PDA

View Full Version : The price of the PS3 outrageous!

Nitro Vordex
Jul 25, 2006, 02:53 PM
Release data and suggested retail price
Release date and suggested retail price by region Region Expected pricing at release Release date
Basic Premium
Japan (JPY)[5] ¥59,800 Open price Nov 11 2006
Eurozone (EUR)[9] €499 €599 Nov 17 2006
United Kingdom (GBP)[10] - £425
United States (USD)[11] $499 $599
Canada (CAD)[11] $549 $659
Australia (AUD)[12] $829 $999
Norway (NOK) - 6000 kr
[citation needed]
Denmark (DKK)[13] 4,295 DKK 5,295 DKK
New Zealand (NZD) $999
[citation needed] $1199[14] Nov 23 2006

* Prices and release dates subject to changeSony Computer Entertainment UK Marketing Director Ray Maguire has stated that it is likely that they will launch only the 60 GB version in the UK market.[10]

In Japan, Sony has opted to go with an open pricing scheme for the 60 GB model, allowing retailers to set a price point themselves. Rakuten, one of the biggest Japanese online retailers, has set their price point at ¥71,800, or ¥75,390 with taxes added (about 675 USD).[15]

The PS3 has received mixed reviews for its price. It is significantly higher than its same-generation competition in all world markets.[16] Sony has publicly defended its pricing model, citing the PS3's higher performance and inclusion of a Blu-ray drive, of which stand-alone players will cost an estimated US$1,000.[7] There have also been statements by Sony suggesting games may cost more than US$60, the standard for higher-priced games.

Alucard_Zer0
Jul 25, 2006, 03:20 PM
yeah i'm gonna pass on a PS3. i'd much rather get my hands on the Revolution

Nixia
Jul 25, 2006, 03:31 PM
I'm gonna wait a couple o' years or however long it takes for it to drop.

navci
Jul 25, 2006, 03:41 PM
Last time I said something about the price of this thing. My co worker said "SO what! It's a commodity!"

Sure. I guess. If you can afford it.

Deathscythealpha
Jul 25, 2006, 04:25 PM
PS3 has priced itself out of my book. I just cant justify a purchase of that much, espeically seeing as its quite shaky on how much sony wants to charge for games.

Its all about the Wii for me now.

Sinue_v2
Jul 25, 2006, 05:03 PM
If you think the PS3 is expensive now, just wait till you start seeing them go on Ebay after the shortages hit. Not to mention the outrageous "bundle" packs many stores are going force you to buy to ensure the attach rate is high enough to make a sizable profit.

Oh, and don't forget the cost to replace them when it breaks.

Zelutos
Jul 25, 2006, 05:10 PM
I'll still buy one...maybe not on the release date if there arn't any good games out for it...

Edit: Does anyone have a list of the launch date games for the PS3?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zelutos on 2006-07-25 15:16 ]</font>

Hrigg
Jul 25, 2006, 05:30 PM
I'd much rather spend 600 dollars on something more useful.

I'm not very happy with my PS2 anymore. It's slow, fragile, and there's not many games I play on it anymore.

Sure, I may get a PS3, but not until the price drops.

Oni140
Jul 25, 2006, 08:33 PM
Isn't that going a little bit overboard for selling prices for a gaming console?

I may or may not get one, besides Wii, none of the new generation systems are appealing to me

I may or may not get one, but definitely not when it releases out

I just wonder how many people are willing to fork up $600 for that...

BeeYee
Jul 25, 2006, 08:49 PM
I want the Wii more, and it having a Fire Emblem game on it doesnt hurt either.

Blitzkommando
Jul 25, 2006, 09:19 PM
Whoopity doo, Sony pulls another dumb move so we have to stop the presses! I'm very disappointed in the business practices of Sony today. Their crusade for preserving their precious copyrighted material is infringing on my ability to actually enjoy their products without having to worry about illegal software or over the top methods of copy protection. Frankly, I am beginning to care less about whether they tank or not. That's a pity, because they make quality products (Trinitron monitors? We have one with the original tubes from the mid eighties that works perfectly) it's just that what they have come to stand for is something that I truly don't want to support.

ARCHANGEL7pt0
Jul 25, 2006, 09:24 PM
I do agree with Norvekh, reason being, back when the Playstation first came out, Sony seemed like the could actually give a care about their purchasers. Now, it's all about the money, but thats the new world. I do plan on getting a PS3 for great sequals like RE5, MGS4, DMC4, SH 5 ,etc. I do not think I will get a first shipment though and make the same mistake many 360 buyers witnessed, and thats a very faulty game console.

Skett
Jul 25, 2006, 10:22 PM
I plan on buying one after some price drops. The lure of Metal Gear Solid 4 is just too great for me to handle.

Calibur
Jul 26, 2006, 11:45 AM
Im going wait until one of these games is out:

-Final Fantasy XIII
-Metal Gear Solid 4
-Devil May Cry 4
-Resident Evil 5
-Tekken 6

Kizaragu
Jul 26, 2006, 01:39 PM
I'm getting one on launch (garaunteed) solely for the purpose of selling for hundreds more on ebay and making a tidy profit.
I'll then buy a Wii and 360 with said money and be non the poorer.

Sad thing is, I'm very much a product whore. It'll kill me to sell it once I own it. Despite not really wanting it that much if at all.

CherryLunar
Jul 26, 2006, 02:49 PM
I'm going to wait however long it takes for prices to drop. Even if I see titles I want.

High school economics were good for something. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Ash1ey
Jul 26, 2006, 03:24 PM
On 2006-07-26 09:45, Calibur wrote:
Im going wait until one of these games is out:

-Final Fantasy XIII
-Metal Gear Solid 4
-Devil May Cry 4
-Resident Evil 5
-Tekken 6

Ditto

darthsaber9x9
Jul 26, 2006, 06:34 PM
Given sony's history of console lastability, £425 is extreme for a console you'll have to replace in a couple of years anyway. And over $60 for games? what a joke.

Insainity1111
Jul 26, 2006, 10:07 PM
The price won't drop for a long time and it will take even longer for it to drop to a reasonable price

The_Pea_Guy
Jul 28, 2006, 12:24 PM
Who cares how much it is? Sony is still going to be the dominant player of the game's industry.

Like flies to shit, alot of people are gonna pre-order the PS3, regardless of how much it is.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The_Pea_Guy on 2006-07-28 10:25 ]</font>

Kizaragu
Jul 28, 2006, 04:24 PM
On 2006-07-28 10:24, The_Pea_Guy wrote:
Who cares how much it is? Sony is still going to be the dominant player of the game's industry.

Like flies to shit, alot of people are gonna pre-order the PS3, regardless of how much it is.

You'd be supprised. Our pre-order list at work is rediculousely low. It's not even close to double figures and it's not like we aren't trying to push it. Pre-orders have been available since the end of E3. So there's been plenty of time.
So many customer's attitude toward the console have changed the second the price comes into play. They just aren't interested in a console with a £425 price tag.
My faith in humanity is slowly restoring.

The console wars of old aren't as intense as they used to be. Nobody cares about loyalty anymore and I think it's for the better. It's not uncommon for someone to own more than one console, unlike 'back in the day.' http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
It's just as 'cool' to own a 360 now as it is a PS3. Price is playing an important factor and sony are ignoring this. Personally I hope sony get a big kick in the ass. I don't wish them to fail per se, I want them to realise that they aren't THE business, they're part of it. They've just got too big for their boots I think.

Nitro Vordex
Jul 28, 2006, 05:09 PM
Wii for me! Yay! People always talkin bout how ps2 pwns other systems. It's not the system, it's the games on it. When i saw the ps2, I wasn't interested in it mainly because there were a lot of games that were pointless. C'mon, anyone could go around and blow things up in a game that has really no good storyline,or a failed attempt at one. FOOTBALL VIDEO GAMES.
OMFGWTF is that? YOU WANNA GO PLAY FOOTBALL? GET OFF YOUR LAZY ASSES AND GO OUTSIDE!!! .....*ahem*...I feel better. :/

Luis
Jul 28, 2006, 05:27 PM
Even that i got the money for it, for sure i am not going to get it for 600$, no matter what it got inside 600$ for a gaming machine its too much, you can spend 600$ in another wise thing, besides no matter if sony Play Station brand its the leader in the console market, you got competition anyway and they are not too far from behind, besides if you are the leader you cant make fame and take a nap, you have to keep working, compete with prices and games, for sure sony its doing something that cant be done in war rules and that its "understimate the enemy"

I am going to wait until they drop the price, and worse case scenario - they are another consoles and games in the market-

Roffkaiser
Jul 30, 2006, 02:10 AM
The thing i love is that it costs more for a 360 over a 4 year period(how long it will probably be until the next xbox) than a Sony PS3 merely because of Live. That is not even factoring in gamer pictures, backgrounds, and content, which i see people shelling out 30 bucks a month for almost. So really the down fall of sony's console won't be costs, it will be marketing, you got to hide the costs so people don't KNOW they are paying 800 dollars over a 5 year period for a console that doesn't match up to a 600 dollar system.

FIDELCASTRO
Jul 30, 2006, 02:21 AM
$600...PS3, or save towards a car and insurance. PS3's aren't very good for dates are they?

Honestly, common people don't like the idea of spending $600 on a game console. Most people have no idea what Blu-ray is, so that capability won't matter to them.

People who are into business, such as my dad, currently aren't holding Sony in too high of an opinion anyways, due to their recent choices.

Roffkaiser
Jul 30, 2006, 02:24 AM
"Hey baby, want to see my console, it costs over half a grand!"
*chick looks at my beat up integra*
"I'll pass"

Yeah your right, i should probably focus on my ride, but I could ACT like i am driving my car in GT5...wow i really do need to just stop reasoning with myself and just get a good job so i can afford both.

Solstis
Jul 30, 2006, 02:39 AM
On 2006-07-30 00:10, Roffkaiser wrote:
The thing i love is that it costs more for a 360 over a 4 year period(how long it will probably be until the next xbox) than a Sony PS3 merely because of Live. That is not even factoring in gamer pictures, backgrounds, and content, which i see people shelling out 30 bucks a month for almost. So really the down fall of sony's console won't be costs, it will be marketing, you got to hide the costs so people don't KNOW they are paying 800 dollars over a 5 year period for a console that doesn't match up to a 600 dollar system.

You don't have to get live.

Roffkaiser
Jul 30, 2006, 02:44 AM
Seriously if you don't get live why get an xbox 360? And if you don't want to factor in that cost than factor in the price of an HD-DVD drive which will cost another 100$ at least and will be needed if you want to play any good games. Oblivion's problem with draw distances on the console came from a lack of space on the single DVD they had to deal with, so probably one of the reasons we haven't had any true "next-gen" titles on the xbox to play yet has something to do with that.

RuneLateralus
Jul 30, 2006, 07:31 AM
On 2006-07-30 00:44, Roffkaiser wrote:
Seriously if you don't get live why get an xbox 360? And if you don't want to factor in that cost than factor in the price of an HD-DVD drive which will cost another 100$ at least and will be needed if you want to play any good games. Oblivion's problem with draw distances on the console came from a lack of space on the single DVD they had to deal with, so probably one of the reasons we haven't had any true "next-gen" titles on the xbox to play yet has something to do with that.

The HD-DVD drive will not play games. It is an option for those who already have a 360 to allow them to watch HD movies with their system.

Rion772
Jul 30, 2006, 12:23 PM
I'll get one next summer for sure, along with my new computer and Xbox 360.

