PDA

View Full Version : When Funnel Cake goes wrong...

InfinityXXX
Jun 9, 2006, 10:20 PM
This is kind of mild...

But I hate how when you cook or make something for a lot of people and when you make it for yourself, it turns out to be crap.

I decided to make Funnel Cake for the first time so I mix all the stuff and heat up the oil. Now I cook 3 cakes for my mom and 2 siblings and they turn out great! Not burnt or anything, just right with right amount of sugar on it.

So, As you know, to make funnel cake, you have to use a funnel so I put my batter in the funnel but due to most of the batter being used up on previous cakes, my batter is comming out extremely slow.

So by the time i make my cake big enough, half of my cake is done but the other is still uncooked. So I'm sitting there, thinking of how I'm going to solve this before my cake burns to a crisp. So I try to sever the cake in half but that fails so I try to flip half the cake over so the top side can fry but then, the whole cake SEPERATES and oil gets into the fire(we have a gas stove)! So all the pieces are going in different directions and the fire is making a craking noise and by the time the fire dies down so I can get to the cake and seperate the uncooked from cooked.....all the damn cake is burnt.

So, thinking I still can save it I look into the bag of powdered sugar and guess what, theres only a itty bit of powdered sugar so I couldn't douse the burnt taste with powdered sugar.

Arrrgghh, I hate when stuff like this happen.

Jive18
Jun 9, 2006, 10:41 PM
It's incidents/stories like this that keep me from cooking. I'd fail miserably, and the frustration is not worth it.

I do commend you for trying though Infinity. Sorry it didn't turn out better.

btw, funnel cake rox

Charmander02
Jun 10, 2006, 04:30 PM
Lol i took an online test to see what career was for me and i got cook and baker.

Funny thing is i cant cook at all.

Just practice then i guess then you'll get better, though if you practice too much then you'll have a bunch of funnel cakes that you have to eat.

Saraphim
Jun 10, 2006, 06:32 PM
Wait untill you have to cook for a Christmas family get together. I had accidentaly purchased the wrong kind of flour, and used it. Fortunatly, I wasn't the only person bringing dessert. I was however the only one whose dish wasn't touched except once (by me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif I had to try it)

InfinityXXX
Jun 11, 2006, 11:41 AM
i've never been good at cooking period but I still like cooking. I tried cooking funnel cake yesterday but it turned out bad again. The Reason?

I used up all the cooking oil on everybody else and when it was time to make mine, my oil was so low that the damn cakes burnt on the bottom.

Sharkyland
Jun 15, 2006, 01:36 PM
Funnel cakes are good. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif It's tough making it, but when you get the hang of it, it becomes easier.

Like some famous golf person said
"Missing one day of practice, is one day less of becoming perfect."

Ma_Navu
Jun 15, 2006, 04:08 PM
Y'see, this is why I don't like baking complex things like cake; You'll never go wrong when you make the poor-man's-pasta, "Kraft Mac. & Cheese," still 38 cents a metric ton! I mean, how many times have you heard a fire caused by M&C? None, that's how many!

However, speaking from past experiences, if you leave the macaroni boiling in hot water long enough, they'll become so soft, even the soft-spot of a baby's head would be jealous!

Eihwaz
Jun 15, 2006, 05:16 PM
God damn it, now I want a funnel cake. ._.

Look on someplace like wikiHow (http://www.wikihow.com/Main-Page) to find ways around known difficulties in making such items at home. I'm sure you can find something, somewhere.

Sharkyland
Jun 15, 2006, 06:22 PM
There are kinda serveral ways of making it. Most important part of the funnel cake is definitely the deep fryer. Deep fryers aren't that much expensive, it's the amount of oil that you need to waste in order to cook something, but you could probably cook some deep fried turkey or even french fries for that matter if you are thinking of getting a deep fryer.

There are only two methods that I know on how to make a funnel cake. One way is to actually have it one of those pasty bags and then squirt it out like tooth paste (thin strips so once it gets into the oil it'll probably start slowly turning golden brown). The other method a store near me uses is basically just make a small pizza like disk and then fry it until both sides are golden brown. Take it out then you let the oil drain and then put powdered sugar. Though probably with the pizza type idea, you could probably make it in a skillet or so and just make the outsides crispy while trying to keep the inside nice and moist but cooked.

InfinityXXX
Jun 15, 2006, 11:33 PM
On 2006-06-15 16:22, Sharkyland wrote:
There are kinda serveral ways of making it. Most important part of the funnel cake is definitely the deep fryer. Deep fryers aren't that much expensive, it's the amount of oil that you need to waste in order to cook something, but you could probably cook some deep fried turkey or even french fries for that matter if you are thinking of getting a deep fryer.

There are only two methods that I know on how to make a funnel cake. One way is to actually have it one of those pasty bags and then squirt it out like tooth paste (thin strips so once it gets into the oil it'll probably start slowly turning golden brown). The other method a store near me uses is basically just make a small pizza like disk and then fry it until both sides are golden brown. Take it out then you let the oil drain and then put powdered sugar. Though probably with the pizza type idea, you could probably make it in a skillet or so and just make the outsides crispy while trying to keep the inside nice and moist but cooked.

I think I'm going to try the 1st method, with the pasty bag. I think It'll work out better that way. It gets really messy with using a funnel.

packdude4
Jun 24, 2006, 09:08 PM
i get my funnel cake from the fair!

Wyndham
Jun 24, 2006, 09:14 PM
On 2006-06-24 19:08, packdude4 wrote:
i get my funnel cake from the fair!

sadly, I know of nowhere near me to get funnel cake.
I've had it once, two or 3 years ago.

FOAtHeart
Jun 24, 2006, 10:05 PM
On 2006-06-15 21:33, InfinityXXX wrote:

I think I'm going to try the 1st method, with the pasty bag. I think It'll work out better that way. It gets really messy with using a funnel.

Also if you don't have a pastry bag just use a ziploc bag with the corner cut out. ;o

PanyoPanyo
Jul 2, 2006, 12:35 AM
aye Funnel Cake is very diffcult to make =3 however dont let this get you down keep trying Iam sure things will go right!