PDA

View Full Version : Survey of 15 Most Influential Game Series in Japan

amoralist
Oct 5, 2002, 10:08 AM
From The Magicbox (http://www.the-magicbox.com):

- Japanese publication has conducted a survey for the 15 Most Influential Game Series in Japan, Square's Final Fantasy took the first place with almost 3 times more votes than the second place. Here are the titles

01 Final Fantasy (Square)
02 Dragon Quest (Enix)
03 Biohazard (Capcom)
04 Super Mario (Nintendo)
05 Phantasy Star Online (Sega)
06 Shin Megami Tensei (Atlus)
07 Street Fighter II (Capcom)
08 Sangoku Musou (Koei)
09 Genso Suikoden (Konami)
10 Metal Gear (Konami)
11 Zelda (Nintendo)
12 Virtua Fighter (Sega)
13 Tactics Ogre (Quest)
14 Xenogears (Square)
15 Super Robot Taisen (Banpresto)

PSO ends up at #5, pretty good for a 2 year old series (the online series).

merlin
Oct 5, 2002, 11:26 AM
I'm definitely not surprised by the first four, but Phantasy Star at number five surprises me.

Not bad at all!!!

spawn
Oct 5, 2002, 02:10 PM
I can't trust that considering the Dragon Quest games sell ten times more than any final fantasy game. There is a law in Japan prohibiting Enix from releasing a DQ game on a week day due to the unrest it causes in all the shopping districts and plaza's and the traffic jams it causes along with the people skipping work and school.

amoralist
Oct 5, 2002, 04:19 PM
If you were reading the quote (check the source if you're so skeptical), the list of games are the most INFLUENTIAL, not POPULAR games in Japan.

Wewt
Oct 5, 2002, 04:32 PM
Influential meaning what exactly? The game that produced most clones?

amoralist
Oct 5, 2002, 04:53 PM
Yes and no.

in·flu·en·tial (nfl-nshl) adj.
1. Having or exercising influence.

in·flu·ence (nfl-ns) n.
1. A power affecting a person, thing, or course of events, especially one that operates without any direct or apparent effort: relaxed under the influence of the music; the influence of television on modern life.
2. Power to sway or affect based on prestige, wealth, ability, or position: used her parent's influence to get the job.
A. A person who exerts influence: My parents considered my friend to be a bad influence on me.
B. An effect or change produced by influence.
A. A determining factor believed by some to affect individual tendencies and characteristics understood to be caused by the positions of the stars and planets at the time of one's birth.
B. Factors believed to be caused by the changing positions of the stars and planets in relation to their positions at the time of one's birth.

It effects other producers' works. I.E. Biohazard made other companies realize they can actually scare people with noises (hell, Biohazard 2 still scares and frightens me a bit). Final Fantasy put square back on the map as its last attempt before their company announced bankruptcy. PSO, well, it's the first online console rpg, not to be mistake for first online rpg. Super Mario, raised all standards on all platforming series with their out of hiatus graphics. Metal Gear introduced a very interactive environment of tactical espionage. Hell, you can make that stupid girl(Emma) you're carrying around wet herself.

Remember this is a survey taken in Japan. If I were skeptical about anything here (ahem...) I'd be skeptical about who took the survey, if it were widespread in age, area, sex, and other areas.

merlin
Oct 5, 2002, 05:44 PM
Yeah...
.....and the only thing that scares me as far as influence is concerned is the heap of shitty Grand Theft 3 clones that are about to be dumped onto us.

Sometimes I hate working in the game industry......but very rarely!!!

Danderdag
Oct 6, 2002, 12:57 AM
That's about as meaningful as a gamefaqs poll. Seriously.