PDA

View Full Version : Backseat Gamers

haterade
Oct 12, 2002, 06:44 PM
"Do the uppercut! Do the uppercut!"

"Do a double super!"

"Do a super! Not that super, the other super that goes up!"

"Pick Morrigan and do the heart move!"

The words of a kid watching me play Marvel vs. Capcom. People who don't know how to play a game, or aren't even GOOD at the game, and aren't even PLAYING the game telling the actual game player what they think they should do... this is what I call backseat gamer. Funny thing is, they talk to the people who actually are GOOD at the game! I'm quite capable of whoopin' ass by my damn self... I know you've encountered some...

merlin
Oct 12, 2002, 06:51 PM
Funny you should mention that Haterade!!!

I remember that once upon a time there was this game called PSO, (maybe some of you have heard of it. It wasn't too popular). Everytime I'd play it here in the store, people would gather around and offer advice......and Merlin had several hundred hours on him. Do I LOOK like a newb?!?!?!?

The most annoying guys are the "first person shooter pros". If it entails a gun, they're a fuckin' expert....Duke Nukem in the flesh.

amoralist
Oct 12, 2002, 06:52 PM
Try backseat gamers for Marvel Vs. Capcom 2. They really want to tell you how to pull off an infintie while you're doing one without their help. Reading and doing are two seperate actions kid. You try it out! Oh wait, you're back there cause you're too scared to face me or you don't have the money. Too bad kiddo, off to the zoo with you. (Why the hell am I bitching off kids like that?)

Kupi
Oct 12, 2002, 06:55 PM
You know, I actually don't get much of that except in the positive direction. Granted, I don't really play at the arcades or (if I remember correctly about Merlin) work at a video game store. Typically, I'll get stuck at a boss in a video game and beat unable to beat it for some unholy period of time, when one of my family members will say something like, "Why don't you use one of your bombs?" I throw a bomb at it, boom. End boss fight.

In summary: I usually have my family recommend something crazy/out of the blue, and it works. And I'm 100% certain they don't use player's guides.

ABDUR101
Oct 12, 2002, 07:01 PM
"STFU before this controller is slammed through your face!"

"Yeah, hey, thanks for the tip, here's one, shut the hell up before I Fei-long your ass"

"Hmmm, interesting...I did'nt ask for a fighting assistant and yet someone keeps talking shit that they don't understand otherwise they'd be farther than me..."

That usually makes my nephews step back =o

Spy
Oct 12, 2002, 07:08 PM
I actually had a little shit press the buttons while I was playing the old Xmen sidescroller. He reached over and pressed my Wolverine Special button for one lousy sentinel. If I wasn't an adult I would have kicked him in the nuts so hard they would have pushed his eyeballs out of his socket.

I can understand giving shitty advice. But you never, NEVER push someone else's buttons.

merlin
Oct 12, 2002, 07:10 PM
Don't feel bad, Kupi.

That's happened to me a couple of times in the new StarFox. I have a blonde moment....and someone suggests doing the most simple thing and tada....

haterade
Oct 12, 2002, 07:25 PM
Heh, I thought I was alone... I just wanna SMACK them kids sometimes...a lot of the time...

"Do that 13 hit Captain America combo!"...fucker... how about I give YOU a 13 hit combo and crush your fuggin skull!!! If YOU don't know how to play...hell, even if you DO, either challenge me or shut the fuck up!

Oh, and Counter-Strike... "Use the Ak!"

"Why didn't you buy a flash? You NEED a flashbang!"

"Duck and shoot! Duck and shoot!"

Yes, I'll take advice from people with scores 4:19, while I'm at a nice 24 and 6... stupid asses...

pixelate
Oct 12, 2002, 07:48 PM
I always liked the kids that dance around behind you. For racing games, you see them sway back and forth. I had a friend fall off a bed 'cause of this.

Then there are the kids who are fierce enough to actually yoink the controller from you.

DeathCheese87
Oct 12, 2002, 07:53 PM
shit, dont get me started on those punks who either point and laugh at you and/or dance behind you while playing DDR or PIU...

