PDA

View Full Version : Going to the Questionmarket

AzureBlaze
Aug 5, 2006, 03:00 AM
What is the Questionmarket?

Well, I mean besides 'an ad'. Sometimes while on PSOW a yellow triangle slides onto the page and proceeds to sit in the 'middle' of it for a while, then vanishes on its own. It would clog it up from reading the words, but I just read over/under it. This triangle of mystery also 'slides' when you scroll the page. It causes me to become curious (I never press it, because I dont want to take a survey, and am afraid it might produce more of itself if I do)

Is this something PSOW did on purpose to gather money to support itself?

How does it work?

It is not a pop up window or else it would get blocked...so what exactly IS it?

Does anyone else see it?

If another company (like those banners that get giant by accident sometimes on here) did it, it must be horribly complex to do something that runs on someone elses' web and then reports back to you when clicked like that thing.

It resembles to me a "Floating Box" which is a tool you can use in GoLive which I am just learning about and could be put to good/fun use possibly on my sites. These are page elements that can 'float' over other elements like pictures text boxes etc. and can contain all sorts of things, and even animate or be layered. Do you think it's a floating box? Was PSOW made in GoLive?

Obviously parts of it are transparent because you can't do triangles but even the invisible parts are clickable.

This isn't a complaint it is just a curiosity and possibly an inspiration to make some fun animated-ish content for my site if I figure out how to work the floating boxes of GoLive. If anywhere could explain this bermuda triangle, I figure it'd be here.

Ryna
Aug 5, 2006, 05:37 AM
On 2006-08-05 01:00, AzureBlaze wrote:
What is the Questionmarket?

Is this something PSOW did on purpose to gather money to support itself?

1. I haven't seen the ad in question, so I can't answer it.

2. If it was up to us, there wouldn't be any ads on the site at all. Also, Gamespy rules prevent us from using the site to make any money for ourselves. So it is purely a Gamespy thing.

VioletSkye
Aug 5, 2006, 01:57 PM
It's just a moving .gif. There are several ways to code a page that allows for images to move around, it's not very difficult. The easiest would probably be the Javascript move object commands.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-08-05 12:01 ]</font>

Ketchup345
Aug 5, 2006, 04:42 PM
If it is the ad I am thinking of; there should be an "x" near the top right of the ad. Clicking that will make the ad disappear without any problems (besides the ad coming up later, but that happens anyways).