PDA

View Full Version : This Whole "humars r teh noobmar" BS

DonRoyale
Aug 4, 2006, 12:23 PM
Remember that topic I started a while back on how everyone ranked their char classes?

Remember what happened to it? Well, allow me to reiterate...

The eternal debate that got the topic locked was when this happened:

On 2006-05-21 18:21, Saiffy wrote:

On 2006-05-21 14:32, Clover wrote:
Tier 3: Humar.

Just bad. Not a massive damage dealer nor are his techs good enough to make him a decent soloer or usefull in a party. Worst Hu/Ra in a party and one of the worst classes at soloing.
So you rank HUnewearls above it, which have less ATP and ATA for damage. And don't spout shit about level 20 S/D/J/Z. I'd rather have level 30 with a FO. Absoulutely stupid how blindly ingorant this is.

"humar r teh noobmar" grow up.

And to make a point. Play one first. "No way! Do you hear me? Humars suck" "Have you tried one?" "No, they suck"

yeah, smrt

[ This Message was edited by: Saiffy on 2006-05-21 18:27 ]

Now, before I rant, I will outline at length the advantages and disadvantages of the HUmar:

Advantages:

-Second highest ATP. HUcasts do more damage, but eat through mates quickly.

-Magic. Which is why I prefer them over HUcasts. It may be a deep-rooted bias for me, but I typically can't stand Hunter Androids. Why? Because they HAVE to use mates. Except for my HUdroids, all of my characters don't even TOUCH mates/fluids. My characters use HP/TP stealers. Now, call me stupid, but don't you think that's a better use of resources when soloing? You save meseta, mates, and fluids for when you're in real trouble. The problem is that with Hunter Androids, your best HP stealers are Gush Vulcans with hit%. This is because all the good Hunter Gush weapons are close range. What happens if you miss? Simple answer-your face hits the dirt. I don't even want to COUNT the number of times that has happened to me. (I also use Chain Sawd and Sange+Yasha with HIT as well) Therefore, that is why I prefer HUmars over HUcasts and HUcaseals.

-More balanced stats. It was said in the flame thread, and I will repeat it-WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH A LITTLE BALANCE. Having unbalanced stats may be good on a team, but what of those who either solo or play offline, hmm? What happens then, when there's no HUcast swinging his 30 Shifta at a 30 Zalured, Froozed enemy? Hmm? You get plain old HUcast, no S/D/J/Z, and have a lot more work on your hands. HUmars can solo better than HUcasts and HUcaseals, mostly because of the fact that they don't have to invest so much in resources. (And yes, I'm saying HUnewearl does beat HUmar in the fact that HUnewearl is a better soloer)

-What if you die? (On GC) I guarantee you, you'll struggle so badly after you die if you're using a Android hunter. You'll be mate-less, and broke. Meanwhile, as a fleshie, you just need a good HP/TP stealer and Resta. No struggle there.

-Zanba. A better soloing weapon for HUmars that is worlds away from being a good solo weapon for a HUcast. Zerk, Resta, Zerk, Resta. Then you have casts. Zerk, mate. Zerk, mate. But then, what happens if you run out of mates? GASP! (Buying more won't help; it's an embarassing waste of resources when you have a HUmar with Resta.)

-3084 Flowens. The weapon that makes HUmars a better class than HUdroids, as well as HUnewearls. Now, you may be saying "liek zomg HUnes have more TP so there better with flowens than HUmars, lol, humars r noobmars", however, why do you think HUnes have more TP? Yes, you guessed it, because they USE their TP for S/D/J/Z and Resta. Because the only technique HUmars really use is Resta, using the Spirit special of the 3084 Flowen's has no disadvantages for a HUmar, because he isn't spending massive amounts of TP Jaluring everything and resetting Shifta/Deband.

Disadvantages:

-The disadvantage that spwaned the whole phrase "HUmars are the n00bmars"-The fact that a lot of n00bs use HUmars. While that statement may be true, just because bad people play a class, does not in any way mean that people play a bad class.

-Sure, no S/D. Still, having the second highest ATP in the game and access to Zanba, Flowen's, and Charge Vulcans nullify it. Whoever said Shifta and Deband were NESCESSARY to make a class good? All Shifta and Deband do is increase your stats for a certain amount of time. Classes can survive without S/D/J/Z, but S/D/J/Z are just ocnveniences that make team fights easier.

