PDA

View Full Version : Meleeing a with fomar

cherry
May 26, 2006, 09:09 AM
what equipment should i use? what should i do? when should i start meleeing?

I need info on what you think woud be helpful

concussionman
May 26, 2006, 09:26 AM
When you are a higher level, you can equip a mag that has around 130 POW and that should raise your ATP to around 700, which isn't that much, but with good support techniques and possibly a Kasami Bracer (if you can equip it)you can start doing mediocre damage on high levels.
For wepons, Stag Cutlery isn't bad or maybe a Red Saber.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: concussionman on 2006-05-26 07:26 ]</font>

DarkEliteRico
May 26, 2006, 12:19 PM
On 2006-05-26 07:26, concussionman wrote:
When you are a higher level, you can equip a mag that has around 130 POW and that should raise your ATP to around 700, which isn't that much, but with good support techniques and possibly a Kasami Bracer (if you can equip it)you can start doing mediocre damage on high levels.
For wepons, Stag Cutlery isn't bad or maybe a Red Saber.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: concussionman on 2006-05-26 07:26 ]</font>

a FOmar won't be able to use a kasami bracer. I've always had good luck with a Pow mag, with a lil mind on it...a Rati or Sato mostly for looks and cuteness factor. Red saber or double saber have been fairly good to me as long as i've got s/d j/z ready to go. A battle unit also helps get the third combo down.

GrumblyStuff
May 26, 2006, 02:33 PM
Nor can Fomar use Stag Cultery.

I've been meleeing with my Fomar. One thing that you'll notice is he misses, a lot. Max out your ATA with */Arm units and don't bother trying to melee in tough areas.

Getting a good shield is hard. Even at level 110, I'm still stuck with a Secret Gear. You can hunt for a nice one (trioplic shield is useable by all IIRC), stick to easy areas (which, with the ATA situation, you should be doing anyway), or get ahold of high level Shifta/Deband (and Jellen/Zalure for difficult enemies and large groups).

As for weapons, you need ones with hit%. I use a Red Saber (which you can to 78), Soul Eater/Banish (Banish is nice but the Eater is more than enough for crowds), a Double Saber (these can get grinded significantly, too, but try to find one with hit%; also, they have nice TP stealing), and a Rainbow Baton (any good slicer will though; good for crowds and multi-part bosses).

DonRoyale
May 26, 2006, 02:55 PM
Double Saber is a good melee weapon for Forces.

Slicers such as Flight Fan are also useful. Spirit Diska's with hit% also work well.

The very first weapons I used for meleeing were Rappy's Fan and Grass Assassin Sabers. (Mind you, I meleed a lot in my early levels, I'm mainly a melee FO in solo mode)

The ultimate melee weapons are Hildebear's Cane, Hildeblue's Cane, and The Sigh Of A God. Use a MAG with high MIND over a MAG with high POW if you're using this method. Also equip the appropriate merges and spam the appropriate techs.

I call this method "Meleetech", because it uses a lot of free spell casting, and keeps TP for healing and support tech usage.

My FOmar with 1100 MST and 2200 TP uses this method extremely effectively, and deals about 2-300 damage with the weapons' specials, and 5-600 damage from the techs.

Nai_Calus
May 26, 2006, 04:56 PM
Are you online? Offline? Well? You provide no information whatsoever in your post, so.

I'll cover both.

Offline... Well, you're screwed out of some of the good equip, but you've also got a non-challenge with offline being so boringly easy. *shrug*

Soul Banish, Holy Ray, Double Saber or a good pair of Mechs are your friends here. Nicest armor/shield you can find and equip. /Arm units if needed, whatever else needs boosting. Don't waste time on a mixed mag, just use a straight 5/145/50/0. You have more than enough base MST for what little tech casting you'll be doing offline. You won't like this, but I find it better to wait until middling levels to start meleeing - Offline I'd say shoot for around 90, 100? You'll need time to find your equipment anyway.

Online... Well, it's a bit easier, you don't have to have several IDs in ult, just one and find people to play with to hunt rares.

Soul Banish, S-Rank Twin, Holy Ray are your friends. You will not be doing that much soloing because after about the first half of an episode it starts to hurt. XP Max your ATA, now. Again, don't bother with MIND on your mag, 5/145/50/0 is good. Wait until I'd say at least L130ish to start doing this, before then you simply don't have the stats. Plus, again, weapons take time to find/c-mode takes time to do, etc. Find a good armor and a Resta Merge. Yes, I said Resta Merge. Keep a Secret Gear or whatever as backup for when you find yourself in a game alone or places where you need elemental resists to stay alive.

Now. Offline you can get away with just smacking things like a HUmar would. Online is another story entirely.

You. Are. A. Force. Your primary purpose in any team is to support. Your ONLY purpose in any team is to support, melee is just to fill in the boring periods when nobody is getting smacked around and everything has already been J/Zed.

Keep the team Shiftaed and Debanded, constantly. Not only does this help them for obvious reasons, it helps you. Jellen and Zalure all enemies except those it's a bad idea with, or who simply CAN'T be J/Zed. (Gal Gryphon, for an example of the former) This helps the team, again, helps you as well and also tags in case you find yourself not having time to hit anything or you can't get to everything before it dies.

Your primary weapon since things tend to come in packs is really going to be the Banish. It's OK if it doesn't have Hit. Unless you find one with a boatload of Hit you're still going to be missing in later areas anyway. With that in mind, don't even bother in places like, say, Seabed. You won't hit enough to make it worthwhile. Switch to a mind mag and support.

