PDA

View Full Version : The real value of Meseta in PSU

FayteEternal
Apr 7, 2006, 02:39 PM
I'm still doing research and plowing through as much information as I can about PSU so again, if this topic has been covered you'll have to forgive me.
Assuming money in PSU will still be called "Meseta", I'm just curious if it's value and substance will be altered for PSU.
An example would be in previous PSO games (Console FF games as well) meseta was for all intents and purposes - worthless. Everyone had 9999999 meseta in the bank and probably on them. The same can be said for FF console games where gathering large sums of gil was really painless and easy. However the value of gil radically changed in FFXI where making gil was difficult.
So, I'm curious if Meseta will actually be valued and obtained from an economic stand-point in PSU, or will everyone have 999999 in their banks again...
Your thoughts on this please^^/

Kupi
Apr 7, 2006, 02:52 PM
"We don't know and we can't know because we have not had direct experience with the game and Sonic Team has not told us about it."

That'll answer 95% of questions about this game right now.

To speculate, however, it looks like Sonic Team is trying to make the Meseta more valuable with a system that resembles a player-driven economy, but something about the weapon vendors in towns reminds me of PSO's well nigh useless shops. It could go either way; given the precedent, I'd say it leans toward a valueless Meseta.

physic
Apr 7, 2006, 03:49 PM
I think meseta will have worth, but i dont think it will have ffxi worth, look towards probably a guild wars level of worth. The way they make weapons customizable means that you will probably need decent amounts of cash on teh ready, as well as needing to get duplicate rares, if you wish to upgrade them. i imagine other things wil need cash as well

Pseudo
Apr 7, 2006, 05:38 PM
I hope they dont put a tax on items when trading, the whole idea of getting inflation in a game makes me laugh. No doubt you`ll see people selling things for a ludicrous price to stop everyone from having 9mil meseta, as far as im concerned i never worryied that much about money in the games and always used the weapons,armour etc that i found from drops.

However I'd probably save up for clothing items and My room ornaments ^_^

FayteEternal
Apr 7, 2006, 06:49 PM
Hmm 9 mil meseta eh? Well that brings up the idea of individual player money cap exceeding 999,999. The thing about using what you find is in large MMO's many many rare items/armor's require a large number of players, skill and time to defeat the mobs that drop them. Another aspect is certain rare and valuable items come from high level crafting/synthesis. Interesting to see how it goes...

OdinTyler
Apr 7, 2006, 06:57 PM
Well I know I intend to be a crafter (& 1 of the better known ones). Having had past experiences of having to rely on others for items, some charge exorbitant amounts. Of course, crafting costs a fortune too, but, I can always make that back...or so thats the idea. I'm sure meseta will have more value in that an auction house was introduced as well as tons of items to wear & display within your home.

Forever Zero
Apr 7, 2006, 07:55 PM
I sure hope it's not as valuable as FFXI gil. I swear, I spent more time making gil in FFXI than actually PLAYING the game. That was no fun. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

FayteEternal
Apr 7, 2006, 08:44 PM
That's the beauty of crafting and camping NM's^^/
I landed 35 million gil for the Shura Haidate-1 I made, over 125 million gil for my splits from selling 3 kraken clubs (Lord of Onzozo dropped 3 for us in the 2 years we camped it off and on) and millions from BCNMs/ENMs. So it's possible the comparison between the values of meseta and gil could be similar, we shall see

fumatanera
Apr 7, 2006, 10:06 PM
the whole ecomony of FFXI completely turned me off to that game. it's trying too hard. how is that an aspet of gameplay? spending more time farming and camping certain monsters over and over than advancing in the actual game and leveling your character. i hope PSU's economy isn't that ridiculous. i'd rather have it the same as PSO with almost no economy than to have FFXI's.
crafting can very interesting and rewarding, but again if it takes more time than actually advancing in the game, it's not worth it.

PrinceBrightstar
Apr 7, 2006, 10:10 PM
Meseta did drop in the E3 demo. Ammounts of about 100 each I think.

