PDA

View Full Version : Marching Band/Field Show

Jive18
May 19, 2006, 09:24 PM
I'm in the mood to dicuss my band's field show for this upcoming season *insert band geek insult here*.

Alright, our theme for field show this year is King Kong. Yes, it sounds pathetic. But after listening to the recordings of each song and getting my music, I'm pretty excited about it. I really dig the themes from the new King Kong movie. In general the music is pretty difficult, my instrument (alto sax) got stuck with a bunch of syncopated rhythms and 16th's, which will suck when we finally get out on the field.

As for the drill, we don't normally recieve our sets until band camp (July), but I imagine it is going to be a challenge as well. My band director has said it will be tougher than last year's anyway. Plus, 2 of the songs continually switch time from 3/4 to 2/4 to 4/4, etc., along with tempo changes. Anyone who's marched drill before knows how much of a pain this is.

I'm going to assume not many people will have the slightest idea of what I'm talking about, but whatever. I'm still excited. Our band has been progressing the last 3 years I've been in it, so this year holds a lot of expectations for all of our competitions. Can't wait to find out if I'm section leader as well.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jive18 on 2006-05-19 19:28 ]</font>

OutlawX
May 19, 2006, 09:26 PM
Ya'know man I have never been in band before but I never knew it was so hard! You changed my look on marching bands lol. But seriously man I hope you get the spot as section leader.

Jive18
May 19, 2006, 09:30 PM
Heh, thanks Outlaw. People who watch bands perform on the field don't really understand the technical aspects unless they've tried it before. A good band will make it look easy, which is most likely people never think about it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif.

OutlawX
May 19, 2006, 09:37 PM
Surething man. Playing an instrument takes hard work and time. Considering i play piano and that takes some consentration! (This goes for everyone!) Playing an instrument will improve your grades! AFter i started playing piano i got smarter! Try playing an instrument because it improves your consentrasion by a ton!

PJ
May 19, 2006, 10:09 PM
I know where you're coming from... I'm a band geek too! Not a marching band though, Stage Band. So for musicals and such jazz.

Our musical is in less than 2 weeks

I'm excited http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

OutlawX
May 19, 2006, 10:12 PM
Dude! My little bro is in Jazz band! Jazz band is sweet man! Altough I was never in a band but i know what everyone is talkig about of course. Good luc k.

Jive18
May 19, 2006, 10:14 PM
I was in pit orchestra for musical my freshman year. It was so much fun, but there's no way I'd have the time to do it again. 3 hours a night for 4 weeks got a bit overwhelming.

I've been in jazz band my first 3 years. It's by far my favorite part of band, playing swing is very relaxing to me.

Good luck with your musical PJ.