Resta, Anti should be obvious. Use them. You don't really NEED to Resta every time the RAcast loses 50 HP, but it becomes reflexive after a while so you will. XD (So does casting support techs, I've tried to use them on a RAcast before. XD)

Don't be stupid, keep your HU tactics in mind when meleeing, except maybe a bit more careful. You have crap for HP and DFP, remember this always. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Remember, support FIRST, smack things second. Don't start attacking enemies and THEN remember to J/Z them, J/Z should be the first thing you do except in special cases.

Remember also that while melee FOmars often get eyerolls, any good support Force is always more than welcome on a team. X3

And for the love of all that is holy, don't give him spiky hair. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

(Who, me, FOmar-obsessed? Naaaah.)

Dhylec
May 26, 2006, 05:06 PM
(Who, me, FOmar-obsessed? Naaaah.)
Yeah, said the dude who wrote long posts & guides on playing as a Fo. ;]

Delfi
May 26, 2006, 05:36 PM
Early level meleeing on a fo with a mind mag - get a technical crozier from the offline quest - if u have a char on ulti that is - then use that along with a barta merge - man it kiks butt on normal at least lol.My new lvl 14 fomar has made it to the ruins already http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif but with only 89 HP i think falz is gonna eat me up lol

xxTrystanxx
May 26, 2006, 06:10 PM
LOL. I started my FOmar as a joke, LOL. He uses Akiko's Frying Pan and Wok of Akiko's Shop, plus a Double Saber for bosses and quick TP stealing. The big surprise is that while I expected to do like, 6 damage, I'm PWNING with him <_<

And no, he doesn't have spiky hair, he has the tall hat (with a white outfit, he does indeed look like a chef... with a 'burger MAG to boot.)

Delfi
May 26, 2006, 06:30 PM
LOL - if mags were real i couldnt have a burger flyin by my shoulder id be too tempted to eat it - oh well..

My fomar is small very small - with white hair and white and yellow robes and a yellow amulet cos he a yellowboze - then he has angel wings a barta merge and a technical crozier or mace of adaman and he looks soooooooo cool !

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Delfi on 2006-05-26 16:30 ]</font>

Muzuki
May 27, 2006, 01:02 AM
if i can melee w/ FOmarl then i think u can melee w/ FOmar

Charmander02
May 27, 2006, 01:33 PM
A Fomar must: Holy Ray

S-Rank Twin is also good, but only if you can get it.

Rhelik
May 30, 2006, 02:21 PM
I play my FOmar offline in single and multiplayer and generally play the jack-of-all trades kind of character.
Starting off is quite slow. I actually meleed for a while since i popped on Akiko's Frying Pan and a POW mag (145 POW) and just walked through normal and hard. At VHard, i turned myself into a full-blown mage and leveled up until i could use the Red Saber. I got a Devil/Battle from a friend and had that too.
Now at level 130ish, i play basically using the full FOmar arsenal.
I use daggers as primary melee damage
Gi- spells for support damage
Bringer's Rifle for any single target ranged damage i want to do.

Gi- spells with the Sorcerer's Cane arent bad. At level 30 gifoie with the +20% from the cane, +natural bonus, and about 900 MST i can usually hit Bartles for around 500 dmg. It doesnt sound like much but assuming you walk into a room with 5 bartles, hitting them all for 500 maybe 2-3 times with Gifoie and then using daggers to finish them off is way quicker than just meleeing them to death. when you're a FOmar.

Also, i usually go into mage-mode for bosses rather than attempt to melee them. This just goes much faster and is more practical in my perspective.

For Multiplayer, i tend to play with one and on occasion two others. When its just my buddy and I, i'll just play the same as normal Single player. The only time i really just did support was when my buddies, playing HUnewearl and HUmar, were playing. My melee damage would have been pointless next to theirs.

Anyhow, Ian pretty much covered the best description on how to play.

Just some things to keep in mind:
You are NOT at hunter, dont expect to weak attack for 500 without breaking a sweat.
ALWAYS keep Shifta and Deband up, at least Jellen everything or else you're gonna hit the ground. Zailure is optional in my opinion, i dont use it normally. Make sure those support techs are as high as you can possibly get them.

jkrox4eva
May 30, 2006, 04:27 PM
Now at level 130ish, i play basically using the full FOmar arsenal.
I use daggers as primary melee damage
Gi- spells for support damage
Bringer's Rifle for any single target ranged damage i want to do.

now, FO's cant use daggers my friend.

xxTrystanxx
May 30, 2006, 04:49 PM
Some of them they can. Particularly Grass Assassin Sabers.

And Wok of Akiko's Shop, too http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: xxTrystanxx on 2006-05-30 14:49 ]</font>

cherry
May 30, 2006, 04:53 PM
Twin Chakaram ftw

Rhelik
May 30, 2006, 07:25 PM
On 2006-05-30 14:27, jkrox4eva wrote:

now, FO's cant use daggers my friend.

Only some, like the Twin Chakram.
The highest are P-Arms Blades, which i use. I only like daggers for the fast attack speed with a God/Battle. 100 luck and 6 attacks, that's a pretty nice attack round. The ATA leaves much to be desired, however. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_no.gif

EJ
May 31, 2006, 03:31 AM
The ata may be bad but hit on weapons is a god sent and I can't say much else that Ian have already cover, dam you Ian and being obesse with fomars http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

FelixFelicis
May 31, 2006, 05:15 AM
grass assassin's saber isn't a dagger.... I believe it is twin sword... only daggers forces can use are as following...

-P-Arm's Blade
-S-Berrill's Hand
-Twin Chakram
-Wok of Akiko's shop

GrumblyStuff
May 31, 2006, 06:09 AM
S-Berrill's Hands or S-Beat's?

HAYABUSA-FMW-
May 31, 2006, 06:36 AM
On 2006-05-31 04:09, GrumblyStuff wrote:
S-Berrill's Hands or S-Beat's?

S-Beats is only HU and RA correct?