PDA

View Full Version : telemarketers go to hell...

Saraphim
Jun 7, 2006, 05:13 PM
Me and my wife were out for two days and when we got back there were messeges on the phone. Now, I knew it wasn't anything important because they would have called one of us on our cell phones.

I picked up the phone and dailed to voicemail. It said " You have 22 messeges, if you want them now press 1"

I was like "Damn, something must have happened at work, and they lost my cell phone number"

It took me almost 30 minutes to clear all the messeges. Of the 22, 1 was a wrong number, three were from in-laws, and the remaining 18 were telemarketers. Most were machines just spitting out there recording unaware its talking to another machine. There were a few that were actual people.

That surprised me, because it brings up the question : Does anyone call these annoying retards back? I mean seriously, how attention starved does a person have to be to call a telemarketer back?

Anyway, the next day our home phone rings (just as we are sitting down to dinner of course) and its a telemarketer. Here's how it went down (you may find this funny)

ME: Hello?
TELEMARKETER (TM):Good evening Sir, how are you doing?
ME: I was doing fine, until you inturrupted my dinner. What ever it is you are selling I do not want.
TM: You don't even know what my offer is. If I could..(inturrupted)
ME: Good bye
TM: If I could just have a minute of your time, Sir.
ME: You telemarketers want a lot of my time, if I talked to each of you idiots as long as you wanted to make your offer I wouldn't have time for anything else. I was gone for two days and had to clear thirty minutes off messeges from assholes like you. If I sound rude, I'm not sorry. It's intentional.

There was a pause, but I knew he couldn't just hang up. I thought he was going to yell at me or something. I was wrong...

TM: Sir, if you would just hear me out.
ME: You are pathetic, did you not hear what I just told you? Do not call here again asswipe.

I hung up the phone and chuckeled a little. My wife looked at me and said "Why didn't you just hang up on him. You gripe about time lost to telemarketers, when all you had to do was hang up on him."

And she's right, of course. It was just therapudic in a sense. I can only imagine the verbal assults that those morons take day after day (especailly the dumbass that called me).

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jun 7, 2006, 06:48 PM
Kinda makes spam E-mail look tame in comparison.

Did that do not call list fall through?

What about those number scramblers sold in like Radioshack?

My little brother used to babble nonsense when he knew it was a recording, then hang up.

I'm more susceptible to telemarketers, and just now offers by the store clerks. I usually hear them all the way out then say no. And a second time. And a third.

Granted the AT&T guy or whoever it was might not have deserved your rage from the cell phone crap, but I do agree with standing up for yourself after such a bombardment.

The guy on the end of the line is also a person and has to make his bread and cheese just like everyone else, even if his job is seen as largely annoying.

We've had some telemarketer job rants here in the past, so I understand both sides. Granted 20+ messages on a private cell phone is way too excessive.

EphekZ
Jun 7, 2006, 06:56 PM
It's their job.

Atayin
Jun 7, 2006, 07:08 PM
I'm almost ashamed to admit that, a few years ago, I was a telemarketer. I hated it. I never much cared for telemarketers calling me and all of a sudden, I was one of them.

If there's one thing I've learned about Telemarketers, it's that in order to get any real money, they need to sell something to you. There are very few telemarketers out there that are actual GOOD salespeople, so sometimes they think that by being persistant, they might make some cash. I hated all my co-workers, hated my job and quit before long at all.. good riddance to that.

If you want to get rid of a telemarketer, prank him. Put on a funny accent and lead him around in circles. Here's what I do. There was a guy who did it to me while I was a TM and he owned me every single time.

Me: (in accent) "Heelo? I help u?"

TM: "Yes.. (hesitant after hearing the accent) I err.. was hoping to have a moment of your-"

Me: "I dont know"

TM: "Uh.. but sir, I haven't-"

Me: "I don't know"

TM: "Sir.. today I'm offering-"

Me: "I DONT KNOW. I justa work here, u kno?"

TM: "Work? But I thought this was a residence?"

(Long pause......)

TM: "So this isn't a residence?"

Me: "I don't know, I just a work here, u kno?"

TM: "...you don't even know if it's a residence?"

Me: "Huh?"

TM: "(repeats self)" ... sometimes I try to get them to repeat themselves as much as possible. Keep asking huh to piss them off. Then go back to the...

Me: "I don't know."

if you can keep from laughing.. it's always comedy gold to see how long they try to break ground when you keep saying the same 2 things. If you've got free time when they call, give it a try, it's awesome.

