PDA

View Full Version : Gamestop

cherry
Apr 16, 2006, 09:18 PM
They always rip you off for trading in things i mean really 25 cents for splinter cell 1 and they take off 2 dolllars if its scracthed 5 bucks for halo collecters eddition

EphekZ
Apr 16, 2006, 09:30 PM
I think if its in good condition you should get like 15-20 bucks since you bought it,usually, at 50 bucks.

cherry
Apr 16, 2006, 09:32 PM
yeah ill probaly just sell them in a yard sale or somethin

Jive18
Apr 16, 2006, 09:36 PM
25 cents!? Good lord. That is absurd, regardless of how the old the game is. I wouldn't sell my copy of Looney Tunes Basketball for the SNES for 25 cents.

...then again, maybe I would http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif.

DevinTre
Apr 16, 2006, 09:40 PM
Indeed. But that's how they make their money. =/ Business is business.

Firocket1690
Apr 16, 2006, 09:42 PM
... Then why trade it in to gamestop?

Collector's edition, eh? That screams eBay all over it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

The old videogame shop I used to go to gave me $13-15 for used gba games, and anywhere from 17 to 25 for used gamecube games. ... Then again, that's probably why they closed down. D:<

Deltra
Apr 16, 2006, 11:33 PM
Yeah, the prices they offer for your games are insane. But, that's how it works in the business world, trying to get the best deal possible.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Apr 17, 2006, 02:28 AM
On 2006-04-16 19:36, Jive18 wrote:
25 cents!? Good lord. That is absurd, regardless of how the old the game is. I wouldn't sell my copy of Looney Tunes Basketball for the SNES for 25 cents.

...then again, maybe I would http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif.

I traded PS1 NBA Shootout 98 for $.25 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

But got $9 or something for a broken in half Parappa the Rapper that was unplayable. So it evened out I guess? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Otis_Kat
Apr 17, 2006, 08:27 AM
That's why you never trade in games to any store, it's just not worth it. Just horde them like I do.

BogusKun
Apr 17, 2006, 08:33 AM
PREPARE YOURSELF FOR ONE OF MY LIFE STORIES (with a few minor gaps)

I never sold games myself... but people in my family somehow related to me will steal my games for crack and such... I dunno, they stole my cell phone (500 bucks back in 1999) when I was in 16, and my original Smash bros, N64 and 3 controllers, mortal kombat 4, all my clothes, SNES, killer instinct, SUB ZERO mythologies, other few things my friends llet me borrow (most over time I had my stuff locked in a cheat however my uncle broke around my locks)

In summer 99 (when I was going to summer school for English preAP after 9th grade)
SmashBros and MK games with 1 controller was previously stolen by a white lady and her kid my cousin let stay at my grandmas... (the same cousin who's son tried to steal my nintendo DS).... the thing was I gave the household 3(2+ bonus days) to return my stuff without assuming it was stolen. I knew who did it (after the apocalypse)... proved my point by smashing in the TV and a few treasured family antiques... the lady confessed... I THREW her kid outside, and she ran outside to go after her kid... then my cousin followed. I slam door. owned.

Early January 2000... I was 16. Reunited with my dad... after inducting in his business as an heir, he used this lost time to make up by spending more time with me and letting me visit him every now and then. He bought me a cell phone (It was a flip phone by nextel, flip phones were not affordable in mainstream america... and hardly anyone had one) it weas 500 dollars. I hid it everytime I didnt carry it (because where I was living in Dallas... robbery is the number 1 sport next to killing; Dallas Texas was the most dangerous city from 98-2004) so yeah I didnt want it stolen AGAIN! Unfortunately, it was stolen... but this time by my uncle. He needed crack... he steals my phone. Earns a little more profit for it being the only flip phone in the line of american phones... he bought 2 UNFUNCTIONAL PHONES!!! WHAT THE HELL? Sniffed up about a good amount of my money, in which he got hustled... cuz crack is NOT that expensive. Cops did nothing. Another talley mark on my lifetime score for EFF THE POLICE.
-------------
Fast foward a few months later...
A little while later I locked my things in a chest...
Went to my friends house for a second... came back home in about 20 minutes which I was only across the street...

