PDA

View Full Version : Japanese currency?

Foxix
Jul 18, 2006, 08:56 PM
Ok, I was wondering about Japanese currency. I know that it goes by the thousands but I was curious as to how that relates to the US dollar. I looked up exchange rates but that didn't do much good seeing as 1000 Yen seems to equal $8.50 and I don't know how much something, say a hamburger, costs there. And which exchange rates are better if you live here or their? Like if you work in japan and are visiting the US or vice versa, which is better?

-memoru-
Jul 18, 2006, 09:01 PM
all i know, is that 100 yen is less than a dollar. xD I usually do: "100yen =1.00 - some". XD
My formula rox.

Oh, and i like your siggy, played all 3 of those games, Gitaroo man and Ikaruga when they first came out. ;p They are the fun. ;D

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -memoru- on 2006-07-18 19:02 ]</font>

Foxix
Jul 18, 2006, 09:06 PM
yeah its not finished though. I am hoping for a better one soon, from the guy that did thid one.

I hope he makes it cool http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif anyway I wanted some filler so the middle pic is of a phantom crash box art I found.
wish I could make the sig myself http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

anyway yeah I just don't get how the currency works though. You would think with things costing that much it would lead to a depression http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Dhylec
Jul 18, 2006, 09:44 PM
A quick search..
http://finance.yahoo.com/currency?u

Foxix
Jul 18, 2006, 09:56 PM
actually Dhylec I saw that, I know what the conversion rates are... but what about the pricing of things in japan? errr me and my mother were discussing this earlier actually, she thinks it's better to go from japan to the u.s. but I dont really see how that possible if yen is worth so little unless people on average earn more and things are things are less expensive there. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Foxix on 2006-07-18 19:57 ]</font>

Blitzkommando
Jul 18, 2006, 10:26 PM
Japan has been rather unstable as of recent economically. There are a slew of reasons for this, but it essentially has led the Yen (‰~ or 'en') to lower in value compared to the world market. In other words, right now it is best for Americans and Europeans to go to Japan and not the other way around as things will be 'cheaper' for us.

The cost of living is higher in Japan than the United States on average due to the majority of everything is imported, especially resources like fuels, raw materials, metals, et cetera.

As for the cost of things? Well, like I say, things are more expensive. As a matter of fact Tokyo has been known to be one of the most expensive cities in the world. However, due to the falling value of the Yen it has been surpassed by Moscow and New York, greatly in part also due to the increasing real estate costs of Moscow (increasing is a bit tame, more like skyrocketing).

The average videogame costs somewhere in the ballpark of 4,000‰~ ($34.12)~8,500‰~ ($72.50) (the upper end for special editions). There are budget titles that can be found for 2,500‰~ ($21.33) or less. GameCube titles tend to be around 6,800‰~ ($58.00). So, in other words, games are more expensive by around $9.

The DS Lite is 16,800‰~ or about $143.30.

Japan can be inexpensive to live in, should you adapt to the costs involved with doing so. You won't have prime location or prime restaurants and food, but that isn't to say it wouldn't be good.

For a bit more information on Japan and the cost of living and what would be involved to get a lower cost of living this is a decent site: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2202.html

EDIT: Also, don't be fooled by the lower value of the Yen, it is still considered 'Hard currency'. That is to say, even considering fluctuations today it is still very stable compared to other nations, like say The Democratic Republic of the Congo or Ethiopia. It also is accepted in many countries in exchange and is also considered good for banking, albeit not so much so as the Euro or US Dollar. The other main reason it is considered a hard currency is due to there being a large backing to it, as in Japan has a lot of money and assets that make the currency worth having as an investment. Sometimes a country will have a rather low exchange rate yet have a very stable currency, like pre-Euro Germany, Italy, or even Canada or Australia. While their individual currency is lower in value, the nation has plenty of assets to back it up, thus making it worth it to use that currency in foreign exchange.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Norvekh on 2006-07-18 20:33 ]</font>

-memoru-
Jul 18, 2006, 10:38 PM
i still like my formula better. ;p

BlZ
Jul 18, 2006, 10:46 PM
On 2006-07-18 20:26, Norvekh wrote:
Japan has been rather unstable as of recent economically. There are a slew of reasons for this, but it essentially has led the Yen (‰~ or 'en') to lower in value compared to the world market. In other words, right now it is best for Americans and Europeans to go to Japan and not the other way around as things will be 'cheaper' for us.