FayteEternal
Apr 7, 2006, 10:35 PM
Fuma, after 2+ years of playing FFXI and doing literally everything there is to do in the game, making money was our drug of choice. Also, making gil is necessary in keeping your (buyable) equipment and items current; In my case I wanted HQ everything^^;;
Money isn't everything but it's nice to have and you never know when you'll need it.

physic
Apr 8, 2006, 12:20 AM
for me i think money was too big in ffxi. It became teh most dominant factor, and caused people not to be able to level certain area, fight certain monsters, finish certain quests without paying some one for an item. Some of tehse problems cant happen, simply because psu isnt an MMO and your only competing with 5 people at a time, still liek others said better it be worthless than overvalued imo. As far as crafting in this game, i havent seen anything to suggest you must be a "crafter" and specialize, seems you just get the eq the items needed and the cash and roll the dice. since people will probably be trying to upgrade a lot, that should use up cash. who knows what else will. Game with an economy is fine, but being too defined by cash rubs ne wrong

OdinTyler
Apr 8, 2006, 12:32 AM
On 2006-04-07 20:10, Jonathan_F wrote:
Meseta did drop in the E3 demo. Ammounts of about 100 each I think.

Well, I've been trying to tell ppl that since October. You'd think SOMEONE would listen.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 8, 2006, 12:48 AM
I think the economy of PSO is just fine. Sure Meseta is only useful for too litems and Charge special, but the economy is based mostly on PDs or other rares, which I think is a good system.

Duelle
Apr 8, 2006, 02:01 AM
I think the money will be worth more. One reason that FFXI has some problems, aside from gil sellers, is that there aren't many good money sinks. The only places to spend money that disappears on a regular basis are riding chocobos and airships. Most everything else is free.

In PSU, it appears that there will be a few more money sinks with weapon upgrades and such, maybe interplanetary transportation, vehicles, the clothing store, etc. If they can make places for money to disappear into the game, then the value of meseta will be alright.

oShojino
Apr 8, 2006, 04:42 AM
On 2006-04-08 00:01, Duelle wrote:
I think the money will be worth more. One reason that FFXI has some problems, aside from gil sellers, is that there aren't many good money sinks. The only places to spend money that disappears on a regular basis are riding chocobos and airships. Most everything else is free.

In PSU, it appears that there will be a few more money sinks with weapon upgrades and such, maybe interplanetary transportation, vehicles, the clothing store, etc. If they can make places for money to disappear into the game, then the value of meseta will be alright.

No money sinks in FFXI? You never tried crafting did you? Also, food and other usable items got expensive (sneak oils and such if you werent an alchemist, bullets and arrows, materials for ninja spells). There was alot of money sink in FFXI which was one of the reasons why it was so hard to make money untill you got to boss hunting. Even then youd end up splitting the earnings 15-20 ways, and high end equipment is so expensive. I shudder to think of PSU having the same economy in PSU.

Most likely Meseta will be as plentiful as it was in PSU, and will most likely be used on player made items mostly.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: oShojino on 2006-04-08 02:43 ]</font>

OdinTyler
Apr 8, 2006, 06:42 AM
It probably won't happen, but, I've been wondering for awhile now about the vehicles/creature rides. Do we rent them or do we have a chance to buy our own? If we can buy our own, I'd LOVE the option to customize the look & name. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Again, it probably won't happen, but, if so, there's plenty of ways to spend your money & of course, put it to good purpose.

littleman2347
Apr 8, 2006, 09:28 AM
I hope that we can buy own own ride, but i think a lot of people want the money to have value. When you think about it the player item stalls and stuff that might mean money might have some use like in other mmo's.

OdinTyler
Apr 8, 2006, 01:55 PM
Well if you can buy vehicles/rides to keep, I'd say there's a certain value to money then. You buy the item & can customize it. More cash invested, but well worth it. It remains to be seen if we can do so. I hope they're not just for quests. I'll wanna cruise along the landscapes if I can & not having to walk everywhere would be great. That's what PSU needs that hasn't been in a PS game since PSIV: vehicles that you can use any time that you own & have full control over. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

FayteEternal
Apr 8, 2006, 02:07 PM
Personal means of transportation would be ideal as long as people didn't all of a sudden decide to go self-exploring when a party is suppose to be doing a mission^^;;
I suppose the idea may exist of having the entire party of 6 using 1 means of transportation and traveling together - I dunno, maybe placing emphasis on the team-work aspect of hunting.
On the other hand though...going exploring/hunting alone whenever the daily grind has worn you out from the team experience could be very nice as well.