I came to find out my Nintendo 64 and 2 controllers was stolen...and sold the next day to GameStop for 20 bucks (at time they used cash instead)
Clothes were traded for 30 bucks...

Cops did nothing. I was furious... this was my N64... my grandmama bought that for me.

He got on the other phone telling the cops I was a retarded kid who randomly dials phone numbers and that I havent had my medication...
They did nothing. no investigations.

Waiting.. searching... nothing but a lousy receipt. However, my grandmother didnt want me to call the cops on him so I didnt.

He later went to prison for 5 years and again was released after 2.5 years on good behavior. Ironically, he was imprisoned on attempted assault, and battery on a seperate charge. I didnt see him until my second year as a Marine about 2 years ago.
And he's alright now... but he's like SUPER FAT. Majin Boo look-a-like.

Besides having my entire Jet Li collection, and underwear stolen in Ft. Lee VA by some wierd marines back in 03... no in-family-theivery happened until last month when my 7-yr old cousin stole my Nintendo DS (which was later returned but hiddenunder a weak spot under my grandmothers bed to try and make me look stupid when we really know that was the first place looked by everyone else 3 days before it returned).
He no longer will appear in my sight again.
Or he will be pwnt.

*NOTE* Before my uncle, a previous attempt to stealing my cell phone was made by my aunt.
She tried to sell the phone for crack when we were living in a different apartment. She gave it to a chinese drug dealer whom my youngest uncle went and found and smiled at him then BEATDOWN. Got the phone back and he told me the guy confessed and said my aunt sold it to him.

She, next to my youngest uncle to this day are VERY dependant on street drugs. Which is funny cuz I have my aunt on tape.

Geez... I need to write a book! haha

But on a serious tip, if it werent for my N64 and shizzle being stolen back then... I wouldnt have had to get my japanese dreamcast and PSO when the game first came out overseas.

Kizaragu
Apr 17, 2006, 12:58 PM
As people have said, that is how business works. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
You're given a price for trade-in and it's your choice whether you do it or not. No one holds a gun to your head.
And of course you'll be given less if it's scratched to hell. People don't want to buy scratched games. If anything, those buying it will demand a discount.

Halo 2 sells for around 5 quid and is traded in at 3. To me that doesn't sound all that bad!? I've seen Splinter cell 1 sell for pennies, so of course you'll get pennies for it! There's so many damn copies of them on the shelves. Folk are trying to get rid of them all because there have been countless sequels. (Bit of an exageration I know) Who wants to pay a fortune buying an old old game when they can buy the newer version? So the company themselves have to sell it off cheap.

Would you rather you pay twice as much for second hand games, just so you can get more on trade in?

sprky585
Apr 17, 2006, 02:41 PM
There was a place here that got bought out by gamestop, it was called funco land, they ripped me off, i took 3 GBA games, some gameboy light thing, and a Mario sunshine Guide that i never even opened, they didnt accept the guide or the light, and they only offered me 2.25, and im not kidding, the retard took like 15 minutes to look up the games to look how much they were worth, i was like fuck yall so i went down the street to this place called Replays, they are so awesome, they fix scratched discs for free, and i gave him all the stuff and he said, hmm i dont think we can take the light because most people dont buy those, and he said he would take the guide, and he was like, umm, ill give you, $18.50 for all of it, THAT'S A $12.25 DIFFERNCE
--------------------------
i was selling like 15 xbox games that i never played, so first i went to the EB games in the mall ,they offered $65 dollars, then i went to the gamestop across the street and they offered me $83 so i bought splinter cell chaos or whatever and some halo action figure for my little cousin and still had $10 left over, sorry for that little spurt there http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sprky585 on 2006-04-17 12:47 ]</font>

Blitzkommando
Apr 17, 2006, 08:12 PM
Before it closed down, Funcoland here was selling Super Mario Bros. for $0.09. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif The multi-pack games, like SMB, Track and Field, and Duck Hunt in one cart would sell for a premium of $0.15.

Yeah, it's a ripoff to sell games because, frankly, there are generally so many copies saturated in the market it is cheaper to simply keep the games. So, more shelf space or spending more money in gasoline to sell a game that they will give you pennies for? I say I can simply toss the game into a box and let it alone for twenty years then sell it as an antique for far more than I would get today.