases! They bring back up... including other Diclonius..

In any case, this anime is gory, very gory. That alone can be enough to turn it off (it did for me, thats for sure.) Later on in the series things get more and more bizarre and just unpleasent to watch...at least the intro theme is nice...right?

Eihwaz
May 20, 2006, 04:13 PM
I'm a gorehound, and the entire introduction scene of Elfen Lied is one of the bloodiest sequences I have ever witnessed. Lucy literally tears people in half, severs heads and limbs, all without raising a hand. She even uses a pen or two as a lethal long-range projectile.

I've only watched a couple of episodes of it, but it's somewhat interesting. The battle sequences are cool, but somewhat few and far between.

Sayara
May 20, 2006, 06:31 PM
Don't forget the human shield waz :|

navci
May 20, 2006, 08:45 PM
Meh. I watched quite a few episodes of Elfen Lied. I found it to be really overrated. Sure it was bloody and gory, but I have seen worse. I don't like Nyuu. She annoyed the shit out of me. I found her disgusting, she and her stupid "innocent sexual appearl" ... I don't really like Lucy much either. The whole thing turned me off. But the opening sequence IS pretty.

Keroro ALL THE WAY.
Keroro is like the epitime of Sunrise mecha nerd parody show. It makes fun of just about everything out there robot-like. It makes me cry. <3
http://www.whats-here.com/fun/keroro/3afro.jpg

Hmm. ALl the voices are adorable. I <3 person who did Keroro's voice, she makes me laugh.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: navci on 2006-05-20 18:49 ]</font>

Sayara
May 20, 2006, 09:00 PM
Did i mention an avid Keroro fan? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif