PDA

View Full Version : PS3's True, undeniable fate....Done all in paint olo

Nitro Vordex
Aug 10, 2006, 09:19 PM
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n185/nitro_vordex/PS3GotPWNT.jpg

R.I.P Ps3...Take this, Sony! You money hungry b*st*rds!

Roffkaiser
Aug 10, 2006, 09:39 PM
I have never seen people get so mad over something like this....

VioletSkye
Aug 10, 2006, 09:56 PM
Nitro_Vordex, are you sure you really made that, because to me it looks professionally done. Don't try to take credit for some artist's hard work http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Nitro Vordex
Aug 10, 2006, 10:07 PM
On 2006-08-10 19:56, VioletSkye wrote:
Nitro_Vordex, are you sure you really made that, because to me it looks professionally done. Don't try to take credit for some artist's hard work http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Olo! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

PandaMasterX4
Aug 10, 2006, 11:03 PM
Dude, I still find people that want to buy a PS3.

I'm like wtf?

First thing I mention: It's 600 dollars.
Response: I know, i'll charge it on my card

Second thing: One in every 5 cell processors are bad
Response: I'll buy the warrenty

Third thing: Sony never made a good first generation product
Response: I'll take my chances

Fourth thing: Remember what happened to your first gen ps2?
Response: I'm sure it'll be fine this time.

WTF sony fanboys are real idiots.

Roffkaiser
Aug 10, 2006, 11:52 PM
well I do have a problem with fanboys but all of those problems you bring up are pretty easily fixed. You will have problems with all the next gen systems for the most part.

First thing:600 dollars
Response: Over the long term, that is less than the 360

Second thing: One in every 5 cells are bad
Response: Thats why there are more cells in the system than it uses, redundency

Response: I am guessing you are talking about games, which if so, there are some pretty good games that I am looking forward to at launch or within a month of it

Fourth thing: Remember what happened to your first gen PS2?
Response: Um yeah it died last year, just like my Xbox though my NES still works

For the most part people who whine about the PS3 just can't afford it or don't want it, so stop whining if you don't want it, all fanboys are idiots. Now before people start calling me a fanboy, just know that I buy systems for the games, not the systems, and I will have all 3 next generation consoles, and all have problems that are equally valid.

Soinkus
Aug 11, 2006, 12:28 AM
Yes, but by that time, 360 should have it's problems worked out. Wii, if following route with past Nintendo systems, should be solid.

PS3 is more than just a gaming system. It has an assload of extras in it, which puffs up it's price.

That is why alot of people are not happy about it.

They want a 3rd generation playstation, not a neutered laptop.

If Sony is not careful, the PS3 could go the same route as the N-Gauge.

And I would love for you to show where you habve seen the balance in the bank accounts of "most" of the people who dislike the PS3.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Soinkus on 2006-08-10 22:29 ]</font>

Blitzkommando
Aug 11, 2006, 03:38 AM
Great job there Cojack.

In any event there are going to be people that will put down $600 for a system another $150+ for games to go with it and who knows how much more for accessories, like keychains, controllers, VGA adapters... Sure it won't do so well with such a high price tag, but it will sell. If Sony can pull through with this monster of a system (talking mostly about size, not capability afterall it is bound to get the "Xbox jokes" seeing as it is the largest of this generation. The controller already inherited the Xbox jokes only instead of size it's about "LOLZ BOOMBERANG") it shows they have really good marketing and people have a whole lot more disposable income than originally thought existed.

In any event, I'm steering clear of Sony products for a while due to their rather tasteless business practices. I don't mind big companies but I do mind when they support things I don't believe in and don't agree with. Their rather fanatical approach to digital rights management is my primary concern.

Though, when they want to they put out a really good product. For instance, I have a Sony Trinitron 14" monitor circa 1984 (approximately, give or take a year or two) that is still running on the original tubes and has moved three times now. The picture is great, and although it is closer to a television by today's standards (no VGA obviously) it was an awesome monitor for our Apple IIe. (which apparently was stolen in the last move. Go figure they steal the 1983 computer but not the software for it, of which there are several hundred disks)

But, then they do stupid things and make rather, well, crappy products. The first generation PS2s for example were chock full of problems. Obviously not all were fatal to the system, but there were plenty of those reported as well. I decided to wait out and get a PS2 around mid-2004. I've not had a problem with it yet, albeit I don't use it nearly as much as even my SNES, but I do use it. One controller did go out for it, but the other works fine.

Anyway, Sony can make a good product. Whether the PS3 is one of those is yet to be seen. But it could very well be the difference between a three-party console war and a two-party console war. We shall see once they finally are released, whenever that happens to be seeing as right now it is essentially 'vapor-hard-ware' with these setbacks that are seemingly popping out of every nook and cranny.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Norvekh on 2006-08-11 01:40 ]</font>

Skuda
Aug 11, 2006, 05:34 AM
I remember watching an interview with John Carmack not too long ago where he totally dissed the PS3 from a developer's standpoint. One of the main quams was about the 5 processors, which will take frustrating ammounts of code to get the game engines to work properly. Not to mention the developer kits are severly expensive.

I've never been a big microsoft fan (nor an X-box fan), but I must say, I'm tempted by the 360, now that we've heard about the PS3. Dead Rising is going to be a huge pusher for 360 consoles.

The Wii, although less powerful and a little most frustrating to program, will have developer kits at a price around $2000. To game companies, this will be like getting it for free, compared to the other system dev. kits which are around $20,000.

Anyway, yeah. Not many people are pleased with the PS3 so far. If you're going to use all it's extra features, it would be a worthy investment. As a pure gaming console... that's a lot of cash to be forking out.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skuda on 2006-08-11 03:36 ]</font>

Roffkaiser
Aug 11, 2006, 05:46 AM
On 2006-08-10 22:28, Soinkus wrote:
Yes, but by that time, 360 should have it's problems worked out. Wii, if following route with past Nintendo systems, should be solid.

PS3 is more than just a gaming system. It has an assload of extras in it, which puffs up it's price.

That is why alot of people are not happy about it.

They want a 3rd generation playstation, not a neutered laptop.

And I would love for you to show where you habve seen the balance in the bank accounts of "most" of the people who dislike the PS3.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Soinkus on 2006-08-10 22:29 ]</font>

The 360's price is pro-longed over 5 years to reach around 800 or so dollars with upgraded DVD drive, Hard drive, and xbox live just to put it on par in those categories with the PS3 which will have a larger hard drive, blu-ray, and online service for 600 dollars. Smarter marketing on microsofts side, so if you really want to talk about smart marketing you need only look at xbox live where people buy every game possible just to increase their gamerpoints.

As for me knowing peoples budgets, I don't but common sense tells you if someone complains about costs, costs is an issue with them. I myself am willing to pay 600 dollars for some of the best games, and a system that will most likely have the largest library of games(already has 200 named games).

As for people thinking it won't sell, you are miserably mistaken, it will sell out just like the 360 did just because it is the best and newest thing on the market. I mean you don't have enough units to meet the demand, so of course by using my feeble knowledge of economics consumers will be willing to pay more for the product.

And whoever thinks that the market will go from a 3 party market to 2 party market needs to just think about the fact that the Playstation will sell well in Japan, and it will sell moderately well everywhere else. The 360 will sell moderately well everywhere else and poorly in Japan. And the Wii will sell well period and is cheap to produce. So I doubt we will see a 2 party market for a VERY long time.

Tweengo
Aug 11, 2006, 07:58 AM
Teletext (you'll know what I mean if you live in the UK) says some other developer has cancelled some games bar one for the PS3, one called the Black Blade I think, due to the cost of development http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Another nail in the coffin for Sony hopefully. I hope the Wii gains more support, and 360 owners choose Wii over the PS3 (no I ain't a fanboy, I just want to see Sony fanboys eat their words over the PS3 being the best). Also, some Sony guy called Ken, says the PS4 (yeah, they're talking bout that already) won't use discs, but would be an online only console. I think that will put future gamers off.

Blue-Hawk
Aug 11, 2006, 08:07 AM
On 2006-08-10 22:28, Soinkus wrote:

Am I the only one that was thinking more on the lines of SNK and their overpriced Neo-Geo?

Roffkaiser
Aug 11, 2006, 08:44 AM
On 2006-08-11 05:58, Tweengo wrote:
Teletext (you'll know what I mean if you live in the UK) says some other developer has cancelled some games bar one for the PS3, one called the Black Blade I think, due to the cost of development http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Another nail in the coffin for Sony hopefully. I hope the Wii gains more support, and 360 owners choose Wii over the PS3 (no I ain't a fanboy, I just want to see Sony fanboys eat their words over the PS3 being the best). Also, some Sony guy called Ken, says the PS4 (yeah, they're talking bout that already) won't use discs, but would be an online only console. I think that will put future gamers off.

That would be Fromsoftware that cancelled two of its games. Which they are still planning to make their most popular game, Armored Core for the PS3, I think developers right now are thinking it may be too risky to try releasing average games without a brand name to back them up.

Allos
Aug 11, 2006, 10:39 AM
On 2006-08-11 03:46, Roffkaiser wrote:

As for me knowing peoples budgets, I don't but common sense tells you if someone complains about costs, costs is an issue with them. I myself am willing to pay 600 dollars for some of the best games, and a system that will most likely have the largest library of games(already has 200 named games).

Which is fine for you if want to pay $60 to $100 bucks per game.

As for people thinking it won't sell, you are miserably mistaken, it will sell out just like the 360 did just because it is the best and newest thing on the market. I mean you don't have enough units to meet the demand, so of course by using my feeble knowledge of economics consumers will be willing to pay more for the product.

As for this, it probably will sell out, but then come the post-launch shortages. Considering its holiday season release, I think they 360 and the Wii (because of its price tag) will pull ahead in this field. And a little game called Gears of War is being released on the same day as the PS3, and if I remember correctly, "Microsoft has bought a lot of advertising space that Sony could use...and needs".

Solstis
Aug 11, 2006, 10:51 AM
I can see owning two consoles, but 3 seems a bit much.

That's like, 4-5 months rent at my friend's apartment. :/

PandaMasterX4
Aug 11, 2006, 12:01 PM
Sony has the mentality that, "doesn't matter what we make, you'll buy it."