Roffkaiser
Jul 30, 2006, 01:42 PM
Wow, if they are not going to have games with the HD-DVD drive then why did I buy a 360? I am so sad now because I may never be able to experiance a next gen game on the 360 now http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

RuneLateralus
Jul 30, 2006, 02:32 PM
On 2006-07-30 11:42, Roffkaiser wrote:
Wow, if they are not going to have games with the HD-DVD drive then why did I buy a 360? I am so sad now because I may never be able to experiance a next gen game on the 360 now http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

First of all, how is XBox 360 not next gen? It has the technology. And there are some amazing looking titles.

Second of all, HD-DVD is only a disc format. What difference does it matter? So 360 games may get upto two or three discs and you have to swap them out. How does that effect the actual gameplay causing it to not be next gen?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RuneLateralus on 2006-07-30 12:35 ]</font>

ElfKitty
Jul 30, 2006, 02:37 PM
I was really excited about the PS3 until I heard the price. Screw that, I don't care anymore. Give me the Wii!! =D Those games are going to be way more fun anyway.

Roffkaiser
Jul 30, 2006, 02:41 PM
In games that are set in stone like Final Fantasy and Xenogears and things like that, of course I would agree with you that there is no problem. But any open ended game, or FPS has to be on one disk, and since those two types of games are really what makes the Xbox 360 stand apart from the other two consoles it kind of hurts it that it can't fit all the next gen things onto one disk like a HD-DVD or Blue Ray. So we are stuck in the current Gen of games like Oblivion because of disk space and not technology...I just hope to god that there will be HD-DVD games, though I will have to wait for Gears of War to really see if they can still do a decent job on the old DVDs.

RuneLateralus
Jul 30, 2006, 02:48 PM
Umm...you do know that Wii also has standard DVD drive, right. Maybe I am misunderstanding your statement, but just sounded like you are saying the 360 is the only system to be "held back" by this feature.

And I don't really understand how Oblivion is a current gen game. The game's scale for a single player RPG is amazing for a game that is on one disc. And the game is completely open ended, so how is it current gen?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RuneLateralus on 2006-07-30 12:51 ]</font>

Roffkaiser
Jul 30, 2006, 02:54 PM
It is a great game, I mean I loved it, but it just had problems that could have been fixed with more disk space, I mean the 5-6 hours of voice took up a lot of space on there own. Thats why you will be walking through a forest and see a house appear or trees out of thin air, the draw distance just isn't as great as it could be, the graphics weren't as great as they could have been and the gameplay to me wasn't as long as Morrowinds, though that is almost entirely from the auto-leveling of monsters.

And by no means am I saying that it is the only system being held back, but the Wii, you don't expect it to have as great performance as a system a hundred dollars more than it(the 360). And the Wii is known to not be as graphics intensive as the other two systems, Nintendo themselves have said this and the strong suit of the system comes from gameplay and innovation, not graphics.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Roffkaiser on 2006-07-30 12:58 ]</font>

RuneLateralus
Jul 30, 2006, 03:09 PM
The gameplay aspect understanding, the graphics aspect however isn't. A disc format isn't really a detering thing in graphics and draw distance. That aspect determined by the GPU and system memory. Really, the only thing that a higher format would do for graphics is higher res texture files...but I really don't think they would be much bigger if they had the space to make them because it would take more out of the hardware to attempt render them in real time.

Roffkaiser
Jul 30, 2006, 03:16 PM
All I am saying is that things appearing from no where wasn't what I thought of when "next-gen" was tacked onto games, and disk space is usually what is attributed to the Oblivion case, as I would highly doubt it is a lack of power from the 360 but I will just have to wait for the PS3 to see if my idea of "next gen" is even possible now.

Wyndham
Jul 30, 2006, 04:22 PM
I was originally thinking of getting a PS3, but with the current price, and the Wii's games coming out, I'll wait a while.

Sharkyland
Jul 30, 2006, 06:34 PM
I'll wait until the price cut as well as the 2nd generation of PS3 for me to buy it.

I thought the release of PS3 was pushed way way back like '07 or something.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sharkyland on 2006-07-30 16:35 ]</font>

kazuma56
Jul 30, 2006, 07:29 PM
I'll get a launch PS3 along with a Wii (not sure if if i'm going to get at launch, the titles at launch aren't looking to hot and the WIFI only thing makes the console even less appealing to me since I don't have Wifi and use "wired" internet) before year end, but with the huge backwards library the PS3 will undoubtly have, I could probably make a decent buck off my HDD PS2 on Ebay.

FIDELCASTRO
Jul 30, 2006, 09:37 PM
another HUGE factor for me is the whole 'convince my parents a video game system is worth $600' thing. i dropped $300 on my Zen Vision: M and another $260 on my new camera, plus i'll end up putting another $200 on a new set of headphones. that'll be my spending cap for the year probably.

DizzyDi
Jul 30, 2006, 09:39 PM
Well my mom already plans on buying the PS3 when it comes, the full $600 version. For what reason? Hell if I know, but I'm not complaining. I'll probably wind up with all 3 systems before the next-NEXT-gen comes out, I always do.

Spoiled lil me.

Tweengo
Jul 31, 2006, 06:06 AM
I hate Sony purely for the fact that they think they can patent everything. Ninty comes up with the controller for the Wii, then Sony say they had it planned before them. They then nick their idea and shove it into their OH SO BORING generic controller. I then read from a reliable source (channel 4 teletext) that sony plan to go to court to patent a ''rod like controller'' similar to the Wii's. Yeah right. Sony know that they may lose out to the former master, Nintendo, and the 360, so I feel they're using their position in the gaming world to bully their way into the lead. pspee is a rip-off pure and simple. The price of their console=3 Wiis or a Wii60 (you know what I mean). I hope Sony crashes and burns in the gaming world.

