PDA

View Full Version : Xbox keyboard news

saffaya
Oct 19, 2002, 01:36 PM
according to Gamefront.de, the xbox live! starter kit in japan will have with PSO an USB adapter for plugging a keyboard in.

Sweet.

MoNoMaTe_MoNkEy
Oct 19, 2002, 02:09 PM
Good thinking by Microsoft!!

It will save many people some cash from spending it on an expensive ASCII keyboard or something. It will be a whole lot easier http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

saffaya
Oct 19, 2002, 04:07 PM
And anyone will be able to have a keyboard in one's language.

Of course, you could call M$ idiots for not having standard USB ports in the first place.
The Xbox ports are USB, but just modified enough so standard USB hardware won't run with it.

WraithAkaMrak
Oct 19, 2002, 06:56 PM
Sweet. Let's hope they release it in the U.S. too, even if not bundled w/ Xbox Live.

SuperSubZero
Oct 21, 2002, 09:40 PM
The trouble isn't the connector. I've seen diagrams for making xBox<>USB dongles easily enough. The problem is drivers. The controller apparently talks some weird language that isn't standard. This is why I can't find any adapters to use my xbox controller on my PC.. Nobody can figure out how to write the driver for it.

An adapter would be a disaster if they plan to keep things this way. If someone gets into the code and figures out how the game is making the keyboard calls, all kinds of 3rd party dongles will be made. Which I can't udnerstand MS not endorsing, since it would mean more peripheral sales. But whatever.

I just want that Steel Battalion controller to work on my PC. That's all I want.

Barubary6
Oct 21, 2002, 10:15 PM
Yeah, the problem is definitely the driver. The Linux driver for XID (Microsoft's name for the Xbox controller protocol) works very well, but the only existing driver for 9x/NT sucks a lot.

I am a decent NT kernel programmer, so I might write my own driver for it eventually. (Win98 and higher fake an NT 5 kernel mode environment as best it can so that USB and other drivers will work on both NT 5 and Win9x.)

-- Barubary

X-thirteen
Oct 22, 2002, 09:27 PM
jesus, why ae people still whining about no keyboard for US?
they already announced that xbox will have a keyboard. end of subject.
jesus