PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP ICS(Internet connection Sharing) with PSO

sparktenks
Oct 24, 2002, 04:26 PM
I thought I would make this topic for other people who might be asking if this will work as well.

Do you think this will work.

I have DSL(PPPoE) but my DSL modem does not have a ethernet port on it,(internal DSL modem.) I have an ether netcard in my computer hooked up to a switch(hub) and have Windows XP ICS(internet connection sharing) turned on. I do have other computers hooking to the network able to get onto the net with that setup. I'm not sure if that will work with the GC. Does WinXP ICS use DHCP? If so will that work?

CorneliusPower
Oct 28, 2002, 02:36 AM
Sounds like you will be in need of a switch, router or hub, the cheapest way to go is a hub, with your current ISP, an additional $5.00 IP address is necessary because you will have to split the connection from your PC and Gamecube. Go to any Best Buy and they will help you, that's what I did.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CorneliusPower on 2002-10-27 23:37 ]</font>

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
Oct 28, 2002, 03:37 PM
Actually ICS is more like using a router than a hub. Windows XP ICS has DHCP, and I think it can't even be disabled =3. Try setting the gamecube to Autodetect all settings.

If things don't work, you might have to manually set an IP for the gamecube in the 192.168.0.XXX range and set up a few UDP ports. To avoid this crap, maybe turn off any firewall garbage.

sparktenks
Oct 31, 2002, 12:49 AM
BTW just in case anyones curious. This method works,.

Vandal
Oct 31, 2002, 01:42 AM
Ok, my linksys router won't recognize my gamecube bba, and now after I put a 2nd network card in my comp running winxp and connected it to my GC it just says network cable disconnected http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif How did you guys ever get this working?

rbf2000
Oct 31, 2002, 01:44 AM
Well, if you do it through your PC, it will say a network cable is unplugged when your gamecube is off. Also, make sure you have the correct wire. You need the cross-wired type of cat5.

Vandal
Oct 31, 2002, 01:48 AM
It was saying my cable was disconnected while the GC was on, but maybe thats cause of the wire like you said. I'm trying to switch wires now, but do I have to have a cross wire from my cable modem to my Router?

Vandal
Oct 31, 2002, 01:50 AM
Dang it, switching wires and rebooting the GC didn't work.

rbf2000
Oct 31, 2002, 01:52 AM
On 2002-10-30 22:48, Vandal wrote:
It was saying my cable was disconnected while the GC was on, but maybe thats cause of the wire like you said. I'm trying to switch wires now, but do I have to have a cross wire from my cable modem to my Router?

Only use the cross wire if you are plugging your gamecube into a second ethernet card in your PC and using ICS.

Use standard patch cat5 cable for a router.

So you would have the cat5 from the router into NIC 1, then cross wire from NIC 2 to GC. Although, if you have a router, it would be easiest just to plug the cube into the router using a standard cat5 cable...

keeper7keys
Oct 31, 2002, 05:23 PM
Thanks Spy....that actually solved 80% of my problem but noe I have another problem. OK I am using my computer to bridge with AT&T with windows XP. I was able to get on and get my hunters lic. so I know it works, but when I go into the online game and the screen starts for the connection,the network card hooked to the BBA becomes disconnected for a second and then I get the error Failed to recieve IP address from DNCP. Anyone know a solution to this, I find it wierd that I was able to get into the hunters lic. site but can't get into the game.

Thanks
Marty

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: keeper7keys on 2002-10-31 14:24 ]</font>