PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Gamers = Screwed = Online Play Suckage = Nintendo Fubar

Spy
Oct 10, 2002, 01:21 PM
On-line play is really going to suck without the hybrid/keyboard. It seems that none of the major stores are going to have it when PSO I & II ships, if at all. Gamestop said "Huh? Keyboard? WTF?", Best Buy "Don't know", Circuit City said "Check Gamestop or Best Buy", and Toys R Us told me "A PS2 would be an overall better choice over the gamecube."

I currently have emails out to all the major import sites(tronixweb, nscx, etc. etc.), all of whom DO NOT have the ASCII keyboard anywhere on their sites. A couple of British import sites do list having the keyboard in stock, but the currency exchange puts the keyboard, after shipping, to about $175 U.S. From the import sites, I have yet to recieve a response.

In short, I forsee U.S. PSO Ep. I & II being the most disasterous release in the history of gaming, toping even the release of Anarchy Online.

Suckage.

Shadow_Blade
Oct 10, 2002, 01:46 PM
Spy, i just got my kb today. Order off of http://www.japanvideogames.com i think its like 60 bucks. I know its not cheap but it isnt 100+ at least.

ginko990
Oct 10, 2002, 01:50 PM
You say US gamers, but dosnt this mean that the Jp gamers arnt using it either?

Spy
Oct 10, 2002, 01:59 PM
On 2002-10-10 11:46, Shadow_Blade wrote:
Spy, i just got my kb today. Order off of http://www.japanvideogames.com i think its like 60 bucks. I know its not cheap but it isnt 100+ at least.

OMG! I could kiss you. But you'll have to settle for me not having to use the soft-keyboard.

Thanks a bunch. The release wont be disasterous to me.

Ginko - Perhaps. And perhaps not. Maybe they can't keep the durn things in stock?

Ness
Oct 10, 2002, 03:58 PM
I'll probably end up waiting for the GC keyboard controller or buying a 3rd party keyboard.

Agent_Reav
Oct 10, 2002, 04:18 PM
I still don't know how Nintendo/SEGA expect this to be a sucessful launch. First you have the absurb $9 a month fee; Then the lack of an essential component (Keyboard) to play the game with?! Let's just say it WON'T be a big hit on GC this holiday season.

flyrobinfly
Oct 10, 2002, 06:08 PM
This has been bugging the hell out of me, thanks for making a topic of it.

What is everyone supposed to do, communicate with word select until further notice?! There's no mention of a keyboard on any online store, nor is there any coverage of it on any of the game media sites... It's seriously bizarre. I was floored when they confirmed the Oct. 29 release date - With all the speculation that's been built up around poor modem availability, the JP duping bug, and the general lack of keyboard information, how on earth is this game going to launch successfully in a couple of weeks?

Rhete
Oct 10, 2002, 06:47 PM
The should just go and call it Phantasy Star Offline, considering how far out of their was Sega and Nintendo are going to keep it as such. 10 dollars for the Hunters Licenses. Not great, but bearable. Supposedly extremely low modem availability, this really worries me. But not releasing the keyboard in the US is just ridiculous. Hardly anyone online will have one, and those that do have to pay a ton to import theirs? This is just too much. Too bad I don’t have anyone to play multi-player offline with

PrinceBrightstar
Oct 10, 2002, 07:28 PM
the answer is simple. wait for a ps/2 to GC converter

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
Oct 10, 2002, 07:35 PM
Grrr I'm gonna splice my DC keyboard's wires and try to just use that =._.=;

Rhete
Oct 10, 2002, 07:40 PM
On 2002-10-10 17:28, Jonathan_F wrote:
the answer is simple. wait for a ps/2 to GC converter

Converter for what? The keyboard? That would be nice, or even a device that would let a gamecube recognize a computer keyboard... anythings better than nothing. But its probably too late for anything to be arrive by October 29th aside from importing the dang things

_xX_Frosty_Xx_
Oct 10, 2002, 07:40 PM
I'm not really too thrilled about paying $60 for a keyboard myself......Nintendo needs to get their act together.

Spy
Oct 10, 2002, 11:11 PM
Like I said. To me, the launch won;t be disasterous. Keyboard is already in the mail. Modem is reserved and paid for. PSO... reserved and paid for. I have 2 memory cards. I'm set.

The only possible setback I forsee for myself now is if ST doesn't accept Debit Cards.

