PDA

View Full Version : WoW or FFXI?

Zarode
Jul 21, 2006, 07:55 PM
I've been deciding on an MMORPG that would be good enough to stick around for a while to play. Then I begun to decide between Final Fantasy XI and World of Warcraft. Now I got to play these games for a very limited time, and never really got to taste, what I call, the fun in them. Maybe I didn't play long enough, or never really gave them a chance.

So I was wondering, besides knowing the price for each a month, which is better overall to play? Which is more fun? Which feels more unique? Which has more to offer?

I'm rather curious, and I hope I get some replies soon, because I'm kinda bored. XD

Oh yeah, note: I own FFXI already. I'm missing the two recent expansions, but I think I can skip those till I get a little ways in, if I do choose that one as the game I wish to play.

Zelutos
Jul 21, 2006, 08:01 PM
Play .hack// http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

KaFKa
Jul 21, 2006, 08:17 PM
I would personally say WoW, if for no other reason than the community is still growing, and still has at least another year of life in it before being thrown to the wayside by something bigger and better.

Just hope you have a lot of free time to throw away after you get to 60.

Zarode
Jul 21, 2006, 08:20 PM
Trust me KaFKa, I have plenty of free time. And Zelutos, I would go through .hack, if it didn't bore me. :/ It's fun, but boring at the same time...

Allos
Jul 21, 2006, 08:23 PM
WoW hands down.

CupOfCoffee
Jul 21, 2006, 08:30 PM
Yeah, definitely WoW. I've played both, and FFXI still strikes me as a slower, blander, and smaller version of WoW.

Link5
Jul 22, 2006, 04:40 PM
I would say FFXI, but it doesn’t appeal to everyone. Like others have said, WoW seems more fast paced, and I think that you can accomplish more in less time. FFXI can be frustrating in that it takes a lot of time to level, or progress in the game. The penalty for dying is more severe in FFXI also, because you lose experience, which can be a challenge or annoyance depending on how you look at it.
In WoW, you’re more capable of soloing to level or get things done, whereas in FFXI most things require a party of other players. In WoW, player vs. player(alliance vs. horde) can play a big role in the game if you choose that type of server. FFXI does have a PvP mode, but it’s more like an arena than being able to attack each other anywhere.
I do think FFXI’s battle system is a little more fleshed out, and the roles are a little more organized in a party.

It really depends on what you’re into. If you like the idea of having the option to solo a lot, and PvP, then WoW is the better choice. If you’re into a more team oriented game, FFXI may appeal to you. FFXI has been out longer and has more expansion’s, the new one in particular I think is really cool. WoW has a new expansion coming shortly that seems to have people hyped.

Besides these differences I’ve listed, and probably a few more, there isn’t a whole lot of difference between the two games. One has Warcraft related story and elements, the other has typical Final Fantasy elements, (gil, chocobo’s etc.)
Who knows, once PSU rolls around I may be playing neither of these http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Nisshoku
Jul 22, 2006, 07:21 PM
I'd personally suggest City of Heroes/Villains. Not only is character creation expansive, but the combination of skills and such is just amazing. I've been playing it since March of this year, and I only have praise for this game.

Saiffy
Jul 22, 2006, 07:25 PM
FFXI is too much of a grind.

Haven't played WoW, MMOs aren't my thing anymore.

Daikarin
Jul 22, 2006, 07:29 PM
I'd say WoW, because despite what the game offers, it's got one rare plus: They're constantly making the game better, fixing bugs and adding stuff, to improve the game experience for everyone. Haven't played FFXI.

DrewSeleski
Jul 24, 2006, 03:49 AM
I've played both WoW and FFXI and I really would suggest WoW. I admit there probably are people FFXI is better for but I think the majority of people would perfer a game like WoW. So I think you have better odds with that. For me FFXI was just too frustrating than I want a game to be.

CaptainJebus
Jul 24, 2006, 04:16 AM
Ehh, I played Wow, but I got bored easily. The character models are what really made me quit though. They just look so horrible. =/ FFXI is what I am playing now, even if the customization sucks the models arent completly horrible. I'd say WoW, just for the fact that you will defiently have new content a lot and they are always working on improving.

LiqourSiCC
Jul 24, 2006, 04:33 AM
On 2006-07-21 18:01, Zelutos wrote:
Play .hack// http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

hay is that game anything like the cartoon?

Neith
Jul 24, 2006, 10:37 AM
I played FFXI for a short time- Once you get to Lv10 on FFXI, you're pretty much forced to party up.

The mobs you CAN solo don't give enough EXP, and the rest are too hard, so you have to team up. Yes, MMORPG, you should be teaming up, but if you're not a party-favourable class, you'll have a hard time leveling. (You just won't get invited to teams) If you're a Black Mage/Red Mage/White Mage, you'll be sorted, they seemed to be in demand.

Same with most MMO's though really, it just seemed more evident in FFXI.

Haven't played WoW, don't like the character-style enough.