Charmander02
Jun 7, 2006, 07:09 PM
TM: Good evening sir, how are you doing? *makes offer*
ME: Me No speak-a english, *talk in filipino* bye!

*Hangs up*

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Saraphim
Jun 7, 2006, 07:28 PM
On 2006-06-07 17:08, Atayin wrote:
I'm almost ashamed to admit that, a few years ago, I was a telemarketer. I hated it. I never much cared for telemarketers calling me and all of a sudden, I was one of them.

If there's one thing I've learned about Telemarketers, it's that in order to get any real money, they need to sell something to you. There are very few telemarketers out there that are actual GOOD salespeople, so sometimes they think that by being persistant, they might make some cash. I hated all my co-workers, hated my job and quit before long at all.. good riddance to that.

If you want to get rid of a telemarketer, prank him. Put on a funny accent and lead him around in circles. Here's what I do. There was a guy who did it to me while I was a TM and he owned me every single time.

Me: (in accent) "Heelo? I help u?"

TM: "Yes.. (hesitant after hearing the accent) I err.. was hoping to have a moment of your-"

Me: "I dont know"

TM: "Uh.. but sir, I haven't-"

TM: "Sir.. today I'm offering-"

Me: "I DONT KNOW. I justa work here, u kno?"

TM: "Work? But I thought this was a residence?"

(Long pause......)

TM: "So this isn't a residence?"

Me: "I don't know, I just a work here, u kno?"

TM: "...you don't even know if it's a residence?"

Me: "Huh?"

TM: "(repeats self)" ... sometimes I try to get them to repeat themselves as much as possible. Keep asking huh to piss them off. Then go back to the...

Me: "I don't know."

if you can keep from laughing.. it's always comedy gold to see how long they try to break ground when you keep saying the same 2 things. If you've got free time when they call, give it a try, it's awesome.

That's hilarious. If I do have free time I will try it. And you have a good point about them not being good sales people in general. If they were, they would have real sales jobs (i.e Cars, Electronics Stores and such) when the real money is at.

And to dark gunner: I realize it's their job, it's the incredible tunnel vision of some of these people that ticks me off (as in the guy I mentioned). To be honest, I figure most people do that because they are desperate for a job. That does not give them the right to harass me or my family about some Vinyl Siding for my house (we live in an apt http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif)

To Hayabusa-FMW: These calls were left on my home phone. I knew it wan't important because all my friends/family have our cell numbers (except In-Laws, long story). When I heard how many messeges there was, I was afraid that my job was trying to get ahold of me on my home phone because they lost my cell phone number.

DizzyDi
Jun 7, 2006, 07:56 PM
On 2006-06-07 16:56, darkgunner wrote:
It's their job.

Word.
S'not like they're doing it for fun or something. They gotta bring the bacon home somehow.
They're not assholes, they're not pricks, and they don't deserve to go to hell.

InfinityXXX
Jun 7, 2006, 11:08 PM
It's their job.

THANK YOU!

I am a telemarketer and its not like we REALLY want to call yall, its our job and we have NO control over who we call and when we call them. We sit at a computer and all of a sudden the phone rings and our script pops up thats all to it.

Its all done with computers. We're jsut reading a script(verbatim most of the time) majority of us are there for a paycheck and getting a sell may be nice since you can get from $5-10 commision on your pay check. Also, if your wondering how telemarketers get your name, its probably through some service you subscribed too.

Not only that, but you can easily get rid of telemarketers by saying the magical words " take me off your list". Then in 30 days no more telemarketers from that company will call you.

To be honest, I use to get heated when I first started (I was called cuss words, racial slurs, and was threatened once) but now I just play along with our customers or express how sorry I am for calling but assuring them its my job.

But heres something some of yall may want to know. If your cussing out or being a serious ass to a telemarketer and they get real quiet....chances are their holding the mute button and saying some bad things about you. Yeah, its very common but we only do it with the evil, mean customers.(We're recorded and the big bosses and supervisors excuse us for venting IF the mute button is pressed)

But yeah, next time they call you, tell them to take you off their list and try not to get nasty. Just be polite and say it. Ever since I've become one, I have a hold new outlook on telemarketers.

Saraphim
Jun 8, 2006, 01:20 AM
On 2006-06-07 21:08, InfinityXXX wrote:

It's their job.

THANK YOU!

I am a telemarketer and its not like we REALLY want to call yall, its our job and we have NO control over who we call and when we call them. We sit at a computer and all of a sudden the phone rings and our script pops up thats all to it.

Its all done with computers. We're jsut reading a script(verbatim most of the time) majority of us are there for a paycheck and getting a sell may be nice since you can get from $5-10 commision on your pay check. Also, if your wondering how telemarketers get your name, its probably through some service you subscribed too.

