PDA

View Full Version : Eek.. Router issues, need help

Vandal
Oct 31, 2002, 02:38 AM
I can't get online through my router, but when I just connect my GC to my cable modem it works. No matter what correct settings I put in my GC (manual and automatic SEEM to work), some of the lights on my router go off by its connection when it tries to reach the servers, then it can't find the DNS server and errors out. I can alter any of the settings in my router if anyone knows what to do.. Its a Linksys BEFSR41, fairly common.

kobun_chan
Oct 31, 2002, 03:39 AM
for me i just used the cd that came with the router it was a lot easier than goign in there manually inputting everything. my isp uses dhcp so everything was auto detect. i didnt have to put in any numbers just popped the cd in and it configured everything for me. if you have the cd that came with it id try doing that and you shoud be able to get online. only other thing u might wanna do is test the 2nd network cable to make sure its good. this one time my friend got a cross over cable on accident and was wondering why it wasnt working with the routher >_<

Vandal
Oct 31, 2002, 08:23 AM
My roomate is such an inconsiderate prick. He just sits there and keeps playing DAoC and has the nerve to whine at me when I try to change things on the router that he refuses to mess with. Stupid ass. He doesn't even have the CD for his router any more. Are you saying I should go for the default settings?

jazzyfox
Oct 31, 2002, 09:39 AM
My guess would be that the router doesn't know where the DNS server is, and thus isn't telling any DHCP clients where it is. Take a look at your computer or something else that sits behind the router and works, then input the DNS server specified there on the network setup on the GC, instead of having it auto-get. (Just for DNS though, it sounds like it's getting an IP address fine, leave that auto.) It's worth a shot.

Vandal
Oct 31, 2002, 06:35 PM
After a bit of a scuffle Pham (roomate) actually looked at his router, reset it to its defaults, I reset all of PSO's settings to auto detect, and it worked... The lights still go out under the activity light, but it doesn't seem to matter. Anyways I'm just glad its worked out now and I hope to see you all there soon ^_^