ABDUR101
Oct 12, 2002, 08:20 PM
On 2002-10-12 17:48, pixelate wrote:
I always liked the kids that dance around behind you. For racing games, you see them sway back and forth. I had a friend fall off a bed 'cause of this.

When my brother's friend comes over to play games(the friend is in his early 20's), he's holding onto the controller, leaning to the sides, forward and back, and gets up and starts convulsing as he stares as the screen XD

Playing multiplayer GoldenEye on N64 was quite a sight to see, and Halo with this guy is a riot.

"Damnit Steve! You're not moving quick enough and bouncing up and down like a crack-headed cheerleader isn't helping!" - My brother or me

"Shut the hell up" - Steve

Deathscythealpha
Oct 13, 2002, 08:41 AM
Gah, i had a bunch of those little gits doing that to me on Metal Slug 2.

"Shoot up there, theres a secret guy"

"Throw a grenade"

"You can jump on that camel you can"

At which point i tell them to f*uck off and remind them that im the only one whos ever managed to get on the high score board for this game and i can get all the way to level four on one twenty pence peice where they can only get past the third enemy.

Then they follow you to the Puzzle Bobble machine...

Ness
Oct 13, 2002, 04:51 PM
I remeber when I played Marvel vs, Capcom this kid was telling me which characters to pick and waht to do. I told him to shut, leave me alone, and let me do what I want.

I think he ran off crying.

Ian D
Oct 13, 2002, 06:00 PM
Ahh, I remember those days. Hasn't happened to me in a long time since arcades are basically non-existant in my town but it did happen quite a lot on the ol' SNES. I remember going to my friend's house to play Mario and we'd both tell each other what to do or secret stuff, it didn't really bother us and it's more entertaining to talk while the other person is playing instead of sitting around.

BlackRose
Oct 14, 2002, 12:33 PM
Whenever someone tells me to do something, I give them a very long detailed explanation of why it won't work. Usually this shuts them up. Sometimes I do what they suggest, die on purpose, then say "See, now shut up."

If neither of those works, I just start playing Tetris Attack. Then everything gets quiet.

_xX_Frosty_Xx_
Oct 14, 2002, 01:00 PM
On 2002-10-12 17:08, Spy wrote:
I actually had a little shit press the buttons while I was playing the old Xmen sidescroller. He reached over and pressed my Wolverine Special button for one lousy sentinel. If I wasn't an adult I would have kicked him in the nuts so hard they would have pushed his eyeballs out of his socket.

I can understand giving shitty advice. But you never, NEVER push someone else's buttons.

Damn I can't stand that....especially not when I'm playing Tekken 4. I beat this lil punk because he kept being cheap with King and murdering everyone in the arcade, even the experts. I beat him with Steve, and he got mad @ me during a match and started pressing my buttons. I sitll kicked the other dudes ass anyway lol....

Moo2u
Oct 14, 2002, 07:55 PM
Hmm...that never happened to me. All that really happnes in Arcades is when a bunch of people are watching what I'm doing behind me and I hear a kid say how good I am. I feal like a gamer role-modle! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Oh, and also I remember one time when I fist got Shenmue, my family started to sit down one by one and watch me. They'd try to guess what would happen next, like in a movie or something. (And my mom kept on telling me to stop wasting my money on Toy Capsules! ^_^; )

Ness
Oct 14, 2002, 08:06 PM
I'm normally a mild-tempered guy, but when people start pushing my buttons, I get a little mad. This kids was around pressing the buttons that give you your money back on the game machines. This idiot had the nerve to do it while I was on it. As soon as I put money in it, he pressed the button and took it.

I told him to give it back, but he just hit me in the face and took it. I chased after him and tackled him to the ground from behind. Then I grabbed him arm and pried my money out of his hand. Then I said," How do you like that you homo?" Then I left him as if nothing had happened (which was hard since by this time I had drawn a crowd).

Abaddon
Oct 15, 2002, 01:03 AM
Backseat Gamers shit me.. They should all be locked in a room with 'Crusaders of Might and Magic'. Nut that one out O_o