PDA

View Full Version : My mother and home school, and a little on the rest of my fa

Wyndham
Mar 31, 2006, 08:22 PM
Okay, I'm going to makje a short rant about my mom's opinions on how homeschool should work.

My mom spends lots of time on school for us. she spends all day trying to get my sister (ten years old) to work, and fails miserably. My sister never lifts a finger, sits at the dinner table all day drawing Amy Rose from Sonic the Hedgehog, on pink paper, with huge eyelashes and calls it her art class. My mom spends all her time yelling at my sister to work, and at the end of the day, she sits down and spends time on the computer. She looks at web pages on textbooks, and a message board for the Pennsylvania homeschool whatever. She has us work in American and english history books, Singaporian math books, Singaporian Biology, and high-priced video-lectures on the history of science, Geometry, Algebra, and Calculus.
Now, keep in mind that I spent 600$ on the video courses and corresponding textbooks, because she told me I had to.
My younger brother wakes up at 7, starts school at 8, and finishes at 2, because he takes no breaks. I can't wake up that early, because my pills knock me out for up to 14 hours at a time, at least 10.

My mom NEVER goes anywhere except for church and the grocery. She opposes videogames in every nd all forms, and tv too, except for PBS. So if you do anything wrong, you KNOW what's happening. My little sister though, she somehow manages to squeeze in at least 2 hours of tv a day, and an hour of computer.

My grandmother and grandfather are extremely religious, seeing as how my grandfather is a minister. My grandmother has FINALLY given up on telling me to get a haircut, which she started after mistaking me for a female babysitter for the family.

My younger brother Myles is probably the only one in my family who agrees with me most of the time without going overboard. He is nuts. He obsesses over "graphic adventure games" (Sam and Max, Grim Fandango, etc), and his favourite band makes biker gangish music, and Myles only has six of their songs.

All of this drives me crazy.

zwandude15
Mar 31, 2006, 08:39 PM
I heard from my girlfriend there was a different form of homeschool. She was reading something in a magazine to me over the phone.

The kids homeschooled only learn what they actually want to know.

So instead of learning Math, Biology, History, Foreign language, and English, the kid can instead choose to learn something else that he/she is actually interested in.

I forget what the 'type' of learning it is though. Sorry.

To your original post though, I see how this could drive you mad. It's life. But you've gotta live it.

Allos
Mar 31, 2006, 08:50 PM
Acquire and start listening to any and all forms of metal. If your family is as religious as they seem to be, they'll stop bothering with you.

No, I'm dead serious. It works.

navci
Apr 1, 2006, 01:01 AM
Ya know. I never am crazy about the whole "home school" idea.
Kids that went through home school will likely never learn this valuable thing called "social skill". >.> Especially in the situation that you are mentioning, it seems like someone has controlling issues. ._.

Maridia
Apr 3, 2006, 06:28 AM
On 2006-03-31 22:01, navci wrote:
Kids that went through home school will likely never learn this valuable thing called "social skill". >.> Especially in the situation that you are mentioning, it seems like someone has controlling issues. ._.

Indeed. I agree completely.

That sucks, Oran. :/ I hope you're indeed learning important things. And yeah, I think you have suffered a lot from the lack of a proper social environment. If you start out shy, you just stay shy that way. You'll have to actively work on that when you get older if you find it's a problem. Good luck.

KodiaX987
Apr 3, 2006, 07:06 AM

I went through normal school and I have as much social skill as a two-by-four.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Apr 3, 2006, 07:10 AM
On 2006-04-03 05:06, KodiaX987 wrote:

That's because you're a DC fanboy which doesn't exist in the PS2 world of High School. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Home schooling being chosen by your parents for you must mean they know something we don't.

But eh, if it gets too frustrating, remember that you're learning for yourself, and not just to get your mom off your back so you can go play some videogames.

Don't compare the progress of your learning to a younger sibling at all!

navci
Apr 3, 2006, 02:58 PM
On 2006-04-03 05:06, KodiaX987 wrote:

I think that is lack of a school situation but more of you actually refuse to learn any social skills. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

PJ
Apr 3, 2006, 03:09 PM
Kids that went through home school will likely never learn this valuable thing called "social skill". >.>

I dunno. Before I did home schooling, I was very shy. After homeschool, I was less so, but somehow I don't think it had a direct connection with the home schooling thing at all.

If someone lacks social skill, I think it would either be the parents fault, the individuals fault, an uncontrollable problem (Say a mental thing, not to be offensive), or a past experience. I dunno.