PDA

View Full Version : someone just stole my E-mail

Skuda
Jul 6, 2006, 11:36 PM
edit: E-mail recovered

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skuda on 2006-07-07 00:36 ]</font>

EJ
Jul 6, 2006, 11:37 PM
Do you have your password saved on your computer?

If so maybe it could be your roomate?

Try to think if anyone beside yourself know any of your passwords.

Maridia
Jul 6, 2006, 11:39 PM
Aww, hon. I'm so sorry that happened. :/ There are a lot of dicks out there.

And I don't know how someone jacks a photobucket account. Maybe the PB people were just being dicks. Anyway..

Does anyone know someplace he could email to ask them to shut down the account? Or to get control of it back? There has to be something that can be done, this is ridiculous. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

*pats Kuda* Hang in there.

EJ
Jul 6, 2006, 11:42 PM
The only thing I would say is get in contact with the hotmail people to delete your hotmail account.

Skuda
Jul 6, 2006, 11:48 PM
I have no idea what the hell happened, but I can get on again.

if it was anyone around here (just saying), don't do it again >:(

or I'll be on you like hot cheese sauce on nachos

EJ
Jul 6, 2006, 11:53 PM
you sure you didn't typo your pass?

Skuda
Jul 7, 2006, 12:06 AM
it was saved on my computer ._.

EJ
Jul 7, 2006, 12:15 AM
ok never mind >.>

VioletSkye
Jul 7, 2006, 12:29 AM
More than likely it was a freezer program which allows someone to lock you out of your hotmail account. It's pretty easy to use and that makes it easy to mess with people's hotmail and MSN accounts.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-07-06 22:31 ]</font>

Corey
Jul 7, 2006, 12:46 AM
^ That is more then likely. You don't even need a program to do it actually, lol.

Anyway, the usual freeze is around 20-30 minutes.
Haven't seen em go any longer, unless the method can be spammed for a longer effect...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Corey on 2006-07-06 22:47 ]</font>

VioletSkye
Jul 7, 2006, 12:53 AM
The program just spams it over and over until you select Defreeze lol. I remember testing one awhile back and it kept me out of my test account for over 48 hours until I turned it off, and then I could access my account immediately after http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-07-06 22:54 ]</font>

Skuda
Jul 7, 2006, 01:39 AM
I was talking to a fellow from school, and it seems the same thing happened to him, except the person who got on his account was sending inappropriate messages of MSN. :/

MsXiou
Jul 7, 2006, 01:57 AM
Well, it may be late but if you have file sharing programs like Limewire, Bearsahre, etc., your passwords are files which can be downloaded... it's fairly easy to find a serial/password by just searching it >.>

VioletSkye
Jul 7, 2006, 03:13 PM
On 2006-07-06 23:57, MsXiou wrote:
Well, it may be late but if you have file sharing programs like Limewire, Bearsahre, etc., your passwords are files which can be downloaded... it's fairly easy to find a serial/password by just searching it >.>

Doubtful. If he uses Firefox and stores his password with that, it is stored (in encrypted form) in the formhistory.dat file. If it is stored in IE then it's found in the registry (which is where MSN messenger stores that info also) and it is also encrypted. File sharing programs (by default) won't have the Mozilla directory shared and you can't do a search for registry items with a p2p program.

If someone did actually get into his email, then they either figured out/guessed his password or used a brute force attack. Other possible scenarios include a trojan with a RAS password lookup feature or a keylogger.

It's true that sometimes you can find private info using p2p programs (try searching for .eml files http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif ) but it's HIGHLY doubtful they got his hotmail account password from it unless he had that info stored in a text file somewhere on his machine that they got access to.)