I hope they suffer for that. I was going to buy a PS3 but after that and their mark up...

Old anti drug campaign: Just say NO!

Wyndham
Aug 11, 2006, 12:15 PM
On 2006-08-11 10:01, PandaMasterX4 wrote:

I hope they suffer for that. I was going to buy a PS3 but after that and their mark up...

Old anti drug campaign: Just say NOES!

OH NOES!
I hope Sony loses many of their fans. they're overconfident, undehanded, and they smell like the nursing home's septic tank.

PandaMasterX4
Aug 11, 2006, 03:09 PM
On 2006-08-11 10:15, Oran1324 wrote:

On 2006-08-11 10:01, PandaMasterX4 wrote:

Old anti drug campaign: Just say NOES!

OH NOES!
I hope Sony loses many of their fans. they're overconfident, undehanded, and they smell like the nursing home's septic tank.

Sony won't be losing their hardcore pawns like usual. To them the price tag doesn't matter, even if there is no good software available. Is our current generation ready for a new DVD format? I doubt it. Sure the rich will be able to and will have one, but the average household will be the exact same way as they were with PCs 11-12 years ago.

I say in 2 years, if prices drop to a reasonable price, then you'll see more sales.

The problem with the PS3 is that, people want a gaming machine, not a full entertainment computer. That is what pushed away the masses. Did you know Sony is already in development for the PS4?

Skett
Aug 11, 2006, 03:20 PM
True, Sony has become cocky, big headed, and, well, like Nintendo before the N64, but it seems a little arrogant to believe that they are going to make as big of a fall as many are predicting. I don't deny that Sony is going to have problems with the high price and their competitors doing better than before, but PS3 will sell out at launch and it will be the hottest item the following Holiday Season, no question.

Oh yeah, if anyone wants to see pictures of PS3 compared to other consoles, click me! http://boards.1up.com/zd/board/message?board.id=egm_disc&message.id=769667

Eihwaz
Aug 11, 2006, 03:25 PM
I'm never one to rush out and buy fancy new equipment the day it comes out. When Xbox came out, my friend had one within days of the release, and I very much enjoyed games like Halo and Jet Set Radio Future. I didn't get my own Xbox until about two years ago, at Christmas.

By waiting a while, you can be more sure that your system will not have annoying defects, like bugs/glitches. Further, all the best-selling games on that system will be available for much cheaper. I got Dead or Alive 3 (with Christie box art, w00t), Halo, and Genma Onimusha all for $20 bucks or less. In fact, I think there are only two Xbox games I paid the usual full $50 bucks for, and that would be Halo 2 and Fable. And, though this didn't really happen with the other systems, by waiting on Xbox, I got the superior Controller S by default, which is awesome.

That being said, I currently have no interest in plopping down any large sum of money for a PS3 now, or at any point in time in the future. On the other hand, I can see myself owning an Xbox 360 at some point, if only for a handful of games (namely stuff like Dead or Alive 4, Dead Rising, and the inevitable Halo 3).

I already intend to pre-order a Wii and get one the day it comes out. Does that count as hypocrisy? If it does, I'm sure playing Red Steel and Super Smash Bros. Brawl (eventually) will make me feel better about selling out my standards. Or something? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

PandaMasterX4
Aug 11, 2006, 03:39 PM
I don't see the PS3 as the hottest thing this holiday season. Will it sell out? There is no doubt about that. When you're able to pump only 200,000 worldwide, you have a guarentee that they will all sell. I HIGHLY doubt there will be such high demand for it due to the lack of good software at launch. Currently, the only thing I can see going for launch titles on it is GTA VI (which is a damn good launch title IMO).

Nintendo will out sell sony for the sheer factor that they'll have 2mil at launch (that's still a tiny amount honestly). The reason why Nintendo this time around will be hot at launch is over 30 launch titles (Zelda, Metroid, Dragon Quest being amoung them) and over 300 launch titles on the virtual console. It's a cheating tactic true, but when you're able to unite old schoolers, current gen, and non-gamers, you have more of a chance on selling more due to low cost.

The below 250 price tag is Nintendo's best weapon. If the system was 300, 400 or so, you know it wouldn't be getting this much attention.

Foxix
Aug 11, 2006, 05:15 PM
Eihwaz, no thats not hypocrocritical of you at all, I never trusted any first gen systems except Nintendo's. My xbox is starting to become a bit noisy and a little more laggy, My PS2 I traded in for a new slim one because of a very odd disc tray opening sound. My gamecube, N64, and my old NES(well except for this one I opened it up and tried to clean some of it... the top doesn't fit quite right on it now >_<) are all in perfect condition, work well, and just need some rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs to clean out kirby's adveture once and a while.

I know it sounds like fanboyism but Nintendo's products are undeniably high quality products.

Dangerous55
Aug 11, 2006, 05:58 PM
I'd like to own them all, but 600 dollars is alot for something that I will only play games on. But really, everything is too expensive. The price on everything is going up, for many reasons. Still I want a PS3, will I plunk down 600 in the first 3 months? Heck no. I'll buy it when I can get one for 350, maybe.