DoctorShasta
Jul 31, 2006, 09:52 AM
I loved the ps2 but sony is just being stubborn about this everyone I know is like "$600? HELL NO" but sony refuses to back down in the slightest and who cares if your system is that great why not just take out a few things and reduce the cost? Although I suppose it will sell well with all those rich people that just like to have the most expensive things on the block.

Roffkaiser
Jul 31, 2006, 12:01 PM
On 2006-07-31 04:06, Tweengo wrote:
I hate Sony purely for the fact that they think they can patent everything. Ninty comes up with the controller for the Wii, then Sony say they had it planned before them. They then nick their idea and shove it into their OH SO BORING generic controller. I then read from a reliable source (channel 4 teletext) that sony plan to go to court to patent a ''rod like controller'' similar to the Wii's. Yeah right. Sony know that they may lose out to the former master, Nintendo, and the 360, so I feel they're using their position in the gaming world to bully their way into the lead. pspee is a rip-off pure and simple. The price of their console=3 Wiis or a Wii60 (you know what I mean). I hope Sony crashes and burns in the gaming world.

Well it is a doggy dog world in the corporate sector, with Microsoft owning the rights to rumble action now so really every company has to pay them that uses it. It is only smart for Sony to get as far away from rumble technology as possible. Not to mention the Xbox controller is almost an exact replica of the dreamcast with just another analog stick and the wire moved to the top.

Gaderffii
Jul 31, 2006, 08:06 PM
"Wii" know that the Wii is gonna be better and cheaper...

(Bad Pun sorry)

Roffkaiser
Jul 31, 2006, 08:18 PM
Some one needs to learn how to spell!

Hope they make a great F-Zero game for it though, i thought the gamecube one was pretty good, and of course Super Smash Bros. Brawl will be great.

Btw..j/k about the wii spelling thing http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Roffkaiser on 2006-07-31 18:18 ]</font>

Tweengo
Aug 1, 2006, 05:28 AM
An another forum, someone said that once you buy the PS3, you'll have nothing to do with it 'cept stare at it, look at it and then maybe kiss it 'cause it's that damn expensive http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif I couldn't agree more.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tweengo on 2006-08-01 03:28 ]</font>

Ryudo
Aug 1, 2006, 12:11 PM
The ps3 is simply a far more impressive piece of kit than the Wii

if you dont care about graphics and just want good games then go get a saturn or megadrive , they're a hell of a lot cheaper than the Wii too :>

Wyndham
Aug 1, 2006, 12:28 PM
the Wii has good graphics, just not as good asthe 2360 and PS3. and Ryudo, do the saturn an d Genesis have the Wii controller, and downloadable games from several systems, and compatability with the GC? thought not.

Lord_Kratos
Aug 1, 2006, 01:20 PM
peh screw the PS3 im gettin myself a Wii! anyone know when you can preorder a Wii? the PS3's "blu-ray" technology doesnt seem special to me. I could shit in a box and price it $600 dollars and guess what the PS3 is the same. the Wii is more innovative and you can get some exercise by jumping around waving the controller playin sweet games like Metroid 3 or Zelda or Red Steel!!!

Roffkaiser
Aug 1, 2006, 03:14 PM
Thats one of my problems I thought I would have with the Wii which I am glad they solved by having regular controllers being compatable. If I really just worked out, would I really want to be jumping around, or veg out with a regular controller? I usually choose the veg option after working out. Also games like Brawl are better with a regular controller. I just can't wait for the kind of extra hardware you could do for the Wii, like pimped out controllers that really look like swords or baseball bats lol

darthsaber9x9
Aug 1, 2006, 06:17 PM
On 2006-08-01 10:11, Ryudo wrote:
The ps3 is simply a far more impressive piece of kit than the Wii

if you dont care about graphics and just want good games then go get a saturn or megadrive , they're a hell of a lot cheaper than the Wii too :>

That's the most fucking ridiculous statement ever.

If you wanna look at graphics then sure the ps3 is "more impressive" although it's not as if the wii is bad. If you want real innovation? Head for the Wii. Ultimately, the ps3 is simply a more powerful ps2. If that's impressive to you then so be it I guess.

And yes, I'd rather re-live the days of the Saturn than the PS3. And part of that is because I actually felt a connection with Sega as a company. With sony, it even FEELS like they're in it for the money. People who played and loved their Saturn/Dreamcast will know what I mean.

Surely there has to come a time when you must demand more from companies then to simply rehash an old product with nicer visuals. Surely you'd expect more?

Tweengo
Aug 3, 2006, 07:18 AM
I agree. Sony Europe say they plan to release the more expensive version of the PS3 here, and not the cheaper one. I hate the way we are treated by them, and especially by Nintendo. Sure Nintendo also do great games, but if they carry on treating us europeans, and UK (where I am), like crap, then they'll have to face the fact that most of us will defect to other consoles. I'm all for the WII but not for the long waiting times for games (I mean come on, 2 years after US get Animal Crossing they decide to release it here). Nintendo can't just survive in the US market, can they, since the west is dominated by Sony Fanboys anyway.

Lord_Kratos
Aug 3, 2006, 09:10 AM
i heard that u can "back track through history" by downloading the old past Nintendo games on yur Wii and you can download Turbographix16 games and Sega systems alos. so if thats true what would be the use of buying the Megadrive and Saturn when......you can just get them on the Wii. I think it would be cheaper to get all of those games on the Wii then just buy systems and the games seperately. or get ROM's on the computer

DoctorShasta
Aug 3, 2006, 10:23 AM
Yea agreed Wii is the one next gen console I'm sure about even if it turns out to be a train wreck at least I tried it.

Tweengo
Aug 4, 2006, 11:40 AM
Roll on the Wii. And besides, Sony are missing the point that christmas is when the consoles go flying. Parent goes to the shop, sees a PS3 that their kids been moaning about, looks at the price, then faints. Looks at the price of the Wii, decides to get that as it's more fun for the kids. Wii should sell loads at Christmas. Sony are losing out on customers, 'cause prices like that of the PS3 are pushing it into the 'elitist' hobby, whatever that means. Wii is more accessible as it's WAAAAY cheaper.

