PDA

View Full Version : $8.95 a month in the US? the new EGM says why...

faceless
Oct 29, 2002, 11:57 AM
so i went and bought a modem and bba, then ordered the japanese pso... fuck $8.95 a month...

anyway, the new EGM's letter the month follows...

Hacker's Delight

(letter from Philip)

Is there any logical reason at all that can explain Sega's monthly fee of $8.95 a month for Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II for GameCube, considering:
a) The Japanese (JP) fee s roughly $12 for 3 months.
b) The PSO servers don't even save our character data and, as the past has shown, have had horrible security concerning hacking.
I have nothing againt online fees. I bought PSOv2 for Dreamcast, and had multiple Hunter's Licenses during the time that i played it. But a 2.25X rate hike over the JP version for even worse service is just inexcusable.

(reply from EGM)

Your points are valid, Phil, but they fail to see the whole picture. To get a better understanding of Sega's pricing policy, we asked Rich Briggs (senior product manager at SOA) to clarify. Rich says, "The higher monthly fee is necessary given the increased customer service and online network costs in the U.S. Japan, being a smaller geographic area than the U.S., has lower costs associated with it'so online infrastructure. Japan also tends to have less extensive customer service issues than the U.S. With respect to security, U.S. hackers were the primary cause of most of the problems with the Dreamcast version of PSO. There were not nearly as many problems with Japanese hackers, and Sonic Team was constantly forced to update the servers to counteract various U.S.-spawned issues. Therefore, there are added security costs for running the servers in the U.S., since the security has been improved dramatically over the DC version. So, in fact, the higher fee will actually lead to better customer service, better online maintenance and better security than the DC version, all of which are necessary given the reasons listed above. Finally, the monthly fee brings with it access to new downloadable quests, items and events."

Sput
Oct 29, 2002, 12:04 PM
Did anyone ever stop to think that maybe ST did the split versions with the dup bug on purpose? So that US hackers would be less prevelent on JAP servers?

food for thought

EDarkness
Oct 29, 2002, 12:13 PM
Well, I had mentioned this to friends while playing Version 2. There was so much crap going on in the original PSO, it was ruining it for everyone else. Something had to be done. If people would just act like they have some sense and play fair I'm sure the cost would have been a lot lower.

-Darkness

flyrobinfly
Oct 29, 2002, 12:17 PM
Sonic Team should be paying Baru and company for their, erm, "services", seeing how it provides them with a valid-sounding excuse to inflate the service fee as high as they'd like.

How exactly does America's physical size cause operating expenses to be higher than in Japan? I've been under the impression that bandwidth and what have you is vastly more expensive in Japan due to it's crummy network infrastructure - It's mobile communications that are more expensive in the U.S., if anything.

saffaya
Oct 29, 2002, 12:19 PM
I would put it in another way.
Item 1- They say ST designed hacker-proof servers (although the nastier attacks (NOL, PK) had nothing to do with the servers)

Item 2- ST ships the final game with a dupe bug

ROTFL. What a prowess ...

You don't need to put a bug in your game to separate servers btw.

Alielle
Oct 29, 2002, 04:09 PM
From what I understand, Philip's letter got chopped up pretty badly. Head over to the newsgroup alt.games.phantasy-star, where he posts, and you'll see his whole letter, which seems a lot more thought out than this version. Must be pretty annoying to have EGM edit your letter to death and say it "doesn't see the whole picture".

<-- newsgroup lurker

Anyway, the reply sounds like PR bull to me. It's not altogether unexpected, though... but instead of lying or making excuses at the last minute, they should just tell the truth and say, "We're doing it because people will pay it."

_xX_Frosty_Xx_
Oct 29, 2002, 04:22 PM
........what's that aroma I'm smelling? So prevelant.....I've smelled it before.......BULLSHIT. When we don't get new quests or anything like the JP version don't be surprised....customer service my ass.

Ness
Oct 29, 2002, 06:36 PM
On 2002-10-29 09:04, Sput wrote:
Did anyone ever stop to think that maybe ST did the split versions with the dup bug on purpose? So that US hackers would be less prevelent on JAP servers?

food for thought

I'm sure they did it on purpose. There is no possible way a big company like Sonic Team cabn ship a product without being aware of a bug.

The reason why they shipped it is unknown.

amoralist
Oct 29, 2002, 06:55 PM
Our quests always gets delayed, is that $8.95 gonna cover ST sponsored tournaments like JP had. I mean PC gaming can be worse, but SOA could do better than $8.95 a month just, JUST for clearing up the hacking problems. New items, quests, and event automatically come with the HL. If I SOA asks me to pay for the HL fees, they better translate the new events quickly and correctly or I'll be pretty pissed as a consumer (as I'm already pissed Sonic CD didn't make it, neither did Knuckles Chaotix, and Eternal Arcadia gets delayed and censored).

