PDA

View Full Version : The ~$45 keyboard

Etrigan
Oct 23, 2002, 01:39 AM
Is it functional? Hell if I know. But after spending about an hour searching for parts, this is the closest I can get.

[Keyboard]==USB:maleA-->[FemaleA-USB:genderchanger-FemaleA]<--USB:maleA===[USB-PSX converter]====(PSX extension cable)====[PSX-GC converter]===[Gamecube]

The total is about $45.00 if you can find the parts locally.

USB Keyboard: Free(If you already have one)-$10-$100. Mine was $10
USB female A-female A gender converter: $3
USB-PSX converter: $10
PSX extension: $3-$5 Used
PSX-GC converter: $15

Beats spending over $80 for the ASCII if it works. Anyone want to give it a go?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Etrigan on 2002-10-22 23:40 ]</font>

Rhete
Oct 23, 2002, 01:47 AM
On 2002-10-22 23:39, Etrigan wrote:
PSX-GC converter: $15

Look good, but I hear the PSX-GC converter is pretty shoddy and doesn't work with some games. Who knows if it'll recognize a keyboard. Are you going to try this setup?

Etrigan
Oct 23, 2002, 02:08 AM
Hopefully. While I've priced all the parts locally, I'd still need to buy the two converters and would have to do the necessary splicing with my extension cable.

I'm hoping that someone can affirm from a technical standpoint if this method is even possible before I spend the money. I'm uncertain if the USB-PSX converter can work in reverse. But, this really is the only way short of some very intensive modifying to get around importing an ASCII.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Etrigan on 2002-10-23 00:15 ]</font>

rena-ko
Oct 23, 2002, 02:37 AM
afaik there are converters usb p/psx c, so then you'll have that psx p/gcn c converter (p = peripheryside, c = consoleside) and it should work (theorethically) :/

SheogorathV2
Oct 23, 2002, 03:16 AM
Well, I suppose it should work, my only worry would be how the PSO game will look for the keyboard. Working in tech support (Well, when I show up..heh) I learned that a machine has two ways of detecting hardware: Through built in support inside the main hardware unit itself, or through the software that needs the device.

So, I would say that as long as the PSO game says, "Hey, gamecube hardware...you got a KB hooked up?" then he's ok.

However, if the PSO CD says, "Ok gamecube hardware, im looking for keyboard controller serial number 582AGH25P-29 in your port, you have that?" Then he is screwed.

I think he'll be alright though, since sega mentioned numerous 3rd party keyboards eventually coming out, so chances are it will be looking for something other then a standard device and poll the ports for the hardware.

Anyhoo...I found this article on a site called http://www.teamkatana.com:

Sega no longer produces peripherals and is not planning on distributing the keyboard in the U.S. ourselves. However, we are working with thrid-parties and doing everything we can to make sure that a keyboard will be available in U.S. when the game launches in the U.S. this fall.

For all the fans that were worried they'd have to converse with companions across the world by tediously forming sentences with the GameCube controller, this should come as very good news. Hopefully Sega will make its official plans known very soon, especially since many have already pre-ordered the title.

Now, we just have to put our collective trust in Sega, and hope they got a 3rd party to shove one out at launch. Mad Catz? Hello?

Ness
Oct 23, 2002, 05:58 AM
I heard that there will be several keyboards to chose from at PSOW's launch.

Wewt
Oct 23, 2002, 07:23 AM
On 2002-10-23 03:58, Ness wrote:

...The hell?

ABDUR101
Oct 23, 2002, 01:47 PM
On 2002-10-23 05:23, WWWWWWWWWWWW wrote:
...The hell?

He means PSO, obviously. Alot of people who visit the site tend to add the W to the end. XD

Even if this keyboard technique doesn't work, you're only out $45. Besides, it's worth a try. Good luck with it when you try it.

Cube
Oct 23, 2002, 01:49 PM
Ness: Well tell that little bird that told you to shove it, and he's an idiot. And probably a RAmar at that!

