PDA

View Full Version : What's the origin of your name?

theNightwisp
Oct 10, 2002, 04:16 PM
name choice can really tell alot about a person, and some of you have some straaaange names. so, out with it!

mine came from a fantasy book(s), called the sword of truth series. some of the magical creatures in it were called nightwisps, not unlike fairies.

Ness
Oct 10, 2002, 04:17 PM
Earth Bound

Nidarrock
Oct 10, 2002, 04:19 PM
Nidarrock is the name of a king Xicor(creature I made up).

ABDUR101
Oct 10, 2002, 04:24 PM
Studied world wide religions, reverted to Islam, took the name Abdur as my name.

Abdur means "Slave" or "Serveant", and my long running Yahoo name was abdur101. So when PSO was released and I was dead set on an HUcast, it was fitting to use the same name, only with all uppercase letters, effectively meant Slave 101, which was a fitting label for an HUcast.

Thus the epic was born... o-O

*EDIT*
I also use the first letters of my first and last name to go by AR101, but not often.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ABDUR101 on 2002-10-10 14:43 ]</font>

LostHero
Oct 10, 2002, 04:26 PM
Many a drunken and sleepness night of pso lead to Losthero. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif I came to this site after Lynx told me he took a pic of me with my chainsawd for this site called pso-world.com... so I used my pso name and wala! I've been using this name on practically every forum since.

Deathscythealpha
Oct 10, 2002, 04:32 PM
Massive Gundam Wing fan back when i first started coming here, but somebody already had the name Deathscythe (never seen them though...), so i settled on Deathscythealpha, which ive been shortening to D-Alpha latly. Easier to type and doesnt look too fan boyish to Gundam.

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
Oct 10, 2002, 04:37 PM
K`kyo-wa called me sunappurunyankochan so there.

SS_Death
Oct 10, 2002, 04:59 PM
For my PSO World name the SS comes from my clan name. Had to do this as someone had already got the handle of Death.

I'm am honestly unsure why I chose to use the name Death. I used in all the FPS and Strategy games I played in Multiplayer (Note: Since playing Tribes 2 I switched to LoneWolf)

I chose Death for a name because it represents what he is. Death. Plain and simple.

Yup, going to bring up tarot cards again. The death card has two meanings, when right way up it means death with rebirth. However inverted it means death without rebirth, oblivion. In my fan fiction I have explored this theme as Death goes from representing the inverted card to experiencing the nornmal version. Its hard to explain...

Either way, its REDRIA, which making me a type A and getting Power, Def and Evade materials made it all worth while.

Second character Shadow...another mystery, just trying to think of a suitable name and it came to mind...might have been influenced by a cheats page read once about FF3 and the hidden character in it called Shadow.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SS_Death on 2002-10-11 01:54 ]</font>

RavenTW
Oct 10, 2002, 05:08 PM
Raventw was my best char at the time I joined, and I was a big EB junkie, so...

Davion
Oct 10, 2002, 05:23 PM
I started using Davion as my name for everything about 3 years ago. It was the first time I'd ever played an online game (Mechcommander for the PC) so I looked in the back of the game's manual to find a name. First Davion Guards of house Davion...hmmm I like it. So I named myself DavionGuard1. Original huh? I later shortened it to DavionG1. It's still my name on Gamespy arcade.
When I got PSO, I was thinking "What could be a good name.....DAVION! Hey it sounds good for a first name. As stated before, Davion is the last name of a house in Mechwarrior. Ian Davion, Bob Davion, etc. Angelus is Davion's last name. I got it from a very good (but not very well known) game for the PC. Actualy Diego Angelus (who is the middle brother in my fanfic) is is exact name of the main character of Metal Fatigue. It's sort of my little tribute to my favorite PC game.

Alielle
Oct 10, 2002, 05:54 PM
Named for this cutie from El-Hazard.

http://home.ec.rr.com/iswhitch/alielle1.gif

ginko990
Oct 10, 2002, 06:05 PM
My friend called Kongol from legend of Dragoon Ginko Biloba and I thought it was funny so i made my character Ginko Baloba.

Rotis
Oct 10, 2002, 06:19 PM
I've been Rotis for roughly 6 years now.

Take "visitor" and spell it backwards, and you get rotisiv. Shorten it for convenience, and... rotis.

Technically, I am not the original; I am Little Rotis.
The first rotis stopped using the name, so I dropped my "Little" prefix and kinda took over it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rotis on 2002-10-10 16:24 ]</font>

Darrin
Oct 10, 2002, 06:25 PM
Darrin is my real-life name

Kent
Oct 10, 2002, 07:01 PM
I use my real name because it describes me perfectly.

_xX_Frosty_Xx_
Oct 10, 2002, 07:26 PM
Frosty was the name of one of my first internet friends that I met on a game called Ants! on MSN Zone. I used to play there alot. Well, one night I wanted to try a new class, so I chose a HUcast. I couldn't come up with a name for it, and I thought back for an old one, so I chose Frost. People started calling me Frosty on PSO, so it just sorta stuck.