But SEGA had done good before, let's hope they can clean up their loads of shi.. I mean mess.

vaz9999
Oct 29, 2002, 08:34 PM
That reply was a bunch of garbage(from egm & sega), everyone knows that we don't get all the quests and the ones we do get we get way later. I personally played most of my quests in japanese because they could not release an english version in a timely matter. I bet there is still going to be a cheating problem in this version as well. The only way I would be satisfied with this new price is going to be if they actually had someone in the game hunting cheaters, which of course they are not going to do, so this is indeed a bunch of bullshit.

Lileya
Oct 29, 2002, 08:58 PM
On 2002-10-29 15:36, Ness wrote:

On 2002-10-29 09:04, Sput wrote:

food for thought

I'm sure they did it on purpose. There is no possible way a big company like Sonic Team cabn ship a product without being aware of a bug.

The reason why they shipped it is unknown.

First, let me laugh! ST ALWAYS does bad moves, a big company my ass...

Second, if it's even true it would be the worst move EVER! By doing that they pissed A LOT of customers! PSO GC was supposed to be cheat free and after only 1 weekend cheating already started! Plus, a lot of jp are pissed about this "new release" they have to get now!

Alisha
Oct 30, 2002, 01:12 AM
lol watch st rerelease the us version in japan as a limited edition or something LOL

Spy
Oct 30, 2002, 01:15 AM
Post-WWII America has always been a cashcow for Japan. Of course they are going to charge us more money.

Baka.

Rumina
Oct 30, 2002, 01:28 AM
and we can complain all we like, but were still gonna pay that 8.95 because they know we will. hell, they could more than likely sucker some of us for more.

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
Oct 30, 2002, 01:31 AM
They're gonna hook us in with the "use credit card to get 30-day free trial) and then laugh as we forget about time while playing PSO and rack up the monthly fees. =^_^=;

Danger_Girl
Oct 30, 2002, 02:03 AM
8.95 is comperable to what you would pay to play most mmorpgs. Dark Age of Camelot costs 12.95 a month, if you are paying month by month. Ever Quest is around 12 dollars a month for use of there servers. They're a wee bit cheaper if you pay on a quarterly basis, probabily pretty close to that 8.95 mark.
I guess I don't think 8.95 is that bad. Granted I don't have to go to mom and dad and ask them to shell out for it. Luckily when I was that age, we were still playing Super Mario Brothers.
Granted its cheaper to play in Japan, but I think that article does make some valid points. But in the end its a question of economics. They charge what we are willing to pay.

rbf2000
Oct 30, 2002, 02:10 AM
The principal rule of the economic system is that something is only worth what somebody will pay for it.

And if somebody is willing to pay a lot, then they can charge a lot. Another benifit of the capatilist system: if we think they are charging too much, we can just buy the product somewhere else. >_< Too bad nobody else is offering a HL...

CorneliusPower
Oct 30, 2002, 02:12 AM
I am in the same boat with Danger Girl. I feel fortunate to own my own credit card and simply not having to rely on mom or dad for the HL fee. $8.95 isnt too bad a fee. When i wasnt old enough to have a credit card I was whoopin' ass on Street Fighter in the arcade. so bottome line, $8.95, not too bad. Peace.

Agent_Reav
Oct 30, 2002, 01:12 PM
First it's $9... then in the next verion they bump it to $12... Then they charge us a damn phone bill amount of cash!? When when u ppl stop paying these ppl ur hard earned cash... Either you draw the line now or expect to pay absurb amounts of cash for it in the future.

IceBlink
Oct 30, 2002, 02:59 PM
So, following this... does this mean it will be free in the EU again like last time?

*grins and hopes... though it's not likely this time round*

^_^;

RuneLateralus
Oct 30, 2002, 03:06 PM
lol...unless Nintendo decides to kill the GC in the UK, it will...

Yeah it seems like a lot...especially if you play a bunch of other games that require fees as well. You save one buck in comparision to UO and AO, and if you are willing to pay for it, then go ahead and pay for it.

Hopefully, they can keep their promise of more security on it.

WeaponX3523
Oct 30, 2002, 03:10 PM
On 2002-10-30 11:59, IceBlink wrote:
So, following this... does this mean it will be free in the EU again like last time?

*grins and hopes... though it's not likely this time round*

^_^;

Yes it will be free in the EU when it is released, five years after every other market get it, as usual! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_chuck-ball.gif

RedFox
Oct 30, 2002, 03:32 PM
PSO was hardly free in the EU. if anything it cost more. average UK ISP flat rate costs are about £15 (which is about $20 off the top of my head), or local rate phone charge, 2p/min off-peak. a few hours play would eaqual $9 easily!! I'd take a HL for $9 a month any day!

rena-ko
Oct 30, 2002, 03:59 PM
hm....
the longer europe has to wait for their version, the more likely we wont have to pay any fee.
but this time i somehow doubt it...
well, wait and see, have a tea... -_-