PDA

View Full Version : Going online, maybe...

Out_Kast
Jun 15, 2006, 02:13 PM
Does anybody know if it's possible to actually get onilne by using AOL as your ISP? because i read somewhere that you couldn't

VioletSkye
Jun 15, 2006, 02:29 PM
Dialup or Broadband? (**note that both methods will require a BBA and not a modem.)

If you use dialup, chances are you will need to setup ICS (internet connection sharing) through your PC. Your PC would need to have a NIC (network interface card) which is the same as an ethernet port and you would need to use a crossover(patch) cable to connect your GC BBA to your PC's NIC.

If you use Broadband, are you sure AOL is your actualy ISP? Some broadband users use AOL along with their actual broadband ISP. Explain your setup. Are you using just a broadband modem or do you have a router also?

I guess I made the assumption that this is for GC and not XBox, so if you are wanting to get online with an XBox that bit of info is important also. Just so you know, there is a TECH SUPPORT forum which is where this belongs and will probably get moved to.

Out_Kast
Jun 15, 2006, 02:31 PM
Oh, right
i have AOL broadband, and yep on the GC, and we dont have a router, only use the Modem, summet to do with DSL. i never knew there was a tech support page, though...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Out_Kast on 2006-06-15 12:32 ]</font>

VioletSkye
Jun 15, 2006, 02:40 PM
I'll admit I know absolutely nothing about AOL Highspeed, so hopefully someone who has used it can comment also. Do you know if your broadband type is DSL or Cable? Because that can make a huge difference in how you setup your network options in PSO. If it's cable chances are they are using a DHCP server to assign IP addresses and most DHCP servers from most cable companies will automatically assign an IP to any device that is connected to your modem (which is already registered.) That means, you may be able to unplug the ethernet cable from your pc and plug it into your CG BBA. Then powercycle the modem (meaning physically unplug the power cord from the modem for a few seconds, plug it back in and let it resync, which means the little lights come back on) and with any luck, the DHCP server will assign the BBA MAC an IP address and you should be able to go online with PSO (provided the ports needed aren't blocked.)

If you have DSL then it would be helpful to find out if it is PPPOE or PPPOA. Some modems have to be trained, meaning their is a username and password that is saved internally and used to allow access to the network, but not always.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-06-15 12:41 ]</font>

Out_Kast
Jun 15, 2006, 02:42 PM
well, i had a look at the setings and i found something called PPPoE, or whatever, but i dont know what it means, im not a technical person, really

VioletSkye
Jun 15, 2006, 02:59 PM
PPPOE is Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet as opposed to PPPOA which is Point to Point Protocol over ATM. None of that matters though so I'll spare you the details http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

With PPPOE, there is software that runs on the customer's pc that is used to access the gateway which gets you out to the internet. The BBA has PPPOE software built-in so normally you would only have to enter the username and password in Network Options (after selecting use PPPOE) in PSO and that should hopefully allow you access to the network (again, provided that the ports needed aren't blocked.) You may still need to powercycle the modem.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-06-15 13:01 ]</font>

Out_Kast
Jun 15, 2006, 03:01 PM
oh, so it's fairly complicated, but it can be done?

VioletSkye
Jun 15, 2006, 03:19 PM
If it was a "normal" PPPOE connection it would probably be fairly easy. Just go into NETWORK OPTIONS in PSO and set it for USE PPPOE under ETHERNET SETTINGS. Then click NEXT and enter in your USERNAME and PASSWORD. Leave the PROXY fields blank and that should be it. Powercycle your modem and try it.

HOWEVER, if AOL Highspeed is anything like AOL Dialup, and they use proprietary software (PPPOE software in this case) it might mask your "true" USERNAME and PASSWORD. What that means is that what you enter in for username and password is not the "actual" uername and password that the aggregator sees. The installed software on your PC encrypts the info you used to set up your username and password and sends out the "real" username and password to the aggregator to establish the connection. You won't ever know what your true username and password is. The BBA obviously lacks that encryption software meaning that what it sends out is exactly what you enter in and the aggregator will not recognize that info. I would try calling AOL to see if the PPPOE software used on your pc is proprietary and masks your info. Unfortunately, you are at the mercy of the knowledge (or lack of knowledge) of the tech you talk to, so it may take awhile before you get a straight answer. If they do use propietary software, then you may want to ask if they have a list of compatible routers that can be used with their service (which I would assume they do) and also have you checked to see if the modem itself has routing capabilities?

BTW I'm headed out for awhile so I may not answer back right away. If you have any other questions, I'll try to answer them when I get back or maybe someone else can answer them. Also check the TECH SUPPORT forum for this thread since it will most likely get moved. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-06-15 13:21 ]</font>

Out_Kast
Jun 15, 2006, 03:24 PM
Alright, thanks a lot http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif if none of that works, im sure changing ISP's to something suitable would be much easier...http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif