PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft saved or doomed?

Eanae
Jun 15, 2006, 07:45 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2006/06/15/technology/microsoft_news/index.htm?cnn=yes

Personally, I can see Microsoft going down hill from here. Have to give credit to Gate's heart though. Glad he's doing good with his massive wad of cash.

VioletSkye
Jun 15, 2006, 08:19 PM
Uhhh, actually I can tell you from first hand experience that his leaving will probably help M$. ALOT of developers and coders for MS have felt that the old school execs have really hampered their development in alot of areas. A big part of what was/is wrong with MS are Gates and his top level execs. Do a little searching and you'll see what I'm talking about http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

phunk
Jun 15, 2006, 08:21 PM
I don't think MS will go down hill from here at all. Gates will still be very much involved but not to the extent that he's in now.

VioletSkye
Jun 15, 2006, 08:36 PM
On 2006-06-15 18:21, phunk wrote:
I don't think MS will go down hill from here at all. Gates will still be very much involved but not to the extent that he's in now.

His involvement is precisely the problem. He wanted to get hands on in 2003 with Longhorn (which is now Windows Vista) and that has caused it to be the mere shadow of what it was going to be. Don't get me wrong it is a vast improvement over XP (and those with no real clue will tell you that it isn't) but it's not what was promised. WinFS is now just a memory and alot of the features originally tauted for Vista will hopefully show up in Windows Vienna (which will be the next OS after Vista and will probably have a name change as well.)

Getintothegame
Jun 16, 2006, 04:50 AM
Wait, Violet, can you give a brief summary of what you mean? I always thought the old execs and Bill Gates would always do good for the company?

darthsaber9x9
Jun 16, 2006, 06:10 AM
Even if it's bad for microsoft, it's good for those who benefit from his charity.

Skett
Jun 16, 2006, 11:24 AM
As long as Xbox doesn't suffer, I don't give a piss. And it shouldn't, since Gates had little involvement with it.

Luis
Jun 16, 2006, 11:41 AM
dont get me wrong but Bill Gates did only merchandise the software, he did not create code, he bought the code and some others ideas, and merchandise it.

In the case that Bill Gates did not exists, another one could do it, because those things that we used wasnt created by him.

He is a brillant mind ill give credit to him .......... for marketing.

KodiaX987
Jun 16, 2006, 01:32 PM
I remember back in 199-something, Gates resigned as CEO of M$. And now it looks like the same thing is happening to some degree only with a few job titles having switched places.

Nothing will happen as far as I'm concerned. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Blitzkommando
Jun 16, 2006, 03:05 PM
Well, seeing has he has been slowly decreasing his work load at MS for years now I doubt much will change when he does step down, two years from now. Really, we won't see much, if any changes until after that as he still holds the position until 2008. And, he isn't so much a marketing genius as business genius. He made some very good business decisions (And some very poor but overall the end result is a resounding success).

VioletSkye
Jun 16, 2006, 03:43 PM
Don't get me wrong, I've met Bill several times over the course of my emplyment there and he is actually a very nice person and his charity work is fantastic, but he really isn't a "developer" and many of the directions and roadmaps they have taken and/or put in place have not been very wise. Vista should have been so much more than it is now, but Bill got into the mix and wanted to have things ready to go way sooner than it should have. He made alot of promises about the new OS that won't be materializing and the focus of his team has been to get something released ASAP. He is a part of the Bad Microsoft and honestly, you have to either A. have worked for MS to fully understand what that means, or B. paid attention to what the developers have been saying for years and years now. Unless you are "in the loop" you won't understand alot of what I mean but I still have many, MANY friends who still work for MS as software developers and I have listened to them discuss whats wrong with the company for quite awhile now.

A business partner of mine (who is extremely good friends with the Gates family) has been saying the same things for as long as I have known him. Major focuses need to change and hopefully will be changing now as new people are filtering in to key positions. Security is finally getting the attention it needs and they have finally starting releasing development tools freely (which Apple has done forever) because quite frankly, the student/hobbyist/side project demographic is fundamental to their platform's long-term success. And lastly they need to focus less on hype and more on delivering a better product which means giving developers the time they need.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-06-16 13:59 ]</font>

Luis
Jun 16, 2006, 04:18 PM
On 2006-06-16 13:43, VioletSkye wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I've met Bill several times over the course of my emplyment there and he is actually a very nice person and his charity work is fantastic, but he really isn't a "developer" and many of the directions and roadmaps they have taken and/or put in place have not been very wise. Vista should have been so much more than it is now, but Bill got into the mix and wanted to have things ready to go way sooner than it should have. He made alot of promises about the new OS that won't be materializing and the focus of his team has been to get something released ASAP. He is a part of the Bad Microsoft and honestly, you have to either A. have worked for MS to fully understand what that means, or B. paid attention to what the developers have been saying for years and years now. Unless you are "in the loop" you won't understand alot of what I mean but I still have many, MANY friends who still work for MS as software developers and I have listened to them discuss whats wrong with the company for quite awhile now.

A business partner of mine (who is extremely good friends with the Gates family) has been saying the same things for as long as I have known him. Major focuses need to change and hopefully will be changing now as new people are filtering in to key positions. Security is finally getting the attention it needs and they have finally starting releasing development tools freely (which Apple has done forever) because quite frankly, the student/hobbyist/side project demographic is fundamental to their platform's long-term success. And lastly they need to focus less on hype and more on delivering a better product which means giving developers the time they need.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-06-16 13:59 ]</font>

Finally someone else than me that knows the truth i am tired of hearing say - Bill Gates invented the internet and the computers -

Daikarin
Jun 16, 2006, 08:47 PM
What about if neither? Bill hasn't been around as much as he was on the early Microsoft days, anyway.