PDA

View Full Version : 27 Games At Wii Launch

Skett
Aug 12, 2006, 01:06 AM
By 1UP's Mark Whiting, 08/11/2006

You heard that right. Twenty-seven confirmed launch titles.

Even a quick glance over the Wii's starting lineup should be enough to convince the skeptics that Nintendo plans on hitting that launch date harder than a Ryu shoryuken special.

Doubly impressive is the fact that -- unlike other console launches we could name -- there's more than just first-party titles on the menu this time around. Check the roster of big name third-party support -- games like Call of Duty 3, Trauma Center: Second Opinion and Madden NFL 07 are standing tall up there with Nintendo's coveted exclusives.

The full list breaks down like this:

Avatar: The Last Airbender - THQ
Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII - Ubisoft
Blitz: The League - Midway
Call of Duty 3 - Activision
Cars - THQ
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 - Atari
Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors - Square Enix
Elebits - Konami
Excite Truck - Nintendo
Far Cry - Ubisoft
GT Pro Series - Ubisoft
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers - Square Enix
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Nintendo
Madden NFL 07 - EA
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance - Activision
Metal Slug Anthology - SNK
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - Nintendo
Monster 4x4 World Circuit - Ubisoft
Need for Speed: Carbon - EA
Open Season - Ubisoft
Rayman Raving Rabbids - Ubisoft
Red Steel - Ubisoft
SpongeBob SquarePants: Creature from the Krusty Krab - THQ
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz - Sega
Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam - Activision
Trauma Center: Second Opinion - Atlus
Wii Sports - Nintendo

By way of comparison, when the Xbox 360 launched, it did so with 18 games -- and 11 of them were sports titles. PS3? Currently standing at 15 confirmed games available for its November 17 launch.
SOURCE: http://1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3152817

SKETT SAYS: Compared to Nintendo consoles of the past, this may be the best launch yet. Frankly, my only problem comes from THQ, proving once again that anybody can get a job making licensed crap and get payed.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skett on 2006-08-11 23:07 ]</font>

tank1
Aug 12, 2006, 06:12 AM
Also dont forget about the virtual console feature so technically the Wii has a laucnh set of about 427 games.

Tweengo
Aug 12, 2006, 06:32 AM
I just hope the Wii gets a whole load of sheld space in the shops (seriously, the Cube section in GAME now is so tiny you'll miss it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif ). If the PS3 has a bigger section on launch then it proves shops are biased towards Nintendo.

tank1
Aug 12, 2006, 07:41 AM
Well unless the chav population takes a massive fall in the U.K i think the ninty section will always be secound string.

Sayara
Aug 12, 2006, 09:04 AM
So a Zelda title takes place of a Mario game for release games at launch huh. Thats neat.

(Considering, Mario World was SNES's, Mario 64 was N64s, LUIGI's Mansion was NGCs and so forth.)

Akdov
Aug 12, 2006, 09:06 AM
Nintnedo is off to great start with a wide variety of games and some really impressive titles. Now Nintendo needs to learn how to pace themselves and balance third party titles and the virtual console to avoid burning themselves out like with the Gamecube.

Also I heard that Sega Genesis games will be available as well.

Moo2u
Aug 12, 2006, 09:51 AM
I'm kinda surprised Wario Ware isn't a launch title.

tank1
Aug 12, 2006, 10:07 AM
Im sure it will turn up soon after the Wii release.

MetaZedlen
Aug 12, 2006, 10:35 AM
i also heard that there is supposed to be a Super Smash Bros. title coming soon

Hrigg
Aug 12, 2006, 11:12 AM
Nice list for Wii!

I KNOW I'm getting a Wii now. ;o

Hrigg
Aug 12, 2006, 12:00 PM
Nice list, Nintendo.

They've got me excited. I now KNOW I will be getting a Wii.

Twilite
Aug 12, 2006, 12:29 PM
The list really only needs to be one: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. What more must be said?

DoctorShasta
Aug 12, 2006, 12:42 PM
A lot more can be said twilite, i remember the GC launch there was like one game I wanted maybe two now there is like 6 or 7 i want.

Skett
Aug 12, 2006, 12:58 PM
On 2006-08-12 08:35, Zedlen wrote:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl is to be released sometime in '07. Go here for more info: http://www.smashbros.com/en/index.html

VioletSkye
Aug 12, 2006, 02:02 PM
Definitely a great lineup for their launch. I've actually been pretty excited about getting a Wii for quite awhile now, far more so than the PS3. I'm getting a PS3 for my nephew for Christmas (my sister is getting him a Wii) but I doubt I'll buy one for myself for awhile. Metroid, Zelda and SpongeBob will keep me busy. Ok, maybe not SpongeBob, but the others http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-08-12 12:15 ]</font>

Wyndham
Aug 12, 2006, 04:27 PM
I'm getting a Wii a little after it comes out, a black one of course.