Best looking console in the "console war"...X-Box 360.

Roffkaiser
Aug 11, 2006, 09:41 PM
....do you own a 360 or are you just guessing at that, because I own one and I would say it would be Wii or Sony that is the best looking, then again no great games have come out for the 360 so I will have to wait for PSU, Gears of War(maybe), Huxley, and a few others before I really decide if the 360 looks to be the least fun to play.

Foxix
Aug 11, 2006, 09:50 PM
O_o Gears of War, Halo 3, Huxley, Dead or Alive, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, Oblivion, Dead Rising, new version of Burnout Revenge, Project Gotham Racing 3, and Perfect Dark 0. All of these are very nice titles... most of them are already out. Thats more than most systems have by the time they are as old as the 360. then again it's all about your personal taste and if what the 360 offers is not your cup of tea then why did you buy one?

PS3's titles are all looking decent, nothing really a must have except for maybe DMC4 or Hevenly Sword. All the other heavy hitters looked like crap at E3... *caughwarhawkcaugh* Killzone made no apperance and neither did DMC4

PS3's showing at E3 was crap and that was carried over to the console.

The crap is getting smellier the closer we get to it.

Roffkaiser
Aug 11, 2006, 10:01 PM
Well after playing half those games, I thought they would be great but they got boring really quick, I mean Perfect Dark is decent, but thats about all you can say about it, and it's online is populated by more kids than usual. Then you got GRAW, I am not even going to say much more about it than it has some of the most broken spawns I have ever seen in an online game. Oblivion, I liked but didn't have the milage that Morrowind did, but I attribute that to the auto-leveling of monsters which is the most retarded thing ever. Gears of war, 3rd person shooters with infinite ammo just put me off. Halo 3....need I say more than Halo 2? Dead or Alive, good game, got nothing negative to say about that, and the other games you listed or average much like Perfect Dark.

I mean really all the title for the 360 are average or you don't get much milage out of them, the reason I got a 360 is because of the thought of next generation, and to play with my buddies. Huxley looked good a year ago when i first started looking into it, but the more and more they release about it, I am getting more and more cautious about it. I just hope it is as great as i thought it would be a year ago so I can finally have a game that I will have fun playing for more than a month.

Akdov
Aug 11, 2006, 11:21 PM
I think Sony is making the same mistakes Nintendo made with the N64: cost, development time, and a questionable format not to mention overconfidence. I have always been a huge Nintendo fan and I also enjoyed Sega and believe that the Dreamcast was a great System. I may dislike Microsoft but I can't deny the XBOX 360 has provided some interesting games even though I still refuse to play any XBOX. On the other hand I never really did like Sony and I could never understand why Fan boys liked Sony so much. Sony has the name Playstation backing them so I can't underestimate their chances for success. In the end the I think that Third parties will influence their fate. Sony has always depended on Third parties and let's face it owns their success to them. Sony fan boys have stsrted to believe that Sony is invincible but all it would take is one or two companies like Square Enix and Konami to jump ship and the PS3 would collapse under its own weight. Couple that with an exspensive system a shortage of units bad public realtions lawsuits and a hefty 1.2 billion dollar price tag just to get their system out of the door and the PS4 might die before it's even out. Oh the whole policy Sony is trying to use about how you can't by used PS3 games(I a little fuzzy on this one and I think that due to legality Third parties can still sell used games) and there is more the Sony philosophies of you don't own the game or music or movies but the rights to play them may have negative repercussions and the consumer.

In any case I want to see Sony crushed and would find it particularly funny if they suffered the same fate as the Dreamcast the very system they killed.

In the end though I am going to have to much fun Playing my Nintendo Wii to notice what happens to Sony. The only question is what am I going to do with all that money I save?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akdov on 2006-08-11 21:40 ]</font>

Firocket1690
Aug 12, 2006, 12:11 AM
... Anyone ever thought about the strange fact that a standalone blu-ray disc player is about $1800
and the PS3 would sell for $600, as a videogame system, as well as a blue ray disc player?
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

whocares111
Aug 12, 2006, 12:30 AM
On 2006-08-11 22:11, Firocket1690 wrote:
... Anyone ever thought about the strange fact that a standalone blu-ray disc player is about $1800
and the PS3 would sell for $600, as a videogame system, as well as a blue ray disc player?
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Not to mention the costs of the discs themselves. I read somewhere that the PS3 games are supposed to be, at the cheapest, 80 dollars. Personally, I don't want to go spend 600 dollars for a platform and then have to pay another 80 just to use the freaking thing.

Dangerous55
Aug 12, 2006, 01:18 AM
On 2006-08-11 19:41, Roffkaiser wrote:
....do you own a 360 or are you just guessing at that, because I own one and I would say it would be Wii or Sony that is the best looking, then again no great games have come out for the 360 so I will have to wait for PSU, Gears of War(maybe), Huxley, and a few others before I really decide if the 360 looks to be the least fun to play.

No...out of them all, if the systems and games were released like yesterday. The only one I would spend the money on is the 360. I plan on getting one, it has enough great games already. Not that I don't want a PS3, just too much money, and my TV sucks so I don't care about Blu-Ray, HD, whatever. And the Wii, doesnt really interest me.