Yummi
Apr 8, 2006, 03:07 PM
Square chose to make ffxi gear oriented. Basically no matter your race/job without gear at higher levels you pretty much suck. Your weapon, and all the +stats +hp +mp +special affects. That is why gil is such a huge factor in ffxi. If PSU keeps it relatively simple, and just have it to where you'll pay for your weapons in shop, and statless clothing then I can understand, but if not having the best drastically changes your gameplay and make you pretty much useless and the only way to obtain it is to buy it then meseta can be expensive. We also have to take into account that the dungeons are instanced. So you will never have to worry about competition only from your own teammates, and in true pso fashion Im betting that items will drop in the battle field, and it doesn't take tons of meseta to raise synthing levels everyone can basically do it with their PM for free.

So to answer your question, we really aren't sure, but given the facts above (instanced dungeons, everyone can synth with their PMs) I think it's safe to say the game will be less like a job and more like a game where you can just play in a relaxed atmosphere, if you get that super rare gun that costs 9382723897497meseta, great. If you don't you can still defend yourself and you'll be alright.

OdinTyler
Apr 8, 2006, 04:47 PM
Well, let's say hypothetically you can purchase or at least rent your own vehicles outside of missions. Not all of them require a group. The Lunga & Flowder are single person rides. The Stryker is a tank & has been said it's a group vehicle only. That will definitely be in a mission & probably ONLY a mission. My guess is that at least 1 person controls directions, maybe another to man a gun/cannon. There could be alot of possibilities to this. Regardless of how it turns out, if there's a chance to get vehicles & rides outside of missions to keep, I'm DEFINITELY going to get them all! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

ulyoth
Apr 8, 2006, 05:14 PM
I can just imagine a group cruising in an APC, "look monsters over there!" *drives over, screeches to a halt and everyone charges out* XD that would be cool.

Saraphim
Apr 8, 2006, 06:19 PM
On 2006-04-08 14:47, OdinTyler wrote:
Well, let's say hypothetically you can purchase or at least rent your own vehicles outside of missions. Not all of them require a group. The Lunga & Flowder are single person rides. The Stryker is a tank & has been said it's a group vehicle only. That will definitely be in a mission & probably ONLY a mission. My guess is that at least 1 person controls directions, maybe another to man a gun/cannon. There could be alot of possibilities to this. Regardless of how it turns out, if there's a chance to get vehicles & rides outside of missions to keep, I'm DEFINITELY going to get them all! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Just a thought Odin, do you think the vehicles can be destroyed (I would imagine so). If it is possible to "buy" one that is yours to keep, the cost would be astronomical.

If you can rent one, that would be cool. Just go up to the mission counter with your team ready, and when you select the mission, there could be an option to rent one (the tank really intrests me). It was just a thought, but would be awesome if ST worked it like that. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saraphim on 2006-04-08 16:20 ]</font>

OdinTyler
Apr 8, 2006, 09:44 PM
Hey, if I'm able to buy my own vehicles to keep, I don't care how much it is. As long as I can buy it, customize it with color & decals...even name it. If I could do that, I'd be happy. As for can they be destroyed? Well, haven't seen PS vehicles in the past get destroyed. However, judging by that 1 vid where a human army was taking on a massive army of monsters led by those Bil De Bears...I'm sure that the Strykers will be in massive demand!

Sev
Apr 10, 2006, 03:37 PM
Meseta will probably be worth something. Just enough, and that's fine.

With WoW, you could get rare drops and uncommon drops without a group up until end game where you need large groups or to fulfil certain tasks.

FFXI took a different approach, and likes to make you spend time trying to get items and gear. I mind it of course, because it sucks to camp a monster and not get a drop. It sucks even more to fight with others in order to get a drop. These things. Suck. It gets easier toward the end of the game, but there's alotta work to put in. Basically the game keeps you busy, and I keep being unable to bring myself to the later levels. Mostly past 60, since gil just sky rockets once you get there and people are obsessed with items and if you don't have this or that, your not getting a party.

Also, when "money sinks" were mentioned earlier I think the point may have been missed. Buying things like Sneak Oil, Utsusemi, crap like that didn't "sink" anything. It simply provides it to another player. To "sink" money you need to spend it on an NPC. This way, the money doesn't recycle, but disappears from the economy all together. When Square got rid of all of those gil sellers (Fish botters are still around) they also eliminated alot of gil. This caused prices to go down, because all that excess was no longer in the population.

Anyway, now that my rants over...