Actually. Things are looking a lot brighter from my perspective. Most of the people I want to play with are hardcore enough that they already imported and have the keyboard or will import one. Compare that to the 13-year old Oberon 1 shits who will not have keyboards and have to type all their crap up slow-softkeyboard style, and, well... there will be a much higher volume of decent speech and less hitting on female characters.

But from the majority of US gamers' standpoint, this launch is going to be terrible. I'm suprised no game news sites have even caught onto the lack of keyboardage.

Agent_Reav
Oct 10, 2002, 11:24 PM
On 2002-10-10 21:11, Spy wrote:
Like I said. To me, the launch won;t be disasterous. Keyboard is already in the mail. Modem is reserved and paid for. PSO... reserved and paid for. I have 2 memory cards. I'm set.

The only possible setback I forsee for myself now is if ST doesn't accept Debit Cards.

Actually. Things are looking a lot brighter from my perspective. Most of the people I want to play with are hardcore enough that they already imported and have the keyboard or will import one. Compare that to the 13-year old Oberon 1 shits who will not have keyboards and have to type all their crap up slow-softkeyboard style, and, well... there will be a much higher volume of decent speech and less hitting on female characters.

But from the majority of US gamers' standpoint, this launch is going to be terrible. I'm suprised no game news sites have even caught onto the lack of keyboardage.

Have fun playing with the 20 "hardcore" players on PSO GC... Really though, this is the most moronic thing SEGA/Nintendo could have done... Do they hire monkeys?!

Spy
Oct 10, 2002, 11:31 PM
On 2002-10-10 21:24, Agent_Reav wrote:

Have fun playing with the 20 "hardcore" players on PSO GC...

OMG that would be the shit. I'm anti-social.

Really though, this is the most moronic thing SEGA/Nintendo could have done... Do they hire monkeys?!

I wish. Monkeys are the shit. Except when it comes to penguins. Penguins own monkeys.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Spy on 2002-10-10 21:32 ]</font>

flyrobinfly
Oct 11, 2002, 12:28 AM
It just gets better and better...

http://cube.ign.com/articles/374/374064p1.html

Spy
Oct 11, 2002, 12:45 AM
On 2002-10-10 22:28, flyrobinfly wrote:
It just gets better and better...

http://cube.ign.com/articles/374/374064p1.html

I hate to sound concieted, but it's funny that they happened to release an article about that AFTER I posted.

Soliptic
Oct 11, 2002, 12:54 AM
On 2002-10-10 21:31, Spy wrote:
I wish. Monkeys are the shit. Except when it comes to penguins. Penguins own monkeys.

I propose we develop some sort of Monkey Penguin hybrid. We can call it a Monkguin. We can send it on trips to Japan to bring us back Keyboards and other useful GameCube peripherals.

sol

Spy
Oct 11, 2002, 12:56 AM
On 2002-10-10 22:54, Soliptic wrote:

I propose we develop some sort of Monkey Penguin hybrid. We can call it a Monkguin. We can send it on trips to Japan to bring us back Keyboards and other useful GameCube peripherals.

sol

We could sell that sucker for $70 bucks easy!

Gazebo
Oct 11, 2002, 01:01 AM
Go to Videogamedepot.com (i think that's the site) They have them there. I plan to get my keyboard from there. Its all a matter of when for me.

Wewt
Oct 11, 2002, 08:10 AM
On 2002-10-10 22:56, Spy wrote:

On 2002-10-10 22:54, Soliptic wrote:

sol

We could sell that sucker for $70 bucks easy!

wtf noobs!!!!11111111 u no dat it shud b called Penkey!!!!111111

DeathCheese87
Oct 11, 2002, 09:53 AM
wouldnt you think they would make a simple keyboard converter like the one for the DC? it was only about 10 bucks. that would be a simple solution as well.

Nidarrock
Oct 11, 2002, 10:32 AM
On 2002-10-10 11:21, Spy wrote:
and Toys R Us told me "A PS2 would be an overall better choice over the gamecube."

That is so true, some of the people that work the electronics section at Toys R Us have no clue whats going on in the game world.

Anyway on topic. I don't think PSO(GC) is going to sell too well. I really don't see how a keyboard is going to be set up for GC(not hard I'm sure), packaged & shipped by 10/29. Also I think the pay to play will turn off some people who have never played PSO it's a bit more steeper than it was on DC ver 2. On top of that, this time some PSO players are not going to get the GC version in favor of waiting for the Xbox version.