The cost of living is higher in Japan than the United States on average due to the majority of everything is imported, especially resources like fuels, raw materials, metals, et cetera.

As for the cost of things? Well, like I say, things are more expensive. As a matter of fact Tokyo has been known to be one of the most expensive cities in the world. However, due to the falling value of the Yen it has been surpassed by Moscow and New York, greatly in part also due to the increasing real estate costs of Moscow (increasing is a bit tame, more like skyrocketing).

The average videogame costs somewhere in the ballpark of 4,000‰~ ($34.12)~8,500‰~ ($72.50) (the upper end for special editions). There are budget titles that can be found for 2,500‰~ ($21.33) or less. GameCube titles tend to be around 6,800‰~ ($58.00). So, in other words, games are more expensive by around $9.

The DS Lite is 16,800‰~ or about $143.30.

Japan can be inexpensive to live in, should you adapt to the costs involved with doing so. You won't have prime location or prime restaurants and food, but that isn't to say it wouldn't be good.

For a bit more information on Japan and the cost of living and what would be involved to get a lower cost of living this is a decent site: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2202.html

EDIT: Also, don't be fooled by the lower value of the Yen, it is still considered 'Hard currency'. That is to say, even considering fluctuations today it is still very stable compared to other nations, like say The Democratic Republic of the Congo or Ethiopia. It also is accepted in many countries in exchange and is also considered good for banking, albeit not so much so as the Euro or US Dollar. The other main reason it is considered a hard currency is due to there being a large backing to it, as in Japan has a lot of money and assets that make the currency worth having as an investment. Sometimes a country will have a rather low exchange rate yet have a very stable currency, like pre-Euro Germany, Italy, or even Canada or Australia. While their individual currency is lower in value, the nation has plenty of assets to back it up, thus making it worth it to use that currency in foreign exchange.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Norvekh on 2006-07-18 20:33 ]</font>

I wanna live in japan when I'm older more now.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BlZ on 2006-07-18 20:46 ]</font>

Foxix
Jul 18, 2006, 11:43 PM
O_O good carp! you are a GOD! Norvekh, that was beautiful, you even put game pricing in there so I would actually understand! I think I am going to check that site out now, thanks a bunch http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

navci
Jul 18, 2006, 11:47 PM
A CD range from 2000- 3000 yen. :>

The interesting thing about Japanese things are that, 10 years ago, a CD is 2000 yen. 10 years later, it still is 2000 yen. So the price of the CD doesn't change. Your salary prolly changes. As with some of the living costs. But a lot of the goods' prices are still what they were 20 years ago. I dunno what that means, it just is interesting to me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: navci on 2006-07-18 21:51 ]</font>

VAL-0251
Jul 22, 2006, 12:26 PM
If things were the way Japan wanted it, 100 yen would be equivellant to 1 dollar.

However, as was mentioned, their economy is a basket case right now, and the yen continues to slip in relation to the dollar. At current exchange rates, 1 dollar is equivellant to about 117 yen.
source (http://www.gocurrency.com/cgi-bin/fxcmcalc?value=1&base=USD&target=JPY&x=42&y=20)

If considering an extended stay in Japan, remember that the Japanese have the most insular naturalization program on the planet. Click here (http://www.debito.org/naturalization.html) for a brief overview (note the 'must display a certain level of cultural assimilation' requirement; they can and will deny an application, which takes 2 years to go through, if they don't like your face). Also remember that the Japanese government has been very explicit about saying that they will stop naturalizations altogether when the foreigner population reaches 3%.

VIRIDIA_HUNTER
Dec 29, 2006, 03:11 PM
I know about 114 yen is equal to a dollar. heh.

opaopajr
Dec 30, 2006, 04:39 AM
for the most part shopping is pretty easy. what prices you generally deal with is generally what japan deals with. but you do have to factor in import costs for things that'd be hard to obtain, and also factor in bonus material in other products which can ramp up the price.

a quick example: buying soft drinks is relatively the same; around $0.80 to $1.50 for a soft drink. purchasing fast food is mostly the same, too; purchasing a meal deal ends up anywhere around $4.00 to $7.00.

you can scrounge pretty well too. you can get cheap food, like onigiri (rice balls, some mixed w/ goodies and a tasty tidbit in the middle) for around $0.80 to $1.50, or some quick, yet freshly made with butter!, pastries and croquettes for roughly the same price.

bento boxes can be anywhere from 7/11 $5 deals to gift wrapped deluxe $20.00 thingamajigs with bells and whistles. same thing applies to other japanese food, such as japanese pizza, okinomiyaki, sushi, etc.

booze and cigarettes are wonderfully cheap on the whole. a good quart of nice vodka can often end up being $3-5 cheaper there. and smokes can be often $2-4 cheaper as well.

