PDA

View Full Version : Advent Children English Release-opinions?

Neith
Apr 24, 2006, 07:03 AM
Yeah, just hit shops today to get my copy of Advent Children- everywhere had sold out apart from one shop o_O

Kinda strange hearing it in English after seeing the Japanese version. I thought the voice actors were pretty decent actually for the English version, though Kadaj was a bit annoying at times.

I swear, when I heard Vincent's voice, I thought it was David Hayter (Solid Snake's voice actor). Turns out it wasn't though XP

Nice to see the bonus disc too- some footage of Crisis Core, Before Crisis and Dirge of Cerberus. I must say, some of the anime art for Before Crisis/Crisis Core is awesome.

I think it's gonna take a little while for me to get used to the English version, having seen the Japanese version before it, but I'm thankful Square didn't butcher the voice acting.

roygbiv
Apr 24, 2006, 10:37 AM
Am I the only person who thinks that seeing that movie once is enough?

Eihwaz
Apr 24, 2006, 10:47 AM
I thought it wasn't coming out until tommorow? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

I need to go pick up a copy of this. I enjoyed the Japanese version, but having a phsyical copy of the DVD will be very nice. Not having to mess with stupid subtitle files, ftw. I'm glad there's some nice bonus features, as well.

Neith
Apr 24, 2006, 12:23 PM
On 2006-04-24 08:37, roygbiv wrote:
Am I the only person who thinks that seeing that movie once is enough?

I've watched the Japanese version 10+ times, and the English one once so far XP

And yeah, the bonus features (I got the 2-disc special edition DVD) are pretty decent. Dirge of Cerberus looks hawt.

Eihwaz
Apr 24, 2006, 12:25 PM
Can you even buy a regular, single disk edition? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Neith
Apr 24, 2006, 12:41 PM
I haven't seen one http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

All I've seen is the 'Special Edition 2-disc DVD, the UMD disc, and a double pack with both.

Kizaragu
Apr 24, 2006, 02:32 PM
I wept at work during my lunch break as I watched the english dub. No man should watch this movie alone. My safety was feared for.

In short, I thought the voice acting was terible. There were a few good mentionables.
Cloud wasn't too bad and neither was Barrett. Though they could hardly go wrong with the latter. He's literally Mr T. I'd of felt insulted otherwise.
I wasn't overly fond of Cid either, but in the end I think his english equivalent suited him.

Now the bad. where do I start?

Vincent sounds like he has a throat infection. Seriousely. And not in the cool growly way.
Steven Jay Blum I thought you could do no wrong. He voiced Spike from Cowboy Bebop excellently and I had high hopes for this one.

Sephiroth, could you try any harder to sound like a bad ass? It just sounded like he was trying too hard. I just don't think his voice suited him much but that's just my opinion. Plus He was just poorly acted in general.
" I won't...
*snore*
Be just a memory."
Huh whazzat!? -_O

The Trio? Who voiced you? The cast of Pokemon!? They couldn't of been any further from the original cool deep japanese voicing. They sounded like little girls.

Reno, you poor poor barsteward. It was more the dialogue that disapointed me most. not a "Yo" in sight. And they ruined some of the best lines in the film between him and Rude.

Caitsith. I know your name originates from some mythical Scotland based beastie, but was the accent really nesacerry? NAY NESSY!

Oh god don't let me get started on Yuffie. Please don't. We need more tissues! The tears they won't stop pouring.
Everyone else, I can just about live with, but I'm not a happy chappy!

Let me just state that I loved the japanese original. I know it's not an overly excellent film anyway, but I enjoyed it non the less.
I wasn't expecting much english dub wise, but I think they could've done far better. Plus I like to whine excessively. I blame the weather.

At least I can watch it in the japanese audio I guess. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Outrider
Apr 24, 2006, 03:55 PM
Does the english dub add a plot to it? Because otherwise, I'm not sure I'm going to bother watching it again.

But seriously, folks, I think most of the vocal quality should've been obvious for anybody who's played Kingdom Hearts 2. All I know is that since I've heard Cid and Aeris in KH2, I'm scared of how terrible they'll do with their lines in Advent Children.

Eh, whatever. Maybe they'll strike gold with their next movie. (You know it's coming.)

Daikarin
Apr 24, 2006, 04:06 PM
I think I'm not even gonna bother, unfortunately. I'd like to think that dubbing doesn't affect the overall quality of a movie. But mostly, it does. And generally, the original always fits best.

DizzyDi
Apr 24, 2006, 04:23 PM
Yeah SE is a lil too late to be releasing the Engrish version.
Everybody that actually cared about seeing this movie has already seen it via bootleg.
Seen it, liked it, forgot about it.

Wyndham
Apr 24, 2006, 04:34 PM
On 2006-04-24 14:23, DizzyDi wrote:
Yeah SE is a lil too late to be releasing the Engrish version.
Everybody that actually cared about seeing this movie has already seen it via bootleg.
Seen it, liked it, forgot about it.