Roffkaiser
Aug 12, 2006, 01:59 AM
Well my TV isn't that great either, but if you haven't played all the 360 games that you consider great a lot first, you may want to. I have just had the problem with staying interested in them, the only 360 game I have played for very long is COD2, since it is almost impossible to play a seriously fun game of GRAW online due to the fact that you have 2 spawn points that don't move, so all the enemy does is make a beeline to them. The battles basically turn into a "who can camp the spawns the best" type deal. Chromehounds is pretty decent, though the single player is short and easy, and the multiplayer is having some growing pains, but if you like Mech games, I recommend that one when you get a 360.

Also from what I have played of the Dead Rising demo, it is pretty cool as well, just the whole concept is something i find interesting, and i will pick it up soon so i guess i recommend that as well. I am also looking forward to Enchanted arms and Lost Planet. So even though I may seem against the 360, it is mostly because I have a problem with how Microsoft buys every company that has a good idea and then destroys it....like FASA, Bungie, and several others. The system is alright as long as you don't get a first generation one (mine keeps overheating for no reason randomly) and there are a couple good games coming down the pipe.

As for the PS3, as long as those third party companies stay with it, like Square Enix and Fromsoftware, i will buy it, not to mention i want to see if Killzone ends up being much better than the first one.

The Wii really only has 3 or so types of games I really want, which would be SSBB, a F-Zero game if they release it, and Zelda games, but the price is low enough that i will pick it up and play those and anything else that looks interesting.

DoctorShasta
Aug 12, 2006, 12:50 PM
Haha well I think ps3 will be popular with all the insanely rich kids looking for something to spend all their money but I doubt it will do well with the rest of the gamers, as you can tell from that.....very well done drawing......some people feel outright scandalized by sony trying to make them pay that much to play games

Alisha
Aug 13, 2006, 06:43 AM
i'll be buying a ps3 reguardless of the price. why? FFXIII and Devil May Cry 4 thats already more games than xbox 360 and wii have that i care about.the only wii game im interested in is SSBB.

tank1
Aug 13, 2006, 09:20 AM
$600 for two games i hope the PS3 dosent do a dremacast for your wallets sake Alisha.

Alisha
Aug 13, 2006, 12:18 PM
i personally think the wii is stupid. i think the move to casual games is gonna stupfy games

Akdov
Aug 13, 2006, 08:48 PM
i personally think the wii is stupid. i think the move to casual games is gonna stupfy games

Why does everyone seem to think that Nintendo gamers are casual gamers and that Nintendo isn't interested in hardcore gamers. I have always thought of the Mainstream Play Station as having more casual gamers. Think about it walk into a game store and say you are interested in purchasing a game system and that you know nothing about video games and nine times out of ten you will probably be directed to purchase a PS2.

In any case all my friends who I consider Hard core gamers will purchase a Wii as their primary if not only system. Some might purchase a XBOX 360.

Nintendo is not "stupfying" games just offering an alternative to the style they created 20 years ago. The Wii has great potential and has expanded to encompass a bigger market not to exclude the dedicated gamers.

DonRoyale
Aug 13, 2006, 08:53 PM
On 2006-08-10 21:03, PandaMasterX4 wrote:
Dude, I still find people that want to buy a PS3.

I'm like wtf?

First thing I mention: It's 600 dollars.
Response: I know, i'll charge it on my card

Second thing: One in every 5 cell processors are bad
Response: I'll buy the warrenty

Response: I'll take my chances

Fourth thing: Remember what happened to your first gen ps2?
Response: I'm sure it'll be fine this time.

WTF sony fanboys are real idiots.

Thank you.

I olo'ed at the pic, BTW.

OneandtheSame
Aug 13, 2006, 10:13 PM
On 2006-08-13 10:18, Alisha wrote:

Why exactly do you think that? Nintendo is going to offer a new way to play games, and this is somehow stupid? Nintendo has a long history of making innovative features that sometimes do well(Nintendo DS), but other times tank(Virtual Boy >.< I still get seizures sometimes...). The Wii may seem out of step, but in the end, it is going to do exceedingly well.

It's going to be interesting to see how it does. I'll be buying one, likely within a few weeks of it coming out, and I guarentee I will have no regrets.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Animeloser on 2006-08-13 20:15 ]</font>

tank1
Aug 14, 2006, 02:23 PM
I personally think Sony is stupifying the games industry by constantly rehashing the same old ideas and nicking any others that seem good (Wii's controller). Also youve only got to look at the average PS fan in the UK to see all the chavs in their burberry, dragging their knuckles and whooping on about how great sony is.

Neith
Aug 14, 2006, 03:01 PM
If anyone is 'stupifying' the gaming generation, it's Electronic Arts.

Ive said before, I refuse to buy a PS3 at that price, just like I refused to buy an X360 from lack of interesting titles.

I'm still waiting on some more news about Wii titles, but its more likely a purchase than an overpriced PS3- especially knowing Sony's handling of business, and their recent disasterous build-quality (Slimline PS2s exploding from overheating, disk trays not closing correctly, misaligning buttons on the PSP, as well as blatantly copying Nintendo's movement-sensitive controllers).