Not only that, but you can easily get rid of telemarketers by saying the magical words " take me off your list". Then in 30 days no more telemarketers from that company will call you.

To be honest, I use to get heated when I first started (I was called cuss words, racial slurs, and was threatened once) but now I just play along with our customers or express how sorry I am for calling but assuring them its my job.

But heres something some of yall may want to know. If your cussing out or being a serious ass to a telemarketer and they get real quiet....chances are their holding the mute button and saying some bad things about you. Yeah, its very common but we only do it with the evil, mean customers.(We're recorded and the big bosses and supervisors excuse us for venting IF the mute button is pressed)

But yeah, next time they call you, tell them to take you off their list and try not to get nasty. Just be polite and say it. Ever since I've become one, I have a hold new outlook on telemarketers.

Cool, I'm glad that a telemarketer posted here. If I may ask, do you leave a messege on some one's voice mail if they don't answer, and if so does anyone ever call you back?

And yes, I understand that it is thier job. I had a crappy job when I was in highschool. I was a dishwasher at Golden Corral. Now that is a crappy job, I would come home soaked from the steam coming off the industrial washer for $4.25/hour.

I don't know about most people, but that "do not call" law is a joke to me. As you pointed out it's all done by computer, it takes all of 5 seconds to delete a phone number. Not 30 days. And when you do ask that, what really happens is your number is sold to another telemarketing buiseness. This vicious little cycle can go on and on (nice little loop hole isn't it).

I also know why we are gettingso many calls now too. We have recently purchased another computer (gawd thats our third one in 2 years), and paid cash for it. However I still had to register for the warranty, so I'm pretty sure that's why these people are calling.

I should point out that what really set me off was his unwillingness to let it go. After all that I said he still went on with his pitch instead of hanging up.

Balthor
Jun 8, 2006, 06:57 AM
I should point out that what really set me off was his unwillingness to let it go. After all that I said he still went on with his pitch instead of hanging up.

No one was holding a gun to your head, ordering you to stay on the phone.

Daikarin
Jun 8, 2006, 10:15 AM
Just hang up. If you want to be polite, then say something like "I'm gonna hang up now, I'm busy. Sorry".

navci
Jun 8, 2006, 12:48 PM
It's their job.

And I agree with Dalkain here. If you don't want to deal with them, just hang up. No need to make another person's day horrible. You are one person that snapped at him, imagine how many people snap at him per day. And the poor guy only wants to make some money and not be fired. (prollly why he insisted to talk to you) It is the companies that hire telemarketers that needs to go to hell, not the people who called you.

Well at least real people call you.
I am suprised they left you messages though.

Oh ya. Wait till you deal with debt collecting agencies. XD I had the misfortune of dealing with some that was after the person who had my phone number before. ._.

DLShAdOw
Jun 8, 2006, 04:28 PM

It's their job.

THANK YOU!

Thank you i wanted to say this to. ehh its a living

InfinityXXX
Jun 8, 2006, 07:02 PM
On 2006-06-07 23:20, Saraphim wrote:

It's their job.

THANK YOU!

Cool, I'm glad that a telemarketer posted here. If I may ask, do you leave a messege on some one's voice mail if they don't answer, and if so does anyone ever call you back?

And yes, I understand that it is thier job. I had a crappy job when I was in highschool. I was a dishwasher at Golden Corral. Now that is a crappy job, I would come home soaked from the steam coming off the industrial washer for $4.25/hour.

I don't know about most people, but that "do not call" law is a joke to me. As you pointed out it's all done by computer, it takes all of 5 seconds to delete a phone number. Not 30 days. And when you do ask that, what really happens is your number is sold to another telemarketing buiseness. This vicious little cycle can go on and on (nice little loop hole isn't it).

I also know why we are gettingso many calls now too. We have recently purchased another computer (gawd thats our third one in 2 years), and paid cash for it. However I still had to register for the warranty, so I'm pretty sure that's why these people are calling.

We're required to leave a messagge( I only do it, if I'm recorded though) and the guy that called you wwas probably the type that want to make some sort of career out of it. If you say no once, their suppose to convince you and if you say no again then their suppose to drop it.

I'm not exactly sure how the do not call system works but I will say that twice I put a person on do not call list and I ended up calling and talking to them again.

KodiaX987
Jun 8, 2006, 07:57 PM
Wasn't it that shitty company where their "do not call" list was actually a "call them again in a week rather than the next day" list?

washuguy
Jun 9, 2006, 01:41 PM
These people are losers okay? They sit and call random people all day. They have no life...

