PDA

View Full Version : Superman Returns- final impressions.

Blue-Hawk
Jul 2, 2006, 09:09 AM
Well, I saw it last night and I must say that Brian Singer did an incredible job on this one. No character over-acting, no over useage of effects. Even the much talked about 'bullet to the eye' scene was well done. Now I'm glad I never got to see it in any preview.

Brandon Routh, as an unknown, actually worked as Superman/Clark Kent. Not many people could replace Christopher Reeve, but he did a great job.

I admit, I did have my misgivings about kevin Spacy as Lex Luthor at first. NOT ANYMORE! He makes the perfect Luthor. Smart, twisted and highly sadistic.

Even Kate Bosworth made a good addition to the actreses who played Lois Lane. And she looks good doing it too. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

All in all, I have to say that the story was great and the acting was superb. I would say that if you like super hero movies, even if you aren't a Superman fan, see this. it's worth the 2 1/2 hours it runs.

And for those of you that did see it, trivia- In the bar, the bartender was the actor who played Jimmy Olnes in the 1950's show. Heh, Jimmy talking to Jimmy. And the old lady in the beginning was the second Lois Lane in that same show.

And on a final note, alo to those who have seen it and might remember, it's a dog eat dog world out there. >_<

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blue-Hawk on 2006-07-02 07:10 ]</font>

VioletSkye
Jul 2, 2006, 12:31 PM
I liked it as well, except that I thought kate Bosworth was totally miscast. I didn't care for her as Lois. Kevin Spacey was a descent choice for Lex, but I thought he could have had a little more fun with the role (like Hackman did.) Overall though, I agree that Singer did a great job and that it turned out really well http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Allos
Jul 2, 2006, 12:58 PM
I'd give it a three out of four stars. Singer did a pretty decent job at continuing the franchise and I also believed that everyone was cast right (except Kate Bosworth as well...something about her performance seemed off, not bad, just off). I also thought it was rather anti-climactic.

jnblz316
Jul 2, 2006, 08:25 PM
I knew the movie was going to be good when the opening credits started and they pretty much kept the same look from the originaly Superman movie. Kate Bosworth didn't do it for me as lois lane and Kevin Spacey was great as Lex Luthur. All around this was a really good movie and this is coming from a person that was never into Superman. But I loved the first Superman movie and this one as well.

Treyburnout
Jul 2, 2006, 08:39 PM
Didn't like it at all, I was willing to give Roth & Spacey a chance but they sucked, and the thing with Lois's kid was just retarded

Allos
Jul 2, 2006, 10:46 PM
On 2006-07-02 18:39, Treyburnout wrote:
Didn't like it at all, I was willing to give Roth & Spacey a chance but they sucked, and the thing with Lois's kid was just retarded

Care to explain?

Shodan1028
Jul 3, 2006, 02:03 AM
I never was much of a superman kind of guy. Every time i open up a comic of him, he seems to have a new superpower. I'll stick with my Punisher comics, thanks. >.>

EphekZ
Jul 3, 2006, 10:41 PM
On 2006-07-03 00:03, Shodan1028 wrote:
I never was much of a superman kind of guy. Every time i open up a comic of him, he seems to have a new superpower. I'll stick with my Punisher comics, thanks. >.>

haha, just because you dont like superman you're going to dismiss a movie? I havn't seen it but it looks awsome. I hope to see it soon =)

EJ
Jul 4, 2006, 12:43 AM
I for one thought it was a great movie event hough some part conflict with the comic I thought the movie was great and seems they have revive the series like they did with Batman.

phunk
Jul 4, 2006, 04:30 AM
I thought the movie was really impressive. If you're a fan of the older ones then this one shouldn't dissapoint. When you compare it, DC movies are starting to look a whole lot better than the recent Marvel ones (X3 >.>). I hope another Batman flick is being planned.

kevlar_pso
Jul 4, 2006, 03:47 PM
Here's what I saw in Returns: Guy falls from a great height. . . .Superman flies in to rescue him. Large object falls fromthe top of skyscraper. . . .guess what? Superman flies in to save the day. You get the picture. I guess I was just looking for something unique and not quite so predictable. There were two moments like that in the movie that were pretty cool. On the other hand I liked how they didn't feel like they had to "dumb down" his orgins and explain away everything.

I did like X-Men 3 more than Returns. I suppose more of X3 seemed real than Returns did. It was just the way that the two movies came off. I have to admit though, that I nodded off a few times. It is more than two and a half hours longs. All things considered, Singer did do a good job and so did Routh. I guess I could have waited until it came out on DVD then bought it. With the cost of admission plus drinks and popcorn for my son and I, we could have saved a lil $$$. I look forward to the next flick, but Superman is just way too overpowered for my tastes.

Shodan1028
Jul 4, 2006, 05:24 PM
I'm still waiting for DC and Marvel to sign a deal to make a bundle of money off of my idea. What's my idea?
"The justice leauge VS The avengers"

Dhylec
Jul 5, 2006, 06:07 PM
Not bad at all. The story could be better, but I love the special FXs.

PrinceBrightstar
Jul 6, 2006, 01:33 AM
This is all I can say... http://lexluthorgraphics.ytmnd.com/

Shattered_weasel
Jul 8, 2006, 11:17 PM
On 2006-07-03 00:03, Shodan1028 wrote:

Someone needs o stop reading pre-crisis.

CherryLunar
Jul 9, 2006, 12:54 AM
I wasn't a big fan of the Superman franchise growing up, but I want to see the movie. I've heard a few good reviews so far. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

TheyCallMeJoe
Jul 10, 2006, 04:17 AM
Going into the theater I wasn't much of a Superman fan. And when I came out I still wasn't. But the movie wasn't bad at all...although something seemed to be missing for me. I dunno...too much talk lol. And Lois Lane is incredibly good at taking abuse and then appearing completely unscathed http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif. And I wanted to see more piano smashing action http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

But the graphics were great, I forget that half of the movie is made on a computer. There was one bit @ nighttime where the flying animaiton looked a bit outdated, but it was reminiscent of Christopher Reeve's films. Coincidence? I hope not. He deserves it.

Eros17
Jul 11, 2006, 09:07 PM
It was ok. Kevin spacey was awesome and superman's bastard son was insane. The guy who played Superman was a weener though...

- -
edited for spoiler

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dhylec on 2006-07-12 15:58 ]</font>

Kizaragu
Jul 12, 2006, 04:07 PM
On 2006-07-11 19:07, Eros17 wrote:

THAT better NOT be a spoiler.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dhylec on 2006-07-12 15:58 ]</font>