-Crappy MST. Still, like I said earlier, you only truly need Resta. After that, the other spells aren't really useful, whether you're soloing or on a team. (Infact, on a team, you don't even need Resta. You can just turn that low TP into Spirit profit)

Feel free to add any in, so long as they are valid points. Don't do this (so I can warn you before the inevitable happens):

"liek zomg humars supply nothing for a team so they phail"

Now, there are two points to this rant:

1. What Saiffy said in the quote above. If you don't like a class, but haven't tried it, TRY IT BEFORE YOU PEG IT AS A CRAPPY CLASS. Notice that the people who defend HUmars have actually PLAYED AS THEM?! But no, the people who continously flame them continue to do so without actualy trying to play as them.

2. Just because a lot of n00bs play as HUmars, doesn't give you the right to flame them. I could walk in on a BB game and say "RAmarls are n00bs" because, it's true, because of you people who think RAmarls are some kind of class that soar above the others, tell everyone to use them because they're good. Now, out of all the people who use RAmarls on BB, not even 1% of them are good. Kef, Axel, Dana, and a couple of others. THAT'S IT. Everybody else just plays RAmarls because someone said "zomg they're the best class ever so play them". So, because of certain points made to flame HUmars, I technically have the right to say "RAmarls are the n00bmarls" because so many n00bs play as them. So, in short, hate the player, not the class.

On a side note, I don't actually hate RAmarls as much as you think I do. I'm not dumb, RAmarls are awesome at soloing and provide a lot for the team. However, the point of this thread wasn't to say that RAmarls suck. It was to refresh a debate where a lot of people ranked RAmarl #1 and HUmar #12. People who have actually played as HUmars defended them (PJ, myself and Snickerman were the three main people defending them, because we've all used HUmars) while everyone else was all "20 S/D/J/Z lol HUmars fail" The debate got a little out of hand and locked. I'm posting this to etch into your heads that just because a class has disadvantages, doesn't mean:

A) Those disadvantages make him absolutely unplayable
B) That in a team, someone can't cover for those disadvantages

Discuss.

TheyCallMeJoe
Aug 4, 2006, 01:12 PM
Mmmk I will be honest. I didn't even bother reading half of that because a lot of it is all subjective. I'll keep this short and to the point. Never liked HUmars, never will. Is it because no S/D J/Z? No...just...because I don't. I prefer stats that are extreme in certain areas of the spectrum, and then bring up the rest with a MAG and/or protector units.

At something something SereneShadows wrote:
-What if you die? (On GC) I guarantee you, you'll struggle so badly after you die if you're using a Android hunter. You'll be mate-less, and broke. Meanwhile, as a fleshie, you just need a good HP/TP stealer and Resta. No struggle there.

Not really. As long as you have strategy with a droid you're not going to be dying. Freeze/Confuse Traps + Unredued Sieze = pwned. I don't mind walking for about 30 seconds to the medical center and spending 10 Meseta to refill your traps. That's the only healing you have to worry about, because otherwise you can just trap the buggers and used Chain Sawd...it's a Resta in itself right there.

That's my opinion. I'm not dissing on HUmars, I just don't like em very much.

-EDIT-
I almost didn't recognize you http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif. Redid your avatar/sig, eh? Reminds me of Grumbly's http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TheyCallMeJoe on 2006-08-04 11:13 ]</font>

DonRoyale
Aug 4, 2006, 01:17 PM
Pheer the freaky Bhima glare http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Yeah, a friend from another forum led me to a text site, and Saiffy showed me how to encode everything. My profile couldn't fit all my chars, so I used my sig instead.

:

The healer there is godly. Still, It's not enough for me to like HUcasts.

Feelmirath
Aug 4, 2006, 01:33 PM
HUmars are one of those classes which work well in a group, which is the point of an ONLINE game.

Personally, I hate RAmarls. They're good for solo and all, but in a group, the other ranger classes are far better.

But you see, that's mah opinion. All classes have their advantages and disadvantages.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Feelmirath on 2006-08-04 12:23 ]</font>

Jaspaller
Aug 4, 2006, 07:15 PM
HUmars are one of the characters I created when I started PSO and still use to this day. I don't consider them to be n00bish because they actually DO take some skill to play like every other class. The S/D is a disadvantage but you can live without it. A little boost with S-red's blades or using the twin's special is enough to cover you for a good while until you get your next PB. Personally I could never get into playing a HUnewearl or RAmarl. Tried them both, but hated playing as them. I've never touched those characters again.