As always time will tell. What, it's about 2 more weeks to go.

merlin
Oct 11, 2002, 10:51 AM
The fact is that most Gamecube owners no nothing about PSO or the online capabilities of their machines.

Don't expect the Cube version of PSO to be big at first. Most people will be stuck in offline mode for a VERY long time.

Want to play it without a hitch? Buy an XboX. Seriously.

Zenigma
Oct 11, 2002, 11:52 AM
xbox may seem viable, but remember some ppl dont even have a choice to get broadband. CNN did a report on xbox live and said that there are 10 broadband families compared to 50 million dial-up users...you do the math. Me i have both a xbox and broadband, but im not shellin out the extra loot for a router

faceless
Oct 11, 2002, 03:39 PM
a couple things...

1) PCKB->Console adapter... if it's anything like the DC one, it'll be pretty shitty/buggy/defective and drop keystrokes everywhere...

2) keyboard issues... fuck softkeyboard and word select, i'm just not gonna talk to people until i get a kb... which would probably make people like me more...

3) broadband ... sucks to not have it, not have it available, or not be able to afford it, but hey, over 50% of xbox owners do and videogamers in general have a higher % of broadband adaption than the general population...

4) xbox vs gc pso... i could care less, i'm getting both...

TedEdFred
Oct 11, 2002, 04:55 PM
Penkey is a much better name imo.

merlin
Oct 11, 2002, 06:34 PM
No doubt that it's costly.

I have dial up at home because I'm not that much into high-end PCs. Dial up worked just fine for my DC and it will work for my Cube too. IF I had high speed at home I'd go online with my XboX instead. I'll play a character on my XboX as an offline game.

I got the privilege of being able to be a Live tester, but haven't bothered yet. How's that for funny?

Mofobolo
Oct 12, 2002, 02:56 PM
I was thinking about this and wouldn't it be fairly easy to make a keyboard converter out of the $10 Gamecube to Playstation conveerter and another PC keyboard to PSX or DC converter(another $10 at most). They are both available right now and you could have something to use by the 29th. Worth a try anyway till some company makes one.

PrinceBrightstar
Oct 12, 2002, 04:44 PM
rpgamer has confirmed that keyboards will be avaliable

Spy
Oct 12, 2002, 05:00 PM
Being available and being on the market are two completely different things.

I talked with the local Gamestop manager today and she has yet to hear any news from Corporate about a keyboard being available by the 29th.

So sure, Sega will have the keyboard ready, but it's looking like the retailers won't. If they do, however, in the just-under-three-weeks before launch I will be very impressed, and eat my hat too.

merlin
Oct 12, 2002, 05:25 PM
Like I said......

*looks at official Nintendo e-mails and prebook sheets*

There is mention here of prebooks for the game.....there is mention here for prebooks of both types of modems......but nowhere is there mention of the hybrid keyboard or any other substitute.

Like Spy says.....3 weeks to go.....and no keyboards unless you are lucky enough to import.

"Do you think that that Nintendo Of America and Nintendo Of Canada overlooked a certain component?" Just kidding.....but I honestly don't know when they'll be offered. Right this moment I'm sitting here behind the counter of a video game store going "Hmmmmmmm". I don't like doing that.

Hey Nintendo. How about giving one of your dealers some info?

Spy
Oct 12, 2002, 05:47 PM
I honestly don't know what the hell Nintendo is thinking. PSO is their first on-line title, one of thier few RPG's, and they have the potential to make money from the online fees. And yet it's getting seemingly second-rate treatment?

Why Nintendo wouldn't release even a standard keyboard with the modems is honestly beyond my level of comprehension.

Agent_Reav
Oct 12, 2002, 06:11 PM
On 2002-10-12 15:47, Spy wrote:
I honestly don't know what the hell Nintendo is thinking. PSO is their first on-line title, one of thier few RPG's, and they have the potential to make money from the online fees. And yet it's getting seemingly second-rate treatment?

Why Nintendo wouldn't release even a standard keyboard with the modems is honestly beyond my level of comprehension.

These are the same guys that turned Zelda into a joke, made Metroid an FPS, and try to charge you for a modem instead of making it built it... I wouldn't be surprised if they "accidentally" forgot to put the Serial #'s in the cases to make you buy a new game.

merlin
Oct 12, 2002, 06:44 PM
I'm not TOO sure....but I don't think it matters what system your discs or memory cards go into this time around. Serial numbers might not be used. After all, disc security on the Cube software is a hell of a lot tighter, so why protect against copying by using serials? This had to be the worst feature of the Dreamcast game. You couldn't even give a friend your old V1.

