PDA

View Full Version : Is online GC worth the risk?

Tesko
Aug 9, 2006, 11:34 AM
I've been missing my PSO fix and have been playing offline and playing some PSOBB but i really miss playing the GC version online. How bad has the FSOD'ing/Corruption/hacking become? The last time i went online was about a year ago and i wasn't even on for 5 mins. and some loser FSOD'd the lobby before i could even move. I don't want to risk losing my chars. and all the weapons/gear/mags that i've worked so hard to get. Just want to know is there any safe place at all to play online?

The-King
Aug 9, 2006, 12:01 PM
IF you want to keep your stuff, find a private server, even though it's illegal but it's better than being FSOD'd/Hacked or Corrupted. Am I right?

Tesko
Aug 9, 2006, 12:06 PM
So, it's still pretty bad on the ST servers? I don't know anything about those private servers so i guess im stuck offline still. Thanks anyway.

OneandtheSame
Aug 9, 2006, 12:09 PM
On 2006-08-09 10:06, Tesko wrote:
So, it's still pretty bad on the ST servers? I don't know anything about those private servers so i guess im stuck offline still. Thanks anyway.

The ST servers are worthless.

It's a playground for 12 year-olds who have recently discovered the magic of AR. Like the man said, the Private servers are better now. Much better.

Tesko
Aug 9, 2006, 12:13 PM
Not even the Japanese Blocks are safe any longer? Man, that is really sad. Why does ST continue charging the fee for online play when it's clear that they aren't even trying to correct the abuse of thier servers. What exactly is the $8.95 fee going towards? Certainly not maintaining thier servers.

rena-ko
Aug 9, 2006, 12:28 PM
keeping the servers up and running.

Rekitheforce
Aug 9, 2006, 12:42 PM
On 2006-08-09 10:09, Animeloser wrote:

On 2006-08-09 10:06, Tesko wrote:

The ST servers are worthless.

It's a playground for 12 year-olds who have recently discovered the magic of AR. Like the man said, the Private servers are better now. Much better.

Yes, down with the AR-using 12 year-olds!

soup_dragon
Aug 9, 2006, 12:51 PM
If you are FSOD'ed what exactly does it do to your character? Does it delete everything?? If so how to you stop it happening?

Rekitheforce
Aug 9, 2006, 01:00 PM
On 2006-08-09 10:51, soup_dragon wrote:
If you are FSOD'ed what exactly does it do to your character? Does it delete everything?? If so how to you stop it happening?

Yes, it takes a handful of your items, and it could corrupt your character's data as well.

Splash
Aug 9, 2006, 01:02 PM
It makes your character lose all unequip items you are holding and I think at times, corrupts your memory card, not to sure on that. It really sucks if you are carrying multiple things and then lose all of them because of FSOD.

Tesko
Aug 9, 2006, 01:02 PM
FSOD freezes your screen, sometimes causing you to lose unequipped items and having to re-start your GC. Corruption is far worse, causing your memory card to corrupt and you have to re-format the card so you lose everything that was saved to that memory card. Last i heard, if you go online on GC, you risk having your card corrupted (and other stuff), by losers using AR codes.

Rekitheforce
Aug 9, 2006, 01:06 PM
On 2006-08-09 11:02, Tesko wrote:
FSOD freezes your screen, sometimes causing you to lose unequipped items and having to re-start your GC. Corruption is far worse, causing your memory card to corrupt and you have to re-format the card so you lose everything that was saved to that memory card. Last i heard, if you go online on GC, you risk having your card corrupted (and other stuff), by losers using AR codes.

That's kinda what I just said...

yournamehere
Aug 9, 2006, 02:53 PM
ST servers are fine,not as much fsod/hacking as youd think,unless you tend to hang out in the 1st ship 1st block of US EU or JP,and playing in unlocked games..then fsod is pretty much a given and your just asking for it then,play it safe ask around,youll meet some good people,as for free servers,i dont trust them,and they warn you when you log on if anythings happens its not their fault..choose what you will but ST is still alive and well.

soup_dragon
Aug 9, 2006, 03:31 PM
Ok i'm going to sound like im idiot asking by what are ST servers? (Sonic Team??) Also can you avoid corruptions by using an offical memory card??

Rekitheforce
Aug 9, 2006, 05:01 PM
On 2006-08-09 13:31, soup_dragon wrote:
Ok i'm going to sound like im idiot asking by what are ST servers? (Sonic Team??) Also can you avoid corruptions by using an offical memory card??

Yes, ST means Sonic Team. And no you can't avoid corruptions online by buying an official memory card (or else everyone would have one).

merrycherry9
Aug 9, 2006, 08:15 PM
On 2006-08-09 12:53, yournamehere wrote:
ST servers are fine,not as much fsod/hacking as youd think,unless you tend to hang out in the 1st ship 1st block of US EU or JP,and playing in unlocked games..then fsod is pretty much a given and your just asking for it then,play it safe ask around,youll meet some good people,as for free servers,i dont trust them,and they warn you when you log on if anythings happens its not their fault..choose what you will but ST is still alive and well.

Ya everyone is always saying you'll get fsod a lot but its not really true. Sure you'll probably get fsod but you just have to watch out for people who are know for fsoding. Optimus Prime is the main one you have to watch out for http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rant.gif I believe its worth it to get online until psu comes out. The weapons you can get online are pretty cool and the quests are too http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

PMB960
Aug 10, 2006, 01:43 AM
FSODing can only corupt your character data if they do it while the game is saving. The only person I see FSODing is OptimusPrime but I think he does that for a living. The easy thing to do is to find friends you can play with and do not take any extra weapons that you consider valuable with you into the lobby. Create a password and start the mission as quicky as possible so that nobody else can screw up your game. Also I am legit and would be willing to play as long as you are legit too.

Tesko
Aug 10, 2006, 09:21 AM
Sounds cool PMB960. I am legit, have been since the DC days. I might just take my chances of getting online again and trying to find the safest ship/block that i can if there is one. I'm not worried about the FSOD, it's the corruption that concerns me
Hate to lose all of my chars. and items.
Send me a pm and let me know what block/ship you play on. I'll probably re-new my HL sometime today.

PSOPRINCE
Aug 11, 2006, 06:32 PM
so how can u tell which servers are bad and are bound to get u fsoded?

DonRoyale
Aug 11, 2006, 06:44 PM
If you're into the idea of 12-year olds who are so ridiculously stupid they take their childish anger out on people by deleting hundreds of hours of blood, sweat, and tears, then by all means, take the risk, go online, and enjoy the ST servers. The ones that are never updated, taken care of, or even given a second glance. Have fun! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SereneShadows on 2006-08-11 16:46 ]</font>

PSOPRINCE
Aug 11, 2006, 06:49 PM
hoooray for the sacasm it aint fair i only want it for galeons shot towards the future, deal with black paper and the better exp *sigh*

DonRoyale
Aug 11, 2006, 10:21 PM
Black Paper's Deal is on BB...>_>

DarthMegatron
Aug 12, 2006, 02:01 AM
Wow. Is it really that bad? I was thinking of going online now that I found out a way you can use private servers without the need of an Action Replay. I'm telling you, I'm one of those people who definately does not like starting over, and I especially wouldn't want my whole memory card deleted or corrupted. It's a shame really.

And what's this about better experience rate online?