Sadly, Dizzy's message embodies everything I was going to say.

Maridia
Apr 24, 2006, 04:52 PM
Um, where might I find it? I wouldn't know where to look. I can't believe I didn't know it was coming out so soon. How much was the one you got, Uriko?

edit: I just phoned EB and asked about the two disc collector's edition, but the guy said he wasn't sure and they only had all the same thing. Is that all that was released, the two disc one? He said it was selling for 29.99$. That's canadian. Are there other versions of the dvd out? I'd really like to know so I should know to start phoning around looking for the two disc set or if I can just go there and pick it up tomorrow.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Maridia on 2006-04-24 15:03 ]</font>

Eihwaz
Apr 24, 2006, 05:15 PM
Amazon only has it listed as the two-disk "special edition". They don't even have the PSP version listed. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

I checked the English Advent Children official site, and it only has two things listed - the two-disk "special edition" and the PSP version. I think as long as you get the DVD version, you'll be okay. ;o

Kizaragu
Apr 24, 2006, 05:23 PM
I'm gonna take back some of what I said about the English dubbed voice acting. Being the Big Fan Boy I am, I made myself watch it again, now knowing what to expect. Yeah, it's not actually all that bad.

Though most of my comments on a few characters still stand, give it a chance.

On 2006-04-24 13:55, Outrider wrote:
Does the english dub add a plot to it? Because otherwise, I'm not sure I'm going to bother watching it again. Short answer, No.

On 2006-04-24 13:55, Outrider wrote:
But seriously, folks, I think most of the vocal quality should've been obvious for anybody who's played Kingdom Hearts 2. All I know is that since I've heard Cid and Aeris in KH2, I'm scared of how terrible they'll do with their lines in Advent Children.
There's nothing particularly bad or special about there vocal talents but there is far worse in this film.
Yuffie? Sweet jesus my ears would of bled if I wasn't already out of bodilly fluids from the tears she caused me to produce. Get my point? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

On 2006-04-24 14:52, Maridia wrote:
Is that all that was released, the two disc one? He said it was selling for 29.99$. That's canadian. Are there other versions of the dvd out?

As far as I'm aware the only edition out is a two disc special edition. Though the 'Special addition' does make you think.

Anyone else notice the distint lack of 'Crisis core'? How come we didn't get it on our disc two like the Japanese? Unless I've not spotted it?
Give it a couple weeks and they'll re-release it in Special Special addition bundle in a desperate bid to con more money out of us.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kizaragu on 2006-04-24 15:25 ]</font>

Hrigg
Apr 24, 2006, 05:28 PM
Sure, my brother is getting it tomorrow. >_>

I'll post my review of it.

Deathscythealpha
Apr 24, 2006, 06:30 PM
On 2006-04-24 15:23, Kizaragu wrote:

Anyone else notice the distint lack of 'Crisis core'? How come we didn't get it on our disc two like the Japanese? Unless I've not spotted it?
Give it a couple weeks and they'll re-release it in Special Special addition bundle in a desperate bid to con more money out of us.

'Last Order'? That OVA was part of a special Advent Children DVD pack in Japan and sadly doesnt seem to have turned up anywhere else. Which is a shame as I really liked it.

Advent Children. Twas Ok, but the English dub is very flawed. Some of the voice acting just doesnt have any oomph behind it, sometimes making it extremely cringeworthy. Vincents voice didnt sit well with me, I always thought of him being more 'refined'. Sephiroth didnt bother me too much as he reminded me of Zechs from Gundam Wing. And seeing as Cloud kept reminding me of Heero it felt ok.

Cat Sith should have been muted though http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Zelutos
Apr 24, 2006, 06:33 PM
It's out...TODAY? wtf.....but it says it's out on the 25th...DANGIT ALL ><

Oh well, i bought a really cool special edition japanese one from my fav manga store <3

Edit: I forgot Uriko is from the UK...><

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zelutos on 2006-04-24 16:33 ]</font>

Eihwaz
Apr 24, 2006, 07:13 PM
Last Order is interesting, but not anything too amazing. You could probably find it on YouTube.

I will be ordering my copy of AC on DVD tommorow, via Amazon...along with a bunch of other stuff. >_>;

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eihwaz on 2006-04-24 17:13 ]</font>

Neith
Apr 24, 2006, 07:49 PM
I'm from England Maridia, cost me 14.99GBP- there is a UMD/DVD double pack available too.

As for the voice acting:

I do prefer the Japanese version, but I reckon it's because I've seen it so much. Some of the lines in the English version didn't mean the same:

For example, (no spoilers, so no worries): When Vincent opens his cloak when Marlene asks him something, on the Japanese version I've seen, Marlene says something along the lines of 'You dont have the Stigma'. In the English one, its 'You don't have a cellphone' http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Anyway, the voice acting (now I HAVE watched the whole film).
Cloud: Seemed fine to be, just as I expected, though not as quiet as I imagined him to be.

Barret:
Loudmouthed as hell, great personality match.

