PDA

View Full Version : FanArt: Looks like I'm a bit late...

ladyjaderiver
Apr 5, 2006, 12:43 AM
-_- I didn't finish this during March, as I had hoped to, so I guess I'm late for "Lolita-month".

Ah well. I spent two weeks on it. I guess I'm happy with how it came out? I really like some parts of it, but I hate others.

Constructive comments are most appreciated, though I'll take feedback of any kind.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/ladyjaderiver/PSOFanart/goth.jpg

>.> If anyone is curious, this is actually supposed to be my FOmar and HUmar done up all gothic-like - Lucius (the FOmar) is crossdressing, of course. ^_^ This is my take on what would happen if my FOnewearl, Demi, ever had the chance to dress these two however she wanted.

Cookie to anyone who guesses who I used as references for this - one is fairly obvious, the other, no one IRL has guessed yet.

navci
Apr 5, 2006, 12:53 AM
Well you know I always liked your pencil work.

Hmm. Now, a wild guess, Lucius looks like Mana. >.>
But then, all gothic lolitas look sorta Mana-like one way or another. Well, I am guessing that is the obvious one. The other dude, er, ... kami? I dunno It is prolly just the straight hair that is doing it.

This isn't a critique, more of an observation.
For a lolita, she/he has awfully large thick fingers. XD I think it is prolly the gloves, but then it would look okay on the guy. On the "girl" whose feature and dress are so delicate, that just seems a little out of place.

Something about the left arm on Lucius bug me. I am not sure what. It just kinda stood out. But ya. Damn creepy goth people.

trypticon
Apr 5, 2006, 12:57 AM
You have no idea how much I respect every bit of artwork I see from you. This is no exception. The right arm of the chick, well the right arm from the direction she is facing, seems to be pulled a little tightly into the body, as if she's straining against something. The thick fingers I dismiss because she is wearing gloves. Gloves make the fingers look thicker. You can still see the lines coming out of the dude's tie, but that's easily overlooked.

I love this work!

Sagasu
Apr 5, 2006, 01:04 AM
first of all,

woah. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Secondly, as you have both parts you like and dislike, I'm pretty sure you already know what you would do differently a second time. But, I do notice that some of the folds on the arms (around the joints really) that dont follow the shading and thus make them look a bit broken.

I want to pet the HUmar's hair~

ladyjaderiver
Apr 5, 2006, 01:12 AM
Hmm. Now, a wild guess, Lucius looks like Mana. >.>
But then, all gothic lolitas look sorta Mana-like one way or another. Well, I am guessing that is the obvious one. The other dude, er, ... kami? I dunno It is prolly just the straight hair that is doing it.

This isn't a critique, more of an observation.
For a lolita, she/he has awfully large thick fingers. XD I think it is prolly the gloves, but then it would look okay on the guy. On the "girl" whose feature and dress are so delicate, that just seems a little out of place.

Something about the left arm on Lucius bug me. I am not sure what. It just kinda stood out. But ya. Damn creepy goth people.

You're right on my reference for Lucius - it was Mana, and that's the obvious one. My reference for Raven (the HUmar) was not Kami - Kami scares me, to be honest. >.<;;

Thank you for the criticism, everyone who has replied so far. ^_^ Those things were all things that I had noticed, but it's nice to know people care enough about the artwork I post to notice those things as well. The stuff about the hands/gloves, though? That's just because I fail at drawing hands. I did a much better job than I usually do, though.

If I wasn't so dang sick of working on this, I would probably go back and fix the problems. Maybe in a couple weeks I'll revisit this. >.<

trypticon
Apr 5, 2006, 01:17 AM
On 2006-04-04 23:12, ladyjaderiver wrote:

If I wasn't so dang sick of working on this, I would probably go back and fix the problems. Maybe in a couple weeks I'll revisit this. >.<

There is really little reason to revisit this other than to look at it in admiration for a job well done. If you're going to do anything else, just shade in more where the shaping lines are still visible at the tie that the dude is wearing to cover them up a bit more. This really does look wonderful.

bluelikekurt
Apr 5, 2006, 12:32 PM
That is pretty freakin' awesome. I can tell you spent forever on it, the pencil work is so smooth. I would've driven myself crazy shading something like that. KUDOS!

I don't know who to guess now, she said Kami, and I would've guessed him...um, I'm guessing it's not Malice Mizer then. I got nothin'.

Again, awesome job!

ladyjaderiver
Apr 5, 2006, 01:24 PM
I DID drive myself crazy shading this. >.< I'm too much of a perfectionist about my pencil shading - which is actually why I don't do it very often.

>.> Just because it's not Kami doesn't mean it's not someone from Malice Mizer. You guys are on the right track. (I <3 Malice Mizer) That's the only hint I'm giving.

Ancient
Apr 5, 2006, 02:10 PM
Wow thats really quite good ladyjaderiver. And if I might take a minute to sound really cheesy...you've taken American Gothic to a whole new level there. If he had a pitchfork or something, the parody would be complete. Although you might not have meant it to be a parody of American Gothic, it was the first thing that shot through my head when I saw it.

Sharkyland
Apr 5, 2006, 02:27 PM
Excellent work, LJR... yeah it looks like it really took a long time to do.

navci
Apr 5, 2006, 07:13 PM
If it isn't kami, then that left us with a few more choices. Either the MM Gackt, Kahla (or whatever his name was), or Kozi. I am gonna venture a guess that it isn't yu~ki. Nor I think that looks like Kozi. So... I am gonna go with the MM Gackt.

Sgt_Shligger
Apr 5, 2006, 07:32 PM
I am not the best judge for art so I won't try to critique this... it's beyond my level. The folds look incredible though combined with the shading which gives it a 3D look although the faces seem a bit flat to me because of the lack of shading. Also, not to be rude, those were supposed to be guys or they are guys? I don't get the conversations going on...

ladyjaderiver
Apr 5, 2006, 08:40 PM
-_- You should read my comments on the piece, SgtShligger. I explained that directly under the picture.

>.> And you're actually wrong, Navi. It was Yu~ki. I actually don't have that many pictures of Malice Mizer (just three videos, two random pictures, and the pictures inside the two singles I have), and I drew my inspiration for Raven from the pictures of Yu~ki in the Kyomu no Nakade no Yuugi and Beast of Blood singles.

navci
Apr 5, 2006, 08:56 PM
Damn. Stupid yu~ki without moustche! ._. I cannot picture it. It doesn't exist! OMG :< XD Good one to throw people off!

ladyjaderiver
Apr 5, 2006, 09:15 PM
Lol! I didn't actually intend to throw anyone off, at least not that way. >.> I just think Yu~ki is gorgeous in the pictures of him I have.