Spy
Oct 12, 2002, 07:03 PM
On 2002-10-12 16:11, Agent_Reav wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if they "accidentally" forgot to put the Serial #'s in the cases to make you buy a new game.

Dear god. You're more pesemistic that I am. Do you have a sister?

Agent_Reav
Oct 12, 2002, 10:24 PM
On 2002-10-12 17:03, Spy wrote:

On 2002-10-12 16:11, Agent_Reav wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if they "accidentally" forgot to put the Serial #'s in the cases to make you buy a new game.

Dear god. You're more pesemistic that I am. Do you have a sister?

No I just seriously question Nintendo and SEGA's idiotic decisions. These are the times when you should hire new... competent... workers.

Spy
Oct 12, 2002, 10:54 PM
Oh. Well, do you have a sister anyways?

RUNE_WALSH
Oct 13, 2002, 02:52 AM
Does anybody knows if there's a GCN-to-DC keyboard Adapter by any chance?

My DC keyboard still works fine, and if I can buy just an adapter to stick it into the GCN port, then it's really easy for me.

Thx.

Spy
Oct 13, 2002, 03:03 AM
On 2002-10-13 00:52, RUNE_WALSH wrote:
Does anybody knows if there's a GCN-to-DC keyboard Adapter by any chance?

My DC keyboard still works fine, and if I can buy just an adapter to stick it into the GCN port, then it's really easy for me.

Thx.

Maybe if you go back and read the posts in this thread you'll find the answer.

StormShadow11
Oct 13, 2002, 03:35 PM
Has the pay to play fee been comfirmed for $9 a month?

Spy
Oct 13, 2002, 03:42 PM
On 2002-10-13 13:35, StormShadow11 wrote:
Has the pay to play fee been comfirmed for $9 a month?

WTF does this look like? A Q & A Thread? Beat it!

*Goes to get a shovel*

Etrigan
Oct 13, 2002, 06:36 PM
Yes it does. So I've got one too.

*edit: Scratch that, the SharkBoard is USB.
Are there any PS2 keyboards that will work with the GC/PS2 adapter?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Etrigan on 2002-10-13 16:47 ]</font>

Spy
Oct 13, 2002, 06:47 PM
On 2002-10-13 16:36, Etrigan wrote:
Yes it does. So I've got one too.

You suck. Eat shovel.

Will the Shark Board work with the GC/PS2 adapter? If so, that's a 50% savings from that god awful keyboard/controller combo.

Is 50% savings worth supporting the company that releases the Gameshark? Interact Sucks.

Etrigan
Oct 13, 2002, 06:51 PM
Is a $30-40 savings worth it to me? Yes.

Spy
Oct 13, 2002, 06:55 PM
On 2002-10-13 16:51, Etrigan wrote:
Is a $30-40 savings worth it to me? Yes.

Okay. When cheating becomes rampant though you have no right to complain. Does that work?

Etrigan
Oct 13, 2002, 07:08 PM
Hardly. There's this neat phenomenon called capitalism that I follow.

LostHero
Oct 13, 2002, 07:18 PM
On 2002-10-10 21:31, Spy wrote:
Penguins own monkeys.

I think you are finally ready to join the dark side... come with me young Spy...

Spy
Oct 13, 2002, 07:27 PM
On 2002-10-13 17:08, Etrigan wrote:
Hardly. There's this neat phenomenon called capitalism that I follow.

Right. Capitalism also states that the people buy what they want. Hence, if you buy Interact products you are supporting the use of the Gameshark accessory.

Thanks for proving my point though, and have fun with that keyboard!

Vejita
Oct 13, 2002, 07:44 PM
Cat-fight. Re-owwwwwwww, hiss!!

st4pl3s
Oct 13, 2002, 08:01 PM
Gameshark is probally the worst peice of hardware *cough* I have ever seen. Maybe it was a sucess for playstation2 but who cares ps2 sucks! And When you cant beat a game and have to cheat to do it, thats pretty pathetic!

Etrigan
Oct 13, 2002, 08:05 PM
Capitalism also says that I can buy a superior product at a cheaper price if I want to. But hey, the PSO fanbase is so incredibly influential, that if we all started a keyboard boycott, just maybe Interact will stop producing gamesharks. Or, not.