The only ones I wasn't that impressed with were:
Vincent: I liked the voice he had, but it didn't suit my vision of Vincent. I always thought of him as really quiet, and soft-spoken. In FF7AC, he's got quite a rough voice.

Kadaj: I don't know, there was just something about this guy's voice that annoys me, but I can't put my finger on it yet.

I knew when I bought the English version that the voices wouldn't be as good a match as the Japanese version- it's nearly always the case with these kinds of movies. Still, for me at least, it's bareable to watch.

Besides, the DVD has the Japanese version of the film too ;o

I mainly got this just to hear the voice acting, and for the extra features- not for the film- as said, SE were FAR too late at distributing this here for it to be taken seriously. Everyone's already seen a bootleg Japanese copy XP

Rubius-sama
Apr 25, 2006, 04:58 PM
Agreed Sony was late in releasing FF7AC however many fans will simply buy it for collection (and the bonus stuff). I know I'll be picking this up.

Hrigg
Apr 25, 2006, 09:37 PM
I liked it, and thought the voice acting was fine.

Except for Aerith. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Zelutos
Apr 25, 2006, 10:48 PM
They didn't match up the lips with the words very well. I prefer the japanese version *huggles the 3-disc japanese set he bought at Sanrio~*

Edit: After watching it the whole way through, i feel as if they rushed the english voice acting....I didn't feel as much emotion in their words. Unlike with the japanese version where i felt like they meant everything that was said.

People diss Spirits Within, but i think they did a much better job with emotion and voice acting/lip sync-ing with that movie, than they did with one that is way more popular.

Maybe that's just me, though.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zelutos on 2006-04-25 21:31 ]</font>

Mokona99
Apr 27, 2006, 07:07 PM
I thought the dubbing was awesome.

Rubius-sama
Apr 27, 2006, 08:48 PM
On 2006-04-25 20:48, Zelutos wrote:

People diss Spirits Within, but i think they did a much better job with emotion and voice acting/lip sync-ing with that movie, than they did with one that is way more popular.

That's because it was originally produced in English, then dubbed for the Japanese market.

Tomoki
Apr 27, 2006, 09:12 PM
On 2006-04-27 18:48, Rubius-sama wrote:

On 2006-04-25 20:48, Zelutos wrote:

That's because it was originally produced in English, then dubbed for the Japanese market.

Which is the opposite of Advent Children. I noticed while sitting through the movie that I couldnt take my eyes off the peoples lips. They werent moving to the words. It didnt take away from my experience, it just bothered me to no end http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Onto the movie, I wasnt so impressed. It was abit short and I dont think its very approachable if you havent played the game. So much so that I had to "borrow" it from my friend, the internet, and play through it >_<

Nai_Calus
Apr 29, 2006, 01:52 AM
I couldn't even watch it subtitled when I downloaded it months ago. SNOOZEFEST.

Though I have to admit that Wal-Mart is about the last place I ever expected to hear One-Winged Angel. XD

Eihwaz
Apr 29, 2006, 10:14 AM
On 2006-04-28 23:52, Ian-KunX wrote:
Though I have to admit that Wal-Mart is about the last place I ever expected to hear One-Winged Angel. XD

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

I don't get to go to the store and buy AC, because I bought it online. It should arrive sometime today, hopefully, along with the other things I ordered.

Kent
Apr 29, 2006, 11:16 AM
One of my classmates is oft seen spouting off about how there's about 20 minutes of the movie missing from the US release. Anyone have any info about that? :/ I'm planning on picking this up monday (weekends are for playing Blue Mage in FFXI >_>).

Eihwaz
Apr 30, 2006, 05:37 PM
As far as I could tell, it was the same as the Japanese version. I didn't notice any amount of film missing, let alone 20 minutes worth.

And the English dub was a lot better than I had expected. For the most part, I liked everyone's voice. Scottish-sounding Cait Sith was more than a bit irksome, but he only has like 2-3 lines in the whole movie anyway. >_>;

Tifa's voice was kinda high-pitched, but otherwise good. Vincent sounded awesome, Barret was good, Cid was better than I was expecting, and Red XIII was okay for his one line.

Overall, I thought the dub was pretty good.

RadioBanna
May 5, 2006, 10:26 PM
I thought it was really weird it was like "woah i get it" because i just wrapped all the games so it was really good but id of rather had a game for the final chapter everything happened so fast in the movie. And seperioth died like 5 minutes after he appeared

blace
May 6, 2006, 02:08 PM
Nearing the end of this I expected that Sephiroth would appear much earlier than later in the movie although the final fight was exhilarating but very short lived.

Kent
May 6, 2006, 05:47 PM
I got the DVD set as soon as I could... And I've watched it almost every day since I got it. :/

...So yeah. I like it.

The only problems I have with the movie are that the voices of Sephiroth and Vincent are a little too deep. I realize that they're both supposed to have dark and forboding voices... But they could've gotten better ones for that. Everyone else's voices seemed pretty good.