PDA

View Full Version : The condition of FanWorks

TheyCallMeJoe
Jul 26, 2006, 05:49 PM
I'm having an issue with the Swimsuit Contest in FanWorks. The last time I checked, the entries were supposed to be illustrations of PSO characters having fun at the beach...NOT illustrations almost exclusively focusing on barely-clothed women strutting around doing nothing but look pretty. I will admit, I'm a guy. I find women attractive, but please can't we see something else? I realize that more than 3/4 of the PSOW population is male, but we're supposed to be drawing Phantasy Star stuff here folks, not models.

End of rant.

trypticon
Jul 26, 2006, 06:03 PM
I think a lot of the forum goers here have a problem with the crap in fanworks, we just don't complain much about it.

It's just a contest, it will be over soon enough. If you're not interested in viewing the works that are in it, don't.

Shigecki
Jul 26, 2006, 07:19 PM
On 2006-07-26 15:49, TheyCallMeJoe wrote:
I will admit, I'm a guy. I find women attractive, but please can't we see something else? I realize that more than 3/4 of the PSOW population is male, but we're supposed to be drawing Phantasy Star stuff here folks, not models.

End of rant.

I'm laughing at the thought of a FOnewmn wearing a banana hammock.

Uncle_bob
Jul 26, 2006, 07:20 PM
To be flat-out honest, most of the artwork uploaded to FanWorks is horrible. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

I just post a drawing and I gtfo.

navci
Jul 26, 2006, 07:48 PM
On 2006-07-26 15:49, TheyCallMeJoe wrote:
I'm having an issue with the Swimsuit Contest in FanWorks. The last time I checked, the entries were supposed to be illustrations of PSO characters having fun at the beach...NOT illustrations almost exclusively focusing on barely-clothed women strutting around doing nothing but look pretty.

Well. The contest itself only had requirements on "swimsuit" and PSO related. Sort of. With that kinda loose requirement you know you can pretty much draw some girl in a swimsuit, and make her newman. Voila! Requirement fullfilled. Given that most populations are dudes, young, teen dudes nevertheless. Their imagination really is only capable to half naked ladies. Okay, I don't get to talk, because that's what my entries is going to be, sort of. ._. But I already have plans for a man-ass. Just cuz.

While I hear you loud and clear, teens love boobies. End of story. Not much can be done about it.

Solstis
Jul 26, 2006, 08:13 PM
I ignore FanWorks about every other week. By the time I come back, everything is new and fresh!

Jehosaphaty
Jul 26, 2006, 10:44 PM
This rant makes me chuckle.

Alielle
Jul 27, 2006, 04:09 AM
You're not alone. (http://www.pso-world.com/article.php?thold=0&mode=nested&order=0&sid=1530) To be fair, there have been a few non-cheesecake entries, and I really hoped that would become the trend, but I guess I was wrong. I've got a fun pic or two in the works that'll definitely go against the grain though. >:}

I'm gonna be really mad if a drawing of some chick traced from Playboy with elf ears slapped on gets the most votes.

Sayara
Jul 27, 2006, 07:29 AM
You know thats gonna happen.

Daikarin
Jul 27, 2006, 11:15 AM
Let them draw women if they want.

Wtf? Swimsuit contest?

Wyndham
Jul 27, 2006, 11:17 AM
On 2006-07-27 09:15, Daikarin wrote:

Wtf? Swimsuit contest?

yeah, thats what i thought too.

navci
Jul 27, 2006, 11:30 AM
On 2006-07-27 09:15, Daikarin wrote:
Wtf? Swimsuit contest?

You know it's bound to happen! XD

roygbiv
Jul 27, 2006, 11:45 AM
On 2006-07-26 17:19, Shigecki wrote:
I'm laughing at the thought of a FOnewmn wearing a banana hammock.

HAWT.

In other news, I am under the impression that fanworks is becoming more dangerous than FKL. What is that all about?

TheyCallMeJoe
Jul 27, 2006, 05:32 PM
Nothing is more dangerous than FKL http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Well, PSU General comes close -_-. At least you can post something in FanWorks and not have it almost instantly buried in a rockslide of other threads http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif.
@Daikarin + Oran:
Apparently you don't visit FanWorks often http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Wyndham
Jul 27, 2006, 05:57 PM
no, i said THOUGHT, not think.

Lone_Wolf_Nasca
Jul 27, 2006, 07:03 PM
I would really love to give more to Fanworks but inspiration within me is rather...

Lacking, to say the least. Who knows ? I might just uptade my last two fics within this year.

NOT !! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Edit: typoes -__-

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lone_Wolf_Nasca on 2006-07-27 17:05 ]</font>

InfinityXXX
Jul 28, 2006, 01:44 AM
I was actually going to participate in that contest but my Scanner broke so I won't be posting anything soon. I'll take this break ar a chance to improve on drawing hands.