Etrigan
Oct 13, 2002, 08:08 PM
On 2002-10-13 18:01, st4pl3s wrote:
Gameshark is probally the worst peice of hardware *cough* I have ever seen. And When you cant beat a game and have to cheat to do it, thats pretty pathetic!

I agree completely. And I'm not denying that it somewhat ruined PSO v1 so many months ago. But the sad fact is, that Gamesharks will be produced for many, many more years. Hopefully p2p will be enough of a deterent to keep 90% of the cheaters away.

Spy
Oct 13, 2002, 08:37 PM
On 2002-10-13 18:05, Etrigan wrote:
Capitalism also says that I can buy a superior product at a cheaper price if I want to. But hey, the PSO fanbase is so incredibly influential, that if we all started a keyboard boycott, just maybe Interact will stop producing gamesharks. Or, not.

Uh. I don't need to boycott anything because Interact isn't getting a dime of mine.

Agent_Reav
Oct 13, 2002, 10:34 PM
Uh. I don't need to boycott anything because Interact isn't getting a dime of mine.

Don't you think you are being a little too... dramatic. It's about saving cash dude... I would rather give Interact $30 than some wierd Japanese company double that amount. Let's put it this way... Imagine if the keyboard combo from ASCII costed less than the Interact board and I said "I wouldn't buy the ASCII keyboard because the Japs bombed Pearl Harbor and killed thousands of American soldiers" sounds pretty harsh right? Pretty extreme also correct? Now look at ur post concerning Interact developing gameshark and hence u not buying it. Interact also makes alot of neat peripherals and accessories. Also, contrary to popular belief, Pelican's Code Breaker was the main cause of massive cheating in PSO.

I know ur not that ignorant Spy... don't dissapoint me now.

Spy
Oct 13, 2002, 10:42 PM
On 2002-10-13 20:34, Agent_Reav wrote:

Don't you think you are being a little too... dramatic. It's about saving cash dude... I would rather give Interact $30 than some wierd Japanese company double that amount. Let's put it this way... Imagine if the keyboard combo from ASCII costed less than the Interact board and I said "I wouldn't buy the ASCII keyboard because the Japs bombed Pearl Harbor and killed thousands of American soldiers" sounds pretty harsh right? Pretty extreme also correct? Now look at ur post concerning Interact developing gameshark and hence u not buying it. Interact also makes alot of neat peripherals and accessories. Also, contrary to popular belief, Pelican's Code Breaker was the main cause of massive cheating in PSO.

o_O

Kids buying pot after school funded the 9/11 terrorist attacks

Etrigan
Oct 13, 2002, 10:53 PM

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that your post was a joke. I'm sure you knew that refusal of purchase on certain grounds is in fact the fundamental definition of a boycott.

Main Entry: boycott
Pronunciation: 'boi-"kat?
: to engage in a concerted refusal to have dealings with (as a person, store, or organization) usually to express disapproval or to force acceptance of certain conditions

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Etrigan on 2002-10-13 20:55 ]</font>

Spy
Oct 13, 2002, 11:31 PM
On 2002-10-13 20:53, Etrigan wrote:

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that your post was a joke. I'm sure you knew that refusal of purchase on certain grounds is in fact the fundamental definition of a boycott.

Main Entry: boycott
Pronunciation: 'boi-"kat?
: to engage in a concerted refusal to have dealings with (as a person, store, or organization) usually to express disapproval or to force acceptance of certain conditions

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Etrigan on 2002-10-13 20:55 ]</font>

Uh. You're thinking too much. None of Interact's shit appeals to me, hence I don't buy any of it. More of that Capitalism you were talking about. For me to partake in a boycott I'd have to have given them money to begin with.

And why are you giving me the 'benefit of the doubt'? Let me let you in on a little secret. I'm a dumbass. I'm stupid. Everyone else seems to know this. Just thought you might like to know too.

Saladwood
Oct 14, 2002, 12:36 AM
buy interact, don't buy interact, i do not care but whatever you do, don't go off topic. and since i last heard, it's up to the person how he choses to spend his money, support it or not.

Spy
Oct 14, 2002, 12:43 AM
On 2002-10-13 17:18, LostHero wrote:

I think you are finally ready to join the dark side... come with me young Spy...

Whoa! You're a member too?

*Pulls out his official Dark Side membership card*

Yeah. Owning it up on those light side pusses.