Ness
Oct 10, 2002, 07:27 PM
For me, it was in betwwen Mexidon and Ness. I choose Ness because he was the character I was using at the time.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Oct 10, 2002, 07:37 PM
I watched a few wrestling videos of the Japanese wrestler Hayabusa. He was amazing to watch seeing all the things he could do and helped invent to innovate the 'sport.'
I created a Green RAmar as my third character when my main character(RAmar) was Nolled(my first time being Nolled) by someone online. Masked as is the real life man and with long brown hair.

Hayabusa the real life man was injured severely some months later and I wanted to keep his legacy alive even if its not really too cool to take after someone else's name in such a situation.

eRUPT
Oct 10, 2002, 08:22 PM
From doing graffiti. I had a bad temper so my graffiti name was erupt.

_xX_Frosty_Xx_
Oct 10, 2002, 08:40 PM
I always thought eRPUT was a cool name......

Dangerous55
Oct 10, 2002, 10:33 PM
Well, I came from a http://www.PD64.com. It was my first forum, so in Perfect Dark a rank was Dangerous, and I was just Dangerous then. But I added the 55 for kicks. Kicks are good. I am also Whiterook alot. From WW2, like, WhiteKnight 1 this is Whiterook 1.

DeathCheese87
Oct 10, 2002, 10:57 PM
it just came to me when i played diablo for the first time.

Spy
Oct 10, 2002, 11:15 PM
Mmm. I got my name in the 2nd grade. Because I just watched the other kids play during recess. Idiots.

RuneLateralus
Oct 11, 2002, 12:42 AM
Rune=A character from Phantasy Star IV

Lateralus=Name of the recent Tool CD I had gotten.

Put to the two together and see what you get.

Abaddon
Oct 11, 2002, 02:52 AM
Abaddon came from a freeware RPG i downloaded and tried. It was really hard to beat, (it requires monotonous battles), but i just liked the whole atmosphere of the post apocalyptic setting, so i took it as my own.

People asked me what it meant, so i looked up its origin on the internet and it's also a religious word. Abaddon is (one of) the devil, but that doesnt reflect the person i am http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif, the name just sounded cool to me so...here it is.

Robert_Garcia
Oct 11, 2002, 03:24 AM
This guy:
http://www.gamegen.com/fightgen/characters/robert-s.jpg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Robert_Garcia on 2002-10-11 01:26 ]</font>

Zenigma
Oct 11, 2002, 08:16 AM
Wanted to use "enigma" but i seen too many. Same with "enigmatic" i burned a few more braincells and came up with "zenigma" im not the only zenigma, but only one ive ran across so far

BlackRose
Oct 11, 2002, 08:34 AM
I have no idea. It came to me while I was staring at the PSO character-creation screen, and I used it from then on. Since then, I've found a whole lot of Black Roses, so i guess my name wasn't that original.

My name that I use these days (when I can) is Jack Watson L3XV, or L3XVulcan. Jack Watson is my name, and L3XV is a shortened version of my birthyear (1985 -> '85 -> LXXXV -> L3XV) Vulcan is the Roman god of the forge.

unreal_magic
Oct 11, 2002, 09:02 AM
My name came from magic being unreal and my head had gon through a wall that day so i wasnt thinking normally.

neko-chan
Oct 11, 2002, 09:05 AM
Neko... "nekoneko@..." was the e-mail address of a friend on mine. At that time I didn't know what "neko" means... but I liked the sound.

The name came up in mind when I was creating my first PSO chara, back in december 2000 (or it was January 2001? I forgot), when I first got JP PSO v1.

I was never been able to go online with JP1 v1, so I sold that game and my first "Neko" was deleted. But I recreated her when I bought US V1 in the middle of February 2001, just because I liked the ORAN section id colour, associated to her name. >_>;

Nerd
Oct 12, 2002, 09:42 PM
mmmkay i had this pso friend nicknamed zmoothette and she called everyone 'nerd' affectionately, so when she quit pso i took it on to remember her by..

Alisha
Oct 12, 2002, 10:41 PM
the name i use here um it came off my birth certificate =P
however a name i have been using more and more recently Zoeila was given to me by my niece one day we were playing ssx tricly and she said i should call you zoeila cause you always pick zoe and ila is the first part of your name backwards

Ian D
Oct 13, 2002, 09:14 PM
Um I used Yoshi because I didn't know what else to use, so then I realized it was really unoriginal so I used my first name and my last initial... now that I think of it both of them are unoriginal, damn.