I do a lot of offline playing and a HUmar without S/D isn't that big of a deal. J/Z does a good job of covering for it and is better to have when facing certain enemies.

Daikarin
Aug 4, 2006, 07:17 PM
This isn't the average "OMFG WHY DO PPL H8 HUMARZ???!!!11 SO F-IN MAKES ME SAD! There, I feel so much better" rant - Not that there's anything wrong with venting, it's cool to see someone ranting with rationality, arguments and favouring discussion.

Don't know if they are, but back when I was in PSO HUmars weren't this underrated - If they're being, they shouldn't be.

Night_Raid
Aug 4, 2006, 07:49 PM
Well, don't i feel like the elephant in the thread, but in all honesty i've never really understood the whole HUmar bashing, to my knowledge, they have higher attack power than HUwearls, while on the other hand the HUwearls only have MST on HUmar, with a higher attack a HUmar would only need to use MST for restas and perhaps a zalure or jellen, hell ya never know. (note: as for the sig i made, i just felt like bringing back an old internet joke, is that so wrong?) And by the way, that quote you started with is grade A sig material! heh.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Night_Raid on 2006-08-04 17:49 ]</font>

rena-ko
Aug 4, 2006, 08:04 PM
you can beat the game with all classes. you can contribute to your team with all classes.
this might not be entirely true for cmode tho (where rangers are... well, a choice for gamblers).

something to lift your spirits: humar is the best char for a solid 2c3 run. can equip guns rightaway and does great damage with them.

besides this, i dont like their butts, but thats my personal opinion.

Ifrian
Aug 5, 2006, 12:56 AM
Also, for S /D you can use the s red thingy , that dual weilding weapon wich casts it.

roygbiv
Aug 5, 2006, 08:43 AM
No but seriously they have awful hair, which is more than enough reason to make me play a melee FOnewm.

rena-ko
Aug 5, 2006, 10:35 AM
On 2006-08-04 22:56, Ifrian wrote:
Also, for S /D you can use the s red thingy , that dual weilding weapon wich casts it.

bad idea, sreds special gives what... level 3 up to 7. better would be to rely on your mag's Mylla & Youlla PB. thats SD lvl21. slap a PB create on, like what a cast would do and youre set.

PJ
Aug 5, 2006, 11:30 AM
Actually rena, I've found even though it's a low level shifta, it does help quite a lot. (Note to self, it's a rant, not a discussion http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif)

I'd say about 2/3 of the RAmarls you mentioned were actually good, but hey, that's just me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Oh, and the resaon HUmar is better with Flowens over HUnewearl is because regardless of the amount of TP you have, they take away a percent of your TP, and not a fixed amount. So a RAmar is gonna use as many spirits before they, "Run out," as even a Force.

KaFKa
Aug 6, 2006, 03:06 AM
Are we back to this again?

AGAIN?

*sighs*

HUmars are a middle-ground class, and as such are more easily interchanged with a min/max class in a team. (enter casts and newman forces.) like HUnewearls, but without the newearls stupid soloability.

add in the fact that everyone and their mother has a HUmar, you get the idea that HUmar is the noob class, while all it is is 'just another'

my opinion, at any rate, although its stupid to be arguing about this... especially after everyone seems to have generally forgotten about it.

Feelmirath
Aug 6, 2006, 04:46 AM
On 2006-08-06 01:06, KaFKa wrote:
add in the fact that everyone and their mother has a HUmar, you get the idea that HUmar is the noob class, while all it is is 'just another'

Actually, there's almost twice the amount of RAmarls on BB than HUmars >_>

MsXiou
Aug 6, 2006, 05:19 AM
Any class can solo... my Hunewearl... chose her because I liked the look. The techniques I found were terrible and I saw no point in casting ANYTHING but resta and anti. When I got to level 60 or so, I accidently selected "foie" in my quickselect menu and noticed it moved--- fast. I figured out that techniques get far better at their high levels. It's very possible to get through the game without techniques. As a Hunewearl.

Although I do not like androids, they are not that bad. No magic is hardly noticable when you really don't need it in the first place http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Zarode
Aug 6, 2006, 10:57 AM
Heh, even though the droids have to go back for mates, picking up weapons and selling them kinda, I dunno, gives you meseta! Even when you die, as long as you picked up five decent things, you got enough money to get Dimates. I've always perfered droids to humars, but I have played as a HUmar. They are decent. They can solo. And they are buff as hell.