GrumblyStuff
Aug 4, 2006, 02:21 PM
On 2006-08-04 09:40, Tweengo wrote:
Looks at the price of the Wii, decides to get that as it's more funless expensive for the kidsparents.

Fixed.

(That said, I won't be getting a PS3 ever irregardless of how cheap it will become.)

Inazuma
Aug 4, 2006, 02:46 PM
the wii is the best of the next gen systems AND its the cheapest? easy decision there. online smash bros = instant win

Lord_Kratos
Aug 6, 2006, 09:53 PM
yah most definitly man most definitly. im pickin up a Wii as i have said a few times and my friend a hard core sony friend mite because i convinced him.

Roffkaiser
Aug 6, 2006, 10:33 PM
Lord_Kratos, don't get your friend to pick up a Wii, make him get a PS3, then you get access to a 600 dollar system for free!

Sinue_v2
Aug 6, 2006, 11:34 PM
Parent goes to the shop, sees a PS3 that their kids been moaning about, looks at the price, then faints. Looks at the price of the Wii, decides to get that as it's more fun for the kids. Wii should sell loads at Christmas.

Don't bet on it. If history has proven anything, it's that fools and their money are soon parted. There's a lot of parents out there who just can not say no to their kids - and will go so far as to put their personal belongings up for collateral just to get their kids what they want.

Christ, remember how much Tickle-Me-Elmo and Furbys went for online while they were scarce durring the holiday season? Any stupid doll or talking/shaking/furry thing could have sufficed. But no... that kid wanted the Tickle-Me-Furby and by god that's what they got.

The price tag (expecially the bundles and Ebay prices), I'm sure, will drive a lot of parents off. But they're of no concequence. I highly doubt Sony plans on producing enough consoles to satisfy the demand from the people actually willing to spend that much.

Besides... it's the same tired line you hear Nintendo fans spew every generation.

NES is king, and parents are going to go with what they know their kids love! Nintendo will dominate just like they did last gen.

SNES was awesome, Nintendo is synonomous with games! It's cheaper than the PSX, and parents know it's family friendly. N64 will put Nintendo undesputably back on top!

The N64 had a few mistakes, ok, but the GameCube will change all of that! It's much cheaper than the PS2, It's getting mature games, and many parents will buy it because they grew up loving Nintendo themselves! They can't lose!

Notice a pattern?

Not to say that Nintendo can't win this generation, or that they can't gain back a substancial marketshare. I'm just saying that they have a long climb back up to the top in a market which is very hostile towards them right now. The Wiimote is a great idea... for gamers? How are casuals and kids really going to respond to it? It's a big risk, and noone really knows how well it will pay off.

One thing is for certain,the Dreamcast should have been proof positive of this, and that is that a cheaper price point, a library of excellent games, and innovative features (like pushing online play) cannot guantee even marginal success.

Roffkaiser
Aug 7, 2006, 12:10 AM
Well it is almost a given that all the PS3s at launch will be sold out, and for a long time after even with the 600 price tag. I mean people bought the xbox 360 for as much and it didn't even have any great games at launch, just the thought of next gen made people buy it, and I think the same will happen with the PS3. After all the PS3 is the best bang for the buck, more power under the hood than any PC, enough disk space to go the distance, and developer support to create great games. Like EA was saying, the first generation alone of PS3 games will be as good as the 2nd generation 360 games.

Zarode
Aug 7, 2006, 12:13 AM
Sinue just reminded me of something. Graphics and features > gameplay and fun. Always. I mean, look at the 360. Clearly successful because of this.

The gamecube wasn't very successful for a lot of reason more then graphics. Kinda the same deal with Dreamcast.

Playstation One was a pile of crap with mediocer games. (I'm staying biased on this one)

Playstation Two is a pile of waste with a few rare, good games.

The Playstation Three looks like a pile of crap with pretties put on it so it looks all nice under a heavy economical waste.

I like Sony, but I wish they would just stick to TVs. It's about all they can do right.

Scejntjynahl
Aug 7, 2006, 12:43 AM
Reminds me of NewGeo. And if you dont remember, Im not surprised that thing had a very heavy price tag as well.

Lord_Kratos
Aug 7, 2006, 08:45 AM
i think the Cube was underrated! i love my CUBE and it has never failed me! especially with PSO!!!! ther are good games on the cube like PSO and fire emblem and supersmashbros. pikmin. animal crossing. and that one game which was defender on crack, someone wanna help me with the title!?!

Feelmirath
Aug 7, 2006, 08:53 AM
Ikaruga? >.>

tank1
Aug 7, 2006, 09:46 AM
You call yourself Lord_Kratos but dont mention ToS for shame ^_^

Foxix
Aug 7, 2006, 09:02 PM
W00 Ikaruga! Resident evil?

but anyways, Roffkaiser, your complaints about disc space being the reason for draw distance issues in oblivion are totally wrong. Oblivion has pop ups and things, like the grass, and I would think other things aren't perfect in it as well but this is because it was programmed as such. Oblivion only takes around 4.5 gigs on a 9 gig dual layer dvd. You could fit the game on there twice if you tried hard enough. Disc space is not a problem and won't be for a very long time. The only reason sony is saying that you need blue ray is because they are part of a mass of companies that actually created it. They do not want blue ray to fail like UMD's and beta max.