Wewt
Oct 14, 2002, 08:00 AM
Spy's right about Interact. If you support them in buying their keyboard, you're also funding their GameShark. If/when cheating comes around on PSO, and you complain about it, I'll be remembering this moment for a long time. Be ready to be pwned. In other words... "I told you so http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif"

IceBlink
Oct 14, 2002, 10:12 AM
Hey, hey, back to topic, guys...

Hmmm. No PSO for EU until god knows, no broadband adaptor or dial-up modem, no keyboard... why the hell did I buy a gamecube again? >_<

Can't even imagine what it will be like with no keyboards... everyone will be using the macro chats... or symbols. o_O

Spy
Oct 14, 2002, 10:52 AM
On 2002-10-14 08:12, IceBlink wrote:
Hey, hey, back to topic, guys...

Fine. I started a new topic for the cheating tangent.

LINK: http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=32520&forum=4&0

Hmmm. No PSO for EU until god knows, no broadband adaptor or dial-up modem, no keyboard... why the hell did I buy a gamecube again? >_<

Because it was cheaper than the other systems? O_o

Can't even imagine what it will be like with no keyboards... everyone will be using the macro chats... or symbols. o_O

In short not much will have to change in the lobbies.

IceBlink
Oct 14, 2002, 01:38 PM
On 2002-10-14 08:52, Spy wrote:
Because it was cheaper than the other systems? O_o

You kidding? Since Nintendo did price drops, the others did the same too... heh.

Still, typing will be much slower using the joypad... maybe it will force people to think properly when typing. Hehe

Spy
Oct 14, 2002, 01:54 PM
On 2002-10-14 11:38, IceBlink wrote:
You kidding? Since Nintendo did price drops, the others did the same too... heh.

At launch the difference was $100. And even $50 is a significant difference.

Agent_Reav
Oct 14, 2002, 04:28 PM
On 2002-10-14 11:54, Spy wrote:

On 2002-10-14 11:38, IceBlink wrote:

At launch the difference was $100. And even $50 is a significant difference.

This coming from someone who is paying $108 a year to play ONE online game. We get one full year for $50... Your argument is faulty. We also don't have to buy a BBA ($35).

Spy
Oct 14, 2002, 11:53 PM
On 2002-10-14 14:28, Agent_Reav wrote:

This coming from someone who is paying $108 a year to play ONE online game. We get one full year for $50... Your argument is faulty. We also don't have to buy a BBA ($35).

My ISP bill is $78 a year. What's yours?

st4pl3s
Oct 15, 2002, 12:04 AM
80$ a year.

badmav
Oct 15, 2002, 03:25 AM
well all i have to say is that i dont have a gc or xbox but i know what system im getting its an xbox due to the fact of talking to others in real time instead of typing thou alote of ppl talk trash about all the other consols out there you will never here me say enything bad about eny consol point being that ever consol has its strong points but back to topic even thou i am going to us xbox live im getting a keybourd i found a xbox keybourd on the net somone not sure were it is gona have to serch again lol well my thouts are that when i first got pso on the dc i didnt even now thay had a keybourd and playing and talking at same time relly helped my skills alote so for those of you with pso gc you will just get relly good at the game faster than the ones that have a kb am i right or am i rong id like to here your opinions

rena-ko
Oct 15, 2002, 05:06 AM
no gamecube-keyboard for the us? thats nothing to be pissed of, imho. i wont be able to play the whole game unless i decide to afford a us/jp-cube and everything that is needed along to play.
until now i only disliked infogrames, now i start to hate them (and nintendo, and sega a bit too).

i see myself waiting a whole year for a game allready translated into european languages with servers allready running and with periphery allready produced with the thought maybe its not pay2play in europe to calm me down - just to realise next october that it IS pay2play here too.

flyrobinfly
Oct 15, 2002, 10:10 AM

$600 >.>

No fair!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: flyrobinfly on 2002-10-15 08:12 ]</font>

IceBlink
Oct 15, 2002, 10:10 AM
On 2002-10-14 21:53, Spy wrote:

... when I first started, I was on a pay-per-minute basis ISP. My bill ended up 300 English pounds after 2 months... ^_^;

Spy
Oct 15, 2002, 10:54 AM
On 2002-10-15 08:10, flyrobinfly wrote:

$600 >.>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: flyrobinfly on 2002-10-15 08:12 ]</font>

The dial up is significantly cheaper http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Granted, I have no broadband. Seeing as how PSO is likely the only pay-per-month game I'll be playing though, that only puts my grand online expendetures total $186. Let's take someone with boardband paying $40 a month minimum. That's $480, and we'll throw in the demo year of Xbox live for a total of $530. After one year the Xbox live free raises to about $120 a year for a grand total of $600.

