PDA

View Full Version : Quick show of hands for college students....

BlackRose
Oct 30, 2002, 11:45 PM
I was at a college visit yesterday, and the rep of the Engineering department said that the average student at Iowa State (in engineering, I assume) spends 3 hours studying for every 1 hour in class.

Now, I have no idea what college will be like, but I can't help but laugh at that estimate.

For the college students here, do you spend that much time studying for your classes?

rbf2000
Oct 30, 2002, 11:51 PM
If you want to get good marks, you will do that.

I mean, you have so much free time, you might as well do the homework.

It also depends on the class.

But I am taking mostly classes I took in high school, so I don't need to study that much.

pixelate
Oct 31, 2002, 12:32 AM
There's actually some measure active in California where state colleges must give two hours of homework for every hour in class.

For me, I spend about one hour of time on homework for every four hours of class. But I'm an art student, soooo...

RuneLateralus
Oct 31, 2002, 02:37 AM
Well, for some of the gen-ed courses at my college, the assignments are not that difficult. The only "remotely" difficult for me are essays for English Comp II...and I have it in quotes because it isn't that hard.

My animation assignments do take a lot of work. I usually take up a few days to finish the Drawing for Animation I assignments. My Animation II storyboards (as cheap as some of them look) take maybe about 2-3 hours to complete...

But then again, like Pixelate, do not go by my word...I, too, am an art student.

LollipopLolita
Oct 31, 2002, 04:35 AM
study? what's study?

another art student. i don't even buy books.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LollipopLolita on 2002-10-31 01:38 ]</font>

KodiaX987
Oct 31, 2002, 10:09 AM
I study pure sciences and if that statement was true, I'd be dead.

On average for every hour of science class I go through, I have more or less half an hour of homework. The only exception is chemistry: for ever hour of class, you are assured to have two hours of frustration and cursing.

-BK-
Oct 31, 2002, 10:36 AM
I was a music major, there was no such thing as class. We had nap time and recess. If you're studying what you love, then you're going to absorbe the info anyways, without a lot of work. The 3 hours for every 1 hour class is a recommendation, I don't know many college students that actually pull it off.

Robert_Garcia
Oct 31, 2002, 11:23 AM
Yo!

Im taking a few gen-ed classes right now. Next semester, Im gonna work on my major a little (Musician till the end!). Some of the classes at my school, grade you pretty much on what you know. The homework is only a small percentage of the final grade. The majoity is participation, tests, quizzes, etc...

rbf2000
Oct 31, 2002, 11:39 AM
None of my classes actually check homework. But if you want to do well in the class, you will do it. It's really the only way to get practice with the material.

Robert_Garcia
Oct 31, 2002, 03:20 PM
True that...Its a good way to study and understand the material

-BK-
Oct 31, 2002, 03:36 PM
I can't think of a class I had that actually gave homework. I was able to focus just on the music. One class, we met at a club and it was required.

IceBlink
Oct 31, 2002, 05:43 PM
3 hours for 1 in class?

My classes are 5-6 hours a day, which equals 15-18 hours homework after classes, which means no time to sleep? o_O

Good thing I'm a art student. Hehe. ^_^;

geewj
Oct 31, 2002, 11:31 PM
Eh..I dont spend much time at all on homework. I never did tho.

Lucky, in half my clases im only graded on tests. So just study 2 days before the test and i can get an A in the class no problem. And i spend about half as much time on homework as i do in class for the classes i have homeowrk in.

Robert_Garcia
Oct 31, 2002, 11:47 PM
Question for all of you guys...

How many classes are you taking? How many units are they? and how long are they?

My class schedule:

Mon-Wed-Fri

Basic Math (3 units) - 1 hour
History of Rock & Roll (3 units) - 1 hour

Tues-Thurs

Economics (3 units) - 1 hour 20 min
Basic English (3 units) - 1 hour 20 min

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Robert_Garcia on 2002-10-31 20:49 ]</font>

Polysics
Nov 1, 2002, 04:21 AM
My schedule sucks.

MWF 8:35AM-1:50PM (Here's a tip, if you are NOT a morning person, start in the middle of the day)

Career Skills
Introduction to Computer-based Systems
Intermediate Algebra
Writing & Critical Analysis

All worth 3 credits each.

geewj
Nov 1, 2002, 05:33 AM
Psychology 100- T, TH- 11:10 - 12:55 (3 Credits)

English 100- T, TH- 1:35 - 3:25 (3 Credits)

Computer Science 111- F- 9:00 - 12:00 (5 Credits)

Or something like that....

Whatley
Nov 1, 2002, 10:16 AM
I spend about an hour or so on studying/homework. But it is only like one or two hours a week.

KodiaX987
Nov 1, 2002, 12:30 PM
Each period lasts 50 minutes.

MONDAY
Philosophy & Rationality (2 periods)
Generic Chemistry (2 periods)
Differential Calculus (3 periods)

TUESDAY
Algebra & Geometry (3 periods)
Generic Chemistry Lab (3 periods)
Computer Studies (3 periods)

WEDNESDAY
French (2 periods)
Generic Chemistry (1 period)
Philosophy & Rationality (2 periods)

THURSDAY
Algebra & Geometry (2 periods)
Differential Calculus (2 periods)

FRIDAY
Physical Education (2 periods)
French (2 periods)
Exams - Pure Sciences (3 periods - we get those about twice a month)

I say my schedule sucks royally... x.X

Robert_Garcia
Nov 1, 2002, 02:52 PM
How many units are those classes worth?

KodiaX987
Nov 1, 2002, 03:44 PM
No "credits" per se. The rule is "Do them all, or forget moving to University" Normally a CEGEP (in-between high school and uni) lasts two years. But you can make it three or four or whatever how many years you want to reduce the workload. I, like everyone, am going for two years. Basically, if you don't do one class now, you'll have to do it later anyways.

