PDA

View Full Version : "Hi! I'm calling you because I'm gonna send you a credit car

KodiaX987
May 11, 2006, 07:06 PM
So I got this letter a while ago to tell me that I had been pre-approved for a Petro-Points Master Card. All I had to do was send back the little coupon after having written my information down and there you go!

I tore up the letter and promptly stuck it into the recycle bin.

A few weeks later, I get a call from Petro-Points Master Card...

Fucker: Hi! I'm calling you on behalf of Petro-Points Master Card and to tell you that you have been pre-approved for a new Petro-Points Master Card with great advantages, including 2% off all gas prices at Petro Canada! Am I speaking to [Shurikane]?
Me: Yeah.
Fucker: And your phone number is ###-####?
Fucker: And you are still living at ###, #### Street in #######?
Me: That's right.
Fucker: How long have you been living there?
Me: 'Bout two years...
Fucker: Great! You are still a student I believe?
Fucker: Can I know your yearly revenue please?

Mom's in front of me and gesturing "what the hell's going on?" I gesture back about the credit card, at the mention of which mom has a reaction similar to a devout christian meeting a satanist.

Fucker: Sir? Are you still there?
Me: You're calling for... that Master Card thing again?
Fucker: Yes! You've been pre-approved for it! Soon as I get the remaining information from you, it'll be in the mail and on its way.
Me: ...what?

I froze. I completely choked on that one. My mind couldn't make the link between "pre-approved" and "in the mail". A "yes, OK, send it over" was missing between the two. And phrase which I had not said once or ever in the conversation.

Me: Hang on, I didn't approve of this card myself.
Fucker: Well, all you have to do is fill in the rest of the info and we'll send the card right over in the mail.
Me: Tell you what, I'll call back.
Fucker: You don't want our Petro-Points Credit Card?
Me: I'll think about it for a while and--
Fucker: But sir, you'll be missing out on great advantages! It's a no-fee credit card which gives you 2% off your gas bill everytime you buy fuel at Petro Canada, and you get to score Petro-Points wherever you shop and nfanfan a ndhjd09d jdqnd 3r f cqc3 3f3 f vc qc083 q3q...........

He went on for a complete 3:45 minutes (clocked) of explaining the advantages. Mom was in the background ordering me to hang up the phone right now.

Me: Sir, thanks a lot, I'll just call back.
Fucker: Would you like us to call you later on then?
Me: No, you don't call me; I'll call you.
Fucker: All right. Would you like our phone number so you may reach us again?
Me: N-- (whoa, bronco!) Yes, yes please.
Fucker: It's 1-800-###-####.

I draw the numbers in the air with my finger to make sure my timing is believable.

Me: Thanks, bye-bye.

Of course, I never called back.

So, for the impatient n00bs who didn't have what it took to read through the long post (HA!) here's a rundown of everything this guy can do wrong in life:

-Collect information and send me a credit card without my explicit consent. (I never even once said "yes, I want it" throughout the whole conversation and yet the guy was telling me it would be sent the minute I completed his form and hung up.)
-Takes WAY TOO LONG to explain a bunch of advantages that no one's interested in.
-Goes by the name of "Eric", even though that "Eric" sounds very much like a freshly immigrated "Mohamed".
-Will almost certainly call back within a week.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KodiaX987 on 2006-05-11 17:14 ]</font>

EJ
May 11, 2006, 08:18 PM
This reminds me of a card company asking for the same thing and he went throught every single thing including the policy and agreement and all that crap no one ever reads!

Until I had enough and told him that no one ever reads that crap!

Which he sound very relieve to have stop reading and was also not surprise when I said that.

sprky585
May 11, 2006, 09:24 PM
yeah i answered a call at my house and my dad HATES those, so when they go is this the owner of the house i say in a REALLLY high voice "yes, may i ask whose calling" and then they go on, and i literally ask them every question i can think of that would have to do with whatever the hell they're selling me, then after like a 10-15 minute conversation, im like, actually, i hate you and i dont want the F***** CREDIT CARD! and then i hang up...hey its a great time waster http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Solstis
May 11, 2006, 09:33 PM
I once spoke... er... was harassed by an Indian woman (As in, the subcontinent), who told me that I was going to receive a card. Basically the same dialogue, same response of "no...", but with a twist.