So, we can argue money all we want, but the bottom line is that PSO is not a high bandwidth game, and I'm getting enough for my money. Wheeee. Math is fun.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Spy on 2002-10-15 08:56 ]</font>

haterade
Oct 15, 2002, 03:54 PM
*hugs his dial-up modem*

That's a lot of savin'....

War_Child
Oct 15, 2002, 04:33 PM
My inet bill: 720 a year (2 ip's)

With pso, that would raise to 840 a year + router costs should I buy a router so I can play online or something.

Should I be forced to get another ip, it would be the same price + 50 feet of ethernet cable.

Ah the joys of the internet -_-;

Agent_Reav
Oct 15, 2002, 11:24 PM
On 2002-10-15 08:54, Spy wrote:

On 2002-10-15 08:10, flyrobinfly wrote:

$600 >.>

The dial up is significantly cheaper http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Granted, I have no broadband. Seeing as how PSO is likely the only pay-per-month game I'll be playing though, that only puts my grand online expendetures total $186. Let's take someone with boardband paying $40 a month minimum. That's $480, and we'll throw in the demo year of Xbox live for a total of $530. After one year the Xbox live free raises to about $120 a year for a grand total of $600.

So, we can argue money all we want, but the bottom line is that PSO is not a high bandwidth game, and I'm getting enough for my money. Wheeee. Math is fun.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Spy on 2002-10-15 08:56 ]</font>

Well us Xbox Live ppl have the ability to get massive updates and patches since we can dl so much in so little time. You'll haveta stick to ur 10kb quests XD. Also I pointed out that you are paying $9/month FOR ONE GAME. On Xbox Live there are 8+ games at launch that you don't haveta pay extra fees for. I just find it absurb that SEGA believes GC gamers are so stupid to pay a fee that insane for such a low maintenance game... I still stick with my theory that the GC release won't be released to much fanfare unless the monthly fee is lowered to a reasonable level. In closing, I pay more for internet access but it goes insanely fast and allows me experience everything the net has to offer. Once you play PSO XBox with no lag and voice chat there's no going back. I can't wait to see you all on in the future. Best of luck!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Agent_Reav on 2002-10-15 21:25 ]</font>

Spy
Oct 16, 2002, 02:45 AM
Update :: I get my keyboard today. *YAY*

ReikenFeralsbane
Oct 16, 2002, 06:05 AM
Anarchy online is still a disaster. been playing it since it came out and just recently quit. Good game and all, but buggy as hell with crappy customer service.

WraithAkaMrak
Oct 16, 2002, 11:25 AM
My ISP is about $30/mo at home. It's "free" in the dorms here. I'm just hoping that,
A.) there are no firewalls that will block me from using the Xbox on the dorm network,
B.) that our Netgear router (at home) works with Xbox Live by the time XBL launches,
C.) that the statement about no extra fees for Xbox PSO proves true, and
D.) that there's a keyboard available to use w/ the Xbox version.

I think the GameCube version, though the fees are somewhat expensive, will still be a good game.

Spy
Oct 16, 2002, 11:43 AM
On 2002-10-16 09:25, WraithAkaMrak wrote:

I think the GameCube version, though the fees are somewhat expensive, will still be a good game.

No doubts here. I only fear mismanagement.

merlin
Oct 16, 2002, 08:09 PM
Hey.....maybe this whole thing will start a trend towards non-verbal PSOing!!!!

Not. I still remember the agonizing first week online when the DC keyboards weren't available here yet. Having to talk using controllers. That's why you guys can't see the fact that I'm sitting here crying like a little schoolgirl......

StormShadow11
Oct 16, 2002, 09:15 PM
LOL!
I remember the days fondly when i used the controller to communicate...
Messages looked somewhat like this:

HI aLL, Wer U aT?

WaIt 4 ME PLZ

Those were the good ol' days...eh?

Spy
Oct 17, 2002, 10:50 AM
I. Have. Keyboard.

To say that I feel relieved is an understatement.

Agent_Reav
Oct 18, 2002, 05:16 PM
Unfortunately 95% of those playing on PSOG GC in the US won't have a KB. Have fun talking to 5 ppl XD. I wonder if they would delay the launch till a KB gets out? O.o

Etrigan
Oct 18, 2002, 06:06 PM
Haha, those were great days.