As far as Im concerned, anything Sony brings to the gaming market is something to steer clear of.

To anyone buying a PS3: I hope it's as good as it sounds, and hopefully it'll be well designed/built.

PandaMasterX4
Aug 14, 2006, 04:00 PM
Having played all 3 systems at E3, Nintendo wins the cake hands down. This was even said by members of people in Microsoft. Hence the Wii60.

I want FFXIII (if it's better than X or X-2), DMC4, and MGS4, but why would I be stupid enough to purchase a $600 console for games that won't come out for 2 years plus? Seems... idiotic.

Sony isn't aiming to hardcore gamers, they're aiming to make money only. Microsoft even has better aim for the hardcore gamer.

Now it's true that Nintendo is aiming at casual gamers and non gamers, that doesn't mean they're excluding the hardcore gamer. Play zelda or Metroid or mario and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. Saying nintendo doesn't have enough empressive games for the wii, is exactly like saying "over 300 games is not a large enough launch."

Hardcore gamers are getting attention from nintendo with the vitual console and games like Resident Evil actually going to be using full use of the wiimote. Yes Capcom announced it at E3 but they didn't announce if it was 5 or a new installment.

"Playing is believe" is quite possibly the best way to put it. You can say anything you want about how it doesn't appeal, but putting a new aspect to FPS and sports games is just smart.

HUnewearl_Meira
Aug 14, 2006, 04:47 PM
What I'm seeing here, is three people defending the PS3 19 people expressing a general expectation of failure for it. I'm also seeing three people that make no clear indication on their stance. Provided that PSO World represents a reasonably unbiased crosssection of Sony's target market, we're talking about 88% --seven eighths-- of the consumerbase having little, no, or negative faith in Sony's coming product. Given these informal numbers, I think we can expect the PS3 to go down like the Jaguar.

I also would like to remind everyone that the "cell" technology isn't actually an advantage to the PS3 at all. Apparently the pipeline to these processors is so slow that Sony is telling developers to not even bother with them. The article discussing that was posted here a few weeks ago.

Personally, I favor the Wii as the system that I plan on buying. Between Nintendo's long-standing history of solid design and their impressive collection of strong franchises (Mario Brothers, Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Pokemon, etc), many of which have been responsible for defining the environment of the game community, Nintendo's offering just seems a clear-cut choice.

Dangerous55
Aug 14, 2006, 06:45 PM
Well I would be happy with one game for the 360, Elder Scrolls Oblivion. I know it is also on the PC but I don't got a DVD Drive and don't know how well it would run. Those games are amazing, they are a start to how games should be.

DarthMegatron
Aug 15, 2006, 03:57 AM
DMC 4, MGS 4, Sonic, etc. are not enough to make me want to buy a PS3. Especially with no vibration function and the same damn uncomfortable controller. (They never did lengthen the grips when it was made a Duel Shock.) If worse comes to worse, I'll get a 360 sometime down the line to play as my favorite blue hedgehog. And I couldn't care a rat's ass about Final Fantasy. The last several games are laughable and the last one I'd want to play is IX. The last solidly good one was VI. I want that Wii so bad I can taste it, heh heh. And it's a heck of a lot prettier than my Platinum GC.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DarthMegatron on 2006-08-15 02:00 ]</font>

Tweengo
Aug 15, 2006, 09:50 AM
Plus with the Wii, and you have no problems getting online, and you need your fix of Nostalgia, you'll have virtually years of gaming to do thanks to all the games you can download.

DLShAdOw
Aug 15, 2006, 12:27 PM
For those that haven't heard this, there will be a shortage of PS3's just like there were for XBOX 360's...EXCEPT WORSE. My gamestop told me that each store should get about 7-14 PS3's...7-14, thats ridiculus. They will have to be sold by some kind of lottery system, so even if yyou reserved it you might only get one by chance.

now tell me this class, what do we know about econonmics? When supply is down, demand goes...UP and when demand goes up...what goes up? Thats right price goes up. I' not suggestiong that the actual store price will change, but those things will carry a hefty price tag on ebay. and thats exactly what i'm gonna do, sell mine on ebay.

Akdov
Aug 15, 2006, 04:17 PM
I have noticed that most of the people who want to purchase a PS3 will wait for the price to go down. However this might not happen for a long time like until the PS4 comes out long time. Ken Kutaragi himself has made statements that Sony has no intention of dropping the price. If the price does drop it may be after the damage is already done and Sony cuts their losses.

So if you really want a PS3 you will probably have to pay $600.00 now or two years from now.

Alisha
Aug 15, 2006, 08:04 PM
On 2006-08-13 20:13, Animeloser wrote:

Why exactly do you think that? Nintendo is going to offer a new way to play games, and this is somehow stupid? Nintendo has a long history of making innovative features that sometimes do well(Nintendo DS), but other times tank(Virtual Boy >.< I still get seizures sometimes...). The Wii may seem out of step, but in the end, it is going to do exceedingly well.