Also a game using over 9 gigs will not happen. Why? Not because it won't fit onto a disc but due to the fact that they could never get the funding to produce a game of that calibur. RPG's wont even do it, look at Xenosaga it was originally intended to be 6 games but its now three, and they would not make all of them at once and compile it on a single disc. This is because they need the profits earned from the first in order to make the second and so on.

well I feel better now http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif oh and ToS was possibly the most engaging rpg I have ever played in my life. I actually yelled at Collette during the plot twists http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Skett
Aug 7, 2006, 10:05 PM
The whole Oblivion/pop-ups thing doesn't have to do with disk sizes. Actually, I've heard that much of it comes from 360's disk reading speed. Oblivion requires a massive amount of constant streaming from the disk, but the drive that reads the disks just isn't fast enough to read what it needs and chuck it onto your television. This leads to the pop-ups and slowdown, or so I've heard. Since many drives for computers are faster than 360's, it will obviously result in less pop-ups and such.

Than again, I don't know if that's true. I'm not too knowledgable about such things and it's only something I've heard.

Lord_Kratos
Aug 7, 2006, 10:41 PM
im such a fool yes i forgot ToS im a failure!!! -_- thats a good on too and so is Ikaruga.

DarthMegatron
Aug 8, 2006, 04:43 AM
Hahaha, you guys crack me up, but it's okay because I need the laughs. Darn right, price is outragious. And in case anyone forgot, the Dreamcast graphics actually looked better, more 3D than PS2. How could anyone bash it or the GC? Also, there's Skies of Arcadia! And yeah, yeah Wii all the way, Wii for the win!! It's going to be so awesome. And just so you know I was originally a Sega fan the first ever Nintendo system I got was the Cube as sad as that is.

Lord_Kratos
Aug 8, 2006, 10:24 AM
heh GO Wii!!!!!!!!! Yha i forgot Skies also. thtas such a good RPG!!!

VioletSkye
Aug 8, 2006, 10:37 AM
On 2006-08-06 22:10, Roffkaiser wrote:
After all the PS3 is the best bang for the buck, more power under the hood than any PC, enough disk space to go the distance, and developer support to create great games. Like EA was saying, the first generation alone of PS3 games will be as good as the 2nd generation 360 games.

Not sure where you pulled that misinformation from, but it's grossly incorrect. You can currently buy (or build) pcs now that are twice as powerful as the PS3 and that margin will only grow wider as hybrid harddrives, SATA optical drives, multi core cpus/gpus become faster and more mainstream. Also look for the inclusion of GDDR4 on the new 8 series cards from Nvidia and the Radeon R600 series. Besides, apparently the PS3 architecture is horribly broken (cell processor anyone) and although the games will look nice, they still won't hold a candle to a descent gaming pc. This link was posted already at PSOW but I'll post it again for those that missed it.

PS3 hardware slow and broken (http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32171)

I have yet to see any information about the above situation being remedied.

PS. I should note that the SATA optical drives won't really yield any performance boost as even the fastest DVD drives today do not come close to pushing the limits of even an Ultra ATA/33 connection. But they are cool and make for a much cleaner/organized cable management solution (yeah, yeah, yeah, I know about rounded IDE cables and yes I use them often, but even they are much bulkier than SATA cables.) I really wish they would come down in price http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-08-08 09:13 ]</font>

Roffkaiser
Aug 8, 2006, 03:10 PM
This from BBCnews,
"The chip will run at speeds of greater than 4 GHz, the firms said.

By comparison, rival chip maker Intel's fastest processor runs at 3.8 GHz."
Which technically the chip runs at 4.6, so that is what i was going on, not memory. And thats just the cell.

Now you compare that to the Wii "Nintendo Wii’s ‘Broadway’ CPU operates at 729MHZ with a maximum bandwith of 1.9gbyte/sec."

As for the Oblivion comment, my mistake was looking at the DVD5 and not DVD9.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Roffkaiser on 2006-08-08 13:15 ]</font>

VioletSkye
Aug 8, 2006, 03:29 PM
Faster does not always equate to more powerful and in this case it definitely doesn't. I'll skip all the tech stuff suffice it to say that you simply need look at how the AMD cpus have been as powerful if not more powerful than Intels higher clocked cpus. Intel made an AWESOME comeback with their Core 2 Duo line however.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-08-08 13:38 ]</font>

Roffkaiser
Aug 8, 2006, 04:43 PM
I will concede the point, I think it will take the release of the PS3 to really see just how it stacks up to the competition.

Lord_Kratos
Aug 8, 2006, 06:08 PM
i need to get mreo up to date with computers cus im not sure exactly what you guys said. chip wise and everything. CPU's and processors i kinda know

Foxix
Aug 8, 2006, 07:20 PM
Well I don't understand all that techno mumbo jumbo but what I did seem to catch was that even though the PS3 is hella fast a crucial bit when it comes to rendering stuff is crippled and weak. The cells achilles(spelling?) heel is that its read speed from a bit of memory, local memory, is insanely poor. sooo I guess the PS3 is going to be crippled and poor but insanely expensive?

Looking back at it the article is right there were hardly any objects in the PS3 demos at E3, I was wondering why all the games seemed to look so bland. Well that just about answered it... Poor GT...

May the superior, uncrippled Aryan Wii60 race live long. *salutes*

Tweengo
Aug 9, 2006, 07:05 AM
On 2006-08-07 06:45, Lord_Kratos wrote:
i think the Cube was underrated! i love my CUBE and it has never failed me! especially with PSO!!!! ther are good games on the cube like PSO and fire emblem and supersmashbros. pikmin. animal crossing. and that one game which was defender on crack, someone wanna help me with the title!?!

Ditto. I love my Cube also. It's grossly ignored by developers that know the Cube is capable of producing better looking games than the PS2, yet they make previously multi platform games PS2-only, like Soul Calibur 2 sold the most on Cube but Namco made the third installment PS2-only, idiots. Seriously though, I don't see Sony being number one for much longer with the price of the PS3. I read from a reliable source that some Japanese company said they prob won't make games for the PS3 'til 2010, because it's a difficult system to develop games for and is expensive also. I really do hope the Wii and 360 beat Sony.

therealAERO
Aug 9, 2006, 07:18 AM
Since I played both at E3, and therefore I have experience in both I can honestly say I had more fun playing the Wii. Don't get me wrong I had fun playing the PS3(Sonic the hedgehog atleast) But the Wii is just so much more appealing.