HUnewearl_Meira
Aug 14, 2006, 06:33 PM
Hands down, this will be the one purchase I make in this generation of consoles.

PandaMasterX4
Aug 14, 2006, 06:48 PM
On 2006-08-12 07:51, Moo2u wrote:
I'm kinda surprised Wario Ware isn't a launch title.

Warioware along with Mario Galaxy releases late november early december.

I'm sorry for posting the same topic as this one. I think the Wii is suppose to have 40+ games by the end of the year.

Moo2u
Aug 14, 2006, 11:26 PM
On 2006-08-12 08:35, Zedlen wrote:

I heard it was going to launch with the WiFi internet support. Can anyone back that up, or am I crazy? Either way, online Smash would be da bomb, yo.

Zarbolord
Aug 15, 2006, 07:34 AM
SSBB is gonna rock totally! Having 6 characters fighting gives us so many possibilities! Try this when you get it: Peach+Mario+Yoshi+Luigi against Bowser+BoswerJr. It's a fun battle, I like it. and the special effects are going to amaze us all too, the special attacks are really strong. I thought it was comming out in late November, so I'll have to wait? Oh well, it doesn't matter since Twilight and Metroid Prime 3 (=> MP3!?!) are comming out with the release.

Neith
Aug 15, 2006, 08:52 AM
Not a bad lineup, with the exception of THQ. THQ once again proving that sh*t sells.

I'm mainly interested in Crystal Chronicles, Red Steel and to an extent Twilight Princess (*gasp!*)

I'll be steering well clear of anything EA/THQ. I don't exactly relish the thought of another Need for Speed game either.

Feelmirath
Aug 15, 2006, 09:22 AM
Crystal Chronicles (Best. Idea. Ever.) and Twighlight Princess are 2 games I'm definately going out to buy on release.
SSBB, Sonic wild fire and Wario Ware can't come soon enough, either o:

EDIT: Whoops!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Feelmirath on 2006-08-15 07:30 ]</font>

Tweengo
Aug 15, 2006, 09:43 AM
I plan on getting Twilight Princess for the 'Cube. As for SSBB, I never knew you could have 6 fighters on the screen!!! Games I know I'll be getting once the Wii is out (and when I get a job.... :sob: ) are Red Steel, Metroid Prime, Sonic (maybe), Excite Truck, and whatever else tickles my fancy (Harvest Moon?)

Just to start digging Sony's grave in the portable world, EA said they're going to focus more on the DS than the PSP, as it's more fun orientated http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tweengo on 2006-08-15 07:44 ]</font>

Neith
Aug 15, 2006, 09:46 AM
EA said they're going to focus more on the DS than the PSP, as it's more fun orientated

Hang on, EA and FUN ORIENTATED?

Those two phrases just don't seem to mix very well http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Tweengo
Aug 15, 2006, 09:52 AM
Trust me, I saw it this morning in the gaming section of teletext on the news page (you'll know what I mean if you live in the UK).

Feelmirath
Aug 15, 2006, 10:18 AM
They have a gaming section on teletext?
HOLY SCHNAP!

DoctorShasta
Aug 15, 2006, 10:59 AM
Hahaha I agree uriko EA's games don't really strike me as fun-oriented

Lord_Kratos
Aug 15, 2006, 04:42 PM
i agree with twilite i ownly really need Metroid nuthin more. but zelda is nice too. so is every othere game on that list really except for spongebob ^-^
by the way whats the game that comes with the Wii when purchased? isnt it Zelda or something?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lord_Kratos on 2006-08-15 14:43 ]</font>

Rei-San
Aug 15, 2006, 07:24 PM
A Six-way brawl? You sure this isn't too Chaotic? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

I'm definatly getting the Wii when it comes out. I'm getting Twilight Princess for the Wii. And to answer Moo2u's question, yes, Brawl is Online. I'm gonna pwn you all with Shiek! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RayMaster on 2006-08-15 17:25 ]</font>

Bungee950
Aug 16, 2006, 04:51 PM
I thought Disaster: Day of Crisis was going to be on there.

Skett
Aug 16, 2006, 10:16 PM
On 2006-08-15 14:42, Lord_Kratos wrote:
by the way whats the game that comes with the Wii when purchased? isnt it Zelda or something?

Nothing is confirmed, but the most common rumor is that Wii Sports will come bundled with Wii. Many people believe Nintendo will share these details in their press conference for the games event in Germany.

McLaughlin
Aug 16, 2006, 10:34 PM
On 2006-08-15 07:43, Tweengo wrote:
Just to start digging Sony's grave in the portable world, EA said they're going to focus more on the DS than the PSP, as it's more fun orientated http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tweengo on 2006-08-15 07:44 ]</font>

PSP's already dead. DS is dominating the market. I saw this one commercial, it was like "...And the PSP at a great deal for only 229.99!!! Go fall in love with someone else...Like Steve."