I'd say that Meseta will have it's worth. Since it won't recycle all of the time, most of the time it can simply disappear from the economy, causing prices to stay semi steady. It all depends though. Prices are dictated by the consumers. Keep paying it, and it will keep raising. That's just how it is.

fumatanera
Apr 10, 2006, 03:56 PM
On 2006-04-07 20:35, FayteEternal wrote:
Fuma, after 2+ years of playing FFXI and doing literally everything there is to do in the game, making money was our drug of choice. Also, making gil is necessary in keeping your (buyable) equipment and items current; In my case I wanted HQ everything^^;;
Money isn't everything but it's nice to have and you never know when you'll need it.

if you've done everything there is to do, then it's time to stop playing ":P

i was never one for maxed stats or most powerful weps. i like the journey to the end. if you can beat the last boss on the hardest diffculty, then it is over. if the game makes it ridiculously hard to find or buy the right gear to do that, something is wrong.

ANIMEniac
Apr 10, 2006, 07:08 PM
it would be nice if it could keep a happy medium. i remember starting out that getting meseta was horrid, and now in ultimate it is just charge fuel. I didn't read the whole forum so forgive me if i repeat some1 but i think there were 2 main problems that drove meseta to worlthlessness.

1) duping PDs for cash and other players sharing with others...

and then 2) which it the main issue, the fact that u can get meseta by doing the same quest over and over and over... i actualy accidentaly maxed out my bank because i was using Central Dome Fire Swirl to search for my lavis cannon. i still havent found it. but all i had to do was pick up my reward each time and wound up with ungodly amounts of meseta.

so i hope to gravy that... wait i just got a cool thought. what if you didn't get paid per mission, but rather since you are a Guardian, part of an organization, that you got a weekly sallary and reasonable bonusses for the number of quests you complete.

OdinTyler
Apr 10, 2006, 09:08 PM
What if you also got XP for quests so you wouldn't have to do the same quests over & over again? Oh, to be hopeful. Maybe we'll get our wishes. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

FayteEternal
Apr 10, 2006, 10:10 PM
You could do exp quests in FFXI or BC's for exp tomes. Also, ENMs gave 3-4k exp + the chance for valuable loot, it was nice.

Balthor
Apr 10, 2006, 10:23 PM
On 2006-04-10 20:10, FayteEternal wrote:
FFXI FFXI FFXI FFXI FFXI FFXI FFXI FFXI FFXI FFXI FFXI FFXI FFXI FFXI FFXI FFXI FFXI FFXI FFXI FFXI FFXI FFXI FFXI FFXI

Must you mention/compare FFXI everytime in these threads?

FayteEternal
Apr 10, 2006, 10:32 PM
Aside from your sarcasm, I bring up possible similarities or comparison's because that's the basis for how I research PSU information and how it might or might not have familiar attirbutes. Lots of people have invested a lot of time in other MMO's and I'm sure naturally see similarites or differences whether they bring up the topic's or not.

OdinTyler
Apr 10, 2006, 10:42 PM
Well, that's why I brought up XP for quests. I got used to getting XP for quests & it was 1 thing that really helped in leveling that PSO SHOULD have had. That's why I'm hoping it was included in PSU. Naturally, harder quests (or difficulty lvls for quests) would give more XP. Also, if say you're in a group & not getting much XP from the group, at least the quest will reward you for the journey.

FayteEternal
Apr 10, 2006, 10:47 PM
Yep.

OdinTyler
Apr 10, 2006, 10:49 PM
Well, that was a profound reply. Do you have some MORE to add to that? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

DeathMachine
Apr 10, 2006, 11:00 PM
Along with the ownership of Vehicles, it seems that it wouldn't be fair if they were invulnerable to damage. They would be cooler if you had to repair them, "pimp" http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif them, etc....

FayteEternal
Apr 10, 2006, 11:06 PM
On 2006-04-10 20:49, OdinTyler wrote:
Well, that was a profound reply. Do you have some MORE to add to that? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Hah, sorry Odin, I'm trying to make a cappuccino atm and have 2 other websites up^^;;

OdinTyler
Apr 11, 2006, 08:50 AM
Well, I'm not really a coffee drinker, but, I'll take a Mudslide. Of course, I can't drink & then go driving my Striker tank now can I? If I did that, DM's right...the machine would need some serious repairing. It's a good point actually, IF we could own our vehicles, we'd have to maintain them, which means occasional repair. Could be interesting what happens next...