My friend plays his main as a HUmar, and with my HUcaseal we are unstoppable...till Ult Mines and up. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif Then I gotta break out my FOnewm. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

DoctorShasta
Aug 7, 2006, 11:43 AM
Can I veer off-topic for a second since it's closely related?

I'm trying to decide for PSU between a RAmar or a RAcast (I know there technically isn't classes but you know what I mean) so can anyone help me decide here because I had a RAmar and when I looked at his stat growth compared to other chars it didn't seem that great

Feelmirath
Aug 7, 2006, 12:14 PM
Well, PSU is gonna have stats nothing like that of PSO, so we might not be able to help you just yet >.>

Lord_Kratos
Aug 7, 2006, 03:39 PM
k i picked a HUmar cus i wanted to base my character off of stuff not because of stats. I believe you can go shove it if you think the HUmar is any less than that of any other class. you can solo fine. i play with my lvl 200 friend all the time and he says that having me around makes life so much easier. being a HUmar i have base stats for all. someone said that they could just raise a MAG to fill in teh gaps but as a HUar having the same all stats even higher makes it much better than any stupid HUcast. they get shocked to easily and i fyou want to raise a MAG you dont have to waste money buying mates. i go all teh way with only magic and use mates in a tight squeeze. fluids are mor expensive than mates you say well that may be true but magic works when other things cant. id say more but i feel as if i wasted time. pretty much to me all classes are equal, because you can solo with any class and they do very well on online as ive heard

Shiro_Ryuu
Aug 10, 2006, 11:46 AM
when I first played PSO, HUmar was my first guy. since then, whenever I play PSO of another version, my first character was always a HUmar. not because of his stats, his balanced growth rate, or because he was easy to use. I used because I like to slash things up and I like to be a human character as opposed to being a robot, period. I don't want to have to be some android or whatever, so HUmar it was. I also have a HUnewearl and I like playing as her as well. I just pick my characters out of personal taste.

Skorpius
Aug 11, 2006, 04:17 AM
I still used my HUmar despite people thinking they were dumb. I just skoffed at them because I knew all classes were equally inferior to FOmarls.

DezoPenguin
Aug 11, 2006, 08:40 PM
Truthfully, PSO is not a sufficiently difficult game that class matters. Any class can solo. Any class, played well, can excel. Sure, there are differences, but a good player with a crappy character will be far more useful than the best character in the world played crappily. For what I can see, HUmars get bashed for one of two reasons:

1. Noobish idiots gravitate to HUmars and RAmars., but more to HUmars. That's because noobish idiots tend to be young males who'd cut off their left testicle before playing a female character (no rip on young males; I'm ripping on noobish idiots), because HUmars can use swords (noobish idiots are also highly reminiscent of 8BT's Fighter), and because they're the first class on the list and therefore do not require the horrific effort of moving the stick down a slot or two to pick something else.

2. Novice players tend to gravitate towards classes that do one thing really well (I always played Chun-Li on the original Street Fighter II 'cause her speed helped make up for my crappy reflexes. Same thing.). HUcasts hit harder. FOmarls and FOnewearls blast things. RAmarls may be an "average" class, but the irony is that they do actually do one thing better than any other class, which is solo.

3. HUnewearls are just hot, which helps dilute some of the whining about them. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Seriously, it's nothing personal, just cultural.

Shiro_Ryuu
Aug 11, 2006, 08:47 PM
On 2006-08-11 18:40, DezoPenguin wrote:
Truthfully, PSO is not a sufficiently difficult game that class matters. Any class can solo. Any class, played well, can excel. Sure, there are differences, but a good player with a crappy character will be far more useful than the best character in the world played crappily. For what I can see, HUmars get bashed for one of two reasons:

1. Noobish idiots gravitate to HUmars and RAmars., but more to HUmars. That's because noobish idiots tend to be young males who'd cut off their left testicle before playing a female character (no rip on young males; I'm ripping on noobish idiots), because HUmars can use swords (noobish idiots are also highly reminiscent of 8BT's Fighter), and because they're the first class on the list and therefore do not require the horrific effort of moving the stick down a slot or two to pick something else.

