PDA

View Full Version : question about cleaning inside the pc

ziggurat8
Jun 12, 2006, 11:51 AM
Does anyone know if compressed air Spray is ok to clean inside the pc? If not what is the best way?

Blitzkommando
Jun 12, 2006, 11:53 AM
Just don't shake it or else you'll be spraying ice onto the components. Just use the can carefully and it works great.

Delicios
Jun 12, 2006, 12:07 PM
It does a good job.

Just don't shake it, and don't hold it upside down.

Like he said, if you do that you can shoot the liquid on parts. That liquid is very cold (and fun to play with) but it can do some damage if applied to the wrong places in your PC. Be like putting a hot glass under cold running water. Explosions.

Pheromone
Jun 12, 2006, 06:51 PM
On 2006-06-12 10:07, Delicios wrote:
It does a good job.

Just don't shake it, and don't hold it upside down.

Like he said, if you do that you can shoot the liquid on parts. That liquid is very cold (and fun to play with) but it can do some damage if applied to the wrong places in your PC. Be like putting a hot glass under cold running water. Explosions.

ooooh I gotta try this in the laboratory ^_^... errr it wasnt me.. it was bill ^_^

kassy
Jun 12, 2006, 07:13 PM
I've used compressed air before and it worked great, like was said, don't shake it (or it'll get very cold) and keep the can upright to make sure it's not coming out as liquid/vapour, give your PC components amble time to cool down before touching/spraying anything.

Plus before you touch anything inside remember to ground yourself, and also do it every so often as you work, by touching a non-painted metallic surface.

Shivore
Jun 12, 2006, 07:49 PM
A note about grounding yourself, if you ever touch anything inside your computer hardly ever at all, invest in a static strap. Should be able to find one in a radioshack or some other electronic store, it will ensure you are always grounded, which can save you a lot of grief down the road.

VioletSkye
Jun 12, 2006, 07:50 PM
Word of advice, make sure your PC is turned off before you clean it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif The dust bunnies flying around can cause shorts if you spray it while the pc is running. Sounds like it would be common sense but you'd be surprised at the amount of people who don't turn it off first. In fact I was at BestBuy not long ago and noticed a Geek Squad "agent" lol spraying someone's pc with air while it was running and I informed him of why that's not a good idea http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

metatime
Jun 13, 2006, 01:52 AM
I get my vaccum cleaner and use the tools on there to get the dust. It works much better then a can of air.

kassy
Jun 13, 2006, 09:37 PM
Something to take note of, it's not a good idea to use a standard house vacuum cleaner in the inside of a PC for anyone thinking of it, household vacuum cleaners create a lot of static electricity, major no-no.

If you ever use a vacuum, use a portable battery powered one that is designed for use in a computer environment.

metatime
Jun 14, 2006, 02:09 AM
On 2006-06-13 19:37, kassy wrote:
Something to take note of, it's not a good idea to use a standard house vacuum cleaner in the inside of a PC for anyone thinking of it, household vacuum cleaners create a lot of static electricity, major no-no.

If you ever use a vacuum, use a portable battery powered one that is designed for use in a computer environment.

What do you mean? You mean the the whole vaccum cleaner itself or the attachments that come with the vaccum?

I was thinking about that but wasn't 100% sure so I take precaution to minimize static electricity. Some computers I take in has so much dust that it is pretty much the only choice I have. I have done it on dozens on computers and never had any problems with it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: metatime on 2006-06-14 00:18 ]</font>