PDA

View Full Version : Make your own keeboard?

Cube
Oct 17, 2002, 07:58 PM
Me and Sedyne were talking not so long ago and the keeboard issue came up...

Well, it was suggested that you could "go buy a gc extension cable for 10 bucks....find old not used keyboard (like your dreamcast keyboard) cut off end of keyboard wire and cut part of cube extension cable off. and wire them together. all keyboards use the same wiring. it's just connecting it to the port that changes when a keyboard is created."

So I was wondering... is this possible? Probably not because the circutry inside the DC KB isn't compatable with the GC... but who knows? Anyone want to give it a try before smashing this idea into nothingness?

Etrigan
Oct 17, 2002, 08:08 PM
I'll give it a go this weekend. If no one else does before Saturday, I'll write up how it worked, or didn't work.

It sounds like a good idea to try, I'm not using my DC keyboard for anything anymore.

ginko990
Oct 17, 2002, 08:33 PM
If that worked that would be jawsome. I think I heard snapple talkin about it a while back. let us knwo how it goes.

Cheech
Oct 17, 2002, 08:39 PM
Also, isn't there this adapter that lets you use PS2 controllers on Gamecube? And isn't there a PS2 keyboard that connects through the controller slots? Hmm...

SilencePSO
Oct 17, 2002, 09:26 PM
Don't try it. It was tried by some people on IGN and it fried out their contoller ports. The GC controller and PC keyboards use differant voltage, it will fry your cube! I repeat do not try it!

If you don't listen well, it's not my fault, don't come crying to me if you fry your cube http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Cube
Oct 17, 2002, 09:33 PM
which is why u would use a DC Keeboard... O_o;

Spy
Oct 17, 2002, 11:14 PM
All teh RAmars will be using the ASCII keyboard. Period.

Etrigan
Oct 17, 2002, 11:40 PM
On 2002-10-17 18:39, Cheech wrote:
Also, isn't there this adapter that lets you use PS2 controllers on Gamecube? And isn't there a PS2 keyboard that connects through the controller slots? Hmm...

Unless there's a different keyboard than the Sharkboard, no. The Shark uses the PS2's USB slot.

What's this about frying my controller ports? I may have to pass on the test if there's any doubt on that issue.

Parn
Oct 18, 2002, 12:43 AM
I already attempted this, and failed. The biggest problem is that there is no data anywhere regarding the GameCube controller port's pinouts. Without this data, you really don't have much to go on regarding which wire is for what. The ONLY thing that was obvious was which wire was ground. There's so many possible combinations, and I didn't have alligator clips handy, not to mention that I didn't feel like going off to buy them. That, and there was the risk of blowing out the controller ports. After a few tries, not to mention hard-resetting the system a few times, I gave up.

BTW, there is no difference between a Dreamcast keyboard and a PC keyboard, for the record.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Parn on 2002-10-17 22:54 ]</font>

flyrobinfly
Oct 18, 2002, 10:49 AM
It's not just the pinouts - the DC and the GC both use proprietary serial protocols for their controller busses. There's zero chance that they would just happen to be running at the same frequency and arranging the data on the line in the same fashion. Replacing the DC keyboard's plug with a GC one makes about as much sense as ramming a video camera's composite output cable into your PC's USB port and expecting to magically stream digital video somehow.