"HElP"

By the time you could say it, you were dead.

Spy
Oct 18, 2002, 10:37 PM
On 2002-10-18 15:16, Agent_Reav wrote:
Unfortunately 95% of those playing on PSOG GC in the US won't have a KB. Have fun talking to 5 ppl XD. I wonder if they would delay the launch till a KB gets out? O.o

DG have keyboard. Alisha have keyboard. Many more of the 1337 PSOW'ers(Read: Not newbies) will have keyboard. I r content.

I hear the toothfairy is hookin' up all the non-ramar bitxhes that werent smart to import hybrids in exchange for your lower jaw. It might. Just. Be worth it.

Danger_Girl
Oct 18, 2002, 10:59 PM
It feels wierd...but I can for sure get used to it. Two weeks of using it, and it will be no problem at all.

Ten or so days to go folks...

_xX_Frosty_Xx_
Oct 18, 2002, 11:31 PM
I know, it's just slowly appraoching. Hmm, I wonder if there will be a delay because of the kb......I hope not.

flyrobinfly
Oct 18, 2002, 11:36 PM
Grrr!

Thanks to you l337 RAmar import ninjas, the damn thing is now out of stock (http://www.japanvideogames.com/phtml/front/index.php?showitemid=1176&genres=12&formatid=2) at every import shop I know of... McVans claims that the keyboard is now nearly impossible to find in Japan, and that they can't guarantee "if or when" they'll ever be able to restock it.

Ah well. At least we have NOA's word that there'll be something or other available on the 29th, hah!

Spy
Oct 18, 2002, 11:42 PM
On 2002-10-18 21:36, flyrobinfly wrote:
Grrr!

Thanks to you l337 RAmar import ninjas, the damn thing is now out of stock (http://www.japanvideogames.com/phtml/front/index.php?showitemid=1176&genres=12&formatid=2) at every import shop I know of... McVans claims that the keyboard is now nearly impossible to find in Japan, and that they can't guarantee "if or when" they'll ever be able to restock it.

Ah well. At least we have NOA's word that there'll be something or other available on the 29th, hah!

Like I said, the time to import is now. At the time that was two weeks ago.

Mind pointing me to where NOA said this? I'd like to see just how much crow I'll be eating.

Danger_Girl
Oct 18, 2002, 11:48 PM
Ugh.

I sure hope they release something in time for launch. I just checked the website I improted mine from, and it is indeed out of stock.

Even if there isn't something at launch, I'm sure something will come along soon afterward.

*thinks of only being able to talk to Spy. Starts to cry*

Spy
Oct 18, 2002, 11:54 PM
On 2002-10-18 21:48, Danger_Girl wrote:

*thinks of only being able to talk to Spy. Starts to cry*

Alisha has teh keyboard too. And others. Besides, when I talk all you see is 'lol' from everyone else.

*EDIT by Abdur*
That was highly offensive to anyone that lost someone on 9/11, don't say something like that again.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ABDUR101 on 2002-10-18 22:10 ]</font>

flyrobinfly
Oct 18, 2002, 11:54 PM
Mind pointing me to where NOA said this? I'd like to see just how much crow I'll be eating.

Ack. I meant to say SEGA, and when I say SEGA I really mean RPGamer.com. Taking all of this into account, I'm pretty sure that something available pretty much means shiny new in-game software keyboard. Hip hip huzzah.

Spy
Oct 18, 2002, 11:56 PM
On 2002-10-18 21:54, flyrobinfly wrote:

Ack. I meant to say SEGA, and when I say SEGA I really mean RPGamer.com. Taking all of this into account, I'm pretty sure that something available pretty much means shiny new in-game software keyboard. Hip hip huzzah.

I'm really sorry to sound cynical but:

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif LOL

Sega cannot push a keyboard onto the market. And retailers still have no friggin' clue what's going on. I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

Celestial
Oct 19, 2002, 12:53 AM
Not that hard to use the in game keyboard for me. just practice using Version 1 or 2. keep in mind that i will most likely be using all caps though... (wish they would put the lower caps on the top instead)

Spy
Oct 19, 2002, 01:03 AM
On 2002-10-18 22:53, Celestial wrote:
Not that hard to use the in game keyboard for me. just practice using Version 1 or 2. keep in mind that i will most likely be using all caps though... (wish they would put the lower caps on the top instead)

For each paragraph you type on-screen I will have gained 5 levels. It's a proven fact.