It's going to be interesting to see how it does. I'll be buying one, likely within a few weeks of it coming out, and I guarentee I will have no regrets.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Animeloser on 2006-08-13 20:15 ]</font>

when i think of the types of games i'm most interested in the wimote just doesnt fit.(rpg's,fighting games,and some action games) i absulutely abhor games like nintendogs and animal crossing along with 80% of the games on DS.if nintemdo wants my buisiness on Wii show me Fire emblem show me a 2D kirby get me hyped about twilight princess and show a lot more of SSBB. the whole idea behind the wii mote is to attract gamers intimidated by a controller wich in turn turns me off.

Akdov
Aug 15, 2006, 09:20 PM
when i think of the types of games i'm most interested in the wimote just doesnt fit.(rpg's,fighting games,and some action games) i absulutely abhor games like nintendogs and animal crossing along with 80% of the games on DS.if nintemdo wants my buisiness on Wii show me Fire emblem show me a 2D kirby get me hyped about twilight princess and show a lot more of SSBB. the whole idea behind the wii mote is to attract gamers intimidated by a controller wich in turn turns me off.

Well don't forget that the first Final Fantasy game appeared on the NES and they had about two buttons and a D-pad. You do raise an interesting point to be honest my favorite games are Adventure and RPG and I am a little worried about how they might translate onto the Wii. I think it might take more time for developers to figure out certain genres than others.

The current titles coming out for the Wii cover a wide spectrum of genres action FPS platform adventure RPG tactic and so on. I do agree that fighting will be a tough one to do right.

Still I think Nintendo wanted to show at E3 that the Wii could make any type of game work and for the most part they succeeded.

Skett
Aug 16, 2006, 01:54 AM
On 2006-08-15 18:04, Alisha wrote:
if nintemdo wants my buisiness on Wii show me Fire emblem show me a 2D kirby

It's a stretch, I know, but the Virtual Console will undoubtably have older Kirby games. And I'll just assume that when you said "show me Fire emblem", you meant more info and media, because Fire Emblem is already confirmed for Wii. They even showed a few seconds of CG at Old E3.

Tweengo
Aug 16, 2006, 07:02 AM
The Wiimote isn't a stupid idea. Sony nicked the technology for their joypad, they plan to maybe develpo a remote similar to that of the Wii, and now even Microsoft have announced they may develop a motion sensor too for the Xbox or 360. If the Wiimote seems such a bad idea, why the heck did Sony nick the idea, and Microsoft announce they may make one too. I ain't lying 'bout it, I saw it this morning on teletext (sigh, you'll know what I mean if you live in the UK) Page 306 channel 4. After all, Nintendo IS all about innovation, and not being samey coughPS3joypadcough.

Luis
Aug 16, 2006, 09:11 AM
On 2006-08-15 10:27, DLShAdOw wrote:

now tell me this class, what do we know about econonmics? When supply is down, demand goes...UP and when demand goes up...what goes up? Thats right price goes up. I' not suggestiong that the actual store price will change, but those things will carry a hefty price tag on ebay. and thats exactly what i'm gonna do, sell mine on ebay.

Be extra carefull trying to sell your PS3 on ebay, not all the xbox 360 were sold at high price!!!!

DoctorShasta
Aug 16, 2006, 12:43 PM
I don't get why everyone gets so worked up about the Wii remote, for some games it will be really awesome you'll get to feel like your in it but games that you can't do that you just the GC controller. They never said they were going to make every game use the controller even SSBB one of the most popular games coming out won't use it, you can still use the controller but you also have the option of using the new and awesome one for other games.

Tweengo
Aug 16, 2006, 01:04 PM
Yeah I agree. The only game I'm concerned about is the new Dragon Ball Z game, the one currently out on the PS2. Apparantly, the Wii version will use the nunchuck and the wiimote, and you have to move them in different combinations. Bit confusing if you ask me.

Alisha
Aug 16, 2006, 06:49 PM
On 2006-08-16 10:43, DoctorShasta wrote:
I don't get why everyone gets so worked up about the Wii remote, for some games it will be really awesome you'll get to feel like your in it but games that you can't do that you just the GC controller. They never said they were going to make every game use the controller even SSBB one of the most popular games coming out won't use it, you can still use the controller but you also have the option of using the new and awesome one for other games.

i'll believe it when i see it since nintendo forced GBA connectivity on a lot of companies.

Dangerous55
Aug 16, 2006, 07:05 PM
It seems Nintendo is relying on other companies weaknesses other then strengths of its own.

Blitzkommando
Aug 16, 2006, 08:29 PM
People hated the analog stick when it came out on the Nintendo 64 and what is on every game system today? Out of the three in this generation the Wii is the only system that is able to pique my interest. Both the PS3 and Xbox360 are too rich for my blood for what they offer game-wise and planned game-wise. I can always count on the Nintendo systems to have a consistant line of games that I enjoy, most of them being first-party games.

Change is inevitable. As technology progresses we will have a greater potential product to create. This is called innovation. Out of those three companies, the only one that has shown any creativity with hardware has been Nintendo.

