PDA

View Full Version : What's better, traps or techs?

bdev03
Jul 11, 2006, 04:11 PM
Hey pplz, just wondering what u thought, i prefer techs, but i never really did much with traps....short attention span...i think the best i ever did with traps was a lvl 5 HUcast...lol

GrumblyStuff
Jul 11, 2006, 04:24 PM
Ooooh. This is kinda tough. I really, really, really, really like Freeze and Confuse traps. Even Damage traps have their uses (slimes, um... groups of Gillchichs and Canabine rings, and well, er, I guess that's all).

Still, Resta. Resta and the various ATP/DEF boosting/lowering techniques have my heart. <3 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

TheyCallMeJoe
Jul 11, 2006, 04:41 PM
I have to agree with Grumbly...although Confuse Traps take the gold for lvling low-lvl chars in Ult (Addicting Food....the enemies will take themselves out for you). Resta abuse is always entertaining http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif I've personally only used a Techforce, and compared to casts, it makes the game so much more engaging. You have to use different abilities and lot more menu-casting as opposed to just swinging away with a sword.

KailAurion
Jul 11, 2006, 04:54 PM
I will have to agree that techniques are superior in my opinion. Where traps you get a supply, you can expand your tech repitoire via DISKS. Androids regenerate by themselves, but Techs are more reliable in terms of benefitting the pary. My vote stays with Techs. Sorry Droids.

Aunt_Betty
Jul 11, 2006, 05:08 PM
Techniques are possibly the best way to go. They have a variety of attacks and they can also support. Also, some of them can be done at a *safe* distance and still do a good amount of damage.

However, Traps are amazing, especialy if you are in a party with low level people and some of them may not be attacking. Traps can be shot and go off at a good time. They also attack other monsters.

Also, its funny to see two boomas attack each other when you place a confuse trap.

GrumblyStuff
Jul 11, 2006, 05:22 PM
On 2006-07-11 15:08, Aunt_Betty wrote:
Also, some of them can be done at a *safe* distance and still do a good amount of damage.
Heh. I like how Foie and Zonde can target and hit enemies so far away, you don't see how much damage they do.

Pure-chan
Jul 11, 2006, 05:32 PM
It's kind of comparing apples and oranges, since traps can't be used against bosses....

That said; I voted traps because - if used correctly by a team of droids - you can pretty much jog through ult TTF without ever having an enemy swing at you. And that is much too entertaining to turn down. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

PSOPRINCE
Jul 12, 2006, 11:49 AM
traps, i have learnt are completely rubbish, there slow and of cource they are usless against bosses, they are however good for battle and challenge

blace
Jul 12, 2006, 11:53 AM
Traps are nothing in comparison to techs although useful traps such as confuse (never use on an Idi Belra by the way) makes them attack their allies. Yet techs can be used without much of a worry being out of a certain tech but are slow.

PSOPRINCE
Jul 12, 2006, 11:56 AM
there is no contest, such a range of techs can traps heal you? i always thought you could uyse a heal trap how wrong i was

Tweengo
Jul 12, 2006, 12:45 PM
Traps would rule if you could use the heal trap. Man, how I wish they'd enabled androids to use heal traps.

Muzuki
Jul 12, 2006, 12:53 PM
techs. tahts all im sayin

PSOPRINCE
Jul 12, 2006, 01:14 PM
can anyone sum up the good and bad pints of traps and techs yep techs good traps bad

GrumblyStuff
Jul 12, 2006, 02:02 PM
PSOPRINCE. Shut up.

Clearly you've never used Freeze traps or Confuse traps.

PSOPRINCE
Jul 12, 2006, 02:22 PM
no i wont shut up, traps are slow, and they regenerate slow, maybe not completely useless in some situations, but thats why you have specials on weopons like blizzard

GrumblyStuff
Jul 12, 2006, 02:58 PM
Freeze trap > Blizzard special

It's great for 'droids in Mines and Ruins. HU droids even more so. Confuse traps are just great because they'll get the enemies to work against each other.

bdev03
Jul 12, 2006, 03:11 PM
i think it might all depend on what ur chars are, u cant really place a vote unless u have both types up there in the high levels. I want to try traps, but i dont want to raise a new char

Pure-chan
Jul 12, 2006, 04:43 PM
On 2006-07-12 09:49, PSOPRINCE wrote:
traps, i have learnt are completely rubbish, there slow and of cource they are usless against bosses, they are however good for battle and challenge

They're slow if you're using a lowbie cast, but trap speed increases greatly as you reach higher levels. The radius of traps extends, too. So does the damage if you're using damage traps.

One nice advantage to using damage traps later in the game is that with the shorter fuse/higher damage, you can time them to stun your enemies while you to prepare your next combo. When soloing, this can actually be pretty handy if you're tackling large mobs in missions like Endless Nightmare. Plus the free 388 damage to groups is always appreciated.