2. Novice players tend to gravitate towards classes that do one thing really well (I always played Chun-Li on the original Street Fighter II 'cause her speed helped make up for my crappy reflexes. Same thing.). HUcasts hit harder. FOmarls and FOnewearls blast things. RAmarls may be an "average" class, but the irony is that they do actually do one thing better than any other class, which is solo.

3. HUnewearls are just hot, which helps dilute some of the whining about them. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Seriously, it's nothing personal, just cultural.

I see your point. and yup, HUnewearls are really hot, one reason why I have one.

Lord_Kratos
Aug 15, 2006, 04:46 PM
wow! nice.........um I said this i think but ill say it again. i base my characters off of stuff so thats why i am a HUmar. i made a HUcast and they kick butt also! i love my HUcast! i have a force also and a ranger so what i said earlier may have been a bit toward one side. I use pretty much every class myself.

Charmander02
Aug 22, 2006, 10:39 AM
Use a Humar if you want, it doesn't really matter cuz nobody is stopping you.

saturnihilist
Aug 27, 2006, 10:45 PM
On the whole tech. aspect, I know that I would kill to have a lv. 123 HUmar instead of my lv. 123 HUcast--just for Resta. Sure, you can rip anything apart as a HUcast, but you can only go as far as your dimates and trimates will take you. I know that you can telepipe and restock, but I can't describe the hell that is Ultimate Dark Falz with my HUcast. I think this whole HUmar hating is caused by inexperienced people both using them and hating them.

BogusKun
Aug 28, 2006, 03:18 AM
Using the word "noob" is "noobish"
Besides, hating the character won't help you win... if you suck with the character... then you're just not that good in the game as you thought you were http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

echo2
Aug 29, 2006, 04:12 PM
humars are not noobs in my opinion. before i started the game i tried out every single kind of person. in the end i decided on a Racast and a humar and i kick all my friends asses with both of them so humars are not noobmars....

REJ-
Aug 30, 2006, 10:53 PM
hate the player, not the class

Don't hate tha playa, hate tha game http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

But seriously, go ahead and use a HUmar, as long as you don't name him Sephiroth, give him white hair, and have some sword equipped.

Neith
Sep 1, 2006, 02:15 PM
Personally, Ive seen more terrible RAmarls than bad HUmars, though RAmarl does seem to be the choice of the n00b on Blue Burst.

HUmars have J/Z, and the HP to keep them alive. Lv5 Anti is enough for all but the worst statuses, and they have colossal ATP, second only to a HUcast. They have better ATA than HUnewearls, and the rest of their stats are at least average.

Like Dezo said, I think n00bs pick HUmar because it only involves pressing one button to select, rather than scrolling down to Ranger, or dare I say, Force. Also, think about it- Goku/Vegeta/Sephiroth/Cloud/insert zomg hero name here are usually the buffed-up warriors, which in PSO is most closely resembled by HUmars.

..Or a fat RAmarl, but that's buffed up in all the wrong ways.

Zippy777
Sep 1, 2006, 10:04 PM
I'm no expert, but my friend is a HUmar and he's proved time and time agian HUmars are usefull. Me personaly, i like HUcast

Zippy777
Sep 1, 2006, 10:04 PM
I'm no expert, but my friend is a HUmar and he's proved time and time agian HUmars are usefull. Me personaly, i like HUcast

Lord_Kratos
Sep 2, 2006, 03:44 PM
heh yah ive seen alot of those names for a HUmar like sephiroth and what not.

xxTrystanxx
Sep 9, 2006, 11:12 AM
There are sooooooo many Sephiroth clones on PSOX. And Cloud ones, too.

My fiance plays a HUmar as his main. Not because he's a n00b, but because he always makes 1 human male warrior-type in every RPG we play. This character has an elaborate backstory, and umpteen incarnations.

I confess most of the time I make characters for looks. I have seriously made characters top go around a specific weapon I found or a MAG I built, hehehe... (Like Iron Chef with the Wok and Frying Pan and a Burger MAG)

Personally I would rather have a HUmar around than a HUcast in tough situations, if only because they can at least use Resta on themselves when they are close to death. Or better yet, if they have higher than Resta 3, they might be able to help YOU when you are dying, unlike a HUcast who can only help you with Star Atomizers and we all know they are never around when you need them, LOL.

LOL, Where's Hypershot-X- when you need him? I think his 190-something HUmar with a Charge Partisan might have something to say, LOL.