PDA

View Full Version : New Starters for Pokemon D/P

Saiffy
Jul 17, 2006, 11:11 AM
It was "confirmed" on Pokemons official site, but I lack a link since people at Serebii say that, but never post a link themselves...

Psychic/Dark/Fight.

I'm just gonna quote someone, since he was talking to me, and he posted it at Serebii, and you all probably know who it is http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Maybe those are the SECONDARY types. Why? I just thought of this wicked awesome... thing.

Say, they wanna make original type combos. Grass/Dark (That's the only exception of unoriginal), Fire/Psychic, Water/Fighting

And then I realised, how sick that'd be

Because then, it becomes 2 triangles, and everything's strong AND weak to eachother

Normally, the grass < fire

But since it's part dark, the dark part > psychic

It works ALL THE WAY AROUND

Grass < Fire < Water < Grass
Dark > Psychic > Fighting > Dark

I just thought that'd be freakin sick, if they do that, I love the concept o_o

The concept of all 3 starters being strong and weak to each other is interesting indeed, and I certainly hope they do it.

Now, for now I'll ignore the battle mechanics change I'm sure avid Pokemon fans have read about, since, well, yeah >_>

Discuss.

Skuda
Jul 17, 2006, 11:14 AM
That is an interesting idea. I'd be all for it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I can't wait till D/P to come out.. and am starving for information.

PJ
Jul 17, 2006, 11:18 AM
My idea was shot down faster than I could even believe on the Serebii forums ._.

I was so enthusiastic for my idea, too. I'm gloating big time if they do it.

I'd be all against it if they DON'T have fire/water/grass somewhere, though. a) They've built that tradition for 3 generations of Pokemon, and b) it wouldn't be balanced. Although fighting can hurt psychic, despite being not effective against it, and dark can hurt fighting despite being weak blah blah, psychic CAN NOT hurt dark (I know, other attacks. It's the principal damnit!)

EDIT: If you want a whole slew of new Pokemon news, Serebii.net (http://www.serebii.net/index2.shtml). A possible Roselia evolution (It'd need one), possible Electabuzz evolution, 3 recently revealed new Pokemon (A Posion/Dark pokemon, only 1 weakness!), new battle mechanics, the 2 awesome legendaries (My favourite one was featured in my sig before it was removed for being too awesome http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif) and other such news!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PJ on 2006-07-17 09:27 ]</font>

zwandude15
Jul 17, 2006, 11:46 AM
Wow.

Those legendaries were pretty cool.

Zuenza
Jul 17, 2006, 11:46 AM
Yeah,you have a point there.Without the traditional Grass<Fire<Water<Grass thing,I'd probably be against the other types being the only ones.But don't you also think that it was unfair that:
Combusken<Marshtompx2 super effective types<Grovyle(in which one grass attack can inflict 4x damage on Marshtomp)?Combusken would be the only one that DOES NOT receives 2 bonuses on the other starters.,since he is only one type,and he could be devastated by both types of Marshtomp's attacks,and Marshtomp could be defeated easily by a strong Grass-type attack from Grovyle.Just my opinion though.

Dre_o
Jul 17, 2006, 12:22 PM
Grr...these startings are looking.....well.....I've got good feelings and bad ones.....yet I STILL can't wait for this game *goes into waiting shivers*

PJ
Jul 17, 2006, 02:41 PM
I wanna mention now, the new battle mechanic that Snickerman mentioned.

Basically, from what it sounds like, if your attack touches the opponent, it will go off physical attack. If it's a beam/whatever, it'll be special. This could really screw up some Pokemon, although now the elemental punch Alakazams will suck http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif Of course, now Hyper Beam will be a GOOD move on Alakazam (Well, maybe not good, just not crap). So, for example, from what it sounds like, Overheat will now be based off the physical attack stat, but then if it's ability lowers Special Attack... XD

I'm still deciding if the change is good or not

EDIT: XD I just noticed, the original type combo I mentioned for my ultimate duo triangle is the Fire/Psychic. I COMPLETELY forgot Poliwrath XD

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PJ on 2006-07-17 12:48 ]</font>

Mewn
Jul 17, 2006, 03:07 PM
None of the info given is guaranteed to be a part of the final game. But I like what I hear.

Some traditionalists will de-cry the new starter types but personally the first thing I thought upon seeing the new types is 'dual-types'. I too hope that the system whereby each starter is both strong and weak to another starter is implemented. It would be awesome.

The only problem I have with the starters just being single type Dark/Psychic/Fighting is that Fighting resists Dark, and Psychic resists Fighting. But Dark nullifies Psychic, doesn't seem quite balanced to me. A minor gripe, I'll admit.

I really really hope the new mechanic system is true as well, it will really shake things up a bit (one of my favourite Pokémon, Sneasel... getting an evolution AND the hope that his superior Attack stat will finally be able to take advantage of STABbed attacks is too awesome for words http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif).

I lurk on serebii.net and most of the people who were against the change just seemed to be like 'oh noes my Sceptile is now useless' - geez, at least you will be able to bring them over to D/P and breed them, and who knows what move options some of the Pokémon 'nerfed' by the new system will gain in D/P? I think those against the change should at least give it some time to see how it all works out. It may even work out pretty balanced and make for a metagame with more 'viable' Pokémon. At any rate the purists on Netbattle or in-game can stick to their third gen rules...

I for one am happy that the designers are prepared to innovate and switch things around, even making controversial changes like the starters and the battle mechanics. It all adds up to what will hopefully be a fresh and new experience when the game hits. I can't wait.