PDA

View Full Version : *tear*

Dabra
Oct 22, 2002, 06:16 PM
Can you go THAT wrong with gamespot?

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/reviews/0,10867,2895431,00.html

SheogorathV2
Oct 22, 2002, 06:28 PM
Honestly, I'm shocked they even gave it a 5. Toejam and Earl was one of those classic games that you cannot improve upon. It's the same reason why every attempt to make a Tomb Raider sequel has failed, and why every Batman movie is worse then the last....

Because if you create something so inspiring, so legendary, and so perfect that it inserts itself permaneently into popular culture (OR popular subculture, as this case may be) then you have no way of truly improving upon it. Same reason why the new star wars movies all stink.

Now, take Valve for instance...they were never dumb enough to make a Half-Life 2...because they knew it would be impossible. They would never be able to leap over the bar created by the previous one.

All "Modern" Console games are, well....flawed to begin with. Thats why it best to keep your Genesis, Master System, and even your Saturn hooked up to your TV. Because let's face it, right now, the only halfway decent next-gen console game I've played was Hunter: The Reckoning for the X Box. Heck, and even that quickly became boring.

Tell you what though, if Sega comes out with an updated version of Herzog Zwei, they better not screw that up.

-Putting Chaos aside to pursue a career in landscaping
-Sheogorath

pixelate
Oct 22, 2002, 06:31 PM
Oh, screw them. I still want it.

Dabra
Oct 22, 2002, 06:40 PM
On 2002-10-22 16:28, SheogorathV2 wrote:
Toejam and Earl was one of those classic games that you cannot improve upon.

Can someone tell that to sega?

Kent
Oct 22, 2002, 06:50 PM
On 2002-10-22 16:40, Dabra wrote:

Toejam and Earl was one of those classic games that you cannot improve upon.

Can someone tell that to sega?

Or even better, tell the developers of the game.

Sega only published it.

Abaddon
Oct 23, 2002, 07:59 AM
It's just an interview. get the game anyway, i dont let a review rule whether i get a game or not.

I got Gundam Wing Side Story for the DC, the reviews gave it a 60%. Despite it being short, it was a great game to play. So yeah, follow your instincts, reviews are only a GUIDE at best.

RuneLateralus
Oct 23, 2002, 08:30 AM
Feh, it is only a review...

Reviews are meant to only give an idea of how a game is. They shouldn't matter to you when choosing a game. If you are curious to see how the game is, then either rent it or take a chance and rent it...that is the best way to finding out if you will enjoy it.

RellikTakahashi
Oct 23, 2002, 08:34 AM
Sega Dreamcast would have lasted longer if the president hadn't died. The new guy stopped it when they were getting tons of games. This new guy is making sega a 3rd party BAH!!

Nidarrock
Oct 23, 2002, 09:55 AM
I just read that review before coming here this morning. I was a bit shocked too, but I like to always get two reviews, a second opinion from a different website or magazine. I usually compare the EGM review with the ones on Gamestop. But if I want the game I ingnore the reviews and buy it anyway. I will say that trying to match the first game is going to be hard, but I will try it anyways. I think my wife wants it more than I do. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

The thing that ticked me off the most on Gamestop this morning was in the news section. Japan is getting an exclusive Panzer Dragoon Xbox. Not that I need another one but now that is two special things for the Panzer game Japan is getting and we will not. I'm hopefull we can get a few of the special edition games, but I doubt it. Forgive the rant. Sorry.

Phobos-X
Oct 23, 2002, 11:26 AM
is it just me or does JP always get the good stuff. i too kinda like the white "panzer" xbox and who knows what other type of xbox's sega will make, which makes me wonder, why doesnt Micro$oft do the same for us? like a Halo 2 xbox or summin?

Kent
Oct 23, 2002, 11:35 AM
On 2002-10-23 05:59, Abaddon wrote:
I got Gundam Wing Side Story for the DC, the reviews gave it a 60%. Despite it being short, it was a great game to play.

I don't believe there was a Gundam Wing Side Story for Dreamcast, I know there was a Gundam Side Story 0079, which was a great game, and my money well spent.

I am going to get ToeJam & Earl 3. I don't really trust places like IGN when they review games. They game the worst game ever made, Wreckless, a 9.1. That's just insane, it's not humanly possible to like that piece of crap that much.

I wouldn't even go as far as to use reviews like that as guides, since they can be so far off the truth.

Shrevn
Oct 23, 2002, 08:58 PM
Then again its a word of opinion to the eyes of others... they always change

Ness
Oct 24, 2002, 05:57 PM
Even though I liked the first ToeJam and Earl, those kind of games are no longer my type. Tj&E had a legacy like PSO v1: No sequel has lived up to it and no sequel probably ever will.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Oct 26, 2002, 03:11 PM
I also bought Gundam Side Story 0079 and enjoyed it despite reading a lackluster review in a game magazine(EGM).

Phobos-X- XBOX is getting a Halo 2, you didn't know?

RavenTW
Oct 26, 2002, 04:49 PM
All "Modern" Console games are, well....flawed to begin with. Thats why it best to keep your Genesis, Master System, and even your Saturn hooked up to your TV.

Heck ya! For some strange reason, I've been playing with PS4 quite a bit lately. Those retro games sometimes are better than the new stuff.

Don't let one review get ya upset. Your opinion is it's good, their's is it's bad. It's up to you in the end.

FunkyMcGunk
Oct 29, 2002, 08:50 PM
They're right, I played the demo that I got with my OXM and it sucks pretty badly. But, if you like it...how?

Nerd
Oct 30, 2002, 03:31 AM
I really dont have room to comment here, i dont have an Xbox, but i just think TJ&E are kinda...i dunno....outdated? I mean they are based on early nineties Will Smith-esque hip hop culture....

Toejam reminds me of Erkel

BlackRose
Oct 30, 2002, 01:18 PM
Reviews don't mean anything unless you know the reviewer. There's a movie reviewer here in town and he's great, because I ALWAYS disagree with him. So whatever he dislikes, I go see.

My advice would be to read what this guy writes about a few games that you have already and like. Then decide.