PDA

View Full Version : Apartment Costs?

PJ
Jul 23, 2006, 11:55 AM
Ok, I'm not gonna have to personally worry about this for another year or 2, but I'm wondering how much an apartment would cost about between 3 people

Like, cost of apartment itself, food, extra money for fun (:wacko:), bills (electricity etc), how much does it look like per month? High end/low end, all that jazz.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jul 23, 2006, 12:49 PM
It depends on a lot of factors.

What kind of apartment?

Location?
The more "ghetto" area you live in of course it will be cheaper than a uptown skyscraper close to everything.

How many rooms are you looking for? Can you settle for two bedrooms and use a main/living room for someone else who needs less privacy?

Futon bed = couch and a bed! Major plus when you have a minimum of room.

To move in you'll most likely have to put down a security deposit which would be about the first month's rent, maybe less if they're lenient.

As for the rest of it, however you split it three ways is up to you. Everyone pays their share? One person pays for all the utilities? Another all the food?

Pick up an "Apartments for rent" advert/pamphlet at your local supermarket/bus stop/wherever there's one of those things(usually alongside newspaper dispensers as well), to take a look at whats availible in your area for what cost.

Edit: Some places even offer incentives such as "utilities included" with the monthly rent. Then look at how long a minimum lease is for them, if its applicable.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HAYABUSA-FMW- on 2006-07-23 10:52 ]</font>

ABDUR101
Jul 23, 2006, 12:53 PM
There are literally too many factors to even begin to give you an estimate. The state, city, right down to the street and area you live in dictates alot of the cost. Location, location, location.

Locally, small apartments go for $700-800 a month, for just the apartment and utilities.

Luis
Jul 23, 2006, 01:06 PM
I paid 910$ per month for an appartment with my Wife my kid and myself thats 3 ppl =)
2 Bedrooms and 2 Baths

HUnewearl_Meira
Jul 23, 2006, 05:15 PM
In Fresno, I was paying $595 a month for two bedrooms in a rather bad area of town. I used to say that I didn't think my apartment complex was the bottom rung, but the one next to it was. I don't think I need to go into the details, but suffice it to say, it was a pretty crappy place to live. Here in Merced, I'm paying $695 a month for a two beedroom apartment in a rather good part of town. The place is bigger, cleaner, has air conditioning, and so on. The same apartment in Fresno would've gone for $810 a month (in fact, we were going to move into a comparable apartment when we chose to come back to Merced). Meanwhile, a single bedroom apartment in Southern California (Los Angeles, San Diego, etc) or the Bay Area (San Fransisco, Oakland, etc) in a less favorable neighborhood than even the one I lived in, in Fresno, may go for $900 or even in excess of $1000 per month.

I'm also aware that while he lived in Virginia, geewj was paying something like $300 a month for an apartment, with rent including water, trash, telephone, electricity, and so on. It all depends on teh cost of living in your area.

Zelutos
Jul 23, 2006, 10:02 PM
my cousin and his girlfriend paid 500 bucks for a two bedroom, huge living room, nice kitchen and bathroom. I don't really know how much they paid for food o.O

Saraphim
Jul 24, 2006, 04:12 PM
To many factors involved to give you an answer. Look it up on the web to see what's available in your area. Down here, $1,000/ month will get you a decent 3 bedroom.

I should warn you about roomates, when I graduated highschool, I tried that. I won't go into details, but it ended badly. I thought I knew these people, but I was wrong. I ended up getting evicted because I couldn't cover it for all three of us plus the utilities. Also, many aptments get nervous when they here the term "roomates", as my situation isn't uncommon.

Honestly, your best bet starting out is getting a small effeciency (aka studio apt.) that you can afford that is also all bills paid. You may have to have you parents cosign when you are ready, but that is unavoidable. If you can afford this, I strongly recommend it.

Oh well, you still have some time to sort this out so good luck when the time comes http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

roygbiv
Jul 24, 2006, 05:41 PM
I cry at the costs of these apartments.

Seriously living in a city is much much more expensive than any of these prices you guys have pointed out.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: roygbiv on 2006-07-24 15:42 ]</font>

Saraphim
Jul 24, 2006, 06:02 PM
On 2006-07-24 15:41, roygbiv wrote:
I cry at the costs of these apartments.

Seriously living in a city is much much more expensive than any of these prices you guys have pointed out.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: roygbiv on 2006-07-24 15:42 ]</font>

Of course that's just the rent I listed. It doesn't include utilities and food. prices in Houston (that counts as a city right? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif )aren't that bad, but if you want a downtown apt then you can triple the amount listed, if not more. It's different by area.