PDA

View Full Version : FanArt: Pic Post #3

TheyCallMeJoe
Jun 20, 2006, 05:27 PM
Well this pic is one where I was trying a new style, so naturally it has MUCH improving to do. Everything looks a bit smudged in my opinion. A little more clarity would be good for my next one. And also the shading seems to be disproportional to the light source on the left shoulder (oh and the text is really lop-sided but I did that last minute haha). Of course I am still growing as an artist and will gain more experience as time passes. As usual, both criticism and compliments are welcome. Enjoy.
http://img274.imageshack.us/img274/6374/psopicno30cq.jpg

-EDIT-
doh, I left the section ID blank -_-

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TheyCallMeJoe on 2006-06-20 15:28 ]</font>

sprky585
Jun 20, 2006, 06:59 PM
pretty good, but im not one to judge cuz i cant draw at all

Sharkyland
Jun 21, 2006, 11:49 AM
Very nice shading...

ColonD
Jun 21, 2006, 12:47 PM
Hey, its pretty cool, nice dark shading and everything! (just gotta work on the source) And thats kinda hard to achive because pencils and mech pencils like to smudge, and it's not terribly smudged, Not to mention the pose is pretty cool. (Makes you think the HUcast could make you cry mommy in battle. >< )
And forgetting the ID isn't that bad, sometimes people like leaving it blank or filling it in dark. Or shading the part like it's an empty indent.
What ID is the HUcast out of curiosity?

Ancient
Jun 21, 2006, 07:45 PM
It's nice and dark, and the gradiations are well done, even if the light source isnt well defined. It is pretty dern smudgy though. Out of curiousity, were you smudging the graphite on purpose to get the gradiations, or was it just a matter of accidentally resting your hand on the pencil marks? If you are having trouble smudging on accident, try getting a drawing glove. Its just something to cover up the bottom of your hand. In highschool I actually made one out of a sock, just cut the end off and sewed it together in one part to cover my pinky and leave the rest of my fingers open, it helps keep smudging to a minimum. Of course now that I'm not totaly broke, I just use one of those open fingered typing gloves. Same thing.
Also, cool as that pose is, I'm noticing a bit of a pattern. Try not to let yourself fall into a rut of only drawing the same thing over and over, it limits your growth. Try the pose at different angles, if your feeling really experimental, try drawing a turn-around of it. Just draw the sketch of the pose, then next to it draw it slightly turned to the left or right, and then draw it turned slightly more, and so on, try going in roughly 45 degree increments. It will be hard at first, but it will help you tremendously to understand and properly render anatomy and a character in dynamic space. Remember, if just one part of a character looks flat, or akward, it throws the whole piece off.