I have been a gamer for a good 17 years(I'm 20) and I can say when I was back in High school I played very little games because I just didn't enjoy them anymore.

I didn't enjoy sitting down, and using a complicated controller with more complicated controls. Gaming was a solitary act, and I would much rather be hanging out with my friends than play a game. Gaming became a chore to me, and after playing the Wii that thought went away.

So I'll be buying the Wii at launch

Lord_Kratos
Aug 9, 2006, 11:02 AM
your my hero! anyways my friend is exactly like you. hes been gaming for about 17 years and he feels that he cant play anything over 16-bit. he always says, "alls i need is an A and B button, everything else is just complicated." i feel that will happen to those Sony only fans cus the games are very bland as you say. Both him and you are my heroes along with Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Arnold and Jet Li

therealAERO
Aug 9, 2006, 11:14 AM
Wow hehe!! Thanks that makes me feel really good http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

If Nintendo didn't announce the Wii I would've given up hope. Of course I would play every now and than. The thing that appeals to me about the Wii is the party aspects. Even if you aren't playing, but watching you will still be having a good time...that is until it's your turn, and than you will have a really good time http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Tweengo
Aug 9, 2006, 11:53 AM
I just look forward to the day when I can say 'Hey look Sony Fanboy, my Wiimote doubles as a sword/lightsaber. Alls you do is sit down, press buttons and go ''whoooaaa, look at the graphics'', oh and maybe tilt the joypad too, how original'<<<that last bit obviously in a sarcastic tone. Seriously though, how can Sony move gaming forward when all they're doing are improving the graphics? Plus they'll only look slightly better on normal TVs. The heck do they expect everyone to be able to afford HD-TV (whatever they are)? All Sony do is improve the graphics, but you play the game in the same generic way with a joypad, plus the stolen idea of tilt sensors. How exciting.

therealAERO
Aug 9, 2006, 12:12 PM
Long Live the Wii!!!

(sorry no point to post I know http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif)

PandaMasterX4
Aug 9, 2006, 12:57 PM
I couldn't agree more with the majority of people on this. I frankly was interested in the PS3, but before they released the price at E3, I started doing research on the actual hardware that they had inside. Looking into everything, I thought, Sony dug themselves a very DEEP grave because their console is gonna be so expensive from this shit.

Sure enough, $600 price mark and games running between 60-100 dollars. Um... no thanks. Look at it this way, $600 for the system alone and you get one controller. A controller for the PS3 will probably cost you $40 bucks. (Yes i know ouchie huh?) and a game is anywhere between 60-100. No promising launch titles for the PS3, and with a highly defective Cell processor (1:5 chance of getting a defective one), most people are going to get the shit end of the stick when they buy first gen of this system.

I'd have to admit, when Nintendo first announced Wii or "Revolution" back in the day, I wasn't impressed. There was nothing that caught my attention and made it stand out IMO. My opinion changed drastically once I attended E3. The system at launch will be no more than $250 (heavy hint that it'll be $249) games will be no more than $49.99, and the play response was something that you can't/won't get anywhere else. I was sold when Zelda was a launch title. I was double sold when Metroid was also a title. The virtual console just raped my soul.

Sony is actually BSing saying they had that technology before nintendo. The gyros that come from nintendo's 'nunchuck' controller actually started back when the gameboy pocket (or color can't remember) was around with Kirby's tilt and roll.

Wii ftw in my book. Personally I think Nintendo is going to either be neck and neck with MS or take lead. I don't see Sony being market leader in this gen.

Lord_Kratos
Aug 9, 2006, 02:24 PM
preach on!!!!

DarthMegatron
Aug 9, 2006, 11:16 PM
Man, the more and more I hear about the Wii, the more I want it! Must... play.... Zelda with Wiimote!! To hear from people with firsthand experience of playing the system say great things is... great!

And in my opinion, the PS3 should be called the B$3. B for Bull, $ because $ony is greedy S.O.B.s and also for you know what. I had owned what, 2 PSX, one PSOne, 2 PS2s? They are built to break down so you can buy new ones! Just like some of todays American cars. If I didn't know any better I would say $ony was an American company. And, 1:5 chance of defective cell processor? Bahahahaha. They claimed the Tilt Technology was theirs? You got to be kidding me. Anyone remember Yoshi Topsy Tirvy? And that other game you mentioned. In my opinion, $ony can never recapture the glory days of the original Playstation. And even P$2 was a downgrade in terms of fun and good games.

Roffkaiser
Aug 10, 2006, 01:32 AM
On 2006-08-09 21:16, DarthMegatron wrote:
Man, the more and more I hear about the Wii, the more I want it! Must... play.... Zelda with Wiimote!! To hear from people with firsthand experience of playing the system say great things is... great!

And in my opinion, the PS3 should be called the B$3. B for Bull, $ because $ony is greedy S.O.B.s and also for you know what. I had owned what, 2 PSX, one PSOne, 2 PS2s? They are built to break down so you can buy new ones! Just like some of todays American cars. If I didn't know any better I would say $ony was an American company. And, 1:5 chance of defective cell processor? Bahahahaha. They claimed the Tilt Technology was theirs? You got to be kidding me. Anyone remember Yoshi Topsy Tirvy? And that other game you mentioned. In my opinion, $ony can never recapture the glory days of the original Playstation. And even P$2 was a downgrade in terms of fun and good games.

I must admit the new systems do break down alot, my PS2, and xbox died, not to mention my 360 keeps having problems then you look at my 17 year old NES still works...technology pshh.

Foxix
Aug 10, 2006, 02:42 AM
There's a couple reasons why older stuff systems seem to keep longer. One being that they have fewer components and therefore less stuff to go wrong and break down. The other is that if it's made by Nintendo it's pretty much guaranteed to last through a nuclear holocaust. Should any of the radiation contaminate one of their products just find some rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs or just blow really really hard.