Having spent a bunch of time as both a spell user and a trap user, I think that traps become more valuable in some situations later in the game. This is especially true in parties that organize 4 person mag blast SD, which give absurd amounts of protection and added damage to players. When playing in areas like the Ult Tower, spells do vitually nothing to protect teammates from attcks like Merikle projectiles, or mobs of Ill Gill. Against rooms of extremely strong enemies, having the ability to freeze whole mobs at once with traps can mean the difference between finding that elusive rare and spending 200,000 meseta on Star Atomizers to make your mag love you again.

On 2006-07-12 09:53, blace wrote:
Traps are nothing in comparison to techs although useful traps such as confuse (never use on an Idi Belra by the way) makes them attack their allies. Yet techs can be used without much of a worry being out of a certain tech but are slow.

Why would you not use confusion traps on belra? While confused, belra turn in a circle, stopping to fire at predictable 90 degree intervals. This allows you to circle belra, attacking while they move, then side-step them as they charge to fire. It's the main way I've gotten rid of them in belra heavy areas, like EN4. As an added bonus, the tend to also lay waste to the other underlings, like Del-D at the same time.

Tasty ground belra recipie:

* Confuse belra
* Cut HP with BKB special
* Move out of belra line of fire
* Cut HP with BKB special and/or normal attacks depending on remaining belra HP
* Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes
* Enjoy!

REJ-
Jul 12, 2006, 10:18 PM
I like both, but I prefer techs simply because of resta.

zandra117
Jul 13, 2006, 05:27 PM
Traps are not slow. Use a handgun to trigger them at the right time. If you want to regenerate your traps then pipe back to town and go to the medical center. Traps are good, you just have to know how to use them.

Ailleurs
Jul 13, 2006, 10:24 PM
I'd have to say traps, but it's by a small margin. In the case of Episode 4 I think traps are much more valuable than techs, for soloing at least. I know many people solo PoD with RAmarls but I don't think I could do it very easliy without traps. Freeze traps and Spread Needle take care of any spawns with an astark without much thought and confuse traps allow you to either completely forget about lizards for 15-20 seconds, or to swing away at them without fear of acid breath if you miss. Also in desert, in rooms where several Merissa Spawn at once a freeze trap is a beautiful thing to have. Techs and traps are both valuable, and best if used in combination, but IMO traps slightly edge out techs, for my playing style at least.

Heanix
Jul 16, 2006, 01:32 PM
Techniques of course.

Event though they maybe Cheap & never misses tech are better.

PSOPRINCE
Jul 16, 2006, 01:41 PM
ok traps can be good in some situations for insance as grumbly said in mine and ruins

KratosAurion
Jul 16, 2006, 01:51 PM
I prefer techs when using a force...yeah I'll shut up now...

In all seriousness I like techs better for my HU but I like comfusing enemies and letting them beat on each other so I can get some distance with my RA

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KratosAurion on 2006-07-16 19:06 ]</font>

PSOPRINCE
Jul 16, 2006, 02:04 PM
buts thats why you have specials on weopons

GrumblyStuff
Jul 16, 2006, 08:42 PM
...Which aren't always guarranteed to work nor work over a large area. Confuse traps ALWAYS confuse and do so with nice range just as Freeze Traps ALWAYS freeze and do so with nice range.

bdev03
Jul 16, 2006, 08:44 PM
i just made a HUcast 3 days ago, he is lvl 16 i think....i am really enjoying the new style of playing with traps....its like a whole new game, so much easier to raise a new character again

Forte1224
Jul 16, 2006, 08:49 PM
On 2006-07-16 12:04, PSOPRINCE wrote:
buts thats why you have specials on weopons

Yep. Panic Saber is the way to go.

I prefer techs due to resta and the ease of tech usage but traps are so awesome in their own way. Gotta love watching rappies attack one another.

fayt43
Jul 17, 2006, 07:51 PM
techs hans down you have more varitey and cause stat changes with ra spells

PSOPRINCE
Jul 18, 2006, 10:58 AM
if androids had someway tyo heal themselves it would be good

fayt43
Jul 18, 2006, 11:06 AM
heal trap

PSOPRINCE
Jul 18, 2006, 11:11 AM
yep but there aint one http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Sleet1110
Jul 18, 2006, 11:12 AM
I am a fan of both uses, so this ? took me a while.

bdev03
Jul 18, 2006, 01:17 PM
psoprince, its called a monomate....lol

PSOPRINCE
Jul 18, 2006, 01:20 PM
yeah but they run out real quick with a cast

Adimon
Jul 18, 2006, 01:32 PM
I say techs are better but how cares what I think, all I know is that there is not a techmaster character like there is a Force so IDK but thats what I think

blace
Jul 18, 2006, 01:36 PM
Techs are better than traps in distance and varying strengths from level 1 foie to level 30 rafoie. Traps pretty much remain the same.

PSOPRINCE
Jul 18, 2006, 02:11 PM
yeaha nad you have so few