FayteEternal
Apr 11, 2006, 09:48 AM
I hope the learning curve is generous for the transportation aspect of PSU or it will be like when I first drove the Warthog in Halo - I navigated with superior skills and finesse, straight off the cliff.

OdinTyler
Apr 11, 2006, 11:40 AM
LOL You want superior driving skills? You should've seen me in the arcades years ago, back when Virtua Racing came out. I did stuff in that game the programmers probably didn't know you could do! LOL All accidental of course. I played more realistic driving games & became a much better driver. It's going to be interesting to see if we really do have control over the vehicles & ones such as the tank where we will have to have group cooperation. Funny you mention your mishap in Halo. I heard the tank in SocomIII is hilarious to drive sometimes.

BogusKun
Apr 12, 2006, 03:40 AM
the problem in the past was that the game didnt have server side editting. so think of it this way.

that 9999999 meseta can be changed quick.... and not everyone can use that wealth once its discovered.

shops will constantly change at random... then again, servers will update the shops to sell what ST think it's confortable to sell at a time.

fumatanera
Apr 12, 2006, 07:56 AM
true, money could have been more of a factor in PSO had it not been for duping, etc. hopefully we will be able to find things that are actually useful in the shops of PSU. although i really did enjoy looking for weps with decent %s in the PSO shops. i didn't find them often, but every once in a while one turned up.

Sev
Apr 12, 2006, 11:56 AM
The thing with being rich in Ultimate mode though... I mean, you are in th end game portion. Shouldn't you have money? I think FFXI is the only game where you can hit the max level, and just be broke. For no reason at all. Broke. Of course, you're broke of your own choosing, because if you didn't have money to begin with you won't get to 75 unless you run into some desperate parties. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

(Had a level 41 NIN in my party last night with Level 11 leggings on. I don't know anymore... And what's up with this new... Not going beyond Rank 1 fad?)

Anyway... To get on topic as to not upset anyone with the talk of another game. Meseta should be alright for this game. I don't think it'll be worthless since the system isn't the same as PSO. You actually have a need for money in this game.

OdinTyler
Apr 12, 2006, 02:09 PM
Well, seeing as how there are many ways that have been confirmed to spend one's meseta & we have discussions going with possible other ways, meseta will have more worth. I think given that what we know about PSU, if ppl STILL find a way to say meseta is pointless, then, all they've proven is that they want to hear themselves bitch & have nothing valid to bring to the table, when evidence suggests contrary to their opinion.

BogusKun
Apr 12, 2006, 10:46 PM
I had a Level 72 MNK with afarmor before I quit. But most of the time it was only around level 30 until I was almost killed in most of my fights.

off that quick subject. im hoping for a more moderate money making process here. because i know it wont be impossible seeing that this game is futuristic. however it should be somewhat similar to making a dollar in this time under the same circumstances?

FayteEternal
Apr 12, 2006, 11:38 PM
I will need lots of Meseta because I want to get my character a belly ring, 'love rappy' tattoo (lower back), baggy jeans and streaks in her hair. That is all.

OdinTyler
Apr 12, 2006, 11:55 PM
Oh so you want her to look more like you IRL or maybe how you might want to dress? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

FayteEternal
Apr 13, 2006, 12:09 AM
I'll comment on the Love Rappy tattoo. I don't have one. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

OdinTyler
Apr 13, 2006, 08:14 AM
And I'm betting you're saving up the meseta just to get one, right? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Bah, you seem to love Rappies. I do too...KILLING THEM! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif WHY WON'T THEY DIE? Not fair. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Kano-Okami
Apr 13, 2006, 09:56 AM
Heh, immortarappies...gotta love em.

I can see me spending all my hard earned meseta in the clothing store, working on outfits more then anything else, that and weapon forging/grinding. Mitch/matching weapons with outfits to create the perfect wardrobe..
...oh if looks could kill...[/rant]

OdinTyler
Apr 13, 2006, 11:29 AM
Looks are definitely going to take a high precedence with many ppl. In that, PSU will emulate a MMO greatly, because alot of MMOs have players that do as such. I can't point fingers as I'd like to look cool & stylin' too. It's just not the only thing I'll do with my money. I'm known to be a crafter & I can see alot of my cash going there. Of course, I intend to make cool-lookin' yet very useful items. Everyone from PSOW is open to buy from me, guildies get a discount. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif