PDA

View Full Version : PC: Help picking a laptop.

kingbuzzo
Jul 2, 2006, 08:25 PM
I'm in the market for a laptop that will run PSU decently well. Only other thing I want is for it to run suse linux 10.1 just as well.

So here's what I've found from a local seller

Acer Aspire 1640

1.7 GHz, Pentium M Centrino
512MB DDR2, new memory technology
128mb Xpress video Intel(shared)

I know this reaches the "requirements" set by sega, but general opinion is that it'll take one beastly video card to get the desired results. So my question is, should I be looking for something with a better videocard, or even more cpu as well?

thanks,

King,

Saner
Jul 2, 2006, 08:35 PM
I dunno about computers but maybe if you double everything compared to the recommended system requirements, you should run it really well! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

but ya, not sure if there are specific video cards it doesn't support or don't work as well as other videos cards or whatever.

very complex stuff. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/cone.gif

Marter
Jul 2, 2006, 09:08 PM
No, it is not very good.
For me, PSU should be played on a PC. I have a game that is NOT EVEN close to PSU'S graphic, and it LAGS HORRIBLY. The laptop overheats... Makes some smokey thing (Yes, it nearly set out the fire alarm)...

For me, If you are going to use a laptop for PSU, I recommend these...

Processer
Intel® Core® T2500 Duo Processor (2GHz/667MHz FSB)

Operating System
Windows XP or above. (Try not to use 64bit.)

Ram
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms)

Hard Drive
120GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive (Just me...)

Graphic Card
256MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1800 (The only one I know of...)

Sound
Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy™ HD Software Edition (PSU has alot of sound or so I hear)

Try to use wired high speed and use a fan to cool you Laptop. (When I play some of my games, I take a fan around to cool of the geat ehat spill of the Laptop.)

kingbuzzo
Jul 2, 2006, 09:17 PM
yikes, you really think so?

I definately agree that psu should be played on a pc.

but that's gotta cost around 2,000 bones easily. Maybe I'll have to stick to the ps2 version.

thanks,

King.

VioletSkye
Jul 2, 2006, 09:23 PM
Honestly until the final release version of PSU arrives it's hard to say how well the recommended specs will play PSU. And something you have to realize when it comes to specs is that not all hardware is created equal. When it says 1.6GHz processor or higher, you have to realize that there is a significant performance difference between say a 1.6GHz Celeron processor and a 1.6GHz P4 or even a 1.6GHz AMD XP. A Celeron 1.6GHzwill have half the L2 cache that a 1.6GHz P4 has (128KB vs. 256KB and the more modern Northwood cores have 512KB.) A Celeron falls woefully behind in benchmarks and gaming performance. Same situation applies to RAM.

In this particular case the Pentium M is an awesome cpu (and runs very cool) and even works great in non gaming desktop machines. It should have no issues with PSU. As for RAM, SEGA lists 256MB as the minimum (and honestly that seems kinda low to me, especially if you want to have even a somewhat descent gaming experience.) 512MB would probably be ok, but remember that with an integrated graphics chipset, it can use a good portion of your system memory and dedicate it for video memory which can knock your available system RAM down by 64MB-256MB. If your system uses 128MB for video, your 512MB system RAM ends up being 384MB of available system RAM. Also realize that dedicated video RAM (VRAM) is different from system RAM, meaning integrated video using say 128MB still won't run nearly as well a dedicated viceocard with 128MB of VRAM (Video RAM) not to mention the lack of a GPU to handle those calculations instead of bogging down the CPU with them. Unlike system RAM, VRAM is able to be called upon by more than one device simultaneously (namely the GPU and CPU) whereas system RAM can't.

Your Acer uses the Intel 915GM chipset which isn't exactly the best for gaming, but may be ok for older, less 3D intensive games. Here is a list of compatible games using that chipset which may help you get a better understanding of what to expect:
http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/intel915gm/sb/CS-020153.htm

Keep in kind that although the games are compatible, that doesn't mean they play at a repesctable framerate, resolution or setting (which is pretty relative.)

Blitzkommando
Jul 2, 2006, 09:38 PM
That's the thing. Gaming laptops are not in big demand and thus cost a huge sum more than an equivilant desktop. Running similar specs on a desktop (Under Marter's stats) could easily cost under $1000 and if you work at it, possibly even $800. Monitor might make it hit as high as $1200.

Intel integrated video is bad for a number of reasons. First, it takes away that value from the installed RAM which really, really hurts running on just 512MB. Second, it lags far behind technologically from dedicated graphics. Third, it puts a rather hefty load on the processor that just wouldn't exist under a dedicated graphics unit. Really, integrated is best suited for videos and basic computing as even basic 3D programs can be dramatically hampered under it.

Both ATI and nVidia provide very nice mobility lines of cards. The GeForce Go series for nVidia and the Mobility Radeon line from ATI. To run things at native resolution for the laptop and smoothly I would say that anything over the Mobility X1600 or GeForce Go 7600 should do fine. You might be able to run it with the Mobility X1300 or Go 7300/7400 but the experience just wouldn't even equal what the PS2 has to offer.

For RAM, I again strongly agree about using 1024MB (1GB) minimum. Windows XP after all is said and done often is seen taking up between 350-450MB in the physical memory under no load. Performance-wise you will notice a huge difference after upping to 1GB over 512MB. I remember when I bought a second 512MB stick for my old machine and dual-channel kicked in and it was like night and day.

Sound is important, yes. And it is true that an audio card would give better performance by processing the sound instead of having the processor do that. However, graphics, memory, and processor are far more important and give much larger boosts. If it came to worst you could even purchase a USB soundcard although you will get a bit of popping and whatnot, but it shouldn't be very noticable if noticable at all.

Finally, the Pentium M is a very good processor architecture. As a matter of fact it is part of the basis for the new Core 2 Duo coming out the end of this month for desktops. At 1.7 GHz it sounds like one of the mid-range Centrinos but for PSU and whatnot it should work fine. You might, like said, want to look into the price for a similar system to the stats I roughly configured with a Core Duo or Core Solo but keep in mind you will lose 64-bit capability for the future. You could also look into the Turion series of laptop processors by AMD. Really, I don't see so many problems developing here as I do from the graphics and RAM.

Hopefully you can find a laptop that will work for gaming without spending a huge sum of money. While gaming still isn't too big for mainstream laptops, it is growing in number due to the growing numbers of people who go to LAN parties and like the mobility provided with a laptop.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Norvekh on 2006-07-02 19:40 ]</font>

kingbuzzo
Jul 2, 2006, 10:19 PM
So it seems it might make more sense to get a lower grade laptop, and build a higher end desktop pc.

Here's another one I've been looking at. It's another shared memory deal, but maybe with enough ram the puppy will sing.

http://vancouver.craigslist.org/sys/177426552.html

Toshiba A70-ML1 $919

Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 532 supporting Hyper-Threading Technology (3.06 GHz 533MHz FSB, L1 Cache 12KB/8KB, L2 Cache 1MB)

Memory Slots / Max: 1 RAM slot, unoccupied; can be filled with 128MB, 256MB, 512MB or 1GB PC2700 DDR SODIMM (1536MB Max = 512MB onboard x 1 + 1024MB x 1)
Video: ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON™ 9000 IGP with 64MB DDR shared video memory
Video RAM: 64MB default (configurable to 32MB, 64MB (default), or 128MB (when system memory is expanded above 1,024MB)

perhaps this would be a better option

Edit: 1 more to consider.

Dell Latitude D610
1.86GHz Pentium M, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD, DVD+/-RW, Intel
2200b/g Wireless
ATI Mobility Radeon X300 w/ 64MB dedicated RAM

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kingbuzzo on 2006-07-02 20:20 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kingbuzzo on 2006-07-02 21:05 ]</font>

Jehosaphaty
Jul 2, 2006, 11:22 PM
I've actually just ordered a laptop, with some great input from violetskye I might add, that I'm stoked about getting. I think it was 1650 bucks before the rebates and deals took the price down to near 1400. I dunno how much you're lookin at spending, but here's the Dell I went with:

Inspiron E1705, Intel Core DuoProcessor T2300E (1.66GHz/667MHz FSB)
17 inch Wide-screen WXGA+ Display for Inspiron 9400/E 1705
1GB, DDR2, 533MHz 2 Dimm, for Inspiron 9400/E1705
256MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON X 1400 HyperMemory, for Inspiron9400/E1705
100GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive for Inspiron 9400/E1705
Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005, English without Media, for Inspiron
DELL SUPPORT 3.0
Windows Media Player 10
Integrated 10/100 Network Cardand Modem, for Inspiron
Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.0, for Inspiron
8X DVD+/-RW Drive, for Inspiron 9400/E1705
CyberLink PowerDVD v5.7 Decoding Sofware for DVD Drives
Integrated High Definition Audio, for XPS M1710
Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 802.11a/g Mini Card (54Mbps) for Inspiron 9400/E1705
Dell Wireless 350 Bluetooth Module (2.0+EDR), for Inspiron9400/E1705
Network Associates McAfee 7.0,English,90-day Trial
Primary Battery, for Inspiron 9400/E1705

I'll probably go ahead and update my sound later, but this is all the cash I felt like shellin out. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jehosaphaty on 2006-07-02 21:23 ]</font>

Marter
Jul 3, 2006, 03:14 PM
On 2006-07-02 20:19, kingbuzzo wrote:
So it seems it might make more sense to get a lower grade laptop, and build a higher end desktop pc.

Here's another one I've been looking at. It's another shared memory deal, but maybe with enough ram the puppy will sing.

http://vancouver.craigslist.org/sys/177426552.html

Toshiba A70-ML1 $919

Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 532 supporting Hyper-Threading Technology (3.06 GHz 533MHz FSB, L1 Cache 12KB/8KB, L2 Cache 1MB)

Memory Slots / Max: 1 RAM slot, unoccupied; can be filled with 128MB, 256MB, 512MB or 1GB PC2700 DDR SODIMM (1536MB Max = 512MB onboard x 1 + 1024MB x 1)
Video: ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON™ 9000 IGP with 64MB DDR shared video memory
Video RAM: 64MB default (configurable to 32MB, 64MB (default), or 128MB (when system memory is expanded above 1,024MB)

perhaps this would be a better option

Edit: 1 more to consider.

Dell Latitude D610
1.86GHz Pentium M, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD, DVD+/-RW, Intel
2200b/g Wireless
ATI Mobility Radeon X300 w/ 64MB dedicated RAM

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kingbuzzo on 2006-07-02 20:20 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kingbuzzo on 2006-07-02 21:05 ]</font>

It might work, but then with PSU's High End Grahpics, you will be needeing a much more powerful Grahpic Card. 128 is not much for a Gaming Laptop. With my specs, I can get it for 1,520 dollars with a Laptop (But, you have to build it by yourself!)

But with a PC, I can lower the cost to 1,420. (Not much of a Difrence, but the PC has a 19 in screen.)

Try getting a PC instead. It is much cheaper. But if you you REALLY WANT A GAMING LAPTOP, you have to pay more. (And it usally crashes in hot temps..)

VioletSkye
Jul 3, 2006, 04:53 PM
Heh, I wouldn't call PSU's graphics "high end" by any means. It does look great though. I really don't think you are going to find a laptop under $1200-$1300 that will run PSU descently.

Marter
Jul 3, 2006, 11:16 PM
On 2006-07-03 14:53, VioletSkye wrote:
Heh, I wouldn't call PSU's graphics "high end" by any means. It does look great though. I really don't think you are going to find a laptop under $1200-$1300 that will run PSU descently.

Well compared to PSO on GC, Counter Strike, and AOM...
I have a refurbished laptop that can run PSU for 100 dollars, so I think you might be able to get a old one that can run PSU for 1,000 dollars.

VioletSkye
Jul 3, 2006, 11:43 PM
Yeah, you could probably find a refurbished system that would run PSU for around $1000 or possibly less, but you'd want to make sure you have a clear understanding of what your warranty would be, and definitely go with a reputable retailer.

Saraphim
Jul 4, 2006, 06:43 PM
It should be noted that a laptop that meets the specs doen't mean it will play good online, as your network will help determine that. I used to play Blue Burst on my laptop (on Low end) but could only do so while I had a hard line connection. It wouldn't even connect to the Gamegaurd server using my wireless router.

I bought a desktop that let me play it on Normal with Advanced effects turned on (only problem was Ep2 CCA). My router and firewall were configured correctly, it was just that there was too much signal degredation which is odd since PSO requires a small amount of bandwidth.

I have since upgraded my wireless network, but I have no idea if it will play as I don't play PSOBB anymore.

Luis
Jul 12, 2006, 11:38 AM
The is one good value laptop at the webpage http://www.compaq.com , the model v3000 series got allready a Turion ML-52 processor with serial ata hard drive and a g-force go 6150, thats not a high end video card but its a good dual core laptop, customize it, it will cost less than 1200$, but for sure it will run PSU, if you want a good laptop and you got the money for it just wait until the Ferrari 5000 appears (thats what i am going to get), but if i go for value i go for the compaq V3000Z, it have the intel option but the last time i used intel was like 7 years ago when i meet AMD =P

HUnewearl_Meira
Jul 12, 2006, 02:52 PM
Kingbuzzo, I'd just like to point out, that assuming you are posting here from your household computer, then chances are you can buy the parts to upgrade it to a rather high-end system for under $800. I, personally, went from Pentium II 400Mhz, 256MB RAM, 64MB VRAM to Pentium IV 3.2Ghz, 1GB RAM, 256MB VRAM for just about $800. I replaced the motherboard, RAM, case and processor in 2004 for about $450, and replaced the video card in February for about $300. Guaranteed, it's cheaper than any laptop you're going to get that'll run PSU.