DoctorShasta
Aug 16, 2006, 09:30 PM
Sega did a lot of innovating with Dreamcast, then again that went down the drain quick, but I think that was more from lack of good games

Akdov
Aug 16, 2006, 09:40 PM
Sega did a lot of innovating with Dreamcast, then again that went down the drain quick, but I think that was more from lack of good games

Not to mention all the positive hype for the PS2 and the fact Sega was hurting financially from previous projects.

The Dreamcast certainly had some great games though Skies of Arcadia, PSO, Soul Caliber, and that skating vandalizing game Jet Set Radio or something.

Roffkaiser
Aug 17, 2006, 01:14 AM
On 2006-08-16 16:49, Alisha wrote:

On 2006-08-16 10:43, DoctorShasta wrote:

I am pretty sure it is official that you can use the gamecube controller, because the creater of SSB said that the Wiimote doesn't really work with his game so it wasn't going to support it like some other games.

i'll believe it when i see it since nintendo forced GBA connectivity on a lot of companies.

_Ted_
Aug 17, 2006, 01:09 PM
Just for fun: http://www.macspoofs.com/2006/08/10/ps3-vs-wii/

I'll definitely pick up the Wii at some point and probably an Xbox 360 in the semi-distant future, but unless I happen to win the lottery or come into some unexpected money and free time, I won't be investing in the PS3.

TheOneHero
Aug 17, 2006, 02:15 PM
Oh _Ted_, how you slay me!

That video is so funny, XD!

PandaMasterX4
Aug 18, 2006, 01:03 PM
On 2006-08-15 18:04, Alisha wrote:

On 2006-08-13 20:13, Animeloser wrote:

True, not a lot of SSBB was shown, but you're being overly skeptical of the wiimote. Look at the launch titles for shits sake. Do any of those titles look like titles such as "Nintendogs," "Animal Crossing," etc.

The reason why Zelda honestly plays better than any other zelda is how you interact with the game itself. Arrows and aiming the wiimote. Hack and slashing is still practically the same as if it were to use a controller. Dragon Quest is a launch title on Wii. ZOMG! The arguement is so stupid. It's honestly like saying, because the DS has a mic, and touch screen, every game is going to use it.

I'm not sure if you are aware of it, but developers are able to create games using: virtual console control, GC control, wiimote, nunchuck, lightgun, or any add on they want to the wiimote. Instead of having the mindset of "oh they made this console for non gamers," the real mentality should be, "they made this console for developers."

Alisha
Aug 19, 2006, 01:40 AM
let me make it simple. after the death of dreamcast gamecube seemed liek the last true console left.however i feel i got burned by gamecube.thats why i'm so sceptical of the wii.

HUnewearl_Meira
Aug 19, 2006, 07:44 PM
On 2006-08-14 16:45, Dangerous55 wrote:
Well I would be happy with one game for the 360, Elder Scrolls Oblivion. I know it is also on the PC but I don't got a DVD Drive and don't know how well it would run. Those games are amazing, they are a start to how games should be.

Dude... Xbox360 = $300 ~ $400... DVD-ROM = $20 ~ $30... Do the math... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

DarthMegatron
Aug 21, 2006, 04:45 AM
For those of you who don't know Nintendo is also making a "classic controller" for the Wii that you can use if you want to. It's sold separately though. Look it up in Gamepro if you don't believe me.

Zalana
Aug 21, 2006, 05:20 AM
Ah... I think I'll stick with the PS3. Price isn't a factor to me. And I'm burnt out on most Nintendo/Xbox 360 games right now.

DezoPenguin
Aug 21, 2006, 11:24 AM
This is a very strange thread. ^_^

To be honest, I have no idea what -- if any -- next-gen system I'm going to end up purchasing. To me, it's got jack to do with what yippy-skippy new technology each company is debuting. I don't care if a system has the potential capacity to run NORAD; the question is how that technology is implemented.

In short, it's all about the games.

One thing I've never done is bought a game system on launch day. I wait for things to develop. When games start coming out that interest me, then I start weighing how much I want games A, B, and C versus how much I want games X, Y, and Z. That's why I own a DS rather than a PSP; Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow + Phoenix Wright + $100 cheaper > Darkstalkers. Are there titles out there for PSP that I'd want? Sure, but not more than the ones for DS.

The advantages, as I see 'em, are:

1) I'm purchasing a system based on what I can actually do with it on the day I buy it.

2) By the time I snap one up, most often the glitches are worked out and the price has dropped a bit (I never had a problem with my PSX, for example).

Now, part of that comes from being an RPG fan; most of the time the RPGs never get out anywhere near launch, so I can afford to wait, but it works for me. And I have no "brand loyalty" -- I'll gladly ditch Sony for Microsoft if the games say so. At most, I have peripheral brand loyalty based on what systems my favorite game series come out on (if there was a Shadow Hearts 4, I'd have to give serious consideration to its system, for example).

It's simple cost-benefit analysis. What do I get, not hypothetically but in terms of real benefits, and how much do I have to pay for it?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DezoPenguin on 2006-08-21 09:28 ]</font>

OnnaWren
Aug 23, 2006, 04:57 PM
Wherever Phantasy Star goes, there, too, shall go I.

And Shadow Hearts. And Dragon Quest. And Wild ARMs (although I doubt it'd go anywhere but PS3, boo!).