CDs are usually $20. sometimes you'll see a few $15 ones, but be careful, you might end up buying a deluxe CD single with posters and other doodads. buying used can get it around $5-15, but you gotta do your homework and scrounge a bit. but considering japanese artist CDs tend to have an outrageous mark-up here, often hovering around $40 per album, this is pretty much a bargain. also, japanese CDs and magazines are by far packaged on a level far superior to america. even niche fan magazines end up on thick, high gloss, crisp color, printing, worth every bit of their often $15-20 asking price. and CDs come with spine cards, often stickers, posters, more liner notes, band pictures, and that ubiquitous plastic envelope for the entire jewel case. so remember, you are often paying for all these little doohickies. you can find them without it, but again, expect some hunting.

it's nowhere as overwhelming as people make it out to be to go visit japan and maintain a budget. but it does require some foresight and planning. i recommend investing in a rail pass on your first few visits, in the end it saves you a pretty penny. even still though, going clear across tokyo can be just a cheap $4-7 -- considering gas even here, and wear and tear on car, and time sitting pissed off in traffic, that's not bad at all. heck just going clear across the inner circle JR line of tokyo roughly hits to just about $2, dirt cheap. besides, i expect most of someone's time will be around that circle. if you wanna ride all over honshu on a bullet train sucking down beer and smoking, like i did, that rail pass will save you beaucoup $. nothing like hitting hiroshima for visiting the peace memorial, lunch at kyoto, and then go dancing around tokyo all in the same day, in comfort, and slightly buzzed -- roughly traversing from san diego, l.a., to san francisco all in a day with time to spare. god i love trains....

Liokia
Jan 11, 2007, 01:39 AM
It has a lot to do with what part of Japan you live in too though... IE Ishibashi (a prefecture in Osaka) is really cheap compared to Umeda (The downtown section of Osaka)... In Ishibashi I can eat for about 250-300 Yen... (Green Tea is usually free) however if you go to Umeda there are more chains and the prices go up pretty drastically... Drink machines are everywhere though and those prices are pretty standard anywhere you go (except the parts with lots of Foreigners like Narita Airport and whatnot) XD... oh... and if your trying to live cheap... stay away from the Mochi... its very addictive o.o.... lol

[considering gas even here, and wear and tear on car, and time sitting pissed off in traffic, that's not bad at all. heck just going clear across the inner circle JR line of tokyo roughly hits to just about $2,] -Opaopajr Do you have a car? o.o....

and also in case your wondering, if your going to take the Shinkansen (Bullet train {side note I hate romanji}) without a JP rail pass (which you need to get BEFORE you come) or it being your birthday (great time to ride it) or student discount (you will need a special card to get that though I am not sure if you can get one without being a student @ a school here) the ticket cost will be around 4,000Yen for the train and another 9,000Yen for a station pass (which if you ever find the guy who invented that slap him for me because thats the biggest load of.... thats for another time I guess)

A few notes to the traveler...

-(In Game Centers) Metal Changer doesn't give back Yen... its gives Metals...
-The server at the resturant isn't ignoring you... you must call them over when your ready
-Dont worry about buying tissues... a quick walk will down a business street grant more
then enough...
-On the escalator DO NOT block the path...watch the locals and you can tell which side to
stand on (IE right in Osaka, left in Tokyo for the most part)
-Cut your hair before you go... a lot of barbers wont do it if you can't speak Japanese
-When the train doors open... stand to the side and let the people out before you try to get
in... and if your blocking people from getting out while on the train step out and to the side
-So the others can get out... the train wont leave you.
-If you dont speak Japanese and your having trouble finding someone who speaks english...
well I just plain dont know who your asking... most everyone speaks enough English to
point you in the right direction or at least to show you to someone who can help you. I
wouldn't stop a person on the street but vendors and anyone in a uniform is very helpfull.
If they are not busy they are generally more then willing to help just be sure to be POLITE
about it.
-Be sure to have fun http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif After all its one of the best and kindest nations in the world.

Mitz
Jan 11, 2007, 10:13 AM
What'cha trying to get anyway?

Tomoki
Jan 11, 2007, 12:15 PM
http://www.xe.com

/end

Thrash777
Jan 11, 2007, 03:06 PM
I <3 Japan ^_^