I lol'd. As for the Wii, I've been stoked since the controller was unveiled. MP3:C, Zelda, Red Steel, several others that launch shortly after the console, SSBB fo sho! (They said in an interveiw in last month's NP issue that they'd incorporate WiFi if they could do it well, otherwise they won't)

Wii will rock you.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zeta on 2006-08-17 16:44 ]</font>

PandaMasterX4
Aug 18, 2006, 01:09 PM
On 2006-08-16 20:34, Zeta wrote:

On 2006-08-15 07:43, Tweengo wrote:

PSP's already dead. DS is dominating the market. I saw this one commercial, it was like "...And the PSP at a great deal for only 229.99!!! Go fall in love with someone else...Like Steve."

I lol'd. As for the Wii, I've been stoked since the controller was unveiled. MP3:C, Zelda, Red Steel, several others that launch shortly after the console, SSBB fo sho! (They said in an interveiw in last month's NP issue that they'd incorporate WiFi if they could do it well, otherwise they won't)

Wii will rock you.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zeta on 2006-08-17 16:44 ]</font>

For that price you can buy a Wii.

SubstanceD
Aug 18, 2006, 03:55 PM
On 2006-08-11 23:06, Skett wrote:
By 1UP's Mark Whiting, 08/11/2006

You heard that right. Twenty-seven confirmed launch titles.

Even a quick glance over the Wii's starting lineup should be enough to convince the skeptics that Nintendo plans on hitting that launch date harder than a Ryu shoryuken special.

Doubly impressive is the fact that -- unlike other console launches we could name -- there's more than just first-party titles on the menu this time around. Check the roster of big name third-party support -- games like Call of Duty 3, Trauma Center: Second Opinion and Madden NFL 07 are standing tall up there with Nintendo's coveted exclusives.

The full list breaks down like this:

Avatar: The Last Airbender - THQ
Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII - Ubisoft
Blitz: The League - Midway
Call of Duty 3 - Activision
Cars - THQ
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 - Atari
Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors - Square Enix
Elebits - Konami
Excite Truck - Nintendo
Far Cry - Ubisoft
GT Pro Series - Ubisoft
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers - Square Enix
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Nintendo
Madden NFL 07 - EA
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance - Activision
Metal Slug Anthology - SNK
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - Nintendo
Monster 4x4 World Circuit - Ubisoft
Need for Speed: Carbon - EA
Open Season - Ubisoft
Rayman Raving Rabbids - Ubisoft
Red Steel - Ubisoft
SpongeBob SquarePants: Creature from the Krusty Krab - THQ
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz - Sega
Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam - Activision
Trauma Center: Second Opinion - Atlus
Wii Sports - Nintendo

By way of comparison, when the Xbox 360 launched, it did so with 18 games -- and 11 of them were sports titles. PS3? Currently standing at 15 confirmed games available for its November 17 launch.
SOURCE: http://1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3152817

SKETT SAYS: Compared to Nintendo consoles of the past, this may be the best launch yet. Frankly, my only problem comes from THQ, proving once again that anybody can get a job making licensed crap and get payed.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skett on 2006-08-11 23:07 ]</font>

I May be skeptical about the Wii ( I am intimidated by the control scheme and the whole entire thing is too gimmicky ) but there is no denying the fact that is an impressive list of launch titles. The games that I am interested in are:

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicals
Legend of Zelda: Twiligt Princess
Metroid Prime: Corruption

I am also interested in Dragon Quest Swords although I will not cmit myself to this game untill I know more about it.

PandaMasterX4
Aug 18, 2006, 04:17 PM
I May be skeptical about the Wii ( I am intimidated by the control scheme and the whole entire thing is too gimmicky ) but there is no denying the fact that is an impressive list of launch titles. The games that I am interested in are:

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicals
Legend of Zelda: Twiligt Princess
Metroid Prime: Corruption

I am also interested in Dragon Quest Swords although I will not cmit myself to this game untill I know more about it.

"Playing is Believing." Zelda has never played nicer. Metroid feels like you're Samus. Mario is simpler to control than Mario 64. Sonic and Tony Hawk feel just right.

Millions doubted it honestly. You could even hear from developers pre-E3 that they weren't sure about the Wii. Once it rolled around into play, it got much more support than expect.

Capcom Pre-E3: We are interested in the Wii, but will probably release a game using the features it has available before releasing Resident Evil, just to be sure.

Capcom During E3: Resident Evil is confirmed for the Wii and it will be using full advantage of the wiimote.

ShadowDragon28
Aug 18, 2006, 06:41 PM
gonna get a the Nintendo Wii, a black one. I'm naming it "Black Wyvern" Definately getting LoZ:Twilight Princess for it, will pick up MP 3:C as well.

A rumor form EGM's Rumor guy, said Square-Enix may be working on Secret of Mana MMO for the Wii. I *pray* that it's true. I hope its like Seiken Denstsu 3 merged with PSU. *crosses fingers*...