Ian D
Oct 23, 2002, 02:56 PM
On 2002-10-23 11:49, Cube wrote:
...And probably a RAmar at that!

That's going too far. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_argh.gif

Barubary6
Oct 23, 2002, 06:34 PM
On 2002-10-22 23:39, Etrigan wrote:
[Keyboard]==USB:maleA-->[FemaleA-USB:genderchanger-FemaleA]<--USB:maleA===[USB-PSX converter]====(PSX extension cable)====[PSX-GC converter]===[Gamecube]

This won't work because the PSX-GC converter is only designed to handle the communication protocol for Dual Shock 2's, not a keyboard.

-- Barubary

Shrevn
Oct 23, 2002, 08:53 PM
I understand that "they say" there will be a KB out by the release of pso... now this is just a theory not well tought off... but how about... if by that they mean HOLDIN BACK PSO AND RELEASING IT WHEN A KB IS OUT!?!?!?!?!.... i mean what piece/game/accesory/system has come out and nobody knew about... when the release date was... the game is coming out on WEDs and its less then a week away now... shouldnt they tell us their "PLANS" by now?
or they like to keep us in suspence...

OmegaofTime
Oct 24, 2002, 04:44 AM
Forget about the eletronics and stuff, here's some info from Planet Gamecube

"Speaking of typing, I did ask about the ASCII Keyboard Controller while I was there. The representative told me that it would be coming to North America, but that no date has been confirmed at this time. However, even without the keyboard controller, there are simpler ways to communicate. PSO is filled with greetings, warnings, and other phrases that you can select quickly to talk with your team. It may take time to learn how to navigate the menu system quickly, but using pre-set phrases allows you to speak quickly to your teammates and even cross language barriers so that you can play with Japanese and eventually European gamers."

http://planetgamecube.com/impressions.cfm?action=profile&id=513

Also, ASCII's North America based company is under the name AGETEC. Knowing Agetec, the pricing should be pretty reasonable.

Wewt
Oct 24, 2002, 08:54 AM
On 2002-10-23 11:47, ABDUR101 wrote:

On 2002-10-23 05:23, WWWWWWWWWWWW wrote:
...The hell?

He means PSO, obviously. Alot of people who visit the site tend to add the W to the end. XD

Yeah, I know. I was bored, wanted to poke some fun.

X-thirteen
Oct 24, 2002, 11:54 PM
On 2002-10-23 03:58, Ness wrote:

you get this information from where?

back up your 'information' with proof.

Alena Zouryx
Oct 26, 2002, 07:48 PM
Well I don't know about you guys, but I don't want to waste anymore time then necessary to start playing PSO GC to its full extenet, so I'm just gonna buy the GameCube keyboard when it arrives, no matter how much the cost. Any true hardcore PSO fan would agree - getting online with a Hunter's Liscence and a Keyboard ASAP is alot more important then wasting time converting a normal one to work with the GC.

charr
Oct 28, 2002, 02:32 PM
At this point *any* keyboard seems ideal. But I can't find anywhere online to import them. I'd love to know if anyone has made a Dreamcast or PC keyboard work.

*goes off to order bba adapter overnight*

Spy
Oct 28, 2002, 02:42 PM
And to think. People were calling me crazy two weeks ago.

charr
Oct 28, 2002, 03:37 PM
I don't think you're crazy. I read your posts about your imported keyboard last week.

Of course I wasn't here two weeks ago to call you crazy...

Spy
Oct 28, 2002, 11:45 PM
On 2002-10-28 12:37, charr wrote:
I don't think you're crazy. I read your posts about your imported keyboard last week.

Of course I wasn't here two weeks ago to call you crazy...

Washingtonians all the way!

*high fives*

charr
Oct 29, 2002, 12:45 PM
Washingtonians all the way!

*high fives*

Right on Spy! *high fives* Hope to see you online!