DizzyDi
Jun 9, 2006, 03:15 PM
On 2006-06-09 11:41, washuguy wrote:
These people are losers okay? They sit and call random people all day. They have no life...

They have a life, and thats why they're calling people all day. So they can have enough money to LIVE thier life. Sheesh, kids these days.

InfinityXXX
Jun 9, 2006, 04:27 PM

First of all, we don't sit and call people all day. We have lives too for the 13 hours we don't work and we're only calling because like dizzy said, we want to live our lives and not become homeless. And trust, me, me and many others I work with, our FAR from losers so how dare you make some accusation about us and you don't even KNOW us.

If you wanna make a dumb, ignorant comment like that and talk about our job, talk about the bosses and computers, not the telemarketer. We have no control over who we call,when we call and what we say. Its all computers and companies that give your name and number to the computer. If we don't do what we're told, we lose our job.

Gather your information before you assume who we are and how we operate before saying a dumb comment like that again.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: InfinityXXX on 2006-06-09 14:28 ]</font>

Oriontheone2
Jun 9, 2006, 04:37 PM
Now, I would suggest to get your number on a private list.

Correct, i would have suggested that, but things like this are rather entertaining, especially threads on them, so keep up the good work. Here is how one of my conversatons went.

*One ringy dingy*
*Two ringy dingy*

ME: Hello?

TM: Good afternoon, sir, how are you?

ME: Well, I'm rather spiffy. You?

TM: I'm fine. Have you heard of the new (w/e it was, I don't remember it)

ME: I don't know, have you?

TM: Well, yes, The(______) is new and improved.... *cut off*

ME: So, it's better than the first one?

TM: Yes.

ME: Well you must have some geniouses over there, because it is definetally hard to do something stupider than that, then try to sell it.

TM: Sir, if I may have a moment of your time...

ME: A moment is too long. You have five seconds. *Starts Counting.

TM: Sir... *FIVE* Excuse me... *FOUR* just one moment *THREETWOONE*

*Click*

Though, I do sort of pity these people, they just put up with this stuff so they can go home and get called by more telemarketers.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_turnip.gif

Balthor
Jun 9, 2006, 05:23 PM

You're an idiot.

navci
Jun 10, 2006, 12:10 AM

Whoa. You need a screwdriver in your ears.

Saraphim
Jun 10, 2006, 05:31 PM

I'm guessing he didn't read the earlier posts from telemarketers explaining how it worked. I made this thread so people could post there experiences (both sides) and general discussion. Sweeping (ignorant)generalizations do little to show your point, especailly when InfinityXXX stated how it works.

Even I don't think they are losers, I just get frustrated when I have 18 messeges from them to delete.

The doctor says I'm much better now...

Back on topic: I got another call today, almost as soon as I got home from work. I told the young woman that I wasn't interested and to remove me from the list. She tried again, and I repeated myself. She said it may take a month to get removed from thier call list, but my request has been noted.

Just hope it works... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

PanyoPanyo
Jul 2, 2006, 12:39 AM
I got revenge on one of them once.

TM: Hello sir.

Me: Yo

TM: O-Ok sir can we interest you in the new york times.

Me: But iam in New Je-

TM: If you sign up now you get blah blah
(about 1 1/2 hours past Iam watching tv and reading a comic)
TM: Blah blah blah all for $8.99!

Me: Iam sick from my school my parents arent home bye bye.
*click*

Iam pretty sure I made some girl cry that day.

isahn80
Jul 2, 2006, 01:31 AM
I once worked as a telemarketer. I quickly found out why that job has the highest turnover rate of all.

It wasn't all bad working there, however. The guy sitting next to me would always start hitting on the women he called that weren't interested in the product, which were timeshares (he hated the job as much as I did and actually wanted to get fired). Usually they hung up immediately, but not always.

The best one went something like this:

(BTW I couldn't hear the woman's end of the conversation)

John: Please, I just need a minute to explain how amazing....

John: Okay, I understand completely. But before you go, I wanted to let you know you have a sexy voice.

John: Yes, I really think so.

John: Thanks. Hey, what are you wearing?

John: So do you have underwear on?

John: Well take them off!

John: Alright, never mind. So what's your cup size?

John: An "A"? You need implants, bitch. *Hangs up*

He actually got away with this shit for nearly a week (our manager was busy masturbating in the bathroom the whole time or something). Even though he was a total asshole, he kept me entertained for the two+ weeks I worked there.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: isahn80 on 2006-07-01 23:33 ]</font>