PDA

View Full Version : Why do so many people use the modem?

Barubary6
Oct 24, 2002, 09:06 PM
Why do so many people with connections like cable modem use the modem instead of the ethernet adaptor for Gamecube? I don't understand why you would use a modem and put up with the slowness and the extra ISP fees when you can not pay anything extra and use the ethernet adaptor.

On Dreamcast, it made sense because the ethernet adaptor was so hard to get, much more expensive, and because PPPOE wasn't supported. But these excuses aren't valid anymore. The GC ethernet adaptor is easy to find, and is the same price as the modem (I think). PPPOE is supported in version 3.

The other main reason people use the modem is because they don't want to lose internet on their computer while playing PSO. I guess this is because they don't know how to set up Internet Connection Sharing, which is really easy.

I'd like to hear your reasons why you're using a modem.

-- Barubary

Etrigan
Oct 24, 2002, 09:21 PM
I AM using a BBA, but I'm very apprehensive about it. I know absolutely nothing about router ports and my router has a built in firewall that has blocked all my past attempts to play online games...

Daybringer
Oct 24, 2002, 09:27 PM
because they do not have a broadband internet service.

SkyHawkX
Oct 24, 2002, 09:35 PM
Nothing is actually stopping me really. I just need some confirmation that the BBA works on my modded 'Cube and JP PSO. Other than that I just need a ride to the store.

Rhete
Oct 24, 2002, 09:38 PM
On 2002-10-24 19:27, Daybringer wrote:
because they do not have a broadband internet service.

Actually this topic is about people who DO have broadband, but get an extra phone ISP for PSO. I had to re-read it before I noticed this though

I only have phone modem though, so no BBA for me

Edit: I heard the Japanese BBA had a ton of problems for with DSL, constanct disconnection, freezing up, loss of items, not very pretty. So theres a reason to get the modem, it works

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rhete on 2002-10-24 19:41 ]</font>

Parn
Oct 24, 2002, 09:44 PM
The problem has to do with PPPOE DSL users. The solution is to have a router handle login details, rather than have the 'cube login to the ISP. It's better that way anyways, since you can use the PC and the GameCube at the same time.

_xX_Frosty_Xx_
Oct 24, 2002, 09:51 PM
Take into consideration not everyone can afford broadband......

Barubary6
Oct 24, 2002, 09:51 PM
On 2002-10-24 19:44, Parn wrote:
The problem has to do with PPPOE DSL users. The solution is to have a router handle login details, rather than have the 'cube login to the ISP. It's better that way anyways, since you can use the PC and the GameCube at the same time.

Version 3 supports PPPOE though...

-- Barubary

Barubary6
Oct 24, 2002, 09:58 PM
On 2002-10-24 19:38, Rhete wrote:
Edit: I heard the Japanese BBA had a ton of problems for with DSL, constanct disconnection, freezing up, loss of items, not very pretty. So theres a reason to get the modem, it works

Well, most users aren't PPPOE users. Ethernet works perfectly fine. Also, those are software bugs - they'll probably be fixed in the American v3.

-- Barubary

Hikaryuu
Oct 24, 2002, 10:13 PM
On 2002-10-24 19:51, _xX_Frosty_Xx_ wrote:
Take into consideration not everyone can afford broadband......

I just can't help but point this out, but they already said, and corrected once, that this is about people who have broadband and use a normal modem connection for thier vid game system.

Lileya
Oct 24, 2002, 11:07 PM
It's me or some people just can't read properly...

Cube
Oct 25, 2002, 07:33 AM
I'd get the BBA adapter if DSL was in my area... it's like this >--------------------< far from my house. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

I think most people that have BB use the BBA modem.

Rubesahl
Oct 25, 2002, 11:32 AM
^_^ Funny thing, I know what you mean Barubary but I can tell you a lot of people did wait for the BBA. If you want just ask in Ragol.com forums. Anyway, I imported Episode 1 & 2 and got it one week after it's release with a modded GC. I decided to wait for the BBA since buying a 56k modem to only use it for less than a month and then buy the BBAwas expensive. If I did choose the 56k modem, I would've had my ISP's complementary free 56k service for backup from my ADSL connection.

I got the BBA and let me tell you... it rocks! XD Set up was soooooooooooooooo easy! With the help of Ah King's guide and a bit of common sense, I setted up my Network Options file real fast. I setted it up like this:

>> PC has 2 NICs (Network Interface Cards, a.k.a the thing you put ion your PC so it has ethernet slots ^_^; ) One of them is connected to the modem and the other to my ethernet switch. I then connect my GC (and anything else there pretty much that I want to use my DSL connection) to the switch and set up the BBA to recognize the IP address automatically and left the DNS servers as they were (0.0.0.0) I then finished setup, got my 30 day trial HL and got online fast and easy. I now enjoy playing lag free games with other people that have BB and when I host the game, people who have 56k join relatively fast and they recognize that the game is much smoother for them and there's rarely lag. When someone with BB joins, it's like 0 seconds of the pause and the game is super smooth.