She told me that I didn't understand. Obviously, I this card was going to save my life, and I was an idiot for not accepting it. After about 2 minutes of arguing, I hung up the phone.

My roomate laughed at me.

zwandude15
May 11, 2006, 09:45 PM
I hate people calling my house... -_-

It reads "Private name, Private number," my mom gets mad because i dont answer it, and when i do, sure enough, "are you interested in (insert needless crap here)?"

I get what you're saying though, how people insist things on you... It really puts pressure on the people who they talk to.

I would hate to have a job where i make people's lives worse...

Jive18
May 11, 2006, 10:31 PM
Nice job Shuri, you handled yourself better than I would have. After about 2 minutes expletives would've poured out of my mouth before I hung up the phone. Damn telemarketers.

Patience is not a virtue I inherited from my parents. If someone is wasting my time, I'll let them know about it.

Daikarin
May 12, 2006, 04:38 AM
Fucking annoying. And when we say we're not interested, they make it sound like WE'RE the idiots.

Neith
May 12, 2006, 06:07 AM
I got phoned by a mobile phone tariff company a while back, trying to offer me some new tariff. Since my existing pay-as-you-go is doing me fine, I told them we had no interest.

Kept getting phonecalls from this same company for about another week. Now all I do is, if they phone me, I pick up the phone, and then put it on the bed and walk away. Come back in about an hour or so, and they've usually put the phone down XD

Zarode
May 12, 2006, 07:50 AM
Caller ID is an advantage, but letting the phones ring in my house hold is a pain... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

But what you did, Kodia http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif Pure genius, just like you always do. You really know how to get out of any situation. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif I should try that next time, if possible. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Sayara
May 12, 2006, 11:29 AM
"No thanks, im not interested." CLICK

Don't even give them a chance to reply or argue. Just cut them off.

Or do as my bro wants to do.

"Sorry, we're all dead." CLICK

Sord
May 12, 2006, 04:42 PM
On 2006-05-12 09:29, Tingle wrote:
"No thanks, im not interested." CLICK

Don't even give them a chance to reply or argue. Just cut them off.

Or do as my bro wants to do.

"Sorry, we're all dead." CLICK

that's what I do XD really sarcastic and mean like anyways

though, it's pretty rare that call ads come through, I think we have some sort of blocking service. Plus we mostly stick to our cellphones in my family, and theoretically those are private numbers. I've never been called on the cell but I've been present when someone was.

TheOneHero
May 13, 2006, 02:37 PM
I usually just hang up on people like that. >_>;;

Once we got this call from a telemarketer, can't remember what he was selling.

Him: "I'm with Blah Blahson, and we'd like to blah blah blah. May I speak with your parents?"
Me: "I'm sorry, they aren't home right now."
Him: "Well, we got a great deal on blah blah, when should I call back?"
Me: "Hmm, you can call back between 6:00 and 6:30 when we're eating dinner, like everyone else."
Him: "All right thanks...wait, you're trying to get me in trouble, aren't you?"
Me: "Ya lol"

A few months ago, we kept getting calls from some agency, asking for a "Richard Kimble"

I don't know anyone in my family with the name Richard, and our last name is Dodge.

After several times, from me and my family telling the guy that no one lived here by that name, and asking them to take us off their call list; I lost my patience...

Him: "May I speak with Richard Kimble?"
Me: "I'm sorry, I haven't seen Richard since he killed his wife in the Fugitive." *click!*

My eldest brother laughed. :3

Dre_o
May 13, 2006, 03:59 PM
You guys have just given me fantastic ideas of how to tell these telemarketers off who have been calling our house!!

(sits by phone, waiting for the bastards)

Eihwaz
May 13, 2006, 04:03 PM
As amusing as some of these suggestions are, try to remember that the Telemarketers are people too. They're just trying to make a living, and I'm sure they must realize that they are annoying people, but they don't have any choice. I don't like getting annoying calls, either, but when I get one of those calls, I merely say "No thank you." in a polite voice, and hang up.

If I'm in a bad mood, I might just hang up without saying anything. D:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eihwaz on 2006-05-13 14:03 ]</font>