Lileya
Nov 1, 2002, 04:52 PM
On 2002-10-31 07:09, KodiaX987 wrote:
I study pure sciences and if that statement was true, I'd be dead.

On average for every hour of science class I go through, I have more or less half an hour of homework. The only exception is chemistry: for ever hour of class, you are assured to have two hours of frustration and cursing.

Well you know, cegep is just cegep. =/ Wait at university, you'll probably follow this 1 hour of course for 3 hours of homework rule too X_x

RuneLateralus
Nov 1, 2002, 05:10 PM
My schedule is pretty easy

Monday:
Drawing for Animation I (3 credits)
Philosophy-day 1 (1.5 credit per day)

Tuesday
Animation II (4 credits)

Wednesday
Geology (3 credits)
Philosophy-day 2 (1.5 credits per day)

Thursday
No classes

Friday
English Composition II (3 credits)

16 credits this semester. I already got 32 from last semester

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RuneLateralus on 2002-11-01 14:37 ]</font>

rbf2000
Nov 1, 2002, 05:22 PM
Sure, while we're at it:

Monday:
12:30-1:20 English 101 3 credits
2:30-4:20 Calculus 4 credits

Tuesday:
10:30-11:45 Computer science 4 credits

Wednesday:
9:30-10:20 Calc recitation 0 credits
10:30-11:45 Western civ 3 credits
12:30-1:20 English 101
2:30-4:20 Calculus

Thursday:
10:30-11:45 Computer science

Friday:
8:30-9:20 CS recitation 0 credits
12:30-1:20 English

For a grand total of 14 credits.

But I'm allowed to slack off some, I came into school with 11 credits.

LollipopLolita
Nov 1, 2002, 08:29 PM
am i the only one in grad school?

-BK-
Nov 1, 2002, 11:15 PM
On 2002-11-01 17:29, LollipopLolita wrote:
am i the only one in grad school?

I guess, cause I'm out. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Robert_Garcia
Nov 2, 2002, 03:50 AM
Ok...next question for you guys:

What do you like and/or hate about college?

Whatley
Nov 4, 2002, 04:59 PM
I hate the people who asks for their class book, but still don't know the name of it after being in the class for 8 weeks.

I work in a community college library.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Whatley on 2002-11-04 14:00 ]</font>

geewj
Nov 4, 2002, 06:42 PM
Hates-
School

Likes-

OracleDDX
Nov 8, 2002, 08:48 AM
Likes School

US Government 2302 - MW
US History Post Civil War 2302 - T/Th
American Literature 2303 - T/Th
Collage Algebra 1301 - T/Th
Karate 1301 - W/M

Hey everyone whats up?

RuneLateralus
Nov 8, 2002, 11:50 AM
What I like about college? The classes and people in the classes. It is what makes it more interesting and fun. And the Thursday off is a nice little break for me.

What I hate? Wednesdays. Off all the days of class, this is my least favorite. I really do not care for Philosophy, and while the Geology class is pretty cool, I can't really stay up for it. The main thing I hate is commuting. I wish I could just get back from class and crash, but I got an hour train ride after classes in order to get home. I would love to stay down here, but housing and even dorms are too expensive here.

Robert_Garcia
Nov 8, 2002, 12:25 PM
What I like about school is on MWF on the last half of my day. My last class is History of Rock & Roll, where we pretty much listen to rock music and take notes. On Friday's after class, I head on over to the Campus Center to go to my club meeting (Im in the school Anime club) where one of the members either brings an anime for everyone to watch or bring their consoles from home so everyone can go head-to head in Smash Bros. or King of Fighters etc...

What I hate most is Tuesdays and Thurdays: Economics and English...ugh!

-BK-
Nov 8, 2002, 02:27 PM
I had History of Popular Music for my major, that was great. Nothing will beat having class at a nightclub, though. Battle of the Bands and it was manditory to be there.http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_beer.gif

Robert_Garcia
Nov 9, 2002, 08:54 PM
On 2002-11-08 11:27, hagakura wrote:
I had History of Popular Music for my major, that was great. Nothing will beat having class at a nightclub, though. Battle of the Bands and it was manditory to be there.http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_beer.gif

Lucky bastard... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

DirewolfX
Nov 10, 2002, 06:35 PM
Hmm... it seems most people in here are not Engineers, so I think I'll give the original poster some insight into what it's like for an Engineer.

This semester I am taking:
Computer Science 211 (Data Structures and OOP)
Computer Science 280 (Discrete Math)
Math 294 (Linear Algebra)
Japanese 241 (Hmm... ^_~)

CS211 generally gives an assignment every 2-3 weeks which you are expected to spend eight to ten hours on with a partner (versus about three hours/week of class). I generally get my part done in under two hours, but CS is my major and I find the assignments to be quite fun.

CS280 has weekly homework assignments which take me about an hour to finish (versus again three hours/week of class). My friends say they take longer on them. I also spend about an hour or two meeting with them to go over it (we could do this faster, but we get sidetracked... or we leave the TV on).

Math 294 is also about an hour or two worth of homework for four hours/week of class time. Math 293 homeworks used to take twice as long though. Linear Algebra is kind of a break compared to differential calculus.

And I'm taking Japanese pass/fail, but I'd say they give a good two hours of homework each night for one hour of class time each day (five hours/week). That's not really an engineering requirement though. I just like anime and video games too much ^_~.

It will all depend a lot on which major you're in though. I know Electrical Engineers spend much more time doing homework... and it also depends a great deal on your ability in the given subject area. I can get my CS homework done really fast, but it took me more time to do my HW last year when I was taking other classes... and, of course, as you get to higher level classes, I'm told the workload increases.