PDA

View Full Version : Computer Parts/help

DLShAdOw
Jun 26, 2006, 09:54 AM
I recently came into possesion of a free crappy computer. My aunt gave it to me because she thought it didn't work, but it does.

So i took it home an booted it up and it's like 300 mhz with windows 98...lol. so after a few hours the moniter she gave me stops working, like the light in front is on but the screen won't light up or show anything really(not even the built in adjustment menu).

So I still need to get her data off of it, so i need a site that has ok moniters at good prices, or if you have any idea what the problem is, help with that.

The other problem i'm having with getting the data off, is that it runs for anout 2 minutes the freezes with a weird graphical glitch. I was just thinking about ripping out the 10 GB hard drive and having my friend hook it to his computer and access it like an external then maybe i could get the data off that way, but if someone has a better suggestion please tell me.

Now for part 2. I realize that this computer sucks, so i am going to buy all new parts for it. I already have, the case, the hard drive, the power supply, and the the cd/floppy/zip drives, although i won't be using the latter 2. In light of this i was wondering if anyone could link me to that old thread i think VioletSkye made that had all the links and stuff about building computers, as I remember it to be quite good. Or if you know of good sites, just link me to them.

Btw i'm sorry if i don't respond, but i just got back from Indiana yesterday and I'm leaving for ocean city in a few hours so i won't have a computer to respond with.

Thanks In advance!

BeeYee
Jun 26, 2006, 10:09 AM
dont know if this is correct but here http://pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=114187&forum=9

http://pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=113134&forum=9

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BeeYee on 2006-06-26 08:14 ]</font>

GrumblyStuff
Jun 26, 2006, 10:12 AM
If you're interested in old games, you might just want to replace the monitor (and maybe the video card) and keep the computer as a legacy machine.

If you just need to get the data off, you can slave it to your computer. It's not a terribly complicated proceedure.

Lastly, it's not going to be worth it to upgrade it. The case might be salavagable but the rest of it should probably be shitcanned (unless you need/want a legacy machine but then you wouldn't be upgrading it).