TheyCallMeJoe
Jul 28, 2006, 02:10 AM
@Lone_wolf + InfinityXXX:
Doh. I think my message came across wrong. I didn't say that the stuff in FanWorks was terrible, just that contests like these involve more than just barely-clad Newmans. I hope that clears things up -_-.

Sayara
Jul 28, 2006, 08:02 AM
It'll end soon; then it'll return to its usual no posts situation.

trypticon
Jul 28, 2006, 10:38 AM
On 2006-07-28 00:10, TheyCallMeJoe wrote:
@Lone_wolf + InfinityXXX:
Doh. I think my message came across wrong. I didn't say that the stuff in FanWorks was terrible, just that contests like these involve more than just barely-clad Newmans. I hope that clears things up -_-.

But.. so much of the stuff in fanworks IS terrible.

HUnewearl_Meira
Jul 28, 2006, 03:15 PM
Actually, a great deal of the entries I've received thus far haven't featured women at all. I don't have the entries in front of me at the moment, but there've been several featuring robots, and at least one I can think of off hand that featured Flowen. Most of the entries have been humor-oriented, and honestly, those stick out in memory a bit better.

The only thing that disappoints me is that everything thus far has been from either PSO or PSU. I'd like to remind everyone that the criteria calls for anything from the entire Phantasy Star franchise, not just the two latest additions.

TheyCallMeJoe
Jul 28, 2006, 04:21 PM
But.. so much of the stuff in fanworks IS terrible.
Heh, I tried to remain neutral but....yeah.. You have a point. A lot of the time I comment to be nice. You can't call me hypocritcal though, because I acknowledge the fact that my illos are terrible as well. There are few people in FW who I am generally excited to see posting, among them being Ancient, Uncle_Bob, and Tingle. If I left anyone else out, don't take it personally, it's all subjective.

HUnewearl_Meira
Jul 28, 2006, 05:28 PM
A lot of the artists in Fan Works are rather new artists, and many of them post their work to get critiqued. I'll point out to you Joe, that when Tingle, FOAtHeart and Skuda started posting, their work wasn't really all that flattering. Over their time in Fan Works, they've made remarkable progress. Newer posters, such as Shiroryu, Oni140 and Dre_o have all improved their skills noticeably in the fairly short time that they've been with us (especially Shiroryu, who seems bound and determined to develop good skills in record time).

Fan Works isn't just a place to impress others with what you can do. It's become a place to learn and grow; to share your progress with others. We've got a number of talented artists who take time to review the work of others, and provide advice. Granted, this is no art school, but it's become apparent that we've got the community necessary to make artists out of doodlers.

TheyCallMeJoe
Jul 28, 2006, 06:22 PM
Sadly, I overlooked such an obvious element of FanWorks....I apologize for whatever ignorance I presented in my previous post, but I do still stand by the fact that most of the work in FanWorks is not grade A material, even if a majority of the contributors are still honing their talents. I find it difficult to reply to some threads because of either of the following:

1.) I don't like it, but I feel obligated to contribute to the thread because I know that if I posted something I would like as much feedback as possible.
2.) It it just terrible, but they're beginning artists. Problem is, a lot of people take strictly criticism offensively...and I'm not going to lie and say I like certain parts of their pic or whatever. So it comes across as me being a bitch and them having hurt feelings because nobody likes their pic.
3.) Umm...yeah. Scantly-clothed Newmans.

And just to make it clear, I have nothing against developing artists. If I post a reply that's full of nothing but criticism, I'm not being a bitch. It's for your own good. I refuse to pretend to enjoy something, so compliments are only placed where I feel they are deserved. And if you don't get compliments, it doesn't mean you suck. It just means you have a little more ways to go.

I hope that made sense.

HUnewearl_Meira
Jul 28, 2006, 06:30 PM
Well Joe, that's the way it works. If you have advice to give, then by all means, share it.

Sharkyland
Aug 2, 2006, 01:17 PM
I know what you mean, but welcome to the world where video games begins to etch in our mind... the scantly clad women the more defensive she becomes. But of course, you wouldn't want to wear winter jackets near the beach though I dunno who's going to win, it's rather spread out.

I maybe a HUnewearl Lover, but I have my preferences like anyone else.

(Blah, I've been so swamped. -.-)

Abaru-FP
Aug 2, 2006, 03:23 PM
Being the 18 year old male I am, I'd rather see a girls in swimsuits instead of getting a cheap laugh from an artist going for the 'AGH MY EYES' effect. The humor in seeing something nasty in a swimsuit wears thin really quickly for me, and I can't see the originality in it.

As to the "state" of Fan Works...
I think its wrong to make anyone feel pressured into not posting their efforts just because they may not be stunning.

TheyCallMeJoe
Aug 2, 2006, 03:41 PM
When I said The Condition of FanWorks I wasn't referring to the quality of the work, I was referring to the content specifically in the Swimsuit competition area. I don't think anybody has pressured anyone to stop posting....am I wrong?