PDA

View Full Version : Preping for online mode...

MadHatter
Jul 11, 2006, 05:40 AM
A few questions before I take the plunge:

1) Cost. How much is a Hunter's Licence and what is the monthly fee?

2) Connection. I have a 56k modem for my GC, so is that the standard? Are there lag issues?

3) Risk to character. I've heard some horror stories. Items lost, characters corrupted, lots of hard work down the drain. Are the bugs really that common and dangerous?

4) I heard the GC servers are down. This of course is a major determining factor for my decision. Is it even possible to play PSO GC right now?

I know a million people have asked these questions before. I've never seen the answers. Have a little patience for a poor online-mode n00b.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jul 11, 2006, 05:48 AM
Cost: $8.99/month, GC gets one free month, but you have to give up your info first of course, then you're billed(for the upcoming month) after the first month.

Connection: 56k is fine, while Broadband is supported, you're able to play. Loading online quests/rebooting from a disconnect, among other things are slower naturally than a fatter pipe connection.

Risk to character: The bugs are out there, but there are ways to protect yourself. This little guide (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=83644&forum=3&42) is a must read first and foremost, then try to stay out of popular ships if you can. More users = more cheat device users who can mess with your playing.

As for the last one about GC servers, I don't have info if they're back up yet.

Neith
Jul 11, 2006, 05:49 AM
On 2006-07-11 03:40, MadHatter wrote:
A few questions before I take the plunge:

1) Cost. How much is a Hunter's Licence and what is the monthly fee?
5.99GBP, I believe that's around 9USD a month. The Hunters License is free to get, but that IS your monthly fee.

2) Connection. I have a 56k modem for my GC, so is that the standard? Are there lag issues?
56k should work fine, though due to your connection speed, you may get some lag. I can't see it being severe lag though, the game was designed to be playable on 56k.

3) Risk to character. I've heard some horror stories. Items lost, characters corrupted, lots of hard work down the drain. Are the bugs really that common and dangerous?
I've corrupted oh, 4 times so far, but 3 of those times were due to using a cheap third-party memory card. The other time was due to me being disconnected in a boss video.

Yes, the bugs are potentially dangerous, and yes, you can lose all your characters. However, if you're careful with who you play with, you 'should' be fine. Bear in mind corruption happens offline too, not just online.

4) I heard the GC servers are down. This of course is a major determining factor for my decision. Is it even possible to play PSO GC right now?
I don't have an active license on GC at the moment, but I am aware the servers were down because of a power outage.

I know a million people have asked these questions before. I've never seen the answers. Have a little patience for a poor online-mode n00b.
We're all new at some point http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif Just a bit of advice though- if you wish to be legitimate, be very cautious of what people offer you, as there are a LOT of hacked/duped items around. Also, be careful of more populated lobbies, they tended to attract FSOD'ers (people who freeze your game, and can cause you to lose items, or even worse, corrupt).

Lastly, don't give out your Guild Card to someone unless you totally trust them, there are a lot of malicious players on GC. On the flipside, there were also a lot of very courteous players too, it's just luck whether you find them.

MadHatter
Jul 11, 2006, 06:12 AM
About corruption...Is it possible to copy you game data and create a backup file? I know it's borderline duping, but I've put alot of work into Xion and don't want him damaged. I'm also rather paranoid.

Also, thanks for the info. I'll check out that guide you linked to when I have more time.

Dhylec
Jul 11, 2006, 08:28 AM
About corruption...Is it possible to copy you game data and create a backup file? I know it's borderline duping, but I've put alot of work into Xion and don't want him damaged.
It's possible to back-up your character/game data, but the methods can't be found or discussed here.

It's not bordeline duping, in this case, it's cheating/hacking, maybe even illegal.

Corruption can happen, but it's a rare situation, unless you are being targeted. I, as well as many others, have lost my entire set of (high-level)characters due to corruptions. I got upset, whined, then recreated the lost characters & continued. But this time was able to get them in Ult even faster, with hand-me-downs from others characters. No one wanna lose their character/s, forget the entire set, but it happened & life went on.

AlteredHero
Jul 11, 2006, 08:59 AM
If I was you I wouldnt even p[lay it for GC, trade your GC fo an Xbox, buy Live and play it there, its so much better.

leonramar
Jul 11, 2006, 11:12 AM
Just wondering is there any other way to hook up your GC for online other than the Broadband Adapter????

DikkyRay
Jul 11, 2006, 11:19 AM
GC servers are still dowm, and about the malicious chars.
You only need to watch out for 2 people. NOA_BONES or just BONES, and Optimus Prime. There are many other third party fsoders, but mainly those two. You'll know about them if you ask around. Alos, most people now play on jp servers, so if you do go online, dont freak out if theres only a few people on US ships.

Neith
Jul 11, 2006, 12:49 PM
On 2006-07-11 09:12, leonramar wrote:
Just wondering is there any other way to hook up your GC for online other than the Broadband Adapter????

If you have 56k, you'll need a Gamecube Modem. If you're on a higher-speed connection, you need a Broadband Adapter.

leonramar
Jul 11, 2006, 01:16 PM
Interesting. You have my gratitude.

MadHatter
Jul 11, 2006, 02:00 PM
Hmm...

Well, after reading that guide and what you've all posted, I think I understand this a lot bette. There is a risk, but if I play my cards right and watch who i make friends with there won't be many problems. Thanks to everyone for the helpful info, hope to see you online!

PSOPRINCE
Jul 11, 2006, 02:03 PM
what are the safe ships to be on oline, cos i really dont want to be fsoded

merrycherry9
Jul 11, 2006, 03:14 PM
On 2006-07-11 12:03, PSOPRINCE wrote:
what are the safe ships to be on oline, cos i really dont want to be fsoded

There isnt any specific safe ships where no FSODers go. But, like Haya said, go into the ships that have less people because the people that FSOD typically follow wherever there's more people.