PDA

View Full Version : God damn computers....

Zarode
May 5, 2006, 07:43 AM
I'm freakin' sick of computers AND school. I'm sitting here in school posting this, thinking about my computer that sits at my house, in a near crippled state.

The problem is: I got my new power source and graphics card for my computer. I installed the PSU (Power Source Unit, mind you) first, and everthing ran great! Nothing wrong, computer actually running better. It turns out the power source I was given in the Dell at first was only a 170V constant run. That's sad. Now I'm upgraded to a 400V Constant. Very nice, yes.

Now here is the real problem, when I put in my graphics card into the computer, and installed it, I'm still having problems with it. I had to uninstall Windows Defender because it got corrupt all the sudden. It feels like the C drive is broken, again. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Not enough power getting to it or something. This makes me sick. Everything in my C drive is getting corrupt. I really don't know why anymore. Enough power should be getting to the C drive, but I could be wrong.

I'm starting to think I need to reformat the C drive, and start over ON the new graphics card. That might be the problem. The computer is running stable now, and it can run Firefox and IE very well, it can also play Knights of the Old Republic II fine, so it hasn't corrupted that. Any and all of my online games have been corrupted, loverly. So, maybe I need to reformat the C drive, maybe it is something else. -_-;

*sigh* Why can't computer crap just be easy? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Blitzkommando
May 6, 2006, 08:02 PM
How often do you clean your case? Is the harddrive getting hot to the touch? How old is the drive? How hot is the processor running and what type of processor model?

Maridia
May 6, 2006, 09:05 PM
Does it click? <_<

First sign of trouble. Well. One of them.

ForceOfBrokenGlass
May 7, 2006, 01:03 AM
Computers love to break down when you need them most.

As of late mine keeps freezing if I try to do virus scans or if I go idle.

Avalandiel
May 7, 2006, 03:39 AM
Here are a few answers to some of the questions you asked:

1. "Enough power should be getting to the C drive, but I could be wrong"
1a. If there wasn't enough power getting to the Hard Drive (C: is just one partition on the HD) then the HD most likely wouldn't power on at all.

2. "I'm starting to think I need to reformat the C drive, and start over ON the new graphics card"
2a. Reformating the HD is the most likely measure you would take if programs start becoming corrupt, mostly caused by viruses or other means. However you do NOT need to reformat your HD because the video card is not working.

Now here are somethings you can try:

1. Make sure you new video card is compatible with your motherboard.
2. Check and see if you have the latest drivers for your video card (go to the manufactuer's website).
3. Also make sure your monitor is capable of displaying the various resolution settings your video card can support.

If you have already got your computer up and running by now, this disregard this post. What I listed are the most likley causes to the problems you have been having. Also keep in mind that Dell computers OF ANY KIND are extremley propriatary, as in if you break anything, or want to upgrade anything, you need to buy their parts.

~~Ava

Zarode
May 11, 2006, 07:42 AM
Well, here is an update on the situation right now.

First, we're getting a new computer. It's a DELL. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif Me mother chose Dell because she never really had trouble with our old one, besides the fact that I wanted to upgrade it.

The low down on the parts:

3.0 Ghz CPU Intel DDR1
2 GBs of RAM
160 GB Hard Drive running at 7200 RPMs <-- (isn't that the same for every harddrive now and days? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif )
A DVD+/-RW x16 dual layer I think. <_<; (note the plus or minus I attempted XP )
And a 19 inch Flat Screen Moniter! :~D Oh yeahs, a total upgrade from that crappy 15 inch regular moniter. I don't know if it is LCD or Plasma, but I am hoping it is the LCD...more time to keep it rather then the plasma to run out of juice.

The rest of the stuff we are getting is standard, besides the fact of Windows XP Media Center Edition. I'm fairly happy. I haven't gotten the old computer to work. It's stuck in windows setup.

Mind you, and if I have said this already, that I am a software man. I fix things via software better then hardware. I'm okay at Hardware, but not that great.

[edit]

And to those trying to help with my problem, thank you, but there is really not much I can do or can tell you. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif Hell, I'm posting in a school computer. And this is the second to the last week of school.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zarode on 2006-05-11 05:44 ]</font>