PDA

View Full Version : PSO related topics for web.

FlamingVolvag
Apr 28, 2006, 12:54 AM
I need some help on deciding on some PSO related topics for my new web. Just click on my profile pic and you will be sent to my web. I already have one topic but its more related to me than PSO.

VioletSkye
Apr 28, 2006, 02:57 PM
I would consider losing the background music. You'd be surprised at how many people find that annoying when they visit a website. I know you can choose to turn it off at the bottom of the page, but others may not know that. Having created and maintained many, many websites over the years, I can safely say that the background music gets on people's nerves http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Other than that, it looks like you are off to a good start http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-04-28 12:58 ]</font>

KaneKahn
Apr 28, 2006, 03:23 PM
Just went to your site, the Vote for Next Gen Systems, best change the Revolution to the Wii http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

P.S. Hey Violet.

Otis_Kat
Apr 28, 2006, 03:24 PM
Trying to get into E3?

FlamingVolvag
Apr 28, 2006, 03:28 PM
On 2006-04-28 12:57, VioletSkye wrote:
I would consider losing the background music.
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-04-28 12:58 ]</font>
Do you mean all of the music or just the music for the Spawn Level 120 page?

Skorpius
Apr 28, 2006, 03:37 PM
DO NOT PUT MUSIC ON YOUR WEBPAGES.

Midi's sound like total crap, take time to load, and really distract from the professionalism of your webpage.

This is the NUMBER 1 rule people should follow in creating webpages/websites. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Otis_Kat
Apr 28, 2006, 03:40 PM
I notice on Sonic The Hedgehog you said you got your release date from wikipedia, I wouldn't trust whoever made that at all.

FlamingVolvag
Apr 28, 2006, 03:43 PM
On 2006-04-28 13:40, Otis_Kat wrote:
I notice on Sonic The Hedgehog
Oh yes. I can change anything daily. It is easy for me to find new info fo my web.

Deltra
Apr 28, 2006, 06:10 PM
Get rid of the BGM on your site. The music on your site is distracting, and makes it very hard for me to focus. As for PSO related topics to display on your site, it's really up to you. You may want to display rare items, give gameplay hints, the choice is yours. Other than that, it looks like your getting a good start.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Deltra on 2006-04-28 16:13 ]</font>

REJ-
Apr 28, 2006, 08:43 PM
Try and think of something unique that isn't on most other sites. Make a ninja video and put it on your site http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Shadowpawn
Apr 28, 2006, 10:27 PM
-Lose the BG music
-Place all your news in one spot
-Use ul or ols for news
-Divide your page into sections: One for the poll (perferable on the sides), news (center) and the counter (bottom)
-If you must have music then embed a flash player to play files. That would allow the user control over the player.
-I don't like the Navigation but it works.

If you need a flash player I could provide a link.

FlamingVolvag
Apr 28, 2006, 11:18 PM
If you need a flash player I could provide a link.

Yes I will need a link but I am not sure that I can use one without a premium membership. And if that is so than I will just download some songs from my compy. They are a lot better than the BGM on my site by far. I will be getting a premium membership sometme. They are really cheap if you get one for onw month. Its like $5.00 or somthing.

FlamingVolvag
Apr 29, 2006, 12:40 PM
There! Is everyone happy? I friggin upgraded to premium and put better music on the web.

VioletSkye
Apr 29, 2006, 01:20 PM
Try not to take the criticism personally and remember that everyone has his/her ideas about what looks/works best. I think you are off to a good start and with some hard work you could make a really nice site. I have a few suggestions for your consideration and keep in mind that everything is relative and what I think is a good idea, others may not http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

1. Get rid of the background music totally. Eliminate it from every page on your site. People don't like being surprised when music they don't expect suddenly comes blaring from their speakers. Also remember that there are people still on dialup and that slows them down when they have to wait for the page to load because of background music. And most importantly, not everyone likes the same kind of music. Personally I really don't care for the music on your site (it's just not my cup of tea) and it may stop people from visiting if they have to try and turn the music off each time.

2. Navigation. You may want to consider reorganizing the navigation on your site. Everything is just kind of thrown together with no sense of rhyme or reason. You could try moving the Navigation area to the left hand side (which is pretty common and people are used to that.) Once moved, try organizing the links into logical sections (for example, have a section called NEWS and place your Zelda, Sonic, Humor and Movie links under it.) Another example would be to have a section called GALLERY and have your Sonic Album and Sonic Album 2 under it and reorganize the rest of the gallery into specific sections.