If you guys have any questions then please ask away. Also, it seems that the problems occur with ADSL connections. IN which you input a username and password. But this is easily solved if you use something like a router, hub, switch ^__^ like my setup. My GC is a US modded GC and I imported the BBA and it WORKED ok? ^__- Now I hope I cleared some things up here by showing FACTS. Don't believe me? Here's a pic of me online!

http://tails04.sonicteam.com/visualbbs/html/200210/9473.html

Oh! one thing! There seem to be more FSODs than in DC =/ 56k users have these more often than BBA users. I've had 5. You usually lose your unequipped items but at least these errors are far appart from each other.

Ja ne!

Dangerous55
Oct 25, 2002, 02:49 PM
Actually, 56k runs PSO perfectly fine. I never experienced slowness with DC vers.

Shrevn
Oct 25, 2002, 09:58 PM
I used 56k back in the dc days and like 55 said there was no or lil lag in pso! Now i have dsl and thats the reason i got the broadband addapter, i hope it works correctly since like the dude that made this topic I also dont know S*** about hubs and routers and connections...

DeathCheese87
Oct 25, 2002, 10:23 PM
i was sick of asking my parents if i could tie up the phone line for v1 and 2. so i got the BBA. i had broadband while on the DC vers. but i had trouble finding a BBA for the DC.

i agree, getting a modem when you have BB is pretty stupid.

_xX_Frosty_Xx_
Oct 25, 2002, 10:44 PM
On 2002-10-24 21:07, Mrs_Rohrbach wrote:
It's me or some people just can't read properly...

No, actually I can ready quite well with a 12th grade reading profeciency. Don't worry....it's you.

Most likely because of the FSODs and Disconnects I've been hearing about. They say a large part of it has to do with BBA, so people use the modem instead in fear of losing their characters and items.

Rubesahl
Oct 27, 2002, 02:46 PM
I agree that PSO with 56k runs really good but the thing is that there's a distinct difference from PSO in 56k and PSO with BB. "Item Lag". In 56k the item picking is relatively slow compared to BB. In BB this is greatly improved and it takes 1-2 seconds. While in 56k it'd take me sometimes 15 seconds to pick up a damn item lol.

RedFox
Oct 27, 2002, 03:16 PM
heh... us UK/EU players had to use the 36k modem. now that WAS slow.

geewj
Oct 27, 2002, 03:31 PM
PSO and BBA don't have the best history together. At the begining of GC PSO the BBA users kept getting disconnected or fsod like every hour, so it seemd like not much had changed. And most people dont want to take the chance of not being able to go online cause of some little problem with thier BBA. The modem is just a more reliable way to get online.

Bluedeath
Oct 27, 2002, 06:10 PM
I have a question, do u have to have DSl or cable or whatever to use the broadband adapter on GC?

X-thirteen
Oct 28, 2002, 01:39 AM
how would i set up using the bba?
i have no hub or dealies like that...
would i have to just unplug the ethernet cord from pc to console each time?
or is there another way?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: X-thirteen on 2002-10-27 22:40 ]</font>

rbf2000
Oct 28, 2002, 02:13 AM
Guys, all of these types of questions would be better answered in the tech support (http://www.pso-world.com/viewforum.php?forum=3&4647) section.

CorneliusPower
Oct 29, 2002, 06:13 AM
Really a 56K connection is still a good way to go with this type of game. I myself have the ability to utilize high-speed with my BBA Gamecube. Some ppl really cant afford to dish out the extra cash for a broadband service let alone own a PC. I consider myself pretty well off that I own a nice PC and cable internet with it. Broadband is definetly better and is the way to go....but 56k isnt all that bad niether, just a lot slower. Lol. Peace.

Reaps2002
Oct 30, 2002, 11:37 AM
Eh, you're right about the whole wanna have PSO hooked up and a computer at the same time or sumthin...but one question, what kinda geek is gonna play PSO AND surf around on their lil computer? I mean, make a choice or sumthin.

lol And that one dude is right about the DSL services not bein in his area. I live in the boonies and i cant get it. I cant really afford the charges for it but i couldnt get it even if i wanted the damn thing http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

ABDUR101
Oct 30, 2002, 01:55 PM
On 2002-10-30 08:37, Reaps2002 wrote:
Eh, you're right about the whole wanna have PSO hooked up and a computer at the same time or sumthin...but one question, what kinda geek is gonna play PSO AND surf around on their lil computer? I mean, make a choice or sumthin.

I multi-task all the time. I write contracts for work, play UO, browse PSOW and chat. Replace playing UO with playing something on the X-box as well.

Besides, some people want to make the most of their connection, so they might be downloading while they play. =X