PDA

View Full Version : Been awhile since I made something...

Sgt_Shligger
May 25, 2006, 04:02 PM
Back to art. I have been busy with school and getting my grades back up that I have not been working much on my art. Summers almost here so I can work on my art again...

I sketched this in my notebook a few weeks ago but didn't get to inking it and coloring. Tell me what you think of it and I wouldn't mind a good critique.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/sgtshligger/fromancolorful.png

*edit* alomot forgot picture.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SgtShligger on 2006-05-25 14:03 ]</font>

BeeYee
May 25, 2006, 04:18 PM
looks quite interesting, meaning, strange

Sgt_Shligger
May 25, 2006, 04:32 PM
Um, that's not what I was looking for....

FOAtHeart
May 25, 2006, 04:48 PM
Just because gradients exist doesn't mean you should use them.

The effect is too plastic. Plus is just adds the the flatness of the lines.

Try fleshing out the shapes more.

Sayara
May 25, 2006, 04:49 PM
Your arms are very small. Compared to your otherwise massive body, your arms should be about the same size, not tiny little things. You could say his Right Arm is too short as well.

Interesting Shoulder pad though, and i dig the hair. XD

Plus what Fo says, for color/presentation terms.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tingle on 2006-05-25 15:16 ]</font>

Sgt_Shligger
May 25, 2006, 05:23 PM
On 2006-05-25 14:48, FOAtHeart wrote:
Just because gradients exist doesn't mean you should use them.

The effect is too plastic. Plus is just adds the the flatness of the lines.

Try fleshing out the shapes more.

I know the color is a little strange. I know gradients are not tha great but this is my first time using them and I was interested in how it would look.... it's supposed to be cartoony, not realistic. I am still going for realistic proportions though and thanks to both for pointing that out.

Sayara
May 25, 2006, 05:33 PM
I got in trouble for not mentioning said things before hand, don't make the same mistake. If you're aiming at cartoony, it is still suggessted you have a fairly accurate know how of realism figure. Having a 4 fingered slap happy fairly body proportioned cartoon dood is alot better then a mishaped figure underdeveloped body character with the word "Cartoon" slapped on it.

Sgt_Shligger
May 25, 2006, 05:40 PM
I overlooked the right arm length and i can see that the left arm could be a little thicker but not much. I agree with the don't make the same mistake. That's why I ask for critiques.

*EDIT* Cartoon is my way of saying thicker lines and cheaper coloring.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SgtShligger on 2006-05-25 15:40 ]</font>

Sayara
May 25, 2006, 05:45 PM
You did not get my message.

You were saying you wanted a critique. FO and me mentioned things that you forgot to mention about your image. "This is my first Graident use/experement, i am not aiming at Realism...etc", When you say nothing we assume you're aiming towards some sort of style; yet thats completely wrong for you.

Posting back saying Actually this is ...whatever, got me into trouble before; and it'd be a shame for that to happen again.

On another note, If thats what your definition of Cartoon means, then you're aiming at realism with cartoony lines; meaning our critique stand.

Sgt_Shligger
May 25, 2006, 05:53 PM
Yeah, I forgot to include what I was aiming for... I'll do that next time. Is there an easier way to use gradients in PSP? I had to make one in swatches and modify it so it would "work" in the place I put it in... tricky to explain.

Sayara
May 25, 2006, 05:55 PM
Generally, Gradients are hardly used. Not by the majority of people i know. There are preset gradients in PSP as well, though.

Sgt_Shligger
May 25, 2006, 05:59 PM
I wanted to try a gradient... it looks OK but not really good. I don't really know how to shade on the computer.... I have some knowledge about it but I don't know how to do it.

Sayara
May 25, 2006, 06:10 PM
I'd suggest taking a course about drawing, they give you basic knowledge of shading objects. And if you take a human body as just objects then you can learn how to shade them too.

There are cheap ways to do shading is by using Multiply Layer Property
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/Snoopychan/mult.jpg
Where using the same color as the base color, under multiply layer makes it darker.

Or actually pick a color darker then the base color and work with that. the 2nd method gives it (to me) alittle more life because your perception of a darker shade of a color gives it more YOU vs the CPU picking your darker color.

Sgt_Shligger
May 25, 2006, 06:13 PM
On 2006-05-25 16:10, Tingle wrote:
I'd suggest taking a course about drawing, they give you basic knowledge of shading objects. And if you take a human body as just objects then you can learn how to shade them too.

There are cheap ways to do shading is by using Multiply Layer Property
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/Snoopychan/mult.jpg
Where using the same color as the base color, under multiply layer makes it darker.

Or actually pick a color darker then the base color and work with that. the 2nd method gives it (to me) alittle more life because your perception of a darker shade of a color gives it more YOU vs the CPU picking your darker color.

I know how shading works but I have trouble doing it on the computer.

KuroNetsune
May 25, 2006, 06:20 PM
hmmmmm, I've been meaning to do a tutorial on shading, perhaps this is the right time http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Sayara
May 25, 2006, 06:22 PM
Go for it, i can't explain worth the dickens http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif What I tend to do is take my painting 1-2 skill and just apply that to my cging.

But not everyone took painting 1 and 2 with me >.>

Sgt_Shligger
May 25, 2006, 07:35 PM
Thank you for the comments and advice. Does the gradiant look really bad or is it the fact other methods look better next to it?

navci
May 25, 2006, 08:01 PM
On 2006-05-25 17:35, SgtShligger wrote:
Thank you for the comments and advice. Does the gradiant look really bad or is it the fact other methods look better next to it?

It is more of the fact that it was really overused. One gradient on one area is fine. The entire picture is filled with gradient is too much. Much like lens flare by itself is fun. Lens flare in every single picture is a no.

KuroNetsune
May 25, 2006, 08:37 PM
haha, that's funny for you to say it, navci X3

back in subject though, to put it simple, it looks cheap, it looks too flat to be realistic, and too elaborate to be cartoony, ends up dangling in the middle and that's not good

non shaded art can be good, you want a good example? take Lilo&Stitch http://lucky-stars.ca/liloandstitch/pictures2.html the animation is great, the environment and characters cast shadows, but the characters themselves are not shaded at all

and I must say, I really liked that movie X3

as Navci said, sometimes gradients are nice, particularly in certain ways on backgrounds or to shade metals, but it should be a big no when dealing with delicate things like hair or clothes

Sgt_Shligger
May 25, 2006, 09:10 PM
Huh. So use gradiants on backgrounds but not on everything. It looks flatter without the gradients and just color though.