3. Lose the generic background. Heh, I remember that background from the old, old Geocities days like 6 or 7 years ago. Find or create something you like personally and keep the file size relatively small.

4. Place the counter at the bottom of the page as opposed to having it in the top news article.

5. Place the polls into their own specific area (with the most recent poll placed on the frontpage possibly on the right hand side.) Definitely don't have a bunch of polls randomly scattered throughout your frontpage.

6. Add some forums!! People love posting in forums and you'll get more people visiting on a more regular basis if you allow them to interact.

As I said earlier, your site has potential but one more thing to consider would be to try and zone in on a particular subject as opposed to being a random menagerie of different subjects. Once you have a strong base in a particular area, you can build from that and expand. I guess what I'm saying is to try and focus on something specific and make that area as strong and content driven as you can. It's fine to post news about different things, but try to keep your focus on something specific.

PS. Hey KaneKahn http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

FlamingVolvag
Apr 29, 2006, 01:55 PM
On 2006-04-29 11:20, VioletSkye wrote:

u could try moving the Navigation area to the left hand side

3. Lose the generic background.

6. Add some forums!! People love posting in forums and you'll get more people visiting on a more regular basis if you allow them to interact.
try to keep your focus on something specific.

OK some things that I really need to know.
1. I dont know how to move my Nav
2. What is the Generic Background?
3. I dont know how to make forums.
4. What exactly do you mean by forums?
And alright Ill get rid of the music.

FlamingVolvag
Apr 29, 2006, 03:01 PM
OK these are the things that I changed:

1. Got rid of music
2. Changed temp so Navi is on the left
3. Placed all polls in my polls page
4. Put all pics in one album and named it gallery
5. I catogorized my pics

I still dont know how to create forums or put all of my nes into one page without having to type it all over again. Can someone help me with that?

FlamingVolvag
Apr 29, 2006, 03:48 PM
And there you have it. I made a forums page.

Deltra
Apr 29, 2006, 06:29 PM
Looks a lot better than yesterday. A few improvements worked.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Deltra on 2006-04-29 16:45 ]</font>

FlamingVolvag
Apr 29, 2006, 07:14 PM
On 2006-04-29 16:29, Deltra wrote:
Looks a lot better than yesterday.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Deltra on 2006-04-29 16:45 ]</font>
Thanks! I will try my best to maintain a good web.

VioletSkye
Apr 29, 2006, 11:45 PM
Looks MUCH better http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

EphekZ
Apr 30, 2006, 01:13 AM
I noticed many spelling errors.

FlamingVolvag
Apr 30, 2006, 01:14 PM
On 2006-04-29 23:13, darkgunner wrote:
I noticed many spelling errors.

Coulsd you point some out so I can change them?

Deltra
Apr 30, 2006, 01:32 PM
On the Home section, about Kingdom Hearts II..

"I however reserved a copy at Blockbuster and I have to say that Square Enix really have outdone theirselfs."

Theirselfs correct spelling is theirselves.

Home Section, Spawn Level 120

It will also be put into a story with continuing parts to increase suspence.

The correct spelling for suspence is suspense.

I will try to help you out with errors in spelling and grammar, if neccessary.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Deltra on 2006-04-30 11:33 ]</font>

EphekZ
Apr 30, 2006, 01:35 PM
The Nintendo Revoulution or now formerlty being called Nintendo Wii (pronounce like wee) will be called one of the following names

FlamingVolvag
Apr 30, 2006, 05:59 PM
OK they are fixed. I can type fast so I sometimes type the wrong thing and I dont notice it.

Eihwaz
Apr 30, 2006, 06:12 PM
You should run your text through a spell-checker before you post it online. ;o

FlamingVolvag
Apr 30, 2006, 07:28 PM
On 2006-04-30 16:12, Eihwaz wrote:
You should run your text through a spell-checker before you post it online. ;o

OH yeah? Well I tried that a while ago and it never stopped sayng please wait.

Deltra
May 1, 2006, 06:02 PM
You should put all the profiles for the Sonic characters into one section, and not into seperate links.

FlamingVolvag
May 3, 2006, 03:14 PM
On 2006-05-01 16:02, Deltra wrote:
You should put all the profiles for the Sonic characters into one section, and not into seperate links.

Well it's a little too late for that.....