Seriously, Nintendo's products last longer than twinkies and age better than wine.

PandaMasterX4
Aug 10, 2006, 11:22 AM
On 2006-08-10 00:42, Foxix wrote:
There's a couple reasons why older stuff systems seem to keep longer. One being that they have fewer components and therefore less stuff to go wrong and break down. The other is that if it's made by Nintendo it's pretty much guaranteed to last through a nuclear holocaust. Should any of the radiation contaminate one of their products just find some rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs or just blow really really hard.

Seriously, Nintendo's products last longer than twinkies and age better than wine.

No kidding, All my nintendo products still work. I'm like "oh snap!" My friend accidently drop his DS in the toilet (it only had water) cleaned it off, and still worked. Someone dropped their cube from 2 storys up and it still works.

Foxix
Aug 10, 2006, 07:09 PM
For those of you who actually got a chance with the wii at E3, I gotta ask, Was the controller too sensitive and do you think in the future you will be able to adjust to sensitivity depending on how far away you sit from the sensor. My room is fairly small and I don't have much room to actually flail about... I sit on my bed play games with a stack of pillows and blankets behind my back http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif So that is just about the only things making me hesitant on actually going out and reserving one when it becomes available.

Lord_Kratos
Aug 10, 2006, 07:18 PM
u probably could. thats what i do. is sit on my bed and play PSO!!!!

Nitro Vordex
Aug 10, 2006, 08:56 PM
UPDATE: I don't elieve how many people have posted on this,this,...uh, wait...AH HA! ABOMINDATION!Look foward to a cool tribute through the systems!
Thanks everyone!

Lord_Kratos
Aug 10, 2006, 10:12 PM
PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!!!

PandaMasterX4
Aug 10, 2006, 10:59 PM
The controls on Metroid and Zelda weren't too sensative at all. I believe you can adjust the sensativity in the actual game when you play, but couldn't on those demos. Now, the accuracy depends on how far you sit. I'm definately going to have to rearrange my bed when I play becuase if you're too close to the sensor bar, it's gonna have trouble reading your ups, downs, lefts, and rights.

I think 4 feet is good spacing. Games like redsteel, sucked as the demo but has looked a lot better since the updates have been going on. The ONLY thing that was good about redsteel at E3 was depending on how you tilted your controller, depended on how you held your gun in game.

Poor things about Redsteel demo: 8 directions to swing with a sword only, Poor graphics, poor physics, poor animation, poor response.

They've made improvements since then so I'm still interested to try it out. The A+ games out of E3 were in this order, Metroid, Zelda, Mario, Sonic, Wii sports, Monkeyball.

Foxix
Aug 10, 2006, 11:52 PM
I was aslo curious as to how precise the controls were. I mean it seems to be the perfect fps controller what with analog stick movement for precise speed and many varied movements and a controller that can actually be aimed like a gun. Any thoughts on if it could give the mouse and keyboard a run for its money?

PandaMasterX4
Aug 11, 2006, 12:21 AM
Mouse and Keyboard will own any FPS. The good thing about the wii, is it feels more like you're in it. It will definately top all console FPS that's for sure, but PC, nah, mouse and keyboard win hands down.

It's really precise honestly. Your aim which imo is what makes this so much cooler, is where you're pointing your remote. When I play, I wink one eye and aim with the other and the remote by my face to get a good shot. When I'm doing normal shots I won't do this but that is what makes it so much cooler is you're able to change your shots.

DarthMegatron
Aug 11, 2006, 12:36 AM
That.... sounds.... just awesome! Using it to aim and stuff! And Red Steel is the first ever FPS, First Person Sword! Hahaha, this started out as a discussion on the outrageous price of the B$3 but now everyone is talking about the greatness that is the Wii.

And as far as durability goes, it still worked from in a toilet and the other from 2 stories up! Wow. And I've never had any problem with Gamecube or any of my Sega systems either really.

therealAERO
Aug 11, 2006, 08:09 AM
Whoa PandaMasterX4 you went to e3? Awesome!! Anyway I talked to a Nintendo Rep at The Obstacle Course game and asked him about the sensitivity, and he told me that the retail version will have 4 different settings for sensitivity.

I also heard bad things about red steel, but recently they have been fixing it up so I got my hope back again http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif Looks pretty cool, they just need to get rid of scripted actions.

Tweengo
Aug 11, 2006, 08:15 AM
I saw on the 'net these guys tested how tough the 'Cube was. They tied it to the back of a car, dragged it through the streets for a bit, switched it on and it still worked. Bet the PS2 couldn't do that.

Lord_Kratos
Aug 11, 2006, 08:15 AM
dude i wanna go to E3. -_- i never got ot cus im not cool like that. but......i have you guys to tell me. there was an obsticle course game? wow

PandaMasterX4
Aug 11, 2006, 10:18 AM
E3 will no longer be the great show it's been. They're downsizing like mad so it's gonna be in like a hotel lobby and very private. Some other Trade show will be taking the spot for the largest convention, and that'll be in Indianapolis.

Foxix
Aug 11, 2006, 05:18 PM
mm, not suprising thats how E3 started in the first place. GameInformer or some website had a bit under a rumer section that was saying E3 maynot happen again because the amount of money dev's spend there doesn't really help marketing wise or something. yeah I know I thought the same thing too "wtf?"

PandaMasterX4
Aug 11, 2006, 05:36 PM
Nah E3 will happen there is no doubt about that. But it won't be the huge trade show it use to be.

DonRoyale
Aug 11, 2006, 05:48 PM
And THAT, my friends, is why you do not buy the Playstation series. A whole load of money for a whole load of nothing, IMO >_>

PandaMasterX4
Aug 11, 2006, 06:35 PM
I wouldn't say don't buy a Playstation... just don't buy a first gen, or anything over the price of $300