PDA

View Full Version : other good online RPG

atomisk
Jun 22, 2006, 11:26 PM
alright, well, for some reason BB isnt working for me and Im loking for a similar game, I dont mind the monthly fee, but being able to download the client or the game being rediculously cheap would be nice. thanks

Zelutos
Jun 23, 2006, 12:24 AM
Ragnarok Online, Guild Wars..uh...WoW?

Shadowpawn
Jun 23, 2006, 06:14 AM
Ogame?

REJ-
Jun 23, 2006, 11:18 AM
Runescape http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

InfinityXXX
Jun 23, 2006, 11:40 AM
Theres World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Everquest 2, and Final Fantasy 12(I heard that one is expensive though)

You may want to try Ragnarok Online(it has a free 15 day trial and all you have to do is donwload it from the officail site)its kind of alright but it'll piss you off at times.(right now I'm on hiatus) But here are some pros and cons

PROS:
-Its has some cuteness to it(Its 2d sprites with 3d background)

-Its addictive

-good varitey of classes with more coming in the future. Examples are thieves, swordsman, mage, merchant. Upon achieving a class you can go to another class like a knight, crussader, assasin, blacksmith etc. There also new classes comming in the future(When the new classes come in, I'll probably get off of hiatus)

-Customization of stats( you can change how much damage you do or how agile you are which adds a whole lot of deph to the game and how well your class performs.)

-If playing in the main servers theres a lot of players to interact with

-lots of monsters and events

-PVP. you can fight other players with your characters

-theres a good amount of weapons, armors, stat booster, items, and fashion gear.

CONS:

-Repetition. All you do is click to walk or attack or to select. It can get dull at times.(But you also can use your hotkeys to use spells, and special attacks)

-Like I said in the pros, there are a lot of players in the main servers but 3 out of 5 of those players are scammers, jerks, and cheaters)

-Lots of bots.(If you don't know, bots are things that lazy people use to have the computer control their character and level for them. You can be banned for using it) Bots will attack your monster and take some of your experience so you'll want to avoid areas with lots of bots.

Also, lots of players with high levels and extremely good weapons usually botted to get this.Not all, but a good amount.

-Levels. There are a good amount of classes you can get but getting to the second class can take months. Once you hit lv 40 it'll take about a day(2-4 hours of gameplay) to gain one level and once you hit the 70s it'll take weeks.(Keep in mind how repetitive it is)And to get to the even higher transcendent class you have to level up to 99 and then restart back at level 1!

-Lags. I don't care how good you computer is, you'll still experience lags every now and then. They tend to happen during big events(it'll be crowded with players) and when fighting lots of monsters.

-Misbehavior. People are jerks and will do things that'll piss you off. Such as spamming skills to purposely lag you or using an item called a Dead Branch that spawns super strong monsters in areas that hold lower level characters.

-The Game Masters handle things wrong. If for some reason your accused of using a bot, a GM will pop up on screen and try to talk to you and if you don't respond, your banned. But lets say if you were away from the computer or went somewhere real quick with the game on, you can be banned for nothing.

-To adictive for some. I've heard stories and listen to other players talk about how they've been playing for 12 to 40 hours. Most I ever played was 6 hours. You'll have to learn how to balance your social life and the game becuase the game cna take over. I limit myself to 3-4 hrs a day and I take days off.

--------------------
I like the game but you'll have to take long breaks if you want to stay sane. Since its the summer you may wanna try it out, plus theres a 15 day free trial so you don't have anything to lose.

Currently, I'm looking into Guild Wars and World of Warcraft. I heard their good so you can try looking into those too. Theres also another MMORPG that was circulating around this forum. It involved leveling ships and stuff but I forget its name.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: InfinityXXX on 2006-06-23 09:44 ]</font>

KodiaX987
Jun 23, 2006, 12:55 PM
There's EVE Online too </plug>

atomisk
Jun 23, 2006, 02:09 PM
hmm, ragnarok sounds interesting but the grinding doesnt... I know there are private servers for that, are there any good ones that have a decent number of people on them?

DizzyDi
Jun 23, 2006, 02:35 PM
*link removed*

For all your RO private server needs. I used to play on a private server but got bored of it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

EDIT: Don't link to private servers!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Link00seven on 2006-06-23 20:19 ]</font>

Saraphim
Jun 23, 2006, 07:13 PM
As Kodia said, there's Eve. If your into Sci-Fi themed MMO's, then this may be for you. The client is free to dl, and comes with a 2 week trial. It is a little hard to describe, and best experienced for yourself. It should be noted that the trail DOES NOT require a credit card, in fact they don't even ask for any billing type stuff until you decide to start a paying account.

Try it, you may like it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
http://www.eve-online.com/

If you do try Eve, PLEASE to the tutorial. I know it's boring, but it is full of info. If you ask people stuff that is on it, they will be reluctant to help you (you also get some beginner stuff and money, which is always nice).

As you may have figured out, I play the game http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Here's some screens, and the movies on Eve's site are pretty cool.
http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f110/dman0101/Eve/

InfinityXXX
Jun 23, 2006, 08:22 PM
As far as private servers go. I dunno if you can be banned for using it (I doubt it) but I know its frowned on by many players(Personally I don't care,lol) but the amount of people on it depends on the server. It'll suck away your life and lower your grades if your not careful lol.

Link00seven
Jun 23, 2006, 10:19 PM
Be careful as you guys discuss private servers. You're not allowed to promote or link to them, but general discussion should be fine.

Eihwaz
Jun 24, 2006, 12:16 AM
GunZ: The Duel is a lot of fun, and is totally free. Guild Wars is also pretty fun, and there's no monthly free.

Dre_o
Jun 24, 2006, 12:43 AM
If you're looking for something RPG-ish but still with a lotta kick in it, you could try Space Cowboy Online (SCO for short of course.) Yea, it's not really an RPG, but you can do some pretty kick butt weapon combinations.

InfinityXXX
Jun 24, 2006, 10:11 AM
I've also ran across another MMORPG called MapleStory.

I haven't played it but its very unique. Its a 2d side scroller MMORPG. You have classes and you level up just like any other MMORPG but its side scrolling. Its also free but I've been getting mixed reviews on it, some say its good and some say its bad.

IrishSoldier
Jun 29, 2006, 11:55 PM
If your into turn based, check out Adventure Quest.