Ayame
Oct 14, 2002, 09:33 AM
Ayame is my real life name. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

My original screen name, as 90% of you DON'T remember (As most of the users now weren't around back then), SugarKitty, came from a nickname I used to have, called TeddyKandy. But then my love for cats grew and I was called the CandyCat, and finally, I came up with my own nickname for myself and out came SugarKitty! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

...but now it's Ayame, so nyaaaah~~! ;p

IceBlink
Oct 14, 2002, 10:01 AM
Ugh, again...

Well, I had my name from a song called Iceblink Luck, but I snipped off the Luck, since it's something which I'm not, and here I was.

Then, stupid people kept saying I'm a piece of armour off Diablo 2... *grumble grumble*

WourmGirl
Oct 14, 2002, 11:59 PM
My name was a nickname my ex-boyfriend coined for me when I was getting really heavy into Marilyn Manson... at the time, I was intrigued by the aspect of himself that Marilyn refers to as Worm Boy ("when I was a worm thought I couldn't get through it") and well... so my ex coined me WourmGirl, because, he felt that the simlilarities between skinny, nerdy marilyn and skinny, dorky gawkish me were just uncanny... and now that this guy is no longer my bf, i refuse to give up this name... just cuz its me... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif its also my aol name... and my cradle of filth messageboard name..... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Robert_Garcia
Oct 15, 2002, 12:14 AM
On 2002-10-14 07:33, Ayame wrote:

Ayame is my real life name. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

My original screen name, as 90% of you DON'T remember (As most of the users now weren't around back then), SugarKitty, came from a nickname I used to have, called TeddyKandy. But then my love for cats grew and I was called the CandyCat, and finally, I came up with my own nickname for myself and out came SugarKitty! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

...but now it's Ayame, so nyaaaah~~! ;p

I used to be called Lawrence Blood back when I was at Neo-geo.com... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

but then the admin banned me for having an opinion about him...

Sai-Yuk
Oct 15, 2002, 08:59 PM
Sai-Yuk... that came from the legend of fong sai yuk... a brilliant but unheard of couple of movie by Jet Li...

but, as well as that, i've been known to go by yraniB (Binary) because... well.. i have NO idea why i picked that, but, i was into the 'matrix' culture for a while, at one point - as well as being called stuff like 'Darkside' 'little red' and many other useless names...

most just know me as Jon though - middle name, but, i never lie about it and say that i am honestly called Jon... though i have thought of changing it by deed poll...

uninteresting, no?

KodiaX987
Oct 16, 2002, 12:11 PM
Started with mine on Starcraft. First I was Mr. Avenger (derived from my family name, and my Diablo-loving friends would always yell at me "The Butcher avenges!!") But after finding out I had a LOT more losses than wins, I changed.

So I decided to bastardize the Kodiak bear into some early form of l337 sp33k o.O;; Later on, in desperation I added 987 to my first hotmail address.

And thuis KodiaX 987 is born! The space is optional. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

As for Shurikane, it's easy. Just watch all the people who mispell her name! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Gazebo
Oct 16, 2002, 02:31 PM
I used to always use the name Chrono because Chrono Trigger was such a cool game. But, I found that a million other people have had that name. So, I switched from that to Cid because he was my favorite guy off of FF7. Found that a million other people had that. So, one day I was looking in a dictionary and I found the word gazebo. I thought it sounded cool so I stuck with it. I never took the time to look at the meaning of the word so it took me a long time to figure out that a gazebo is a small usually open-sided roofed structure in a garden or park. (by the way I stole that definition from encarta 98) http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

jello44
Oct 18, 2002, 12:17 PM
I probably posted this twice, but for those of you that don't know. JEL are my initials, LO are the first two letters of my last name, put them together and you get jello. The 44 was supposed to be a 4, but when I signed up for Prodigy back in the day, it was taken so I just added another 4, and I just used the name for years to come because it had stuck with me.

Phobos-X
Oct 18, 2002, 02:07 PM
Phobos is my fav char from Quake III, i wanted to use Xaero, but he got on my nerves too much

Dabra
Oct 18, 2002, 11:09 PM
This topic has been made a couple of times but oh well, here goes:

PSO was one of my first online games back in 5th or 6th grade. And i used Black and Darkblack as named. Then I realized i needed a name i could stick to. At that time i was reading the last dragon ball Z's (at the library) and there was this devil god, "Dabura" or "Dabula". When i got online on PSO one time after, i asked people if my name should be...then i forgot the super cool devil's name. I asked around if they what it was. I was unsure between Dabura and Dabra. So I chose Dabra. Twas online a year or 2 later that i realized that it was Dabura (dabula? meh), too late to change.

Shenrox is another story. I was talking to Reiken over PSO and the guy had all this Roleplaying background, and since i was an innocent kid back then, i was jealous so i wanted to make up a last name. Shenrox was, once again, from Shenron (shenlong?) from DBZ. But i realized it sounded awful so now i got none.

I was thinking Dabra Seken...nah.

And no i don't like DBZ.